Chapter 16

Something More Than Love

With a heavy heart, Yerin somehow found the strength to place the lid back on the box before pushing herself up to sit on the couch. Amidst all the shocked expressions, she stared solely to the ground, eyes filled with emptiness.

 

“Let me take him to the lab, Yerin-unnie,” Umji, exuding a leadership quality, told the heartbroken girl as she delicately took a hold of the box. “We should preserve it for now, and give Mr. Quack Quack a proper burial.” Yerin slowly nodded once, agreeing with the young girl. As Umji left the room, her eyes met with Yuju who gave her a remorseful smile.

 

“Yerin-ah, I'm so sorry,” SinB tenderly said, striding towards the couch to sit next to her girlfriend. She latched her arm underneath the older girl’s, hoping that Yerin would look at her. To her dismay, Yerin continued to stare holes at the polished, wooden floor, not even blinking once.

 

“Who does Virgo think he is? The Joker?” Eunha spoke spitefully. “Let's see how he likes getting his throat slashed.” Her eyes seethed with anger as the color changed from a chocolate brown to a wicked green. Revenge and murder was on Eunha’s mind. But, as her bloodthirsty gaze met with Sowon’s frightened expression, she quickly tried to subdue her ferocity.

 

With every tick and every tock of the living room’s grandfather clock, SinB’s apprehension grew. She desperately wanted the older girl to speak, move, do anything to indicate some kind of emotion. After what felt like an eternity, Yerin took in a breath as she straightened her posture. Her eyes looked up, but instead of meeting SinB’s worried orbs, they focused directly on Sowon and Yuju who were standing at a distance to convey their condolences.

 

Yerin cleared before addressing the pair monotonously. “Sowon-ssi and Yuju-ssi, go gather your things. I'm taking you two home.” For the first time that day, Yerin finally looked at SinB, expression missing the familiar warmth. “SinB-ah, I want you to go with them. At least for the night.”

 

“What about fighting Virgo?” SinB asked with knitted eyebrows, unraveling her arm away from Yerin’s stiff limb.

 

“If Virgo is going to pull tricks like this, it's best if you don't intervene,” Yerin responded sternly, standing up from the couch.

 

“No,” SinB firmly resisted, shaking her head. “I did not just spend hours training in that stuffy gym just for you to say that you no longer need me.” She abruptly stood up to meet Yerin’s level. “Yerin-ah, I understand that you want to protect me. But, you're forgetting that Virgo is my problem, too.”

 

“It’s not that I no longer need you, SinB-ah. It's just...what if something happens to you?” Yerin pleaded, hoping to convince SinB that she shouldn't be a part of the battle. “This is why I was so worried and hesitant about our relationship ever coming to fruition…because I'm scared, SinB-ah. I'm scared that I'm going to lose another person who I care about  to a menace like Virgo.” Her eyes stared deeply into SinB’s. “If that ever happens, I don't think I could ever forgive myself.” Tears collected in her eyes until she blinked with the finality of her last sentence.

 

It was first time SinB has ever seen the older girl cry. For the duration she has known her, Yerin has always put up an emotional guard. She always made sure to be strong for others. But, who was going to be there when she needed someone to be strong for her?

 

SinB took a step forward closer to Yerin and proceeded to wipe the older girl’s tears away with her thumb.

 

“Depend on me,” SinB gently whispered. “You can depend on me, Yerin-ah.” A sweet smile glowed on her face as she breathed out a small laugh. “You saw how cool I was the other day when I put a stake in that last vampire who tried to sneak up on me.” A ghost of a smile formed on the corners of Yerin’s lips at the memory. “You're tough. I'm tough. Together, we are force to be reckon with.”

 

“Include Umji and me,” Eunha chimed in, “and Virgo and his army of buffoons will certainly regret ever messing with any one of us.”

 

“Don't forget about Yuju and me,” Sowon hesitantly joined the conversation. “I know that we don’t possess powers or amazing fighting abilities. But, we’ll do anything to help.”

