Chapter 11 (Part 1)

Something More Than Love

Author’s Note: Hey, everyone! As you can see, I split Chapter 11 into two parts since it felt a bit too long. This first part focuses on SinRin, while the next part focuses on the rest of GFriend. Enjoy ^^


 

SinB was running as fast as she could through the maze of trees. Though it was still day time, she had no clue what direction she was going. The weather was cold and foggy, making it difficult to see a clear path out of the eerie forest and back into civilization.

 

She should have known it would come to this.

 

After all, she did fall in love with a vampire.

 

Yerin was close behind her, gaining incredible speed. In reality, she could have surpassed the mere mortal minutes ago. But, Yerin has always enjoyed the thrill of chasing her prey.

 

Shielding herself from branches and jumping over tree stumps, SinB did not want to give up that easily. Wiping the sweat off her brow, SinB saw the familiar park that Yerin previously took her to about a mile away. In disbelief, she rubbed her eyes and saw Yuju and Sowon joyously playing on the swings. A flicker of hope gave SinB a much needed push to run faster. Even though it felt like her lungs were on fire, she took in a big breath and tried to yell out to her friends for help with all her might. “Sowon! Yuju!”

 

But the energy she dispelled was useless as she tripped and tumbled to the ground. SinB laid on the bed of fallen leaves and dirt, tired and exhausted. Her lungs continued to ache as she heaved for oxygen.

 

The sound of footsteps crunching on leaves made SinB realize that the battle wasn't over. Yerin took her time as she made her way to the decrepit girl, knowing that there wasn’t an ounce of stamina left in her. Face filled with egotism, Yerin slowly bent down to her knees next to SinB’s body. She looked at SinB as if she was a delicious three-course meal, her lips and fangs in delight.

 

SinB wanted to move, desperately. But, it was like her entire lower body turned to stone. All she could do was lay there and wait for Yerin’s hunger to strike.

 

Yerin nuzzled her face up to SinB’s neck, smelling the fear that emanated from the young, frightened girl. SinB could feel Yerin’s scorching, eager breath on the patch of skin just below her jaw.

 

SinB gasped her last gasp.

 

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

 

SinB jolted, sitting up in her bed, when she heard the sound of her alarm clock on her phone go off. Her heart was beating rapidly in her chest from the noise and from her nightmare. Frazzled, she quickly hit the snooze button to silence the annoying sound and turned it off. She glanced at the time. 8:00 am.

 

Pushing back her messy hair out of her face, SinB examined the room. It was the same apartment she's been living in for the past three months. The bed she laid on was the same bed she's been sleeping on for the same amount of time. But, why did it feel like there was something extremely out of place?

 

Without warning, SinB saw her bathroom door open. Out came Yerin drying her damp hair with a towel. She wore a loose-fitted, red shirt and black shorts, exposing her milky legs. SinB’s eyebrows shot up, immediately blushing at the sight of the older girl.

 

“Oh, good,” Yerin cheerfully acknowledged SinB, as she closed the bathroom door behind her. “You're awake.” She bustled towards SinB, playfully throwing the towel at her and jumping into the bed. “You usually go through five snooze alarms before I have to wake you up,” Yerin teased, her voice more perkier than what SinB was accustomed to.

 

SinB tossed the moist towel off to the side on her night stand, confused and taken aback by Yerin’s expressive nature. The older girl giggled, but her amusement was replaced with a mischievous glint in her eyes. She scooted closer to SinB, leaning her head forward so that they were eye to eye.

 

“You know, I could forgive you for your laziness...,” Yerin said quietly, as she looked into SinB’s bewildered eyes. She, then, s one arm behind SinB’s back, causing the younger girl’s breath to hitch. “...But, I could never forgive you for always stealing Mr. Quack Quack from me in your sleep.” Yerin proceeded to extract an adorable plush toy in the shape of a rubber duck that was hiding behind SinB. She took the plush duck in her arms, squeezing it with all her might. The confusion on SinB’s face cleared up as a smile formed on her lips at the sight of Yerin being absolutely precious.

 

“Mianhae, Yerin-unn…Yerin-ah,” SinB addressed the older girl, quickly changing the honorific to sound less formal. “It must be because I had a nightmare last night.” SinB replaced her smile with a cute, innocent pout.

