Midnight Hiding Place

Rella! (A SiChul Romance)

This is a double update! :) So, make sure you've read chp. 8 first,

 

     Soft blue moonlight illuminated the path as Kim Heechul slowly made his way towards the stables. He was dressed in a white silk nightgown and robe with long flowing sleeves. His hair was braided down his back and his feet were bare, the dew soaked grass cool between his toes. Warm lantern light could be seen seeping through the stable doors, signaling the presence of his prince. Heechul took a deep breath and slipped inside the barn. He had to tell Siwon goodbye before his feelings grew too deep.

    “My Lady,” Siwon gasped, standing up from the bale of hay he’d been seated on. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to wake you.”

    “I heard that you dined with Lord Lee tonight,” Heechul began, his voice pitched up and soft. “Weren’t we supposed to meet near the field, Sire?”

     “My mother dragged me to diner instead. I thought you might be present, but you weren’t. Where does he keep you hidden, My Lady?”

    “In the attic,” Heechul revealed with a sad smile. “I’m not worthy of a real room. He’s not my real family, after all.”

     “Does he mistreat you, Heemi?” Siwon questioned, moving closer and reaching out to take Heechul’s hands. “I can have you moved to the palace…,”

     “He does more than mistreat me,” Heechul mumbled to himself, his words reaching Siwon’s ears.

     “What has he done to you?” Siwon asked, concern in his voice as he pulled Heechul into his arms. “You can trust me, My Lady?”

    “Not with this secret, Sire.” Heechul denied, “I actually came to tell you…,”

    “If you’re not too tired, let’s go for a ride.” Siwon interrupted, taking a step back and gesturing to the horse he’d saddled for his journey home. “The moon is full tonight. Come with me, My Lady?”

     “I can’t,” Heechul denied, “I came to tell you…,”

    “Please?”

    “I…,” Heechul began, the childlike sparkle in Siwon’s eyes causing his heart to waver. “Alright, I’ll ride with you, Sire.”

    “Call me Siwon.” the prince instructed, offering Heechul his hand. “Remember, when we’re together I’m just a man, and you’re just a woman.”

    “But, I’m not a woman.” Heechul whispered as Siwon guided him towards the horse he’d prepared.

    Heechul allowed Siwon to help him onto the horse this time, too tired to do it himself. He wrapped his arms around Siwon’s waist and laid his head over on Siwon’s back as the prince flicked the reigns. The horse trotted from the barn and down the path passed the manor. Heechul prayed that no one saw him riding away with the prince. The Queen’s carriage was still parked outside, signaling that they were most likely having drinks.

    “My mother will probably stay for hours,” Siwon laughed, “She loves a good dinner party.”

    “I’ve never been to a dinner party before,” Heechul said with a yawn. “I find the concept boring.”

    Letting his eyes slide shut, Heechul basked in the warmth of Siwon’s back against his cheek as they rode through the night. This moment was one of the most perfect moments in his life. He was free of his stepfamily, there was a handsome man in his arms, and the wind hitting his face made him feel as if he was flying. Before Heechul realized it, he had fallen asleep.

     “My Lady?” Siwon’s voice woke him, the movement of the horse gone. “We’re here.”

    Heechul yawned and opened his eyes. He was lying on a wooden bench overlooking what looked like a garden. Flowers and bushes stretched out in intricate patterns between winding stone paths and gushing fountains. There was a building in the center of the garden with windows lit with flickering lantern light.

    “Where are we?” Heechul asked, sitting up and yawning sleepily.

    “My secret hideaway,” Siwon whispered, offering Heechul his hand. “This garden is maintained by the palace staff for events, such as balls, or parties. Most of the year, it’s vacant.”

     “What’s the building?” Heechul questioned as Siwon helped him to his feet.

     “I’ll show you,”

    Taking Heechul’s hand, Siwon led him along the stone path that wove through the moonlit garden. Heechul could feel his heart beating in his chest as he was pulled along, the path cool beneath his bare feet. Even in the moonlight, the garden was breathtaking. The flowers were bright shades of red and pink, their colors most likely vivid in the sunlight.

    “The building is mainly decorative,” Siwon explained as they stepped up onto the porch that wrapped around the circular structure. “But, there’s a small room inside I used to hide from my responsibilities.”

    Siwon smiled softly as he opened the door to reveal a set of stairs winding upwards. Orange lantern light flickered from above as they ascended the staircase. At the top, Heechul found himself standing in a small room filled with books. There was a mattress on the floor near a large window overlooking the garden. It was covered in silk pillows and a red blanket.

    “I come here to write,” Siwon explained, “If I weren’t going to be King one day, I’d like to be a scholar.”

     “You write?” Heechul whispered, moving across the room and reaching for one of the books. “Did you write all of these?”

     “Not all of them,” Siwon clarified, “I also like to read here.”

     “I write,” Heechul informed, turning on his heels and facing Siwon with a smile. “I have a box under my bed filled with books. My mother used to write fairy tales. What do you write about, Sire?”

    “Everything,” Siwon answered, moving forwards and plucking a book off the shelf. “This one is about nature. It’s just notes I took about things I observed.”

      Heechul took the book from him as Siwon picked up another.

    “And, this one is about a ghost.” Siwon detailed, picking up more books as he spoke. “This one is an experiment I did with poetry, and this one…,”

    Heechul laughed softly to himself as he watched Siwon gush over his books like an excited child. He never thought he’d have so much in common with royalty. Siwon was like him in so many ways. He dreamed similar dreams and held similar beliefs about life. Suddenly, Heechul wished he really was a woman. It’s not that he wasn’t content being male. Most days he liked it just fine. But, if he were a woman, there was a chance the Prince could love him. There was a chance that they could be happy.

