Chapter 4

Something More Than Love

To say that SinB felt awkward walking with Yerin would be an understatement. She felt guilty about what happened to Bora and how she's partly responsible for her mental breakdown. But, she was also nervous about being around her crush. Alone. Without Sowon and Yuju’s friendly presence to keep her occupied.

 

The two were walking side by side, but SinB still maintained that respectable distance. Yerin had her thumbs hooked underneath the straps of her backpack with a calm smile on her face. SinB had her hands stuffed into her jacket pockets, feeling weary.

 

She turned her head to look at Yerin, but Yerin also turned her head to look at her at the same time. Their eyes made contact, but SinB quickly retreated her gaze to the ground. They both released a nervous giggle.

 

Unable to continue to walk in unbearable silence, SinB decided to finally talk to the girl who she fell for at first sight.

 

“Yerin-unnie, what school do you attend?” SinB knew it was a weak conversation starter, but she genuinely wanted to know. After all, it had only been a day since Yerin walked into the practice room of Destiny Dance Studios.

 

“I'm actually taking a year off from school to figure things out. But, I went to Seoul Women’s University for a year,” Yerin casually replied.

 

“Wow. You're parents let you do that?” SinB questioned with much surprise.

 

“My parents are very supportive in whatever decision I make,” Yerin said earnestly.

 

SinB nodded her head in response, but still couldn't believe that such relaxed parents like Yerin’s existed. Her parents were certainly not the type to cooperate with her dreams and aspirations.

 

“You graduated this year, right, SinB-ssi?” Yerin carried on the conversation. “Are you currently attending college or university?”

 

“Um, I decided not to continue with my education. My dad offered me a job at his company. It's more of an internship, making copies and getting people coffee. But, with time, he says I could rise up the ranks,” SinB explained. Though it sounded plausible, it was none other than a gigantic lie. A lie she has told to everyone around her, including her two best friends.

 

“That sounds really nice of your dad, but you seem more suitable as a professional dancer. You were amazing with Hyoyeon’s choreography, yesterday,” Yerin complimented.

 

“Kamsahamnida, Yerin-unnie,” SinB smiled. “But, don't be silly. Dancing is only a hobby.” Another lie, but SinB said it so halfheartedly that she wasn't sure that it convinced Yerin.

 

The two were coming in contact with an apartment building that was surrounded with yellow “Do Not Cross” tape. SinB’s heartbeat quickened.

 

“You live near Yoon Bora’s apartment?” SinB asked quietly with furrowed brows.

 

Yerin’s smile died, bowing her head in respect as they passed by the building and police cars.

 

“Yes,” Yerin simply answered. She leaned closer to SinB and whispered in a serious tone, “Don't tell anyone this, SinB-ssi, but I think I may have heard her body hitting the pavement last night.”

 

They continued walking in silence. SinB was struck dumb with the pangs of guilt.


 

The day was an emotional roller coaster for SinB. She felt the joy of being with her friends and hanging out with Yerin at one moment, but the weight of shame would fall on her like a ton of bricks at another moment.

 

Seeing the green pasture of the park gave her some much needed comfort, sending her mind at ease.

 

The park was of average size and mostly empty, except for an older couple strolling along the path. It had a playground for the kids and exercise equipment for the adults. Right next to the park was the open woods filled with tall trees.

 

“You must be feeling terrible,” Yerin said unexpectedly, sounding concerned.

 

“What?!” SinB’s eyebrows shot up, caught off guard at Yerin’s sudden comment. Did she know the secrets that SinB was hiding?

 

“With you feeling under the weather,” Yerin explained.

 

“Oh. Right. It's nothing. Probably just allergies. I get them every now and then,” SinB assured Yerin and felt relieved that it had nothing to do with Bora.

 

The two sat on a bench in front of the monkey bars. Yerin took off her backpack, opening it to retrieve her water bottle.

 

“Here, you should drink some water to keep yourself hydrated,” Yerin kindly said, handing the bottle to SinB. Their hands brushed ever so slightly, but SinB could feel the smoothness of Yerin’s skin.

 

“Kamsahamnida,” SinB thanked shyly, bowing her head slightly to be polite and avoid eye contact.

 

She did feel thirsty from the walk. Taking a swig, she noticed that there was nothing strange about the water. Why was Yerin so defensive towards Yuju the other day?

 

Yerin stood up and grabbed onto the pole of the monkey bars, twirling herself around it.

