First Meeting

Fated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The party’s in full swing and almost everyone’s either on the dance floor or enjoying their drinks. And here I am, feeling miserable all while surrounded by a hundred happy faces. I had a rough day at the office today, my dad is really serious about training me to become the next CEO of our company, and I was planning on having a movie marathon complete with popcorn and junk foods to drown my sorrows away. I just got home when my best friend Lee Jin called me and demanded that I show my face at her brother’s birthday party or else she’s going to come and drag me there, herself, leaving me with no choice but to dress up and head to the fancy hotel where the party is held. 

I stand up and start to leave the table where my other friends are still busy talking when Kim Ji Won holds me by the wrist.

“Where are you going?” she asks.

“Just going to the powder room, duh?” I roll my eyes playfully at her.

“Are you okay? You’re not going to escape, are you?” Jeon Soo Jin, asks with a worried look on her face. She turns to look at her boyfriend, Jasper, who, too looks worried.

“Of course not. I’m okay, trust me. And besides, Jin is going to kill me if I leave without telling her,” I smile hoping to ease some of their worries.

“Want me to accompany you?” offers Yoo Ah In. He has always looked after me. Even if he’s a year younger, he acts like an overprotective older brother to me.

“To the ladies’ room, Ah In? Seriously?” He blushes and opens his mouth to rebut when I stop him.

“Guys, I’m heartbroken, not an invalid. You don’t have to worry, I’ll be back in a jiffy, ‘kay?” I give them a bright smile as I make my way to the rest room. My friends can be really annoying worrywarts sometimes.

----

 I stare at my reflection in the mirror and shockingly note the horrible bags under my eyes.

 “Ah, all these nights spent crying are making me look like a panda,” I sigh. I pick up my bag and start to head out, all while reminding myself to search for a good concealer later on. 

Just when I thought that I was already okay, slow music starts playing at the event hall. Really, now? It's like the universe is teasing me.

I look at the direction of my friends' table and note that some of them already started to join the couples invading the dance floor while the others left at the table are busy chatting with one another. Geesh. I am so not in the mood to watch them give their partners lovey dovey looks. Instead of heading towards their table, I grab a glass of red wine and head towards the balcony, hoping to be alone and to s pend the rest of the night in peace, away from all the commotion, and away from the worried looks of my friends.

I stare at the night sky, amazed by the dozens of stars twinkling back at me. "At least you're there for me. You won't leave me, too, will you?" I mutter, mostly to myself as I take a sip from my glass.

I have always found comfort in watching the night sky. No matter how upset I am, just one look at the starry sky and I would instantly feel okay. I, sometimes, would stay up at night and talk to them just like they're old friends of mine. I tell them about my secrets, they know about my pain. I once told Hae Jin about this and he just laughed at me, calling me weird. Hae Jin. Oh how I miss him. It's been a while since I talked to him. I wonder what he's doing right now. Does he miss me, too?

I take out my phone and check his facebook account. Oh, he uploaded a picture a while ago. As I click the update, I was surprised to see him grinning widely in the picture. He looks happy. How could he be happy, when I'm hurting this much? Tears start to fall as I put my phone down.

"You never really cared for me, did you?" I shout at the sky.

"How stupid I was to think that you really cared for me! How can you be so happy! At least, don't let me see how happy you are when you hurt me! You're so cruel! I hate you oppa! I hate you Hae Jin! I hate you! I hate yoouuu!!!" I scream and sob at the same time, feeling the pain in my chest. I down the rest of the wine and slam it as hard as I could at the balcony railings.

"It's not the glass's fault, you know," a manly voice says, startling me.

"Who's that? Where are you?" I ask, trying to decipher where the voice came from when a guy in crisp suit emerges from the dark corner of the balcony. He had that look in his eyes that I couldn't quite describe. He approaches me and takes my hand. I instantly pull back, surprised at the gesture. Feeling something wet dripping from my hand, I turn to look at it and feel mortified seeing my hand bloody and wounded. He takes a step forward. 

"What are you doing? Get away from me" I say, taking a step back.

"At least, let me help you," he says, looking a bit concerned

"Why should I, I don't even know you. You might be a killer for all I know" I say, still keeping a safe distance.

"I'm too good looking to be a killer. And if I were one, I would've killed you when you were unaware and busy screaming at God knows what. Besides, I don't kill pretty girls," he smirks.

"You're pretty sly for a murderer, aren't you," I say, trying to take a closer look at the guy standing in front of me. He's quite attractive, but I still don't trust him.

"He's not worth it," he says and I note the seriousness in his voice.

"What? Who?" I ask, confused. What the hell is he talking about?

"That guy you were cursing a while ago. He's stupid to let you go. Such a coward to dump someone like you"

"What makes you think he dumped me?" I am starting to get annoyed at this guy. Doesn't he know how to mind his own business?

"Well, didn't he?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

I open my mouth to answer, but can't find the right words to say. His words bring me back to that night when Hae Jin told me we shouldn't see each other anymore. The night that he told me that I was nothing more than a little sister to him when for me, he meant my entire world. Suddently, I feel the familiar ache in my chest coming back. 

"It's none of your business," I finally fire back. "Why don't you just leave me alone and go back to whatever it is that you like doing. I am not in the mood to deal with someone like you. Go kill someone else and stop bothering me!"

"How many times do I have to tell you that I am not killing anybody here?" he sighs "I'm just an incredibly attractive innocent guy, who is accused of being a murderer, which I am not. So will you please let me take a look at your hand? It's bleeding quite heavily. You might faint from hypovolemic shock. Oh, wait, are you planning on fainting on purpose just so I'd catch you?" he says cockily

"You're too full of yourself," I say, preparing to leave when he grabs my wounded hand and expertly wraps a handkerchief around it. I shudder a little as he touches my wrist. Is it even cold out here? I doubt.

"And you're too stubborn for your own good. I'm Joong Ki, by the way," he says, waiting for my response.

"Not interested," I reply and start to walk away when again, I feel his hand grabbing mine.

"You really need to get that checked. It might get infected," he says, looking intently into my eyes, causing my heart to beat rapidly. Terrified of my reaction, I struggle to get free from his grip.

"I don't need you to tell me what to do, I can handle myself very well. So please," I say, a bit harshly as I glance to where his hand is still holding mine. Who does he think he is, trying to tell me what to do. After a few seconds, he blinks, seems to get the idea and lets go. For someone who's very attractive, he could be really annoying. That should teach him to mind his own business.

How unlucky could I get? Here I am trying to enjoy the rest of the night in peace and someone ruins it for me. I'm so annoyed! I stomp my way back to my friends' table when I bump into Lee Jin and Hyo Joo.

"Where have you been? I've been looking all over for you!" Lee Jin asks. Her reaction battling between relief and wanting to be scold me. I feel my annoyance dissipate a bit. Lee Jin is the sister I've never had. With our parents being close friends, we've been inseparable since we were kids, which means I also got to hang out with his older brother Lee Jong Suk often (who also took it as his responsibility to act like my older brother) until he went abroad to study. 

"We thought you already left. I thought I was going to get mad at you for leaving without m.. what happened to your hand?" Hyo Joo worriedly asks, staring at my bloody hand still wrapped in Joong whatever's handkerchief.

"Oh, it's nothing. I kind of injured myself with the wine glass. Don't worry about me" I flash them a smile, hoping that they'd let the matter go. They exchange glances with one another, turn to me and worriedly nod. "And besides, your brother's about to blow his cake," I smile, knowing that with this statement, she'd let me go.

"Okay, but w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter