Chapter 18

From Dawn Till Dusk

The dim lights shone softly on the carpeted floor and soft music played as people sat down and talked to each other. It was a cosy environment, and despite it being too small to even fit that much people, it most definitely felt comfortable. At the secluded spot in the corner, Dongwan sat alone, downing another cup of alcohol yet again.

His eyes were glossy black as he stared in to the space, his body swaying softly to the music as if he was in a trance. No one paid any attention to the man, who was currently hurting very badly. Closing his eyes momentarily, Dongwan allowed himself to drown out all the chatter and cleared his mind. It had been a terribly long day for him, not to mention that the outburst from a few days ago was still lingering in his mind.

Earlier in the day, Dongwan had made a trip down to the usual cafe to submit the first draft of his design. Though most people in his industry usually submitted and communicate through mail, Dongwan preferred meeting face to face. This way he could bring up many things at one go and they could reach to a discussed conclusion faster. He loved to keep things going this way, and boy, was he pleased he did.

“I apologise for our sudden change of ideas, Mr. Kim, but our director came back last week, and he requested an addition in the webpage.” The young lady who was in charge of meeting with Dongwan bowed her head apolegtically. She had heard of many designers going off in rage due to last minute changes in design, for it was a hassle and they had always preferred things to be set right from the start. She cursed internally for being the one to relay the message. God knows the wrath she might receive.

Dongwan said nothing much, but to raise his eyebrows at the sudden information. While an addition is not much work, it depends on how big the addition is to the webpage, and that would probably affect the entire format of the webpage. He gestured for the poor young lady to continue.

“As you know, the late Mr. Lee Minwoo was under us, and our director was close with him. Our director requested for an addition of a section as a tribute for Mr. Lee Minwoo.” The young lady spoke up, a little more comfortably after seeing that Dongwan seemed to be quite relaxed hearing about the news.

“Any other requests as of regard to the addition?”

“No. Our director says that he trusts this would be in good hands. He thanks you for this in advance.” The young lady bowed again.

“It’s alright. This is not that much of a hassle. You’ll hear from me soon.” Dongwan gave her a slight smile.

Dongwan tapped his finger against the empty glass as he thought about the entire incident. Just when he thought that he could have a break from hearing anything with regards to the said ghost currently residing in his house, his work was once again reminding him of the ghost.

Not that Dongwan minded it at all. In fact, he was feeling rather guilty for his outburst. He didn’t mean to snap at the ghost, who was just trying to help him, though he thought that it was the stupidest way ever. He knew that the ghost was good natured, and had a good heart. Yet he couldn’t help it; everything had been lodged in his mind for such a long time, and tucked into the deepest part of his heart. It’s not every day that he willed himself to dig out his past. One could say that he was just a coward, for not even trying to face his fears, but he just couldn’t do it himself. All he felt was that he was a failure.

If anything could be done to turn back time, Dongwan wished he had been a little more understanding. He wished he had been much more capable, and he most definitely wished he was there for his brother when he needed him most. Yet it was already in the past. Nothing could be done, and his brother was never coming back. How he wished he had gone in place of his brother. His precious, angelic brother in which he never once laid a finger on, but it didn’t stop him from disappearing.

Dongwan wished he could see his brother one more time, to tell him how sorry he was, and to tell his brother to be at peace. He wondered for the first time in his life, why he couldn’t see his brother, when he could see Lee Minwoo. It just doesn’t make any sense at all.

Unless…

Unless…his brother did not want to see him at all. Was his brother angry with him? Or was he just too heartbroken to face him once again? Dongwan missed his brother oh so much. He never knew that the longing was so bad, until he thought about it.

And Lee Minwoo. Lee Minwoo who brought up his memories again. Dongwan ruffled his hair in frustration at the thought of the ghost. Technically he was supposed to feel anger at the ghost, yet he couldn’t. He couldn’t be angry at the ghost who tried time and time again to knock some sense into his head about life. He knew the ghost was right, but Dongwan couldn’t bear himself to let go of everything. He thought of dying more than once, yet he couldn’t end his life. Memories flashed as he thought of the angry expression on the ghost’s face, and smiled somewhat at the memory.

What was this ghost doing to him? Perhaps he had started to treat this ghost subconsciously as a friend. Dongwan slapped himself at the thought of it. It was impossible. Besides, the ghost was going to leave someday, once he found out the cause of his death. There shouldn’t be any feelings involved, Dongwan decided.

Covering his eyes with a hand, Dongwan sighed inwardly. He was really a coward. Not being able to face his problems was one thing, yet he didn’t even have the courage to die. He was definitely a coward, he thought.