Invitation

Rella! (A SiChul Romance)

 

 

     When Heechul awoke the next morning he felt warm and full of joy. It had been many years since he’d awoken with a sense of peace in his heart. Something about this moment felt surreal to him, as if he weren’t in his own bed, but faraway in a dream. Eyes fluttering open, Heechul’s posture went rigid as he spotted Prince Choi Siwon lying next to him. This wasn’t his bed, which meant, he’d been out all night.

    “I’m dead,” Heechul panicked, sitting up with a jerk and scooting away from the slumbering prince. “I was only supposed to be gone a couple hours.”

    Climbing clumsily to his feet, Heechul stumbled across the room. He wished he could wait for Siwon to wake so he could bid him farewell, but there wasn’t enough time. From the position of the sun outside the window, Heechul could tell it was very early. If he were lucky, he could make it back to the manor before anyone woke up and noticed he was gone.

   Picking up the pink book he’d been reading the night before, Heechul turned to a blank page and retrieved a quill and ink from the shelf. If he wasn’t able to speak with Siwon before he left, he’d at least leave him a note.

    Siwon,

     I am sorry I did not wake you. It was important that I return home before sunrise. If Lord Lee knew I was out all night, I would be punished. It’s not proper. I want you to know that our time together has been very special to me. No one has ever made me feel the things you have inspired in me. You’re a good man, and will make a great King one day. I am sorry, I cannot see you again. Please, do not ask why? The answer isn’t something I’m prepared to admit to you at this time.

    Love always, Lady Heemi

 

     Placing the note on the floor next to Siwon, Heechul tiptoed from the room and exited the building. Luckily, the garden was vacant of people and the horse Siwon had taken from the stable the night before was standing safely beneath a grove of trees.

    “Goodbye, My Prince.” Heechul whispered as he climbed onto his horse and guided it in the direction of home. “I’m sorry..,”

   By the time Heechul arrived back at the manor, the sun had risen into the sky and the house was awake with signs of life. Securing his horse in the stable, Heechul snuck in the backdoor and slipped upstairs to change his clothing. It was bad enough that he’d stayed out all evening. If any caught him in his mother’s night gown, there would be too much to try and explain away.

    “Where have you been?” Leeteuk panicked as Heechul stepped into the kitchen with a basket of apples he’d hurriedly picked from the orchard after changing. “Soo-Man is furious!”

    “The Prince and I went for a ride and got caught in the rain,” Heechul explained, “I didn’t mean to stay out all night. It was an accident.”

    “Did you tell him you couldn’t see him anymore?”

    “I left a note,” Heechul replied, placing his basket on the counter as Soo-Man entered the room with his daughters in tow.

    “Where were you?!” Soo-Man raged, knocking the apple basket off the counter and spilling red fruit across the floor. “I told you to wait for me in my chambers and you weren’t there! Where did you go?!”

    “I ran into Prince Siwon on my way to your chambers,” Heechul lied, “He requested I help him saddle a horse. I rode with him to return the horse when he was done, but the rain prevented me from returning last night. I’m sorry, Father.”

    “You were with the Prince last night?” Jessica stammered, “I heard the Queen’s attendants say the Prince didn’t return home. They said he was with some mystery girl all night.”

    “I do not know what he did after I left him,” Heechul lied once more, “I spent the night in a grove of trees.”

    “Did you see her?” Tiffany interrogated, “Who’s the woman the Prince has been spending all his time with? Is she pretty?”

    “I didn’t see her, sorry.”

    “Why do I feel like you’re lying about this?” Soo-Man began, picking up a rolling pin off the counter where Leeteuk had been making biscuits. “The fact is, that I told you to wait for me upstairs and you disobeyed.”

     “I was only following the Prince’s orders,” Heechul tried to excuse, “He’s royalty and…,”

     Heechul’s words turned into a shout as Soo-Man brought the rolling pin back and struck him in the side with it. Pain shot through Heechul’s hip and he fell to the ground as Soo-Man struck him two more times on the back.

    “If you disobey my orders again, I will do worse than hit you.” Soo-Man warned, stomping from the kitchen, the rolling pin hitting the floor with a loud clang.

     “I think we should shred his clothes,” Jessica laughed, kicking Heechul as she passed. “It would be funny watching him work in rags.”

     “You’re just bitter the Prince has chosen a real Lady over you,” Heechul ground out, “Both of you are pathetic.”

    “So, you did see her.” Tiffany gushed, “Who is she?”

