Phone pals (part 2 - v1)

Blank Ji and Kookie

Version 1

 

“I have a problem” came the sudden message from him. “I like this girl very much and ask her to the prom, she had said yes.” Her heart skipped a beat, it was a confession from him about another girl. She got jealous, she had somehow felt he was her best friend.

 

“OK, is it that great?” she reply cautiously.

 

“It is if she could at least like me as a person. She now treated me like a sickness, someone to avoid. :(“ the sad face at the end of sentence touched her heart. Her best friend was sad.

 

“If she could have known you, she would not have avoid you, you are such a great person.” she replied. “Maybe you should like her know you more … “

“I tried … but it back fired. The more i talked to her, the more she drifted away. Now I am thinking should i just cancel our prom date.” he somehow had the same situation as her, but they wanted to cancel for different reasons.

 

She felt his tenderness towards the unknown girl.it was really her gentle friend, she smiled. That was why he was special. She felt bad saying her problem now. It would have hurt him only.

 

“The girl is missing out a lot.” she tried to console him. “My friend, don’t get so depressed. You could still have fun at the prom alone.”

 

“Maybe I would give it a miss, if i think of an excuse. Do you think I am too selfish if I still wanted to attend with her. Maybe to fulfill my fantasy of finally about to date her.”

 

“My friend, I would not think of you as that. Maybe when you go to the prom with her, she would know you are a great guy and wanted to make friends with you?” she replied.

 

“How can i be a great guy when I just think of myself. Well, how many people keep their first love, at least, she had promised to go to the prom with me, I should be happy.” she felt he was dejected and out of love.

 

“I had never been in love so I did not know the feeling. But I can see your sadness, you just need to know you have a good friend here.”

 

“Thanks, friend. I am happy that day i had answered your message. :)”

 

They both talked about other things till late into the night. The next morning, she saw Kim Jong Kook at the school gate, he looked like he was waiting for someone, she hoped he not waiting for her. However, things were usually not as you wish. “Seong-Im, can we talk?” he asked. Luckily, it was early and not a lot of people was around, she nodded and they both walked towards behind the school block.

 

He seemed hesitant. “You remember our date to the prom?” he asked.

 

“Yes, I promise you.” she said.

 

“Well, let us cancel it.” he mummered.

 

“What?” she thought she had heard wrongly, maybe the day was not so bad after all.

 

‘I said, Let’s cancelled it.” he paused as he saw her smile. “I know it was right to do it.” he managed a weak smile. “See you around.” and he left. His back hinted of loneliness, her heart somehow went to him, she wanted to run after him, to tell him she would still like to go to the prom with him, but her leg was rooted to the ground.

 

“I told her just now.” she read the message when she heard the beep on the phone, “she was so happy. I make the right choice, but it hurt , knowing the person you like did not like you back.” it was too coincident, Kim Jong Kook and him could not have done the same thing around the same time.

 

“Where did you tell her?” she asked, keeping her fingers crossed.

 

“At the back of the school…. The place where my broken heart lies now.”

 

“At the back of the school?” she confirmed.

 

“Yes,” she was in shock! “Lee Kwang Soo” was Kim Jong Kook! The sensitive guy that she knew was Kim Jong Kook, and Kim Jong Kook like her. She had told him that any girl would fall for the him but the most ironic thing was that she was the person who had rejected him in the first place.

 

“Where are you now.” she need to explain, explained her discomfort, explained she like the person that he was, he was not the flashy guy she thought she knew.

 

“It ok, I can take care of myself.” he answered.

 

“But I am not.” she saw him, sitting under a tree in the field, his eyes glue to his phone. She walked towards him, finally standing in front of him. He stood up when he realised she was there.

 

She read the message on her phone. “It really ok, I won’t do anything stupid. I just need to have some time by myself.” then she typed in. “I am sorry.” his phone immediately beeped, he was surprised.

 

“Why?” he typed, and her phone beeped.

 

“For been a jerk, while I told you the girl was missing out someone great, I never though I was that stupid girl.”

 

He looked at her, “You are Star Unicon?”

 

“Yes, Lee Kwang Soo.” she said, her eyes matched his. He was unsure, how to react. The confident guy was no more, a shy guy now stood in front of her.

 

“It seem both of us have been hiding under a mask” she said.

 

“Yes, but i always thought you are a wonderful person. I saw you helping other people subtly and claiming credit and I just could not have stop myself for liking you.” he tried to explain.

 

“You are always the flashy guy, every move you make the whole school will know. I hated it when you put us in the limelight, that why’s I dont want to attend the prom. Really!” she also revealed her reason. “But I like the guy that I messaged every day, the person who could share his thoughts with me, who was always putting others in front of him.” she paused. “Maybe it because I never get to know the real you behind the mask .. Should we start all over again?”

 

He did not know what to expect.”We can?”

 

She smiled. “Of course, I know there are two you, the flashy person that is the leader in school, and the shy one who is sensitive. I want to know the real you, maybe not in school, but I wanted to know you.” She extended her hand.

 

He did too.

 

“And, maybe we should still keep the prom date.” She suggested. He smiled shyly but the smile dazzled her, her heart beating uncontrollably.

 

“Yes, let’s” he agreed.

 

The morning sun shone through the leaves and the wind gently surrounded them. It was the morning they become friends.