Perhaps Love

Rella! (A SiChul Romance)

 

 

     The royal palace was filled to the brim with nobility as they gathered for the weekly court party. Prince Choi Siwon stood in the corner of the palace’s grand ballroom staring at the crowd with a look of distain. He hated these events with a passion. He could see the deceit and fakery wrapped around every person that filled the ballroom. They all had their own motives for being here, most of which involved quests for power and money.

    “See anyone you like?” A familiar voice asked as Siwon’s best friend, Lord Kyuhyun, approached him holding two goblets of red wine. “There are many fine ladies here to choose from.”

    “I’ve seen them all before,” Siwon dismissed, taking a goblet from his friend. “It’s always the same faces.”

    “The King has offered to throw a ball in your honor this weekend,” Kyuhyun reminded, “He says that you may choose your bride then.”

     “So soon?” Siwon panicked, “I haven’t had time to properly court anyone yet. Why is he pressing so hard all of a sudden?”

    “You know the laws of succession, right?” Kyuhyun began, leaning in close and whispering the rest. “An heir cannot take the thrown unless he is properly wed.”

     “I know the law, Kyuhyun.” Siwon grumbled, “I do not wish to marry, just to satisfy some law. I want to love the woman I am to spend my life with.”

    “You will grow to love anyone you wed,” Kyuhyun dismissed, “You don’t have to be in love at the wedding. Your parents weren’t. Neither were mine.”

    “My mother and father fight constantly,” Siwon reminded, his eyes searching the crowd in hopes of seeing Lady Heemi within it. “I do not wish that to be my fate.”

    “Do you have any ladies in mind?”

    “I have one possibility,” Siwon informed, a smile spreading across his face in remembrance of the kiss he’d shared with Lady Heemi the previous morning. “I’m meeting her today. If things continue to go well, I may ask her to be my to the ball.”

    “Who?” Kyuhyun pressed, an excited smile spreading across my face. “What noble woman has caught your critical eye? Do I know her? Does she have a sister?”

    “Actually…,” Siwon began, his heart skipping a beat as he spotted his mother approaching him on the arm of Lord Lee Soo-Man, his daughters trailing behind him. “She has two…,”

    “Son,” the Queen greeted, seeming overly cheerful. “We have a diner invitation.”

    “From whom?” Siwon asked, not liking the pleased look on Lord Lee’s face. “I have plans.”

     “Cancel them,” the queen dismissed, “Lord Lee and his lovely daughters have invited us to their home for dinner. It’s been so long since I’ve been to the countryside. I think it will do us both well to accept his offer.”

    “How will it do me well, Mother?” Siwon inquired, cringing as he spotted Soo-Man’s daughters staring at him with flirtatious smiles.

    “You haven’t had dinner with me in ages, also it will give you time to get to know Lord Lee’s lovely daughters.”

     “And, why should I want to get to know them?” Siwon asked in a dismissive manner.

    “Don’t be rude,” the Queen scolded, “Your Father and I have already decided that you will be going, so it’s final. I suggest you make the most of it and be pleasant.”

    “Mother, I really do have other plans.”

    “Unless, they involve a woman, cancel them.”

    “Actually, they do.” Kyuhyun provided, “He’s meeting a Lady for a date. She may be the one, your Majesty.”

     “Do I know her?” the Queen asked in excitement. “Which noble house is she from?”

     “You don’t know her,” Siwon replied, unable to answer his mother’s questions in front of Heemi’s stepfather. “She’s from a country province..,”

    “A farmer’s daughter,” Soo-Man laughed, “You can’t be serious. The next Queen should be one of good breeding.”

    “The law also states that you must marry nobility,” the Queen reminded, “Cancel your plans. The carriage leaves in an hour.”

    “Heemi is a Lady,” Siwon mumbled to himself as his mother left on the arm of Soo-Man and his daughters.

    “You didn’t tell me you were dating a famer,” Kyuhyun teased, “A peasant can’t be queen, Siwon.”

   “She’s not a peasant,” Siwon defended, “She’s nobility, but I can’t reveal her name in front of Lord Lee. I do not wish to cause her trouble. She’s visiting his home for the summer, but his interests are in his daughters being queen, not her.”

    “Then, go to dinner. You will see her tonight anyway.” Kyuhyun suggested, “Lord Lee cannot do anything about who you choose to court. Ignore his ugly daughters and only speak to her. It’s worth a try. Your mother won’t mind, as long as she’s of noble birth.”

    “I guess you’re right,” Siwon agreed, “I’ll go.”

    Meanwhile, in the kitchen of Lee manor, Kim Heechul was all smiles as he sat peeling potatoes for dinner. He hummed a cheery tune as he sat perched on a tall wooden stool, his feet kicking in time with the song he was humming, and a pile of unpeeled potatoes on the counter next to him. Leeteuk stared at his friend curiously from his position at the stove. In the many years he’d known Heechul, he’d never seen him this happy.

