Chapter 14

From Dawn Till Dusk

Minwoo curled up on the floor next to Dongwan, who was currently still on the project he had taken up. Closing his eyes momentarily and opening them again, he found unexplained inner peace looking at how serious Dongwan is when doing work. It was years since he had seen people in action, and he’d admit that he loved to see people at work. It always gave him immense happiness to know that everyone was working hard to improve their lives for the better.

“Don’t you have anything better to do, other than staring at me? Three hours have passed, and you have been wasting your time as usual.” Fidgeting a little from the stare, Dongwan bit his lips before finally turning his head away from the screen to comment.

“Time is meaningless to me, especially after 15 years in solitude.” Minwoo replied in a factual manner. He played with the hem of his shirt nonchalantly before looking up into Dongwan’s eyes, “Besides, I think you look the best when you are at work. I like seeing that.”

“Why, you-” Dongwan furrowed his eyebrows together at that statement, yet a blush was creeping up his cheeks unknowingly. Clearing his throat, Dongwan quickly looked away, his heart thumping from that seemingly casual remark made by the gorgeous man. Acting as if he was not affected by that casual comment, Dongwan quickly tried to fill his blank mind with different shades of orange, choosing one that would suit the webpage.

“Hey, tell me something.” Minwoo called out to the man beside him, his voice soft, “Have we met somewhere before?”

“Are you so bored and deprived of female company for the past 15 years that you had to try a pick-up line on me, and a very old-fashioned one at that.” Dongwan stilled at the question, before rolling his eyes and raising his eyebrows at the ghost.

“Well, yes.” Minwoo gave him a charming smile for a few seconds, before becoming serious again, “Good try, but no. I was seriously asking. Do you think we have met somewhere when I was still alive? I mean, I used to work for SHCJ entertainment, and they are your client…”

“Good try, but no.” Dongwan flashed Minwoo a smile, “The answer to your question is no. I don’t think so. I have no interest to visit the company even once. Even during my first project with them, we always met outside. I have an unexplained dislike for offices.”

“Well, why am I not surprised? Judging from your choice of career.” Minwoo turned over to his back and placed his arms behind his head. Dongwan rose his eyebrows mildly at Minwoo’s words, but chose to make no comment.

“Was being a web designer always what you wanted to do?” Minwoo asked again out of boredom.

Nods.

“You’re lucky, to be chasing your dream. There aren’t many who can achieve their dream.” Minwoo commented.

“I doubt so.” Dongwan spoke suddenly, “I don’t see myself lucky.”

Pursing his lips, Minwoo looked at Dongwan with the side of his eye. This man seemed to be a pessimist, he thought. Everything he had said was always doubted by Kim Dongwan, and Minwoo couldn’t understand why that man had such ideas. At least for Minwoo, it was always crucial to be living happily no matter what.

“You are lucky.” Minwoo told him sternly, “and you shouldn’t think otherwise. Man, consider yourself lucky to be breathing at this moment.”

“Sometimes I wish I would be better off dead.” Replied Dongwan without much thought. This reply was met with a hard smack on his head in an instant, and Dongwan inhaled sharply from the pain he had received out of a sudden. Irritation rose within him as he looked up, ready to snap back at the ghost, yet he stilled at the sight of the ghost standing before him now.

Minwoo was standing before him, with his hands at the waist and eyes burning with fire. Dongwan had never seen Minwoo in this way before, not even from the first time they met. For that moment, he was unable to speak, and words couldn’t even form in the way he wanted it to. Minwoo was different, very different.

“You don’t know what you are talking about, do you? There are so many people every day who fight on to live, who try to survive for the sake for their loved ones, or even just for themselves. What makes you think you should give up on life?” Minwoo inched closer to Dongwan such that they were looking at each other face to face.

“What makes you think you should be any different?” Minwoo whispered.

“You don’t know me. You don’t know anything. Stop acting as if you are the wiser just because you are dead.” Dongwan snapped, regaining his senses as he heard Minwoo spoke. He inhaled and exhaled deeply, telling himself not to start another fight with the ghost again. It wasn’t worth it, he thought bitterly. No one understood him, and no one will ever do. How would anyone understand the pain that is always in his heart? How would anyone understand that dull pain that is always pulsing through his veins? It hurt every single moment, and each time, he wished he could just close his eyes and join his family.

“I don’t act the wiser just because I’m dead, Dongwan.” Dongwan flinched at the sound of his name. It was the first time Minwoo had called out his name, and it had to be in such a situation. Minwoo frowned and spoke in a serious manner, “I’ve seen people committed suicide, seen them regret after they died, seen them shatter into pieces and become nothing but dust. You don’t know how lucky you are until you are dead.”

“I used to think I had a lot of time. I had plans, Dongwan. I had plans that I was going to be a singer until I was 30 years old, and then I was going to become a composer. I was going to find someone I loved then, and go to every single place I found romantic. I wanted to only sing for that particular loved one. Then, out of a sudden, I found myself dead. I was only 25 years old. I didn’t get to even start on any of my plans.” Minwoo waved his hands helplessly.

“That’s you, Minwoo. That’s not me.”


My progress for this fic is slower than expected T_T Have been trying to push it and I hope I won't take too much time. Perhaps I should set myself a deadline for this fic. Maybe there would be more motivation then *Cries*