Chapter 16

From Dawn Till Dusk

The boy bit his lip, hands fidgeting as he thought about Minwoo’s question seriously. It was a good question, yet he couldn’t seem to put his finger on it. What was it exactly, that he hadn’t done, to keep him here for so many years? Was it because of all the guilt he felt towards Dongwan and Hyesung? Or was it because he couldn’t let go off all the stupid decisions that he had made?

He looked at Minwoo, unable to answer as he forced down all the tears that had welled up in his eyes unknowingly. Reaching out his hand, Minwoo placed his arm over Junjin’s shoulders, patting it to give him comfort.

“What about you?” Junjin asked quietly, his voice a little hoarse from the swallowing of his tears.

“Well, I’ve been thinking about it for so many years, I guess it’s just because I have this blank void in my heart that I can’t fill up. I think once I knew how I died, I would be able to move on.” Minwoo placed a thumb under his chin while pondering about the question. It made the most sense to him, for that was the only memory missing after he was dead.

“I suppose so.” Junjin looked up at him and smiled a little sadly.

Junjin hummed softly as he walked towards that familiar building. It was a place he frequented daily. After all, that small office was where Hyesung resided most of the time during work. It was becoming a second home for Junjin too.

Smiling to himself, he tapped his feet in rhythm while waiting for the lift. It had been a wonderful day for him, and it couldn’t have been better once he had met Hyesung. Dongwan might not be as happy to hear it, but now, Hyesung was as much of an importance in his life as Dongwan is. He couldn’t live without the both of them.

He was grateful that Dongwan had been so accepting towards him, and while he was still strict with his relationship with Hyesung, Junjin knew that his brother meant well. Dongwan had been his brother, his friend and even his father for as long as he could remember. He attended every event that Junjin had participated in, cheered him on and bought him good food whenever he did well. He brought Junjin up to be a good student and one with a bright future. Junjin was grateful that god had given him such a wonderful brother, and he felt really lucky.

Pressing that familiar button once he entered the lift, Junjin placed a big smile on his face. He was excited to see Hyesung again, especially it had been days since he last saw his boyfriend.

Hyesung and him used to meet everyday, but recently Hyesung had put it off, saying that he was really busy. Junjin didn’t mind though. He was understanding about it, since Hyesung sounded really apologetic and busy. Still, even after Junjin told himself not to bother Hyesung, he missed him and those few days was just pure agony. He decided to see Hyesung, and try to make him feel a little better, even if there was nothing he could do to help Hyesung.

Stepping out of the lift, Junjin’s happy expression turned into shock at the sight of the office. The once clean office, with a welcoming atmosphere, was now in shambles. The glass from the windows shattered everywhere, the desks overturned and papers were all over. There wasn’t even one inch that was safe from whatever that had happened in that office earlier.

“Syung?” Junjin’s voice trembled as he held on tight to the straps of his backpack, “Syung? Where are you?”

Walking slowly and evading any pieces of glass on the path, he slowly walked towards the small room in which Hyesung was normally in. Pushing open the door, Junjin gasped at the scene before him.

The small room stank of alcohol, and it was definitely a mess. Soju bottles were lying everywhere, and Junjin scrunched his nose as he walked in. At the corner of the room, Hyesung lay slumped against the wall with his eyes closed. He looked really haggard, and his clothes looked as though he hadn’t changed them for days. While he still looked as y as ever with his unkempt hair, Junjin had no thoughts about it at the moment. He was as worried as hell.

“Syung?” Junjin whispered as he took a step closer to his love. Groaning a little, Hyesung opened his eyes slowly, and Junjin was immediately relieved knowing that it was not what he thought it to be.

“What are you doing here?” Hyesung rubbed his eyes and sat up a little straighter.

“You haven’t contacted me for days, so I thought I will check up on you…” Junjin pursed his lips, fidgeting with his school tie as he spoke.

“I’ll be fine. Go home, Dongwan will be worried for you.” Hyesung replied without a hint of emotion. Confusion flashed across Junjin’s eyes for a moment, yet he made no effort to leave the place.

“Don’t you at least want to tell me what is going on here? Why does it seem as if you are pushing me out of your life?” Junjin asked, a little agitated. Hearing it, Hyesung sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, no wanting to reply Junjin’s question.

“It’s unlike you, Syung. You used to tell me everything. No secrets, remember?” Junjin pushed, and was met with a glare in Hyesung’s eyes.

“What? I said I was fine. You shouldn’t be worrying about all these. Now, go home before your brother calls me. I don’t want to be entertaining him at this moment.” Hyesung stood up and told Junjin sternly.

“But, Syung…” Junjin protested, but the next moment, Hyesung pulled his hand and dragged him to the lift waiting area. Jabbing the button furiously, he pushed Junjin inside when the lift came. Before Junjin could say anything else, he was met with a hard stare from Hyesung.

“Go back home now, and don’t come here again.” Hyesung took a deep breath and jab the close button, walking off as the lift door closes, in which it separated the two into different worlds.