 

“Are you sure, Sowon-unnie? Yuju-unnie?” SinB asked. “I don’t want you two to risk your safety in this severely dangerous situation that doesn’t even pertain to you two.”

 

“But, it does pertain to us, SinB-ah,” Yuju graciously responded. “We’re your best friends, and we’re going to stick with you through the thick and thin. No matter how life-threatening it seems.”

 

Both Yuju and Sowon walked closer to where SinB stood. Smiles filled with care were exchanged between the three friends. For the umpteenth time, SinB could not believe how supportive Sowon and Yuju were. Though not the type to freely give hugs, she threw her arms around her best friends who engulfed the younger girl with a reassuring hug of their own.

 

Entering back into the living room, Umji took timid steps towards Eunha who had her arms folded behind her back as she watched the group of friends in their bear hug of an embrace.

 

“What’s going on, Unnie?” Umji softly asked the older girl, eyes filled with inquiry.

 

“It appears that Sowon-ssi and Yuju-ssi are willing to take part in our crusade of ceasing Virgo,” Eunha quietly informed the young girl. “Those dimwits don’t know what their getting themselves into. But, I must say that their unbreakable solidarity is admirable.” As she continued to stare, an unusual sense of empathy warmed her unbeating heart.

 

“Come on, Yerin-ssi,” Sowon addressed the older girl who stood several steps away from them. She released an arm off of SinB and extended it to the vampire. “If you’re going to be in a relationship with this stubborn girl here, then you’re going to also have to put up with us,” she jokingly advised.

 

Yerin proceeded to drape one arm around Sowon’s shoulders while placing her other arm around SinB’s waist. She and the younger girl exchanged comfortable gazes and affectionate smiles before returning their attention to the rest of the group.

 

Yuju looked behind her and noticed that the two other vampires were standing awkwardly to the side, appearing to feel left out. With her biggest, friendliest grin, Yuju pulled her arm away from Sowon’s embrace while taking a few steps back to widen the circle.

 

“Umji-ssi! Eunha-ssi!” Yuju called out to the pair. “There’s plenty of room for the two of you to join us.”

 

The pair slowly walked towards the group with trepid footsteps. Umji was the first to be engulfed by Yuju’s embrace while Eunha was bold enough to freely wrap her arm around Sowon’s slender frame.

 

All six of them huddled closer together, exchanging smiles and anxious giggles filled with suppressed giddiness of being in close proximity to their crush.

 

“Okay, everyone,” Yerin broke into team leader mode. “It’s apparent that Virgo used the death of Mr. Quack Quack as some kind of sick, sadistic calling card. He wants a fight. Most likely in the forest where the pond is located. And, him being the cliche villain that he is, he probably wants to meet deep in the night. In the meantime, I want all of us to prepare.”

 

Her eyes landed towards Umji whose cheeks were rosy due to Yuju’s arm wrapped firmly over her shoulders. “Umji-ya, take Sowon-ssi and Yuju-ssi into the artillery room,” Yerin ordered. “Fill up as many water guns with garlic water as you can and sharpen our supply of wooden stakes. I want them to be so sharp that a meager strike to heart turns those scumbags into worthless particles of dust.” Umji obediently nodded her head.

 

Yerin darted her attention between her girlfriend and her best friend. “SinB-ah. Eunha-ya. You two are with me in the training room. We need to seek any improvements and prepare ourselves for whatever attacks Virgo and his minions have arranged for us.” The two indicated their understanding with jittery nods of their heads.

 

Though unreadable on the outside, Yerin was filled to the brim with apprehension in the inside. She quickly glanced at Eunha and Umji's determined faces, then at Sowon and Yuju who masked their agitation with furrowed brows, and lastly at SinB whose eyes gleamed as if to say, “We can do this. Right?”

