Fighting Back

Personal Maid

 

 

 

“That comes to 4500 won please” I said placing a spoon into the ice cream cup.


The customer passed me the exact change and grabbed some napkins, “Kamsahamnida” I called out after her as she left.


I quickly wiped down the bench and walked out to serve the next person, “Hi, how can I help y –


“Annyeong!!” Chanyeol smiled and waved.


I pulled a face and clicked my tongue, “What do you want?” I asked.


“Ice cream” He said, still smiling, “Why else would I come to an ice-cream shop?”


“Chanyeol don’t be cheeky with me, how did you know I work here?”


“Followed you.” He said blunty, “Don’t worry, the rest aren’t coming, Baekhyun has his detention and the others are busy, Sehun just went home I think”


I felt relieved, thank the lord. Imagine the scene they would cause if they had all came. “Which flavour would you like?”


“Are you buying it for me?” He asked, eyes lighting up.


“No.” I told him, short and straight to the point. “I’ll give you an extra scoop but”


“Ok! In that case I want this one, this one and that one” He said pointing to tiramisu, mango sorbet and coconut crunch. “Then on top of that I want, chocolate fudge, strawberry storm, cookies and cream, mint choc, French vanilla and the extra scoop in blue hea –


“Yah!” I cut him off, “You named almost everything, do you want a stomach ache or something? How are you even going to carry it all?”


“It’s too hard to choose!” He whined, “I already left out a few, and just put it in a big bowl for me to have here, thanks”


I unwillingly scooped his ice cream into a big bowl and handed it to him, he tapped his card on the machine to pay and happily took a seat at the nearest table to start digging in. Chanyeol doesn’t get fat, all the food he eats just ends up adding to his height. I narrowed my eyes at him bitterly, then realised that I wasn’t the only one looking, all the other customers were staring at him too; either shocked because of how much he eats, or mesmerised by his looks.


The shop door opened, ringing the small bell hanging over the top. “Welcome in” I smiled and turned around.


“You still work here?” The customer asked, glancing around the shop.


I sighed, the longest sigh of my life. “How can I help you?”


Min Ah looked at me, a snobby look plastered on her face. “Why are you being so cold? We used to live together”


“If you’re not here for ice-cream then please leave” I told her, knowing she just wants to start trouble.


“Oh wait, my bad. It wasn’t really living together, you were just leeching off us because your parents passed away.” She reminded me in her most fake innocent voice.


I clenched my fist hard to stop myself from getting stirred up. It really hurts, not the pain of my own nails digging into my skin, but the pain of mentioning my parents from her filthy mouth. “This is our ice cream range” I showed her, walking out from behind the counter. “Honey macadamia and brownie bits are the most popular flavours from this shop”


“You must think you’re really up there” She started, “Getting top grades at your old school to make me look bad, now the nerve to attend ChaeSeon in the special class”


“Why are you being so bitter” I asked, wanting more than anything for her to leave. “My bad for whatever you think I did wrong, but I’m trying to work here so I’d appreciate it if you either buy some ice-cream or get out”


She glared at me, “You really piss me off, you unwanted piece of trash.”


“You really have a talent for being a brat” I sighed, clearly having enough of her games. “Maybe that’s why your old boyfriend preferred me over you.”


Without another second wasted, she raised her hand and swung it across my face. Everyone in the shop turned to stare. “Hae Young-ah…” Chanyeol called out and came over, “What’s going on?”


“Nothing, go back and finish your ice-cream” I told him.


“But y –


“Aren’t you lucky?” Min Ah laughed, “Always having a guy around to save you.”


I watched as she was filled with rage, mentioning her ex-boyfriend had always been a taboo topic. That good for nothing guy couldn’t stop drooling over me after she had invited him over to dinner one time. A little part of me regretted bringing that up, because I know now that she won’t ever leave me alone until she sees me cry and beg for forgiveness.


She took a step closer to me, “Are you proud of being a little hoe?” She fought back, “No wonder your parents left you in that accident, they probably didn’t want to watch their daughter grow up to become such a proud .”


“Don’t you think that’s going too far?” Chanyeol pointed out.


Her voice replayed in my mind, ‘No wonder your parents left you in that accident’. I couldn’t get it to stop, those words really touched where it hurts the most. I felt myself drown as that phrase gets repeated over and over again in my head. My hands became numb from clenching too hard, I want her to leave me for good. Why is that so difficult? I felt my heart ache and my brain throb. Then a moment of complete silence washed over me. I know this feeling. I had snapped. Min Ah achieved her goal, she finally stirred me.


“Yah…” I said looking directly at her, there was no going back. “You really know how to get people mad don’t you?”


“Why are you trying to act tough now?” She scoffed. “If you’re afraid just tell me and I’ll think about letting you go”


I shoved her back a little, “Afraid?” I questioned finding it clearly funny. “You think I was quiet this whole time because I was afraid of you?”


“Yah. Lee Hae Young!” She said raising her voice.


“What?” I replied giving her another push.


“You better –
 

I slammed her against the wall before she could finish, “Do you remembers this?” I asked, “This is what you used to always do to me. How does it feel to be cornered now?”


“W-what’s wrong with you?” She stuttered a little.


I smirked with satisfaction when I saw fear in her eyes. She had never seen me fight back, I’ve always silently accepted her abuse. “Why don’t you cry for your mum now?” I mocked, remembering all those times Min Ah had pretended to play victim.


“H-hae Young, you better stop or else you’re going to r-regret it”


“Please don’t tell me you’re so scared that you can’t even talk properly.” I laughed, “Let me make something clear for you, since you’ve never been that smart; I don’t have much to lose right now so don’t push me too far, this is my warning.” 


She raised a hand, in attempt to slap me again. I grabbed it and tightened my grip around her wrist, twisting it slightly, holding back the temptation to break it off completely. Why should I be merciful to her? When had she ever held back against me? I should just –


“Lee Hae Young!” I heard the devil’s voice yell sternly.


What is he doing here?


Sehun ran over and pulled me off Min Ah, holding onto me tight so I can’t struggle free. “Let me go!” I screamed, kicking.


How did he know I was here? I glared over at Chanyeol who had his hands clasped together. “Mianhae”, he mouthed.

 

The devil looked at Min Ah, “What are you still doing? Hurry up and scam” he told her.


She stared at me, “Crazy b*tch” she muttered before she left.


The manager finally returned from his break and saw the shop in chaos, “W-what’s going on?” He asked looking around. Chanyeol pulled him aside and talked to him.


Sehun waited until Min Ah was gone then lifted me out. “I said let me go!” I yelled, still kicking him.


“Shut up.” He sighed, “Stop moving.”


I couldn’t break free with his arms wrapped around me, so I bit him. Hard.


“YAH!” He raised his voice, “Are you insane?”


“Let me go! I need to get back to work!” I squirmed, in another attempt to get away.


“No, you’re going home” He ordered firmly.