Chapter 2

From Dawn Till Dusk

“Well, I must say, this wine doesn’t even taste a tenth of those French wine in my cellar.” The man who sat by the windowsill mused as he glanced at the red content in the glass.

Man? No. He was not a man. A transparent looking figure was there, right on his windowsill, and he was drinking his precious wine. Clad in some attire that might have seemed to be the trend of at least a good 10 years ago, Dongwan could hardly believe what was in front of him.

“Who the hell are you?” He forced out the exact same words again. He stared at the figure with widened eyes, his heart thudding so loudly he was sure it could be heard in the room.

The figure turned his gaze from the glass of wine to look at him, and for the first time, Dongwan was finally able to take a good look at his features. With a defined jawline and a charming smile, this man must have been a heartthrob when he was alive. Dongwan was sure of that, for that smile of his took his breath away as well. Not that Dongwan will ever admit it. He would have spent more time drinking in those charismatic features of his, yet now it was not the time. What on earth is this ghost doing in his premises? He wanted to know.

“You can see me?” The figure asked, a smile curling upon his lips. Under the moonlight, he seemed to shine, as much as his eyes did. Dongwan gave a frustrated sigh, and placed his hands on his hips, “Look, I don’t know what on earth a ghost is doing here in my house, but you need to leave now. I am not tolerating another presence in my house.”

“Aww…Touché. Well, just so you know, I am the owner of this mansion.” The man spreaded his arms wide, and jumped off the windowsill. Dongwan held in the urge to roll his eyes, and he took in a deep breath, “Well, sad to say, you’re dead. You shouldn’t be here. Be on your way, either to heaven or hell, it doesn’t matter. This is now my house, I paid for it. There you go.”

“Well, that’s it! You think I haven’t tried? I want to be on my way, to heaven or hell, whatever you call it.” The figure gestured wildly and then hardened his gaze as his eyes met Dongwan’s, “But you know what? The truth is that there is no such place. If there was, I wouldn’t have been stuck here for 15 years, would I?”

“Nice story, but be on your way still.” Dongwan went to his bag and dug out a thick envelope, “I have legal means to this house. That means you cannot be here.”

“I can’t.” The figure sighed and sat down on the floor, fiddling with the strands from his shirt.

“What do you mean you can’t?” Dongwan narrowed his eyes and crossed his arms. This was getting too much for him. First, there was those rumours that brought the value of this house down below market value. Then now, he found out that those rumours were really true? This is too much.

“I can’t. I died in this house. I died right on the spot there.” The figure pointed to the windowsill and went on, “I tried going out. It was fine during the day, but I was always back here at night. I can’t leave this area.”

Dongwan pursed his lips as he plopped down back on the mattress. There was so much to take in in just a few minutes. His mind was in a whirl. Looking up at the figure for the second time, there was something about him that Dongwan cannot put a finger on. That flawless face of his, the smug smile on his face, those defined jawline of his, and those clothes that he wore… Dongwan felt like he had recognised him from somewhere.

“Lee Minwoo!” Dongwan’s eyes lit up at the name, and as he spoke the name, adrenaline flushed through him. He knew he was right as soon as he saw the man’s smug smile turning into a huge one.

“Ah yes, that’s my name! I knew I wouldn’t be forgotten, even after 15 years!” Minwoo clapped his hands in delight, and took a few steps forward. Inching his face closer to Dongwan, he lowered his tone, “So, darling, about this house…”

“NO. Even if you are Lee Minwoo, the answer is still no. And who the hell are you calling darling? Cut it out.” Dongwan reached out his hands to push the man away. He was irritated, for he had never seen a ghost that behaved this way. Not that he had ever come into contact with a ghost before.

“You can touch me?” Minwoo looked at his hands in wonder, in which Dongwan swatted away with frustration. Then the next moment, Minwoo suddenly kneeled down in front of him and grabbed both of his hands, “Oh my beloved, please help me. Don’t you see how pitiful I am? Even if you do not want me in the house, I will still be back during the night! I can’t leave the house, remember?”

Staring at those puppy eyes with a blank look, something in him broke, and he found himself nodding before he could stop it. Before he knew it, Minwoo was prancing around the room and cheering, and all Dongwan wanted to do was to slap himself for agreeing involuntarily.

“Wait. If you are going to be here, we need some rules.” Dongwan held up a hand, and rummaged for a pen and paper.

“Come on! I’m already dead, can’t you just spare me?” Minwoo whined and laid on the floor, in which Dongwan chose to ignore, and continued writing, “Even the dead need rules. So if you want to stay harmoniously, rules need to be here.”

“Rules are meant to be broken.” Minwoo said as a matter of fact, and the next moment, a piece of paper was shoved into his face. Grabbing it, he sat down and started to read them in detail.

“No going into the kitchen? No messing up with the arrangement of the house?” Minwoo read it out in disbelief, “but if I can’t go into the kitchen…”

“You don’t need to eat, do you? Therefore, no going into my kitchen, and no messing things up. Understood?”

“Alright, alright! Fine, I will adhere to those rules of yours!” Minwoo raised his hands up in surrender, and he grumbled a little, “I don’t understand why that punk sold the house to you.”

Dongwan shot him a dirty look before standing up, “Because I paid money for it.”

“Point taken.” Minwoo shrugged and stood up as well. Walking over to Dongwan, he extended out his hand, “Now, if we have gotten pass the hostilities, may we get introduced? I am Lee Minwoo, the one everyone wants.”

“Kim Dongwan.” Dongwan resisted the urge to roll his eyes for the umpteenth time and shook his hand.

“Well, happy living together!”