 

Swallowing the lump in , Yerin straightened her hunched shoulders. “Is everybody ready?” She tried to sound confident, but her tone contained a hint of troubling doubt.

 

From the lack of an instant response, Yerin could tell that everyone in the room could sense that she, their own leader, was having second thoughts. Yerin’s shoulders began to slowly slouch.

 

“Si vis pacem, para bellum,” Eunha shattered the silence, quoting a Latin phrase. “If you want peace, prepare for war.” The circle of girls directed their attention to the prim girl. “Please do not misinterpret our disquietude. If it was only Yerin, Umji, and me battling Virgo and how many lackeys he brought with him, we would probably have this whole situation under control and without any complaints. But, with three humans in our care, you can't blame us for feeling a tad concerned. Especially since some of us have developed unnerving emotions for one another.” She side-eyed Sowon whose neutral expression grew into a wide smile. Eunha, then, stared directly at Yerin with a coy, yet supportive demeanor.

 

“Couldn't say it any better myself,” Yerin replied, her spirits revived. “There's another phrase that the Sisters of the Night like to remind each other when times get daunting. Carpe Noctem. ‘Seize the night.’ Tonight, we shall flourish. Tonight, we may finally be at peace.”

 

 

“Umphf,” SinB groaned as her back landed on the practice mat of the training room.

 

Her eyes flittered open to the sight of an unimpressed Eunha slightly panting as she placed her hands on her hips. Yerin was off to the side examining how SinB would fare with another vampire during a brawl. Her face was concentrated as she weighed the younger girl’s strengths and weaknesses in her mind.

 

“Although I have fantasized about you lying helpless and vulnerable countless times,” Eunha mildly gloated, peering down at an exhausted SinB, “I’m surprised at how unsatisfied I feel now that it's come to actuality.”

 

“Gee. You’re such a saint,” SinB huffed out between heavy breaths, tone saturated with sarcasm.

 

Eunha glanced at SinB one last time before darting her eyes away. Though she wore a peeved expression, she took one hand away from her side as she extended it out for SinB to hold. Hesitant at first, SinB looked at the prideful girl’s hand with questioning eyes. Cautiously, she sat  up and proceeded to grab onto the dainty hand, using it as leverage to pull herself off the ground.

 

Once she stood up on her feet, SinB began to straighten her clothes, brushing off any dirt. For a split second, her eyes met with Eunha’s fierce gaze. Taken aback, SinB decided to give the older girl a quick bow, a bit afraid to express her gratitude verbally. Keeping up their silent exchange, Eunha simply nodded her head in acknowledgement before retreating to the side of the room for a replenish of blood.

 

Yerin walked towards the younger girl who was pushing back her disheveled hair away from her sweat streaked face. Using the towel that she had draped over her shoulder, Yerin assisted SinB by blotting the droplets of perspiration off the sides of the younger girl’s face. SinB smiled at the older girl’s chivalry.

 

“You did good today, SinB-ah,” Yerin complimented her girlfriend with a small smile.

 

“But, not good enough?” SinB quietly spoke, lacking confidence.

 

“I know that you're worried about tonight, but you should really give yourself more credit,” Yerin tried to cheer up the younger girl. “Not a lot of people have the physical capacity to face Eunha as long as you did.”

 

“She's right,” Eunha interrupted, sitting prettily on one of the resting benches. “I once accidentally gave a client a bloody nose during a sparring session.” SinB’s eyes went wide as Yerin motioned her to stop talking. “What?” she replied nonchalantly. “She was testing me, so I tested her back.”

 

“Pay no mind to Eunha. We've been working on her attitude problems for the past four decades, or so,” Yerin assured SinB. “The main thing is that you got the basic movements down. Just remember to harness your fear and use that to propel your strength when you attack. And, no matter what kind of abilities the vampire may have, never let them out of your sight. Show them...”

 

“...who’s the boss. I know,” SinB finished the older girl’s sentence. “I just don’t want you to have to worry about me too much.”