    “What’s this one about?” Heechul asked, reaching out a picking up a small pink book.

    “That one,” Siwon began, dropping the books he was carrying and moving back to Heechul. “That one isn’t finished yet.”

     “It’s pretty,” Heechul observed, flipping open the cover to reveal the Prince’s swirling handwriting. “What’s it about?”

    “It’s about a Prince’s search for love,” Siwon whispered, placing his hand alongside Heechul’s face and causing the elder to look up. “But, It doesn’t have an ending yet.”

     “Why not?”

     “I haven’t found any inspiration for it,” Siwon stated, leaning forwards and capturing Heechul’s lips in a slow kiss.

   The book Heechul was holding fell from his hands and his arms slid around Siwon’s neck as they kissed. Siwon’s lips were soft against his own, and he tasted of fine wine. Heechul felt as if his heart was going to fly out of his chest as Siwon wrapped his arms around his waist and the kiss deepened.

     Before Heechul knew what was happening, he felt himself slowly walking backwards. After a moment, he was being gently guided down upon the mattress beneath the window. His head came to rest upon a silk pillow as the kiss broke and Siwon hovered over him. They regarded one another for a small moment, their chests heaving from the passionate kiss they’d just shared.

    “I have no experience with men, Sire.” Heechul told the truth, his encounters with his stepfather not counting as experience is his mind, but as painful memories instead.

     “I do not plan on taking things very far tonight, My Lady.” Siwon assured, “You’re safe in my arms.”

     “Maybe, I should go.” Heechul began, starting to sit up just as a clap of thunder sounded and heavy rain began to hit the window. “Or not…,”

    “We won’t be going anywhere until the rain stops,” Siwon pointed out, moving back and allowing Heechul to sit up. “Why don’t we read to pass the time?”

     “I’d like to read the one about the Prince,” Heechul requested, gesturing to the pink book he’d dropped on the floor.

    “But, it has no ending?”

    “Maybe, I can inspire one.” Heechul offered, leaning forwards and placing a quick kiss on Siwon’s lips. “Let me try, Sire.”

    “I thought you said you weren’t trying to seduce me, My Lady?” Siwon teased as he retrieved the book from the floor and brought it back to the mattress.

     “I’m not,” Heechul defended, “You’re the one who kissed me, Sire.”

    “Maybe, I’m the one doing the courting then.” Siwon offered with a teasing smile. “Would you like me to court you, My Lady?”

    “What is your opinions on love, Sire?” Heechul diverted, taking the pink book from Siwon’s hand and flipping it open. “Do you have to be in love to marry? Can a man only love a woman, or can his heart belong to a man as well? Is love at first sight real? Is love even real…,”

    “Those are a lot of complicated questions,” Siwon cut off as he made himself comfortable on the mattress with his head nestled in the pillows. “Lie down next to me, Heemi, and I will try and answer them.”

     “I thought we were going to read?”

    “The rain doesn’t look like it will be letting up soon. We might as well sleep,” Siwo suggested, “Don’t worry, My Lady. I did promise you’d be safe in my arms, didn’t I?”

    “Alright,” Heechul answered, lying down next to Siwon and letting his head rest on the Prince’s chest as he flipped through the book in his hands. “Now, answer my questions.”

    “First, I would prefer to be in love with the woman I marry.” Siwon began, his hand gently Heechul’s back as he spoke. “But, I know arranged marriage may be an option I’ll have to face. My parents want me to choose a wife by the end of the ball this weekend. If I do not, one will be chosen for me.”

    “Do you have any preferences?” Heechul asked, frightened the Prince would say his name.

    “I might,” Siwon avoided, “The woman I’m thinking of has no thoughts of marriage. I’m going to have to persuade her first.”

    “She sounds like a smart girl,” Heechul stated, his heart fluttering, for he knew the Prince was speaking of him. “What about my other questions? Can a man only love a woman, Sire?”

     “Honestly, I have never given the subject much thought. There are no laws against two men or two women marrying. I guess it does happen.”

    “Do you approve?”

    “If they are in love and their situation allows it, I believe it is their choice.” Siwon answered, “Love is love.”

    “Have you ever been attracted to man, Sire?” Heechul boldly asked, afraid of the answer he’d receive.

    “Honestly, maybe.” Siwon replied, “There was this servant the other day who screamed at me. He had these eyes that I couldn’t stop staring at. You remind me a lot of him.”

    “Are you talking about Heechul? He’s the one who assaulted you a few days ago.”

    “Yes,” Siwon confirmed, “But, he’s a servant. Even if I did like him, nothing could come of it.”

    “What about other men?”

    “I had a crush on my best friend when I was younger,” Siwon chuckled, “I can’t believe I’m admitting this to you, My Lady. Please don’t think less of me for it? I do like women as well.”

    “So do I, Sire.” Heechul told the truth, “Though, my experiences with women are also limited. I have found a few attractive over the years.”

    “You surprise me more and more every second, Heemi.” Siwon informed, “You discuss things that most women would blush over as if they were nothing. I’ve never met someone so honest and open.”

    “I’m not honest,” Heechul whispered to himself as Siwon continued to answer his questions. “I’m deceiving you, Sire.”

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's another update :)

I hope you like it?

COMMENTS = LOVE!!