Chapter 3

Something More Than Love

SinB was running as fast as she could. Every breath she inhaled burned her lungs. Her legs ached with every stride, but she couldn't stop.

 

Not when the monster was chasing after her.

 

She was dashing through the maze-like city. Not a soul in sight to help her.

 

Hwang Eunbi

 

SinB dared not to look back.

 

She spotted a beam of light and ran towards it, hoping to escape from the monster who was dangerously close behind.

 

Before she could reach it, she felt claws digging into her shoulders pulling her back. Sharp teeth crushed her bones.

 

SinB awoke from another horrifying dream.

 

She was in her apartment. The morning light was beaming through the closed blinds.

 

She grabbed her phone that was resting on her night stand and checked the time. Friday 11:15 am. There was also an alert of a text message sent at 6:00 in the morning.

 

Opening the message, SinB was surprised to see a link and a caller ID that said ‘Unknown’. Perplexed, she tapped on the link which led her to an Internet news article.

 

“Top Professional Dancer, Yoon Bora, Hospitalized After Suicide Attempt,” SinB silently read to herself. Yoon Bora, or simply known as Bora, is a choreographer at Stylez Dance Hall. And, one of the people on the memory card.

 

Eyes furrowed, SinB continued to read on. The article stated that she had a crazed stalker. He would send her gifts and love letters, but expressed his anger whenever she was with another man. Bora tried to contact the police, but the stalker threatened her life if she did. Unable to deal with the harassment, Bora jumped off the roof of her four-story apartment. She survived, but sustained many injuries including a broken arm.

 

SinB shivered and tears were welling in her eyes with every word she read.

 

It was her fault. She did this to that talented, young woman.

 

SinB laid in her bed, bringing her blankets over her head. She cried for hours, feeling disgusted with herself. Not even the memory of Yerin’s smiling face could make her feel better.


SinB’s eyes were puffy, and her nose was red and felt congested. As much as she didn't want to attend dance class today, she had to keep up appearances.

 

When she walked through the doors of the practice room, she expected to see Hyoyeon joyfully rehearsing. But, the blonde instructor wasn't there.

 

The usual light, energetic atmosphere was gone. Instead, the air felt heavy as SinB glanced at the sullen faces of the dance crew.

 

Yerin was the first one to notice her which proceeded by Yuju and Sowon walking quickly towards their friend with concerned expressions.

 

“Alright. What happened because you definitely don't look fine,” Sowon said with much seriousness in her tone.

 

“I'm just feeling under the weather,” SinB replied, her voice hoarse. “I probably caught something while walking home last night.” She rubbed her nose.

 

Before anyone could question her, Boa walked into the room.

 

“Good afternoon, class,” Boa spoke solemnly. “As you may have heard in the news, Stylez Dance Hall’s Yoon Bora was sent to the hospital last night after trying to commit suicide. Some of you may know that Bora and Hyoyeon are good friends. Hyoyeon won't be able to teach today due to her checking up on Bora in the hospital. You may stay here to continue practicing or you may leave for the day. Please, put Yoon Bora in your prayers.” Boa solemnly bowed to the class before exiting out of the room.

 

SinB felt drained. The weight of guilt was too much for her. She needed to leave.

 

“I suppose you want to stay, SinB?” Yuju asked.

 

Shaking her head, SinB apologetically looked at her friend before replying, “I think it's better to call it a day. These symptoms are making my body feel weak.”

 

“You know what makes me feel better whenever I'm sick? Ddeokbokki,” Sowon excitedly said. “Come on, I'll treat you guys.” She grabbed the hands of SinB, Yuju, and Yerin, dragging them out of the practice room.

 

“Wait, let's get changed first,” Yuju called out to Sowon who was prepared to walk out of the studio wearing her workout clothes.

 

A struck of guilt hit SinB at the sight of the locker room.


“One order of ddeokbokki, juseyo,” Sowon purchased from the older man tending the food cart.

 

Yuju, SinB, and Yerin were seated together at a small, square table, waiting for Sowon to join them. Yerin and Yuju sat next to each other while SinB sat in front of Yerin on the other side.

 

“Jjang! Enjoy, guys,” Sowon appeared setting the styrofoam bowl of ddeokbokki on the table and sat next to SinB.

 

Each girl grabbed a skewer and began to stab at the marinated rice cakes. They wailed with joy over the delicious snack.

 

“Yuju-ya, how did training go today?” Sowon conversated through a mouthful of ddeokbokki.

 

“It went well, I guess. My vocal coach says I'm improving everyday. But, the company scouted a new girl from America, and she's so pretty and talented. I doubt I'll ever get the chance to debut,” Yuju said, lacking confidence.

 

“Don't give up,” Yerin brightly advised to Yuju.

 

“Yeah. The Yuju that I know wouldn't give up three years of her life just because some American joined,” Sowon asserted.

 

“Yuju-ya,” SinB spoke up looking directly at her friend, though her voice sounded odd due to her stuffy nose, “if you keep doubting yourself then all your insecurities are gonna become a reality. We believe you're talented enough to become a Kpop star. You can dance, you can sing. You're pretty and funny. All that's left is for you to believe in those things.” SinB ended her discourse, popping a piece of ddeokbokki into .

 

Everyone was left speechless. Eyes were wide open and smiles were gigantic. SinB never failed to keep the group on their toes.

 

“I second that,” Sowon broke the silence and the group erupted with laughter.

 

“You're right, all of you. This is my dream, and I can't just throw it away,” Yuju convinced herself.

 

The girls cheered and resumed eating. Yerin looked at SinB who carelessly had sauce on the corner of her lip.

 

“SinB-ssi,” Yerin addressed to the younger girl, but also grabbed the attention of Yuju and Sowon, “you have…” Yerin pointed to her own lips to indicate the blemish. When SinB gave her a confused look, Yerin grabbed a napkin and gently wiped the sauce away, leaving SinB slightly stunned.

 

Sowon and Yuju exchanged amused looks at each other as they watched the event unfold. Both of them used their hands to cover up their blatant grins. Yuju kicked Sowon's leg underneath the table when she spotted the older girl beginning to laugh.

 

“Ahem,” Sowon pretended to cough to keep herself from laughing. “Well, would you look at the time. I should start studying for my math exam. Yuju! You're good in math, right? How about you help me study?” Knowing how head over heels SinB is for Yerin, Sowon devised a way to get the two of them alone.

 

Catching her drift, Yuju nodded her head in agreement. “Sure, unnie. That’s fine by me.”

 

Standing up at the same time, Sowon laced her arm with Yuju’s. She saw SinB, though, and could tell that she wasn't comfortable being alone with Yerin.

 

“I think you two should continue to hang out together. You know, get acquainted,” Sowon expressed. “We’ll catch up later.” She smiled at them both, though SinB was throwing daggers with her eyes.

 

“See ya,” Yuju briefly said, skipping away with Sowon. SinB glared at their backs as she realized their real intentions for leaving.

 

“Do you want to go to the park near where I live, SinB-ssi?” Yerin politely asked.

 

SinB turned her attention to Yerin and almost fainted at the sight of Yerin’s famous eye smile.

 

She will be the death of me, SinB thought. “Sure,” she said out loud with a dreamy smile.

 

With that reply, Yerin got up and SinB followed, praying that she doesn't make a fool of herself.


Author’s Note: Please do not take any offense of me using Bora’s (from Sistar) name as part of the story. I think she’s so gorgeous and such a talented dancer. She fits well with the character, but I do not have any ill feelings towards her.