    “I don’t know her name, but she’s beautiful.” Heechul lied, “The Prince looked at her like she was his world. Face it, you’ve lost.”

    “We haven’t lost until he’s married,” Jessica argued, “Come along, Sister. After we dispose of his clothes, we are traveling to court to see the Prince.”

    “Leave my things alone!” Heechul pleaded as he tried to stand, but the pain in his leg prevented him from doing so. “Please?!”

    His stepsisters ignored his pleas as they cackled loudly and left the room. Heechul lay on the floor, the pain in his hip and back throbbing. Leeteuk knelt down beside him and handed him a glass of water, a look of pity in his eyes.

    “You should take it easy today,” Leeteuk offered, “Most of the chores are done. All that needs tending is the meals. I can handle things on my own.”

     “Are you sure, Teukie?” Heechul asked, slowly sitting up and taking a sip of water. “I don’t want to anger Father more than I have.”

    “As long as the chores are done, he won’t have room to complain. You’re injured and I can see your heart is hurting as well. Take the day off. I’ll be fine alone.”

     By midafternoon, Heechul found himself sitting in a soft patch of grass near the lake as Heebum played happily by the water’s edge. Jessica and Tiffany had taken what little clothing he owned and set fire to it in the backyard, forcing him to wear another one of his mother’s dresses. It was a simple green spring dress with white flowers and matching green slippers. Heechul had tied his hair up with a white ribbon and he was holding a green feather quill.

    A cool breeze blew across the lake as he wrote a story of love inside a small brown leather book. He’d been inspired to write again by the Prince. Siwon’s passion for stories was something Heechul wished he could have seen more of. But, it was for the best that they stayed away from each other. He’d only cause trouble for the Prince.

    “Heemi!” Siwon’s familiar voice echoed through the air, causing Heechul’s posture to go rigid and Heebum to scamper into his lap.

    Turning away from the lake, Heechul held his breath as he spotted Prince Siwon riding towards him on his tall white horse.

   “I was just on my way to your house,” Siwon declared, dismounting his horse and running to Heechul’s side, where he dropped down in the grass next to him. “Why did you leave so suddenly? Why did you tell me to stay away?”

    “Please, don’t ask me this?” Heechul begged as Heebum hissed at Siwon. “I can’t tell you. You just have to leave me alone.”

     “Is it because of your stepfather?”

     “Partially, but…,”

     “I’ll speak with him,” Siwon offered, “He cannot disobey royal order.”

     “Siwon, I…,” Heechul stammered, “You don’t understand.”

     “I told you about the ball, right?” Siwon asked, reaching into his jacket pocket and pulling out a golden chain with large red ruby pendant. “Mother wants me to choose my wife there.”

    “I remember,”

    “Please, do me the honor of being my date for the evening?” Siwon requested, holding out the necklace as Heebum began batting at the dangling jewel with his paw. “I had this commissioned for my future bride. I want you to wear it to the ball.”

    “Siwon…,” Heechul whispered, wanting nothing more than to accept the Prince’s invitation. “I…,”

     “You don’t have to answer me now,” Siwon cut off, handing the necklace to Heechul. “I will send a carriage to pick you up. If you feel the same about me, you will be in it.”

    “What I feel for you doesn’t matter,” Heechul answered, his hands shaking as he took the ruby pendant in his palm. “I like you a lot, Sire. I dare to say that I am falling in love with you.”

    “Then, your answer is yes?” Siwon beamed, leaning in a placing an excited kiss on Heechul’s lips, his arms sliding around the elder’s waist and pressing against the bruises Soo-Man had left, causing Heechul to flinch in pain. “Are you unwell?”

     “I fell down this morning,” Heechul lied, “I will be fine, Sire.”

     “I’m so glad your answer is yes, My Lady.”

    “My answer…,” Heechul began, his words trailing off as a group of men came riding towards them.

    “Sire, the Queen is looking for you.” one of the men announced, “She wants to know where you’ve been all night.”

    “Tell her I was with my future wife,” Siwon supplied, climbing to his feet with childlike delight. “Kyuhyun, this is Lady Kim Heemi. I have asked her to attend the ball with me.”

    “Your mother will be quite pleased,” Kyuhyun stated, smiling down at Heechul. “She said if you did not choose a bride that she was going to pick one of Lord Lee’s daughters.”

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Feeling a bit better, but still sick :(

COMMENTS = LOVE!!!