 

“Omo,” Yerin genuinely sounded concerned as her eyes became wide. She sat on the bed with her legs crossed facing SinB, letting the toy duck sit on her lap. “What happened in your dream?”

 

“I dreamt that you were a vampire and that you were chasing me in the forest. I woke up when I felt your fangs sink into my skin,” SinB meekly replied.

 

“Oh, that's terrible,” Yerin sympathized as she went up closer to SinB. She sat herself on the unoccupied side of the bed, putting an arm around the younger girl. “My poor SinB-ah. Don't worry, I’m not a vampire,” she said reassuringly, snuggling up to SinB so that their foreheads were touching. “But, that still doesn't give you an excuse to take my Mr. Quack Quack,” she reverted her nurturing tone to something more blunt, earning a playful shove from SinB.

 

That was when SinB knew that she was still stuck in a dreamworld. The Yerin she knew was obviously a vampire. But, the Yerin she knew was also very hesitant when it came to expressing her feelings. Yerin always had to put up a boundary, and it sometimes frustrated SinB.

 

“Relax, SinB-ah. If I ever become a vampire, I promise to never your blood,” Yerin, who still had her arm draped around SinB’s shoulders, told her with a hint of aegyo. “I’ve seen the things you eat. I doubt your blood will be appetizing, anyways,” Yerin made another quip, causing SinB to grab the duck plush away from Yerin’s lap in retaliation.

 

SinB shielded the toy duck in her arms, turning her back away from Yerin who tried to retrieve it. “Come on, Mr. Quack Quack,” SinB pretended to sound angry, “Yerin-ah is being a big meanie this morning.” She looked over her shoulder to give Yerin a phony death stare before returning her attention to the plush duck that she had smushed against her chest.

 

With a big grin on her face, Yerin gave up the struggle as an idea popped into her head. “I take it back, SinB-ah. If I was ever a vampire, I would never give up on the chance of nibbling on your neck.”

 

SinB didn't have to look back at Yerin to know that the older girl’s smile was huge, pleased with her flirtatious comment. With all this still being a dream, SinB figured that there was no harm in having a little fun.

 

She turned her body to face Yerin who was laying on her side with her arm propped up on a pillow to rest her head. “Why wait until you're a vampire when you're perfectly capable as a human?” SinB retorted in her own provocative way.

 

Yerin smirked. “What about your class?” she said in a hushed tone, staring at SinB intensely.

 

SinB shrugged. “I'm always late, anyways.”

 

Smiling in delight, Yerin removed the toy away from SinB’s arms, flinging it to the other end of the bed. She proceeded to climb on top of SinB, lightly pushing the younger girl to lay back, so that her neck was exposed. Yerin’s lips pounced onto the sensitive part of SinB’s neck below her jawline. SinB found her hands passionately make their way inside Yerin’s shirt, fingertips grazing the smooth skin. It felt like bliss, sheer bliss. SinB closed her eyes, letting the sensations take over her.

 

A moan escaped .


 

SinB’s eyes shot open as she took in quick, steady breaths. She felt flustered as she thought about her dream, or more so, her dream within a dream. Rays of sunshine peeked through the apartment curtains. SinB grabbed her phone off the nightstand to check the time. Wednesday 2:08 pm.

 

She couldn't believe that she slept into the afternoon two days in a row. But, she did stay up deep into the night talking to a particular vampire who had invaded her dreams yet again. Speaking of said vampire, SinB couldn't see Yerin beyond her peripheral.

 

Figuring that the older girl was probably in the bathroom, SinB decided to untangle herself from her blanket and get out of bed. Before her feet could hit the floor, though, she peered down and noticed that Yerin was sleeping on the ground beside her bed. The older girl laid on her back with one hand resting on her abdomen and the other cushioning her head. Her leather jacket was off, using the piece of clothing as a makeshift pillow.

 

SinB stared at the older girl peacefully resting and wondered if she was in a dreamworld of her own. Her eyes trailed down Yerin’s body and noticed that her pink shirt was slightly lifted up, humbly exposing a minor section of her torso. Flashes of the exciting dream appeared in SinB’s mind, causing the younger girl to bite the corner of her lip and turn her attention away.