    “Alright, you’re acting giddy.” Leeteuk observed, “Peeling potatoes can’t be that fun.”

    “It’s a good day, isn’t it Teukie?” Heechul said with a long sigh, “The sunrise this morning was beautiful.”

    “Why were you up to see the sun rise?”

    “I couldn’t sleep,” Heechul informed with a shrug, “My heart was beating too quickly.”

    “If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you were in love.” Leeteuk chuckled, stirring the soup he was preparing and frowning when Heechul only smiled wider. “You are in love, aren’t you?”

    “I’m not…,” Heechul defended, the smile on his face unwavering. “I can’t be…,”

    “Who’s the girl?” Leeteuk pressed, “And, where did you meet her? You never leave the estate, except for groceries.”

     “I’m the girl,” Heechul giggled, spinning on his stool and picking up another potato to peal. “And, I hit him with dirt two days ago when bailing straw.”

    “Please, repeat that because I thought I heard you say you’re a girl and the other person is a man.”

    “It’s really comical, Teukie.” Heechul began, shrugging his shoulders. “I don’t think it’s anything to worry about. I’m not going to see him again, anyway.”

     “Kim Heechul, explain yourself!” Leeteuk shouted, slamming his spoon down on the counter. “What is going on?”

    “Well,” Heechul began, taking a deep breath. “Remember when I bailed you out? I was wearing my mother’s clothes and the Prince spoke to me.”

     “I remember.”

    “Well, to secure your release, the Prince asked me to have breakfast with him yesterday…,”

     “You didn’t,” Leeteuk blanched, “Kim Heechul, you did not have breakfast with the Crown Prince while wearing your mother’s clothes!”

    “We had a picnic in my favorite spot. I spilled milk on his pants and we swam in the lake.” Heechul gushed, “Then…,”

    “Then what?”

    “He kissed me,” Heechul practically gushed, “I’ve never been kissed before, Teukie. I felt like my heart was going to explode.”

     “What do you mean you’ve never been kissed? Lord Soo-Man kisses you all the time.” Leeteuk pointed out, “You’ve done more with a man that most married women have in their lifetimes.”

    “I do not count what that ert does to me as experience,” Heechul grumbled, suddenly feeling uncomfortable. “I’ve never courted any women, Teukie. I’ve never shared any real kisses, or made love. I’ve only been an object to be used. I do not feel anything when that bastard touches me. I close my eyes and pretend I’m dead.”

     “I’m sorry I brought it up,” Leeteuk apologized, moving over to Heechul and pulling him into a tight embrace.

    “It’s alright, Teukie.”

    “You said you’re not going to see the Prince again,” Leeteuk began, “I think that’s best. You’re not a girl, Heechul. If he finds out you’re deceiving him, he could have you hanged.”

    “I know,” Heechul confirmed, “I wish I were a woman. If the Prince fell in love with me, I could leave this awful place. He could take me away from here.”

    “Is that the only reason you like him, because he can help you escape?”

   “No,” Heechul denied as Leeteuk moved back to his cooking. “He’s like a lost child inside. I can see this sweet innocence in him that is charming. Also, he’s not like the other nobles I’ve met. When he looks at me, he’s really seeing me, and not looking through me.”

    “He’s seeing a noble woman, not you.” Leeteuk countered, “If he knew you were a man under that dress, would he still want to look?”

     “It doesn’t matter anyway,” Heechul dismissed, “I’ve already decided to not meet him again. Though, he said he was coming to see me today. I’m supposed to meet him by the hay field.”

    “I can meet him for you, if you wish?” Leeteuk offered, “I’ll tell him Lady Heemi had to go back to the country and tend to her ailing grandmother.”

    “I think I should be the one to tell him to go,” Heechul stated, a pout forming on his lips. “It’s only fair.”

    “You just want to get another kiss before you disappear,” Leeteuk teased as the kitchen door opened and Lord Soo-Man stepped inside.

    “Would you two stop gossiping and finish dinner. I need you to make two more portions and to set up the fine china and silver.” Soo-Man ordered, “I’ve invited some guests to dinner and need everything to be perfect. Both of you should be washed and dressed in your best clothing. I need you to serve the food tonight.”

     “I can’t!” Heechul panicked, knowing if he had to stay and serve dinner that he wouldn’t be able to meet Siwon.

     “Why not? Do you have other plans?” Soo-Man barked, “Your duty is to this house. Whatever you had planned for tonight is canceled, understood?”

    “Yes, Father.” Heechul confirmed, hanging his head.

    “Also, I am not your father.” Soo-Man scolded, “I expect you to be silent tonight. If you speak one word in front of our guests, the punishment will be most severe.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Say three, still sick..., I'm trapped in bed. :(

COMMENTS = LOVE!