 

“SinB-ah, it’s absolutely normal to feel worried towards those whom you care about,” Yerin gently spoke. “But, if you’re that distressed,” she said while placing a warm hand on SinB’s cheek, “just know that I have faith in you and that I know you’re completely headstrong and capable.” Yerin’s eyes shaped into crescents at the sight of her girlfriend’s bright smile coming out of hiding. “Since I don’t want you to overexert yourself, I think it’s best if you saved your strength and examine Eunha and me as we go head to head.”

 

“Sounds good,” SinB cheerfully replied as she took the towel away from Yerin’s hand and used it to playfully smack the older girl’s backside before flashing a toothy grin and moonwalking to one of the benches.

 

Laughter escaped Yerin’s mouth while she turned her attention to Eunha who had her poker face on. “Eunha-ya,” she called the posh girl to attention. “You. Me. Right now. Don’t hold back,” Yerin announced, turning her head to the side to transform into the vampire within.

 

“As if I ever did,” Eunha arrogantly responded, fangs already proudly protruded and eyes burning with an intense green hue.

 

The two longtime friends took their places on the center of the mat. Both carried a single plastic stake replica in their hands. Taking several steps backwards away from each other, they proceeded to simultaneously bow to one another. Suddenly a bell, similar to that used in boxing matches, was heard, and the two vampires sprung forth at an incredible speed. Eunha was quick to throw a jab at Yerin’s stomach. Though the older girl slightly stumbled, she reclaimed her bearings and blocked the next punch to the face that Eunha executed. Yerin swung her leg to kick her opponent, but Eunha was able to grab onto the older girl’s foot mid-swing, twisting it and applying force which caused Yerin to fall to the floor.

 

As SinB watched, she was surprised to witness how proficient Eunha’s skills were as a fighter. Clearly, she wasn’t just all bark and no bite. But, another thought surfaced into SinB’s mind. As she recalled, Yerin’s special power was to create force fields. So, why didn’t the older girl just use it continuously to avoid the physical assault?

 

Yerin hastily picked herself up, and SinB could tell that her girlfriend was tediously calculating her next move to gain the advantage. With the hand that held the stake, Yerin swung it towards Eunha who immediately crossed her arms to shield her chest. But, the older girl only pretended to swing her stake. With Eunha now in a vulnerable position, Yerin took it as an opportunity to kick the younger girl’s legs which forced her to topple to the ground. Realizing her mistake, Eunha sat herself up, hoping to just lash out on the older girl with her stake at whatever chance she got. But, the plastic replica was no longer in her hand. Feverently, Eunha looked around the padded floor in search for her weapon. With Yerin’s shadow blocking her light, Eunha’s eyes trailed up and noticed that her best friend cunningly had both her’s and her own stake gripped in each hand.

 

Springing up off the floor, Eunha somehow managed to headbutt the girl which soon proved to be fruitless as Yerin appeared to be unaffected. Evening the odds, Yerin purposefully dropped both stakes to the ground, earning a confused look from the younger girl. Eunha threw a powerful punch towards Yerin’s face in which she coolly blocked. The two continued to engage in a series of jabs and blocks until it was apparent that Eunha was growing tired.

 

As the younger girl’s fist soared in the air, Yerin opened her palm and clenched her fingers around Eunha’s hand as soon as it made contact. In a desperate attempt, Eunha tried to headbutt the older girl again, but Yerin managed to reciprocate the blow with an even more forceful headbutt of her own. With her energy drained out, Eunha let herself be thrown to the ground with Yerin straddling her, stake ready to pierce her heart.

 

Before the situation got heavy, Yerin flicked her head to the side, transforming back to her lovable demeanor. She tossed the stake away as she picked herself off of a fatigued Eunha whose vibrant, green eyes began to fade and fangs became nonexistent. Being the gentlewoman she is, Yerin extended both of her hands to Eunha who defeatedly held onto them as the older girl proceeded to lift her to a standing position.

