Chapter 3

From Dawn Till Dusk

Sunlight streamed into the tiny room, as Dongwan stretched himself on the temporary mattress. Squinting a bit from the sudden exposure, he yawned and proceeded to clear up whatever mess was made last night. After packing everything back into the box, he took a quick detour to the kitchen to pour himself a drink before settling down in the living room.

Looking around in the empty room, he quickly made plans to fill the house up with furnitures as soon as possible. Sitting on the white marbled floor, he gave a contented sigh and went to take his laptop from his room.

“Good morning, darling!” The minute he walked out, he was met with a cheerful greeting, and he flinched involuntarily. Memories of last night flooded his mind again as he looked at the man standing in front of him.

Lee Minwoo.

“What are you doing here?” Kim Dongwan gave a curt nod and sat on the floor. This was one of the reason why he wanted only a place for himself. Having lived alone in all the years that he had known, he felt a bit uncomfortable that he was sharing personal spaces with someone, let alone a ghost who can materialise anywhere and anytime he wants.

“Why are you so cold~” Minwoo pouted and loomed over Dongwan’s shoulders, unhappy that the latter was not paying attention to him, but instead has his eyes fixated to the screen.

“It’s daytime, you don’t have to be here. Go enjoy the view outside or something.” Without taking his eyes away from his laptop, he spilled out the words. Hearing that, Minwoo frowned and crossed his arms, “Why should I? If I want to be here, I can be here. What’s more, the rules that you have written, it didn’t include a rule that I cannot stay in the house in the day, did it?”

“You-” Whipping his head up just in time to catch Minwoo’s smirk, Dongwan felt that he was at a loss of words. Blood was boiling within him, yet he didn’t know what the exact reason that caused this to happen was. It must be this annoying ghost, he thought.

“Well, since we are going to live together, isn’t it a known fact that we should get to know each other more? You know, for the sake of courtesy?” Minwoo gestured between the both of them. Hearing that, he stopped whatever he was doing and stared at Minwoo long and hard. Finally, he sighed and sat up. If he couldn’t get this ghost out of this place to give him some personal space, he might as well get it over and done with.

“Fine. What is it that you want?” Dongwan crossed his arms in slight annoyance and asked. Seeing that he had reached his aim, Minwoo gave a huge smile of victory and shifted to sit beside Dongwan. The latter was once again lost in the depth of his hypnotic smile, though he refused to admit it. Any admittance to the charisma that the ghost possessed would have led him to boast again, and Dongwan would not have allowed any of that, or he would hear no end to it.

“Let’s talk.” Minwoo beamed and gestured towards him, “Tell me more about yourself. What do you do for a living? Why do you not need to go out to work? How- ”

“Hold on.” Dongwan held out his hands, “If you are going to pry about my life, let’s do an exchange. One question each time for the both of us.” This ghost is really gossipy and troublesome, Dongwan thought and pursed his lips into a thin line.

“Ok! Then I’ll start first! What do you do for a living?” Minwoo leaned forward and asked curiously, peering at the laptop in front of Dongwan.

“Web designer. I’m a web designer.” Dongwan sighed and answer, gesturing to the laptop in front of him. Staring at him in wonder, Minwoo pondered, “That’s really interesting! We didn’t have those back in the days.”

“Perfectly shows your age then.” Dongwan gave a passing remark, and earned himself a glare from Minwoo, “Just so you know, this old ajusshi you see here, happens to be the greatest star on earth, and he is loved by all females alike.”

“And he happens to be already dead.” Dongwan remarked simply, then turned to Minwoo, “It’s my turn now. How did you die?”

Hearing Dongwans question, Minwoo stilled before breaking into a shaky laugh, “You are one unique creature. No one has been so straightforward with me before. I might have thought you work as a reporter.” Sensing that Dongwan was still patiently waiting for his answer, he glumly replied, “I was murdered, and the murderer was never found.”

“How-” Dongwan started, and Minwoo placed a finger on his lips. Smirking, he spoke in a soft voice, “One question each time darling, remember?”

Staring at Minwoo with an unreadable expression, Dongwan felt something in him flutter. What was it within him, that caused him to feel weird each time Minwoo touched him. Yet he refused to admit it, it must be some stupid power the ghost had or whatever. If ghosts exist, then there was nothing not to be believed in.

“How is it that you are able to touch me? This should not be possible at all.” Minwoo questioned, and Dongwan raised his eyebrows in confusion, “I’m a web designer, not a shaman. How would I know the answer to your question? I have never seen a ghost before, not to mention touch one.”

“You must be special then!” Minwoo suddenly brightened up. He scooted closer to Dongwan, who moved back in turn. Suspicious of the said ghost’s intention, he eyed him with caution, but was once again taken aback when Minwoo took both of his hands and said with such seriousness in his tone, “If you are special, then you’ve got to help me.”

“I have not found out the one who murdered me. This might be the reason why I am still here. Won’t you be so kind to help me out?” Minwoo stared at him with those puppy eyes again, and Dongwan cursed under his breath. How was he to resist that if he had already given him those eyes?

“Why should I? I have no relation to you. Find someone else.” Dongwan took his hands out of Minwoo’s grasp. Yes, well done, Kim Dongwan. That is the way to go, show him who is the boss of this house. Dongwan silently gave himself a pat on the shoulders.

“Don’t you want me out of this house? If that is so, don’t you think it is crucial to help me out, my fellow roommate?” Dongwan stared at those pink lips of the ghost, which spoke out those words. Realisation dawned on him as he suddenly wanted to slap himself for getting into another troublesome affair. He had come here in order to lead a wonderful life, yet now he had to find out the murderer of this ghost? What has his life come to?

“You have a deal.” Dongwan sighed as the ghost gave a victorious cheer. His life was going to be messed up again, he was sure of it.