Chapter 6

From Dawn Till Dusk

Andy gave a frustrated sigh and bit his lip while staring hard into the monitor. His eyebrows scrunched together, his face mildly red with a look close to constipation, and all that is left seemed to be for him to rip his hair out. The exact situation did happen a few seconds later, and earned him a concerned look from Dongwan.

“Andy.” Hyesung shot him a cold look, hinting that he should stay calm instead of producing the series of actions. Andy gave him a look of despair and whined a little, “BUT-BUT HYUNG! This is so unfair…” Andy rolled off his chair and covered his face with both hands. Seeing that, Dongwan reached out to give Andy a small pat on the shoulders as a form of comfort, though his face seemed to be contorted with laughter. On the other hand, Hyesung remained expressionless, having seen this for as long as they have worked together.

“You’re a hacker. Do what it takes for you to get through it.” Hyesung said emotionlessly, reaching out for his next pile of work. Andy looked at him in bewilderment and gave him puppy eyes, “Hyung, you think I haven’t tried? I’ve tried everything I can, apparently they upgraded the system with new…”

“Then isn’t it your job to get past it? If there are hackers like you on earth, isn’t finding someone who can defend the system the most logical thing to do?” Hyesung pointed out. Hearing that, Andy pouted his lips and leaned on the table, “Yes, but they got J.H to do it! It must be them getting revenge on me!”

“You can’t be sure that it’s the work of J.H.” Hyesung rose an eyebrow in response to Andy’s claim. The next second, Andy suddenly placed his palms on the table flat and leaned forward, inches away from Hyesung’s face, his eyes widened as he spoke with such ferocity, “Yes! It’s him! Anyone else might not recognise his work, but at one glance, I would have known it is him! I’ve been competing with him for years! Everytime I break into the system, he creates a better system, and it goes on and on!”

“Are you giving up?” Hyesung asked simply, and then gave a look of pity in the direction whereby Dongwan was still looking at the both of them in confusion, “This is such a shame. To think that your Dongwan Hyung came here all the way, just to ask for a favour…”

“I WILL DO IT!” Andy suddenly declared with much vigour upon hearing that, and he repeated with confidence again, “I will do it, even if I have to crash down his entire system!” With his new found confidence, he set back onto his task with such seriousness that Dongwan was a little shocked.

Hyesung gave a nod of approval before turning his head to look at the clock on the wall. Hesitating a little before deciding to speak, he turned to Dongwan, “Do you want to return home first? You need time for the trip back as well. I doubt this will get done so soon due to unexpected circumstances. Once I get the results, Andy or I will phone you.”

“Yes Hyung! It’s fine! Your little dongsaeng here needs to apologise for his lack of ability…”Andy nodded vigorously and made a crying face. Upon seeing that, Dongwan smiled and ruffled his hair, “its fine, Andy. Take your time, I wasn’t in a rush anyway. Besides, it’s my fault for suddenly dropping a bomb on you guys.”

“Anything for you Hyung! Now, just give me a teeny weeny bit of time and you will get your results! Like magic!” Andy beamed at him. Dongwan nodded at the both of them and stood up, giving a small smile before walking towards the door. He stopped after moving a few steps forward, turning back to Andy and said, “Remember to eat your meals. Don’t skip them just because of work.” Pausing a bit, he turned his eyes a bit towards Hyesung, before saying “you too”, in which the latter gave a brief nod of acknowledgement.

It was already late when he got home, and with heavy steps he walked back to his house. He cursed a little while walking through the tall grass, upset that his plan to beautify the external part of the mansion was foiled by a particular ghost. It was a tiring trip, since the neighbourhood was a bit far away from the city. Opening the door, Dongwan suddenly stopped in his tracks.

For the first time since he moved in, he thought of himself as mad. The city that he always never wanted to return to unless there was a specific reason, why did he go back today? What was wrong with him? Was finding out that ghost’s murderer so important to him that he had to make a trip down? It suddenly dawned on him that he should have called instead, yet he made the effort.

It must be that dying want to get the ghost out of the house, so he could resume his personal life, Dongwan persuaded himself. What’s more, it’s been a long time since he had seen Andy…and Hyesung. Yes. This must be the reason.

“WANNIE!!! YOU’RE BACK!” Suddenly, a loud voice boomed throughout the entire living room once Dongwan closed the door, and before Dongwan could do anything, a shadow moved before his eyes and flung itself on him. Being caught off-guard, Dongwan fell to the floor with a ‘thud’.

Cursing under his breath and wincing a little at the pain in which his head made contact with the floor, he struggled to push off the figure, “Get off me! Who are you calling wannie? And what are you? A dog?”

“Nope! A ghost!” Minwoo gave him a look of pride, and Dongwan shot him an irritated look in response. Rubbing his head a little from the impact, he held in his annoyance and said, “Do you mind not doing this next time, and act like how a proper ghost should behave?”

“What should a proper ghost do?” Minwoo asked innocently, “I don’t think you would have liked me scaring you, like those in the horror movies. Isn’t that what ghosts do? I think I’m rather nice.” Minwoo gave a rather thoughtful look, and once again, Dongwan felt anger boiling in him.

“Remain transparent, and unknown to human eyes. That’s what you should be doing as a ghost. Do your job.” Dongwan huffed and stood up, stomping away to his room to get his clothes.

“Hey! Wait for me!!” Seeing that Dongwan had left, Minwoo quickly followed up, before stopping in his tracks after receiving the death glare from Dongwan. Looking at Dongwan’s retreating figure, Minwoo laughed a little and lapsed into thoughtful journey in his mind.