Fiance

Rella! (A SiChul Romance)

 

The palace ballroom was filled with members of the royal court and noble guests. They were all gathered for the Queen’s announcement regarding the Prince’s choice for a bride. Most of the land’s noble women had crowded into the room in hopes that the Prince had chosen them to be his princess. The room was filled with tension as the Queen appeared at the top of the stone stairs in the center of the room.

    “This is it,” Lord Lee Soo-Man whispered to his daughters as they stood gathered at the base of the steps. “The Queen told me that is was likely one of my daughters would be chosen.”

    “Did she say which?” Jessica asked with hope in her voice.

    “I think she was leaning more towards your sister.”

    “Father, why?” Jessica whined as Tiffany bounced excitedly next to her. “What does she have that I don’t?”

     “Why does it matter who is chosen? We’ll be moving to the palace regardless…,” Soo-Man pointed out as Siwon appeared next to his mother at the top of the steps. “Quiet, they’re going to speak.”

     “Noble Ladies and Gentleman, I’m sure you’re all excited for the announcement of the newest addition to the royal family.” The Queen began, her voice silencing the crowd. “Will Lord Soo-Man and his daughters, Lady Jessica and Lady Tiffany, please step forwards?”

   Tiffany and Jessica stumbled over their long gowns as they rushed the stairs. Lord Soo-Man followed his daughters with an embarrassed grin. He reached out and placed his hand on their shoulders when they were halfway up the steps and guided them into a polite bow.

     “Lord Lee Soo-Man,” Prince Siwon addressed in a booming tone. “You and your daughters are a disgrace to the kingdom!”

     “Excuse me, Sire?” Soo-Man stammered, pulling his daughters back into a standing position.

     “Is it true that you’re not really a Lord?” The Queen asked, “You inherited your title and land from your late wife, Lady Kim Heemi. Am I correct?”

    “Well, I…,”

     “You were born into the merchant class, therefore your daughters are not members of nobility,” Siwon added, “Also, your estate belongs to Lady Heemi’s son, Kim Heechul.”

     “You see, Sire…,” Soo-Man tried to speak.

     “I have been informed of the horrible way you’ve been treating your stepson all these years, Lord Lee. You’ve abused a citizen of the noble class like he were an animal.” the Queen shouted, “You and your daughters treat human life as it were nothing. A person’s title isn’t an indication of their worth. Servants should be treated with respect.”

     “You’re Majesty, I…,” Soo-Man tried again, but was cut off.

    “Silence!” Siwon shouted, “From this day forth, you and your daughters are stripped of your titles and your estate will be given back to its rightful owner. Also, you, Soo-Man, will be taken to prison for your remaining days in order to pay for the abuses you enacted on your stepson.”

    “Prison!” Soo-Man raged, “I have done nothing but raise him in a humble manner.”

    “If it was my decision, you’d be hanged!” Siwon shouted, “But, your sentence has been lightened only by the request of my new fiancé.”

     “Fiancé?” Tiffany squeaked, “Who is she? Who took my place as princess?!”

     All eyes in the room moved behind Siwon as a third person appeared on the stairs. He stepped from the shadows dressed in a long red jacket with golden trim. His dark hair was braided elegantly down his back and there was a small golden crown nestled in his hair. Hanging around his neck was a long gold chain with a red ruby pendant, and a ring with a set of sparkling jewels adorned his ring finger.

    “May I introduce my fiancé, Lord Kim Heechul.” Siwon announced to the crowed, receiving several loud gasps in return. “I believe you’ve met.”

     “Father,” Heechul greeted Soo-Man with a proud smirk on his face.

     “You can’t marry him. He’s a man, and piece of filth !” Soo-Man raged, “This is an outrage!”

     “I’d watch what you say, Father.” Heechul warned, “If I say it, they won’t hesitate to have you hanged instead.”

    “After everything I did to you, I would think you’d want to see me dead.”

    “I do want that, very much…,” Heechul began in a low tone, “But, you’re the only father I ever knew. Despite your cruelty, there’s a part of me that respects that. I will not have your blood on my hands.”

    “I do love you,” Soo-Man provided, “You were a precious child, and a beautiful young man.”

    “I loved you too, Father.” Heechul whispered, ashamed that he meant what he said.

     Siwon reached out and took Heechul’s hand as tears filled the elder male’s eyes. Guards filled the room and took Soo-Man and his daughters into their grasp. Heechul watched with a blank expression as he family was escorted from the room and the other members of the nobility cheered.

   “Are you alright?” Siwon whispered into Heechul ear. “You’re shaking.”

    “Everyone’s looking at me,” Heechul answered, “I feel like I’m .”

    “They’re just jealous,” The Queen whispered in Heechul’s other ear. “Everyone wanted their daughter in your position, but my son chosen someone he loves instead. I’m proud of both of you. It’s going to be so much fun planning your wedding.”

    “Wedding,” Heechul repeated to himself, something about the word causing his heart to quicken.

    The wedding of Prince Choi Siwon and Lord Kim Heechul was the biggest event the kingdom had seen since the current King and Queen had wed over thirty years prior. Siwon’s mother planned every detail with a fine precision and sense of refinement. It was a grand spectacle full of bright flowers and flowing silver fabrics. Every member of nobility and their servants were invited to the royal gardens to witness the union of Prince Siwon and his true love, Lord Kim Heechul.

    “I think I’m going to throw-up,” Heechul groaned as he paced back and forth just outside the royal gardens. “Teukie, am I doing the right thing?”

    “You’re marrying the man you love,” Leeteuk pointed out, handing Heechul a bouquet of white roses. “Of course you’re doing the right thing.”

     “Then, why does this feel so surreal to me?”

    Leeteuk smiled softly as he observed his best friend pacing in front of him. Heechul was wearing a long white coat that billowed out in the back and dragged the ground as he moved. It had white lace appliques and silver beading that shimmered in the afternoon sun. His long dark hair was pinned atop his head, wrapped loosely around a silver diamond encrusted crown. He had a soft shimmering powder dusted on his milky skin and his eyes were lined in pink shadow.

     “You look beautiful, Chul.” Leeteuk complimented his friend, “I’ve never seen you look this happy.”

    “I feel like I’m going to vomit,” Heechul groaned, “I’m not meant to be royalty, Teukie.”

     “If there’s anyone in this kingdom that should be royalty, it’s you.” Leeteuk argued as a servant appeared around a hedge and informed him he was needed. “I have to go, Chul. When the music begins, step through the gate in front of you. It’s almost time for the wedding to begin.”

    Heechul gipped his bouquet tightly and held his breath as he waited for the music to begin. He still couldn’t believe that his moment was real. Marrying a prince was something he’d never ever dared to dream of. He’d been raised as a servant, and a part of him still believe he was one. Servants didn’t marry royalty.

     “I can’t believe this is real,” Heechul whispered to himself, “I can’t believe he actually loves me.”

    “He’s a fool,” a voice spoke, causing Heechul to spin on his heels and drop his flowers.

    Lord HanGeng was standing a few feet away with a smirk on his face.

    “I didn’t get a wedding invitation, so I decided to crash the party.” Lord Geng informed with a chuckle. “I still can’t believe the King is allowing his son to marry a . It’s disgraceful…,”

    “You’re not welcome here,” Heechul growled, “Leave!”

    “Did you know there are a collection of the nobility that believes this marriage shouldn’t happen?” Lord Geng informed, “They think the Prince should marry a woman. How are you going to do your duty as the future partner to the King and produce an heir to the thrown?”

    “I…,”

    “The answer is, you can’t.” Lord Geng cut off, “Some lucky royal mistress will sleep with the prince while you rot away alone. He can’t stay infatuated with you forever. The novelty will wear off soon.”

     Tears filled Heechul’s eyes as music began to play inside the garden behind him. It was time to marry the man he loved, yet something inside of him was holding him back.

    “Do you see the light now? You’re nothing compared to him, Kim Heechul.” Lord Geng stated in a dark tone. “You’re worth less than the dirt under the Prince’s boot. Don’t soil his life. He’ll be better off without you.”

    A part of Heechul wanted to believe Lord Geng’s cruel words. He knew his marriage wasn’t going to be perfect. He knew one day Siwon would have to produce an heir to the thrown, but that say wasn’t today. Even if he would only be happy for a single day, Heechul wanted to marry Siwon. One day of happiness was all he needed to counter a lifetime of misery.

    “You’re wrong,” Heechul growled, picking up his bouquet as Lord Geng stepped closer and jerked him into his arms. “Let go of me!”

    “If you’re not going to leave on your own, then I’ll have to take you.” Lord Geng informed, “You’re coming back to my estate, !”

    Letting out an angry shriek, Heechul raising his bouquet of white roses and hit HanGeng across the face with them, the thorn causing bloody scratches along the way. Lord Geng cried out in pain as Heechul stomped his foot, before kneeing him in the groin and sending him to the ground.

    “I’m tired of being called a !” Heechul shouted, kicking Lord Geng in the stomach for good measure. “I’m not worthless! I’m worth more than you’ll ever be!”

    “Heechul,” Siwon’s voice whispered from the gate, causing Heechul to turn around. “What’s going on? You were supposed to enter when the music started.”

    “I was just taking out the trash,” Heechul quipped, tossing his destroyed bouquet onto the ground and striding forwards with confidence. “Let’s get married.”

     “I’ll have the guards clean that up,” Siwon chuckled, taking Heechul’s hand. “I don’t want anything to ruin our day.”

     “Nothing can ruin it, as long as you’re by my side.” Heechul whispered, placing a soft kiss on Siwon’s lips.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

COMMENTS = LOVE!!!