Chapter 1

From Dawn Till Dusk

A musty scent lingered in the atmosphere as Dongwan stepped into that certain part of the neighbourhood. Cringing his nose in slight disgust, he shuddered from the cold air that stung him. Facing the mansion that was right in front of him, he couldn’t help but shudder again.

It was an old mansion, a very ancient one at that. With colonial curves and intricate carvings, the mansion would have been beautiful and awed, had the white-washed walls been maintained and free from all cracks. It would have been highly sought after in the market, judging that the mansion was just 100M away from the sea. Yet it stood silently at the end of the deserted street, where there was weed and wild grass surrounding it, unwanted.

The rumours didn’t help either. Dongwan mused, as he took another long look at the mansion. Though it looked pretty much as classy as one could have wished for, there was something eerie about this place that no one can put a finger on. Dongwan had felt that way too; Something did not feel right that the property agent was willing to let such a place go at below market rate, yet in the end he made a final decision to make it his. He desperately needed a quiet place to stay, and this one seemed perfect. Almost perfect.

Trudging through the wild grass that was nearly as tall as his knees, he finally reached the front door. Pulling out that rusty key, he stuck in into the knob and used all his might to turn it. The door creaked and revealed a dusty interior. Dongwan sighed again for the umpteenth time as he efficiently matted out a plan on cleaning the entire house externally and internally.

Dongwan was never one to procrastinate, and when he set his mind on something, it was in him to get it done efficiently. And thus, the entire day was set out cleaning the entire house, and by the time he finished, it was already dusk. He triumphantly looked around the house and marveled at his own achievement. Heaving a sigh of relief, he made a quick plan to make a pretty garden out of the exterior of his house when tomorrow came.

“Hey, Eric, what’s up?” Just as Dongwan was about to lay out the temporary mattress he brought with him in the bedroom, his phone rang.

“Have you cleaned up already?” His cheerful greeting was met with a monotonous one, but Dongwan didn’t seem to mind at all. Laughing, he went on and on about what a deal he had gotten. The other side didn’t seemed to mind, and while Dongwan spoke, not once did he interrupt.

“I hope this wouldn’t end up like last time.” Eric warned him, after Dongwan had finished boasting about his own luck. That earned him an earful from Dongwan, who defended himself indignantly, “Hmph! That wouldn’t happen again, I assure you. I’m not even on rent this time. I bought the entire house, its mine now! Under Kim Dongwan!”

“Fine. Don’t even think about carving your name on the wall though, spare the walls please.” Eric reminded him, and the both of them exchanged a few more words before hanging up.

Sighing, Dongwan threw the phone beside him and proceeded to jump on his mattress. Just a few months ago, he was almost on the verge of being homeless, had he not begged Eric enough to camp at his house for a while. He must have looked really pitiful then, for Eric had relented after much begging. It was far too long since he was ever at peace, so long since he had no worries. Now life seemed to be picking up pace, and he was back on track.

Rummaging that few boxes that he had brought along with him, he finally fished out a small bottle of wine and a glass. He was not a heavy drinker, nor did he drink often. Yet on small occasions like this, to celebrate another new beginning in life, or to celebrate a certain success of his, this small bottle of wine always seemed to come in handy.

Humming a small tune as he popped the bottle, he poured a small amount of content into the glass. With a faint smile on his lips, he mocked raised the glass into the air, and cried out in happiness, “To a new beginning!” He then proceeded to lift the glass to his lips, but as he drank the content, out of nowhere, he seemed to hear a small chuckle.

Scrunching his eyebrows, he turned his head around in search of the sound, yet he knew it was only him in the room. He must have been intoxicated from the smell of wine, he decided. Shrugging his shoulders, he poured another small amount and laid on the mattress. Momentarily closing his eyes, he placed the glass on the floor beside him and thought of his future plans.

Never had he, in his entire life, dreamed of purchasing a mansion before. Now that he did, he seemed to have all sorts of ideas. And the ocean beside the mansion? Perhaps it was time for him to develop a new hobby as well. Maybe, just maybe, he would learn diving as well. Life was going to be so wonderful.

Reaching for his glass, he seemed to grasp hold of nothing. Patting the floor several times, he turned to look as the glass laid several feet away from him, the red liquid sloshing in the glass. At the sight of that, Dongwan stilled as he laid on the mattress.

Impossible. He thought, as he reached out further for his glass. This was impossible. How could a glass move on its own?  Tasting the liquid in his mouth, his blood seemed to turn a little cold at the thought of those rumours that circulated in this tiny neighbourhood. No, it cannot be true. This must be some nonsense made up by teenagers for their own fun.

Putting the glass on the floor again, he shakily closed his eyes, trying to throw all those useless thoughts away. Yet this time it was clearer, the clinking of the glass was heard. There was no doubt. As his eyes flew open, time seemed to be at a standstill, as he turned frozen at what seemed to be in front of him, at the windowsill.

Opening his mouth and closing it a few more times, he stared in shock. Enunciating every syallable, he finally forced out the words from his lips, “Who the hell are you?”