 

“Stupid, y vampire,” SinB rapidly said under her breath, but instantly regretted it when she saw Yerin begin to stir.

 

Yerin’s sleepy eyes slowly fluttered open as she stretched out her legs and automatically pulled down her shirt. Recognizing that SinB was already awake as she sat up in her bed, Yerin decided to push her back off the floor to sit up, as well. “Annyeong,” Yerin spoke, her voice a bit raspy. “Did you just wake up?” she asked SinB, stifling a yawn.

 

“Yes,” SinB quickly answered, trying to act as natural as possible despite that one particular part in her dream replaying in her mind. “It’s actually around two in the afternoon, now,” she said sheepishly. “What time did you go to sleep?” SinB was a bit worried that her dream may have caused her to make some unintentional noises like a whimper, or perhaps, even a moan. Oh, she hoped with all of her might that she didn't actually moan.

 

“Around nine when the sun had fully risen,” Yerin simply replied, standing up to straighten out her clothes and grabbing her jacket off the floor. “I figured that Virgo wouldn't send his minions during the daytime. Mianhae, for sleeping so close to your bed,” Yerin apologized. “I just wanted to make sure that I was there to protect you, just in case anything bad happened.”

 

“Gwenchana, Yerin-unnie,” SinB assured the older girl. “As a matter of fact, I think I may have slept better with you so close by. Your presence makes me feel safe,” SinB quietly said, slightly embarrassed to reveal such an intimate statement. She glanced at Yerin who donned a gentle smile.

 

“That's good to hear, SinB-ssi,” Yerin replied, sounding unusually bashful. “But, we must get a move on if we want to start your training,” she returned to her typical stern tone as she briskly put on her jacket.

 

“Training?” SinB hopped out of bed in confusion. “What do you mean by ‘training’?”

 

“Don't worry too much about it. It's protocol,” Yerin began to explain. “Most of the people we help have to go through some amount of self defense training. In certain situations, we may be too caught up in fighting to constantly protect them. It’s beneficial if the person is able to fend off vampires on their own when they can. Plus, the training could also help them in other unwanted situations that doesn’t involve vampires.”

 

“Well, when you say it like that, I suppose it makes some sense,” SinB pretended to sound skeptical, but knew that she needed to improve her combat skills. If Yerin hadn't shown up on that exact moment when the blonde vampire was choking her, SinB doubted that she’ll still be alive. Still be able to stare at those brown eyes that calmly looked back at her.

 

“If it makes you feel better, Eunha and Umji are out on a very important mission as we speak,” Yerin announced as she walked closer to SinB. “While you were sleeping, I was texting them and we all agreed that we should also make an effort at patching up your friendship between Sowon-ssi and Yuju-ssi. We figured that it must be difficult for you to be without them.” She looked at SinB with soft, nurturing eyes.

 

“That’s very kind and considerate of you all,” SinB spoke, deeply touched by Yerin’s thoughtfulness. “Kamsahamnida.” She fully bowed at the older girl to show how much she was grateful.

 

Yerin’s smiled grew wider at the gesture. “How about you go change and we’ll go get something to eat. My treat. After that, we’ll start training at the headquarters.” She reached into the inner lining of her jacket to pull out a stainless steel flask. “Pardon me. I typically have to replenish on Type O after sleeping.”

 

“You drink blood out of a flask?” SinB asked humorously.

 

“It's mainly for aesthetic purposes,” Yerin shyly admitted. “Plus, my usual water bottle would be too bulky to fit in my pockets.”

 

“So, the reason why you were so reluctant in giving Yuju-unnie your water bottle a couple days ago was because it actually contained blood?” SinB gesticulated.

 

Grinning, Yerin simply raised her eyebrows as if to indicate that SinB was correct. She proceeded to take a swig. A satisfied “ahh” escaped her lips as she looked at the younger girl with a bubbly eye smile.

 

“Dork,” SinB jokingly chided, but was internally melting at the sight of Yerin being cute. Unbothered, Yerin responded by giving her a sly wink before taking another drink. Looking down to hide her blushing face, SinB grabbed some clothes from her dresser and scurried into the bathroom to change.

 

If time only permitted, SinB would have also taken a cold shower to rid herself of that inappropriate, yet wonderful dream.