 

Eunha blankly looked at Yerin who gazed back at her with a friendly smile. Using her index finger, Eunha started to peskily nudge at Yerin’s collarbone as a devious smirk formed on her lips. “Next time,” she ominously said, turning and backing away from the older girl. Gathering up her belongings, Eunha sashayed out of the training room.

 

“Is Eunha-unnie okay?” SinB asked, walking towards and handling the older girl her blood-contained water bottle.

 

“Don’t worry about her,” Yerin gregariously replied, silently thanking SinB as she grabbed the bottle to take a sip. “Just give her time to refuel, and she’ll bounce back to the snarky Eunha that we’ve all come to love.”

 

“I guess that's just the effects of being beaten by a fighter of your caliber,” SinB praised Yerin who cutely winked in response. “But, how come you don't just use your force field to block Eunha-unnie’s attacks. Wouldn't things be so much easier that way?”

 

“Of course,” Yerin admitted. “But, I don't like to completely rely on my special power. I prefer to make use of these typical, vampire abilities that I comes slightly more natural to me. The force field is primarily used in dire situations…or when I want to impress someone,” she confessed bashfully.

 

“Dork,” SinB jokingly teased.

 

“But, yet you still like me,” Yerin playfully added as she grinned ear to ear.

 

Shaking her head in amusement, SinB took a step closer and placed her hand on Yerin’s chest. The absence of the older girl’s pulse was somewhat comforting. It was an odd reminder that this was Yerin. Her Yerin. Kind. Considerate. Brave. It was depressing to think that in a matter of hours they would either celebrate in victory or rummage in defeat. She dared not imagine the inevitable problems and complications associated with either conclusions.

 

In order to distract herself from her growing anxiety, SinB stared into Yerin’s dark chocolate eyes. The same eyes that hypnotized her an untold number of times. Her gaze continued to make its way down to Yerin’s lips. There were many instances where she wished they could move a bit faster in their relationship. With the uncertainty of their future, would there be any harm in, at least, attempting to make a move?

 

Slowly leaning forward, SinB placed a light, feathery kiss directly on her girlfriend’s lips. Not on the corner or off to the side, but strictly right in the middle of Yerin’s velvety lips. Expecting it to be sweet and innocent, SinB was surprised to feel a strange current sweeping through her entire body. It was like an electric shock of love.

 

SinB had to take a step back, in fear of losing her self-control. To her surprise, Yerin also took a tentative step away. Did she feel it, too? SinB thought as her eyes went wide and gaped open. She glanced at Yerin who was undoubtedly flustered from that simple kiss.

 

“Um, maybe I should go check on Sowon and Yuju,” SinB awkwardly tried to excuse herself as she got a grip on her emotions. She took hasty steps towards the door, cheeks blushing madly.

 

“Wait, SinB-ah,” Yerin blurted, causing the younger girl to stop just a few feet from the exit. In a couple of brisk strides, Yerin was in front of SinB. Eyes were intense as she scanned her girlfriend’s face, taking in every feature and all her imperfections. Before her mind flooded with fearful thoughts concerning Virgo, Yerin shoved it all to the side. If something terrible was going to happen tonight, she didn't want to regret never giving SinB the pivotal kiss she deserves.

 

Like magnets, their lips eagerly locked to one another. It was desperate, yet infused with so much want and need. Yerin placed a hand behind SinB’s neck. SinB steadied herself by placing her hands on Yerin’s shoulders. There was barely any movement, and there didn’t need to be. Because that one kiss alone held so much passion and fervor that it made both of their hearts burst like fireworks from fulfillment.

 

Knowing that SinB would soon need to take a breather, Yerin released the kiss. Chests heaving in and out, the two melted into each other with a much needed embrace. Heads rested on one another’s shoulders.

 

Yerin whispered tenderly into SinB’s ear, “Amor omnia vincit. Love conquers all.”