Fool

Blank Ji and Kookie

When I first laid my eyes on her, I knew she would be the right kind of girl for me. Her smile was so bright and sweet. But then I had a girlfriend, even when we were going through a rough time, I should still stay true to her. But sadly as family outing came to an end, so did my relationship with her. She said I didn’t love her, just using her to fill up time in between exercise and work. I sighed, that was never my intention but I couldn’t convince her and so we broke up.

 

Luckily running man came along, I was caught up in the preparation and knowing the new casts and staff that would be doing the show. I was happy that at least Jae Suk and Haha will be around, they invited Suk Jin, Gary, Kwang Soo and Joong Ki. I always need time to grow close to people and chemistry was the thing we needed to make the show a success.

 

They invited her on the second recording, I would be lying if I told you I felt nothing. My heart had skipped a beat when I saw her, running in enthusiastically and looking happy. But yet for the whole recording, I did not speak to her except when I needed too, I just felt shy doing thait. Jae Suk hyung wanted to start a love line between the two of us, I remember staring into her eyes when he said that, and we both looked away shyly. When the PD asked me, I had refused the offer, having a loveline in Family outing and X-man was troublesome enough.

 

When she was invited as a permanent cast, no one can imagine I was the happiest person. But we were always on different teams, then came the decision of starting a love line between her and Gary, I supported it, it would do the two quietest person but yet a small seed of jealousy was also planted in my heart. We were just colleagues, and I sighed when we didn’t get closer over the months we were on the show. She even called me “Hyung!”.

 

Then she requested to be on the same team as me because she wanted to win, she said. “I want to be on the same team as Jong Kook Oppa.” her eyes filled with tears of frustration. Everyone felt for the delicate woman and agreed to her request. The PD had arranged us to be on the same team, just the two of us and no one else. Even asking us to film something close together, but that was the turning point for us, for our relationship. We won of course but I got even more, I was finally Oppa. We got closer, and she always looked for me when she had doubts knowing I would help her like I helped others.

 

But slowly, I found myself falling for her, noticing her every move, worry about her and nagging at her. When people tried to pair us together, I would say she was a Dong seaong. Whenever they pair me with another woman, I would act happy. When I was “forced” to be a team with her, I would act depressed. But who would know, I was insanity happy to be a team with her, doing whatever to make sure the pretty woman won. Even if I was on different teams, there is a chance, I would still let her win.

 

I had even said, “You are not my type!” But who would know, I am zealously jealous whenever I saw her pair with others, even when it was Haha or Jae Suk or Juk Jin or Kwang Soo, but most of all, I was jealous of Gary who can have a loveline with her. As long as it was not me, I was jealous. Ji Hyo, how can you not know, whenever in my eyes, there is only you.

 

Slowly, everyone knew I love her. Haha was the first to ask me, we were eating and talking as always when he suddenly popped the question. “Hyung, you like Ji Hyo, right?” His eyes staring at me. I could not lie. How could I lie about loving her, I did not answer. “Hyung I am right, I know. Go after her, she is a good woman, Look at how happy I am with Byul, you deserved your happiness too.” I didn’t say anything, our friendship was something I cherished the most. Then it was Jae Suk and Suk Jin. Both encouraged me to chase after her. But I keep my quiet, I wanted to know I was in her heart too, before I confessed. Kwang Soo urged me to so that his favorite hyung and noona can be a pair. Finally, Gary too, at first he was angry at me, for loving her, then two days later, he gave us his blessing. But yet, in my heart, she was already making me nervous the way she was, if she got any prettier, I would have to love her more, but she was always mong and did not know I love her so.

 

In the midst of all the women, I can only see her, her pretty smile, her pouting face, I can only hear her, everything she said I would listen to it attentively. Even when she was sharing her goals, telling me her woe, sharing her joy, venting her frustration, I wanted to be there for her. She was the woman I love, but yet only her, only her did not know I love her. My eyes would look at her, asking her, why did not you know I love you, when will you know.

 

I wanted to know everything about her, so I slowly started to know her. Eventually, I knew so well, even when she just rose her eyebrows, I would know what she wants, be there for her, when she needed it most. It frightened me sometimes, if she chose someone else over me.

 

These days, she always looked so happy, a different person, my heart would freeze when she smiled happily for no reason, a smile I had never seen before, not even with her ex. I knew she had found her love, but who was he, and why was he not me. When I laid on my bed, I was angry with myself for letting someone entered her heart before I did. Why did she not know who my heart belong to? It was hers from the start. I felt my heart ached that she would never be mine. But I loved her too much, if she didn’t know what everyone else knew, it was ok, it's better that way, she would be happier that way. As long as she happy, everything will be ok. I will step back, yes I will, for her happiness, I will bury myself if it that would make her happy.

 

One day, after our recording, she cornered me. “Oppa,” she stared angrily at me. “Oppa” she kept pushing me hard until my back was against the wall. “Oppa” she shouted angrily at me, then her tears dropped. “Oppa, You fool, don’t you know? You really don’t know? Everyone knows but you, only you don’t know.” she whispered while her fists landed on my chest. I could felt her venting her anger on me. I looked at her bewildered what did I do not know. All I know was to calm her, I pulled her closer and hug her with all my might.

 

“I .. “ as I felt her tears wetting my heart, I did not know what to do. I loosen my hold, it was me that made her cry, maybe I should just disappear, but she sensed that I wanted to leave and clenched onto me.

 

“Oppa, don’t get away any further, don’t push me away. My heart is out of breath from chasing after you for so long. Oppa, I like ... no ... I love you! From the beginning, it was only you, you really don’t know?” My face gone blank, she loved me, she had loved me from the beginning, how could I not know. How could I who knew her everything but didn’t know she loved me too.

 

I felt her loosen as if she had lost all hopes. I took her back in my embrace. She buried her face again into my chest. “Don’t get away any further, don’t push me away. My heart is out of breath, out of breath from chasing after you from the beginning. I love you, every day, I love you a bit more. I can only see you, I can only love you. I love you so much and I kept asking myself, why didn’t you know and when will you know this heart” I stopped, she had stopped crying and listening to me. “Little did I know, I was too busy seeing you, hearing you to see and hear you that you love me too. Please accept this fool, Ji Hyo yah.”

 

I can felt her turning her head away, as if not willing to forgive me. “Ji Hyo, everyone knows we liked each other but us two. Maybe it because we loved each other too much and cherished whatever we had then we forgot about each other. I don’t want to happen again, my brave Ji Hyo. Please forgive me.” I felt her nodding, I rose her head so that my lips can seek hers, to taste her sweetness, to feel the softness of her lips on mine. The kiss that made my brain exploded into fireworks, my heart to stop working, sending electricity down my spine.

 

I must ask a question, the question that made me sleepless for so many nights. “That happy smile, that happy smile I saw whenever you are alone, is it because of me? The smile that drove me crazy, that smile that made me angry, that smile that gave me those sleepless nights it was because of me?”

 

She giggled, then showing me that smile, “You mean this one, of course, it was because of you. So you got jealous of yourself?” she asked. I can only nod my head. She giggled and then pressed those lovely lips on mine again, “Oppa, you deserved it.”

 

My heart was overwhelmed with love. “I love you too, Song Ji Hyo.”

 


 
Inspired his new OST "Hey Fool" Thanks for the english translation by KJKIntl.  kept replaying the song while writing this. Hope you liked it.