Surprise

Captured Prey
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Surprise

He hadn’t expected to see her this morning. He had a meeting near there and just happened to stop there for coffee beforehand. When she had popped up from behind the counter he almost laughed out loud.  He could tell by the look in her eyes that she was shocked to see him. Even with her hair pulled back and a hat on, he recognized her. He had debated not letting her know he knew but he couldn’t help himself. After he walked out, he had turned to glance back at her and saw her banging her head on the counter and it made him smile and laugh softly. He was tempted to go back in and apologize for startling her but he was short on time. No matter, he would apologize at dinner, if she felt brave enough to call him that is. At least he had found out her name this time.

At noon, she took her lunch break, grabbed a sandwich and a venti iced coffee and went to sit at the park across from work. She felt her forehead, hoping she hadn’t given herself a bump banging her head on the counter. He’d caught her totally off guard today and she thought she had managed to cover well until the moment he told her he’d see her at dinner. She still hadn’t decided if she would call him or not. She was still in shock that he’d suggested the idea after the way she had acted. He must get all kinds of reactions like that. And still he wanted to see her again. What made her different?

Her shift ended and it felt like her phone was burning a hole in her pocket. Do I call him? Do I not call him? Do I call him? Do I not call him? Before she realized what she had done, her phone is in her hand and she dialed his number. Her hands shook as she brought it to her ear. She quickly changed her mind and hung up, her hands still shaking. A second later it rang and his initials showed on the screen. She almost dropped it when she tried to answer it. His husky voice comes over the line, and she is reminded of the way that he sounds when he laughs. She sat down, her legs refusing to cooperate with her commands to remain calm.

“Hello, I take it you are off work now?”

  was suddenly dry and she had to clear before being able to answer him. “Y…yeah I just got done. I was calling like y….you said to.” Her voice sounds tinny in her own ears.

His laugh came over the connection and she felt weak again. “That’s great. Do you want to run home and change before I come pick you up?” he asks cheerfully. She nodded her head, then realized he can’t see her. “Sure, I’ll text you my address. Give me an hour, okay?” She is su

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter