Ball

Rella! (A SiChul Romance)

This is a double update for some of you. Make sure you've read chp.11 first.

 

 

     A rainbow of color swirled before Prince Choi Siwon’s eyes as he sat upon his thrown overlooking the ball. Dozens of nobility danced and mingled through the winding paths of the garden. Music played from a band set up just out of sight of the guests, and there were tables filled with food and drink. The Queen sat beside her son, a look of concern on her face as she watched him pout.

    “I’m sorry things didn’t work out with Lady Heemi,” the Queen whispered to her child. “I had never seen you smile so much when you spoke of her.”

    “I love her, Mother.” Siwon informed with a sad sigh. “I was going to ask her to marry me tonight.”

    “Did she ever give you the impression she may already have a husband? If she led you on, I could have her arrested for fraud.”

    “She told me many times that she had no intentions of marriage. I guess it was because she already had a husband.” Siwon theorized, “Though she also told me she’d never been courted by anyone. That seems odd since she has a child.”

    “If the marriage was arranged, then she may be telling the truth.”

    “Who would arrange a marriage with a farmer? It doesn’t make sense.” Siwon huffed, his eyes catching sight of Lady Tiffany in the crowd and a shiver running up his spine. “Do we have to announce my engagement tonight, Mother? What if Lord Lee is lying about all this?”

    “I have already promised your father that you will be engaged by the end of the evening. He hasn’t been feeling well of late and fears he could pass with you ineligible of being king. You must wed soon, Son.”

    “I know, but…,” Siwon began, his words trailing off as he noticed movement near the edge of the garden. “Wait…,”

    Lord Kyuhyun stepped through the garden gate with a tall woman dressed in gold on his arm. She had long dark hair braided down her back and a chain with a red ruby hanging around her neck. Her dress was made of a thin white fabric embroidered with golden thread that sparkled in the lantern lights. Siwon stood from his seat, his eyes focused on the woman’s beautiful face.

     “She’s here,” Siwon told his mother. “Lady Heemi came. She’s with Kyuhyun.”

    “Go and speak with her then,” the Queen urged, “Find out the truth so I know what announcement to make.”

     Siwon descended the steps and pushed through the crowd. Lady Tiffany tried to get his attention, but he ignored her. His eyes were focused on Lady Heemi. He needed to know the truth of her marriage status. If Lord Lee was lying to manipulate one of his daughters into the palace, then there may be hope left.

    “You came,” Siwon gasped as he stopped in front of Lady Heemi and took her hand in his. “I was told you were already married, My Lady. Is it true?”

    “No,” Heechul answered, “I am not married, Sire. I did not lie about that.”

    “Then, Lord Lee was lying.” Siwon mussed, tugging Heechul away from Kyuhyun. “I want you to meet my mother.”

   “Sire, wait!” Kyuhyun called out, but Siwon was too preoccupied to hear him.

     “Sire, I need to speak with you.” Heechul begged as he allowed Siwon to pull him through crowd. “There’s something I have to tell you before we go any further.”

    Siwon didn’t hear his pleas, for the music had suddenly surged into a grand song and the party guests were all looking at them. Heechul could hear whispering theories of who he was. They all feared the Prince was about the reveal his choice for a bride. Some were happy about the prospect of a new princess, and others were bitter that their own daughter hadn’t been chosen. Most were simply confused by the mystery woman they had never once seen at court.

     “May I have this dance, My Lady?” Siwon asked, swirling Heechul into the center of the dancefloor. “Everyone’s looking, let’s make then jealous.”

    “Sire,” Heechul began again, but was cut off as Siwon’s arm wrapped around his waist and he was guided into a slow twirling dance.

    Heechul followed along with the Prince’s steps. He’d never danced before, and found himself to be terrible at it. He stumbled over Siwon’s feet, causing laughter from the crowd and more disapproving whispers.

    “Don’t be nervous,” Siwon tried to comfort him as he pulled Heechul closer and pressed their foreheads together. “Don’t look at them. Just look at me.”

    “Sire, I…,” Heechul attempted to speak once more, but again he was silenced.

    Siwon placed his hand alongside his face as the music slowed and softened. Heechul looked into the Prince’s eyes and saw deep affection within them. There was love in the Prince’s gaze, and that both comforted and frightened Heechul, for he did not know if that love as for him, or Heemi. Hand slipping to the back of Heechul’s neck, Siwon pulled him into a slow kiss, an action that received gasps from the crowd. Heechul shut his eyes and allowed the Prince to kiss him, afraid that this may be the last kiss they ever shared.

    “You are not about to declare this as your bride, are you, Sire?” Lord Lee Soo-Man’s voice asked, causing Heechul to jerk away from his Prince and stare in horror as he stepfamily appeared around them, “She is not who she seems.”

    “Out of my way. I’ve had enough of your lies.” Siwon dismissed, taking Heechul hand. “I will not believe a word that you say.”