 

“When I was a kid, I use to love hanging upside down on the bars. There was something about the feeling of blood rushing to my head that kept me from wanting to stand right side up again,” Yerin said in a dreamlike state. She proceeded to climb up to the top. Situating herself in a sitting position, Yerin lowered her back, relying on the crook of her legs to carry her weight. She closed her eyes and allowed gravity to take its course.

 

SinB was in awe of how divine the older girl looked. Sunlight beamed on Yerin’s face, as her long hair swayed in the light breeze. Jealousy was another emotion that SinB couldn't help but feel. She was jealous at the inner peace that Yerin had. After all that happened today, she wondered if she even deserved to be at peace.

 

“Come join me,” Yerin, eyes opened, serenely encouraged SinB. “I think it’ll do your immune system some good.” She smiled which made her eyes look like happy faces.

 

“Okay,” SinB nervously obliged. She took off her backpack and settled Yerin’s water bottle on the bench. SinB never really played on the monkey bars as a kid. She was more of a swings and slides type of gal. But, thanks to her flexibility earned from being a dancer, SinB managed to effortlessly get herself in the same position as Yerin.

 

They both hanged eye to eye. Yerin gave SinB a contented smile as she closed her eyes.

 

SinB stared at Yerin, acknowledging the details of her face. She started to feel dizzy. She wasn't sure if it was due to the unfamiliar sensation of blood rushing to her head or if she was falling for Yerin even more.

 

“Tag!” Yerin yelled suddenly, tapping SinB’s arm. She lifted herself back up and climbed off the bars making a run for the forest.

 

SinB was justifiably surprised at the impromptu change of mood. She got off the bars feeling a bit disoriented, but decided to play along, running towards the thick forest.

 

Once entered, SinB was met with a multitude of trees. Leaves crunched on the ground with every step and stride she took. Scrambling around corner after corner and tree after tree, SinB was hoping to find Yerin, but didn't see a soul in sight.

 

“Yerin! Yerin-unnie!” SinB stopped to scream out her companion’s name. There was no response. Just the sounds of birds fluttering away and her own heavy breathing occupied the forest.

 

SinB walked a little further until she saw a piece of paper on the ground hidden beneath the dried leaves. Grabbing the paper, SinB gasped when she recognized the person printed on it.

 

The paper was actually a photograph. On it was the candid picture of Yoon Bora. She was in the Stylez Dance Hall locker room lifting up her shirt to change, exposing her midriff.

 

SinB eagerly crumpled the photo, stuffing it in her pocket. A bad feeling erupted in the pit of her stomach.

 

She cautiously walked a few more steps and called out Yerin’s name two more times before noticing another photograph hidden in the ground. Picking it up, SinB flipped it to reveal another picture of Bora. This time, she was stripped of her shirt, clad in her bra.

 

SinB was growing frightened by the second. Yerin was nowhere to be found, and her dirty secrets were being torturously revealed.

 

“Boo.”

 

SinB jerked in response to someone whispering in her ear as the hairs on the back of her neck stood up. Swiftly turning around, SinB was relieved to see a grinning Yerin. But, her smile faltered when she realized what Yerin was holding up: a picture of Yoon Bora in only her bra and underwear.

 

“I hope this doesn't ruin my chances of a date with you,” Yerin spoke, but there was a change in the usual tone of her voice. She sounded cunning and mischievous, as opposed to sweet and innocent.

 

Yerin slightly opened to reveal a pair of white, pointy fangs.

 

SinB was stunned when she understood what Yerin really was. “You're a vampire,” she breathed out, voice trembling.

 

Yerin arrogantly smirked in response, folding the picture of Bora and placing it in the inner pocket of her jacket.

 

So many thoughts were going through SinB’s head, but the only thing she was able to do in this situation was scream.

 

Before any sound could come out of , though, she felt the inhuman strength of Yerin slamming her back to the nearest tree, causing her to let go of the picture. Yerin grabbed a hold of SinB’s wrists and placed them over SinB’s head against the rough tree bark.

 

SinB dared to take one look at Yerin. There was a ferocity in her eyes she never saw before. Yerin’s eyes met SinB’s. For a split second, SinB saw the familiar gentleness in Yerin’s gaze. It wasn't long before Yerin became aggressive again, using her strength to hold still a squirming SinB.

 

Fangs grazed SinB’s neck.


Everything went dark.