    “She’s a harlot that warms my bed most nights. Has she told you that?”

    “You’re lying,” Siwon spat, pushing passed Lord Lee.

    “She’s also a man, Sire.” Lady Jessica’s voice added as she and her sister surrounded Heechul. “This is our stepbrother. He’s a servant in our home, aren’t you Heechul?”

    “Heechul?” Siwon repeated, letting go of Heechul’s hand and taking a step back. “That’s the name of the man who threw dirt at me. The one whose eyes reminded me of…,”

    “Please, Sire,” Heechul begged, “I need to speak with you in private.”

    “Show him who you really are, Dear Brother.” Tiffany laughed as Jessica took hold of the zipper on the back of Heechul’s dress. “Show him that you’re a lying .”

     “Stop!” Heechul shrieked as he felt his dress being ped. “Not here, please?”

    Before Heechul could react, Tiffany and Jessica were jerking his clothes from his body. Lord Lee stepped forwards and held his arms still as his dress fell to the ground. Jessica pulled the laces on his corset as Tiffany removed it from his body, leaving him standing bare chested in his undergarments.

     “May I present Kim Heechul,” Lord Lee announced proudly, “A slave I’m ashamed to call my stepson.”

     “A slave!” the Queen’s voice shouted over the crowd. “What is going on?”

     “You’re a slave?” Siwon stammered as he observed Lady Heemi’s very masculine chest. “And, a man…,”

    “I’m sorry,” Heechul sobbed, “I tried to tell you. I told you to stay away.”

    “Then, why are you here? If it was all lies, why did you come back?”

    “Because, I fell in love, Sire.” Heechul wept, “I love you, Siwon.”

    “Do not address me by name, Servant.” Siwon ground out, taking a step back. “I am royalty.”

    “You said that your worth wasn’t defined by a title,” Heechul reminded, “Just because I’m a servant, am I worth less to you than before?”

    “You’re worth less to me now because you’re a liar,” Siwon answered, “Your worth is defined by your actions and your heart. I see now that I was deceived by both. I don’t know who I fell in love with, but it wasn’t you.”

    Tears flooded Heechul’s vision as he gathered his clothing from the ground and retreated through the crowd. The voices around him were a mixture of shrieks and shocking words as he shoved his way passed the nobility gathered around him. He didn’t belong here. Despite the blood flowing in his veins, these weren’t his people. They were monsters masquerading as people.

    “Heechul, wait!” Lord Kyuhyun called out to him as he broke through the crowd and descended as set of steep stone steps leading away from the ball. “Don’t run! Give him time!”

    Heechul ignored Kyuhyun’s words, for he would only stop for the Prince, and he wasn’t chasing after him. Tripping over the last step, Heechul lost one of his golden slippers. He didn’t dare stop to pick it up, for he could hear Lord Kyuhyun chasing after him. He couldn’t stop now. He needed to be away from here, away from everything that reminded him of the Prince.

    “I’m sorry,” Heechul whispered to himself as he turned the corner to find a row of horses tied and waiting to be ridden home by their masters.

     Choosing the first horse he came to, Heechul unhitched its reins and pulled himself up. The large black pony made protesting noises and bucked as Heechul flicked its reins and guided it into a gallop. It was clear that the horse didn’t like him, but he had no time to choose a different ride. The lights and sounds of the ball faded into the night as Heechul sped across the land, cold air hitting his bare chest and his braid flowing in the wind.

    Tears stung his eyes and his heart was filled with pain as he rode into the darkness. Siwon’s rejection shattered everything inside him and filled him with an intense pain. Heechul shut his eyes and sobbed loudly as a clap of thunder sounded in the sky and caused his horse to run faster. He didn’t care where he was going, for he had nowhere to go. If he returned home, there was no telling what Soo-Man may do to him.

    Rain began to pour from the sky as Heechul opened his eyes to discover his horse had taken him to the shore of the lake where he’d shared his first kiss with Siwon. Heechul looked out at the dark water and let his tears flow. All he could think to do, was cry. There was nothing left to be done, for he had no home anymore. He’d lost everything.

    A sudden clap of thunder stirred his horse. Heechul tried to sooth the tall animal, but it was too afraid to still. Lightening flashed across the sky and Heechul’s horse reared back in a violent motion. Heechul was thrown from his horse and onto the rocky lake shore, his head hitting the ground with a burst of pain and making his vision go blurry.

    Cool lake water seeped into Heechul’s clothes as his horse ran from him and the rain got heavier. He lay on the shore, soaked and shaking, unable to move. His whole body ached and his heart was full of pain. Heechul had lost the will to try anymore. He wished when he shut his eyes, he’d never wake. Letting his eyes slip shut, Heechul felt the lake water lapping against his skin as he heard a voice calling his name through the storm.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

I've spent all morning making phone calls and trying not to have a full blown panic attack. I feel terrible...., I could use some cheering up...,

COMMENTS = LOVE!!