Apology

Rella! (A SiChul Romance)

 

     Prince Choi Siwon sat in the back of his royal carriage with a smile on his face. He’d just met the most curious woman with the most beautiful eyes he’d ever seen. Lady Heemi was bold in her words, and brave in her actions. She defied everything he’d ever seen in other noble women, and this excited him beyond rationale. He was under great pressure from his father to choose a bride soon, and Lady Heemi may be a contender for the position.

    “She’s gorgeous,” Siwon mumbled to himself as his carriage came to a stop. “Too bad her stepfather is so horrible.”

    Stepping from the carriage, Siwon cringed as he observed Lord Lee Soo-Man standing in the doorway of his home. Siwon had met Lord Lee on several occasions at court, and despised every meeting. Soo-Man was greedy, conniving, and a liar. He spouted flattering words that Siwon was too smart to fall for. He could see right through him.

    “Sire,” Soo-Man greeted with a low bow. “What brings you to my humble estate this evening?”

    “I’ve come to make amends for wrongfully arresting one of your servants,” Siwon announced, flinching when Lord Lee’s two daughters stumbled out the door with clumsy steps.

     “Sire,” Lady Jessica squeaked, her auburn dress too tight and her pale s pushed almost out the top. Siwon could tell she was trying to get his attention, and he could care less.

    “It’s alright. You can keep him. We have a replacement.” Tiffany laughed, bowing low and hiking up her purple gown to show off a glimpse of ankle. “He’s just a meaningless servant.”

    “I see you have little regard for the lives of those below your station,” Siwon observed, Heemi’s words about worth sticking in his mind. “Do not dismiss a servant’s life so easily, Ladies.”

     “Would you like to come in, Sire?” Soo-Man asked, “I can have my other servant fix you some tea.”

     “I was assaulted by a servant binding hay this morning,” Siwon detailed, “I do not think he knew who I was, for he berated me like I were a commoner.”

     “Heechul,” Jessica whispered to her father, “It must have been him.”

     “I will see that he is properly punished, Sire.” Soo-man assured, “If you would spare him prison time, that is. He’s special to our household and..,”

    “I think Heechul should be put to death for assaulting the Prince,” Tiffany cut off. “It would rid us of a problem…,”

    “My Lady, I do not think it is proper to cut off your father when he’s speaking.” Siwon scolded, “I did not come here to arrest your other servant. Punish him as you see fit. I only wished to apologize for my actions.”

    “Apology accepted, Sire.” Soo-Man bowed, “Are you sure you do not wish to come in for tea?”

    “No, I must be going.” Siwon denied, “Good day, Lord Lee.”

    As soon as the Prince was inside his carriage, Soo-Man turned away from the door and stomped inside in search of his stepson. Jessica and Tiffany trailed behind their father, eager to see the punishment he was going to give their brother. Climbing the stairs they burst into the attic to find Heechul sitting on the floor wrapped in his horse blanket with a book in his hands. He looked up as they entered, his face slightly flushed, as if he’d been running.

    “You assaulted the Crown Prince!” Soo-Man shouted, “Because of you, Leeteuk was arrested! Because of you, we were caught off-guard by the Prince’s visit. We must use every opportunity to impress him, and this one was taken from us because of your actions!”

    “I’m sorry,” Heechul apologized, dropping his book and scooting backwards against the wall. “I didn’t know it was him. I was angry because he scattered the straw. I thought he was a Lord.”

    “Assaulting someone of a higher station is still wrong!”

    “I’m noble too,” Heechul mumbled to himself, receiving a glare from his stepfather.

    “Girls, leave us.” Lord Lee commanded, “Heechul needs to learn his place.”

     Heechul closed his eyes, his body going tense as he heard his sister’s leave the room. The sound of Soo-man’s approaching footsteps caused his heart to skip a beat in fear. He knew what his father meant to do to him. His punishment was always the same. If he didn’t struggle, maybe he could bare the pain?

     The next morning, Heechul found himself hiding in the bushes near the field he’d tended the prior day. He was dressed in one of his mother’s dresses. It was baby blue with short puffed sleeves and a low neckline. His hair was braided down his back with a blue ribbon wrapped around his head, and his face was dusted in light make-up. A pair of baby blue slippers adorned his feet, and he was holding a heavy basket full of food he’d spent all morning preparing.

   Despite the pain radiating up his spine from Soo-Man’s punishment, Heechul had fought through it to prepare breakfast for the Prince. Siwon had surprised him last night with his willingness to apologize and make amends for his mistakes. Granted, Heechul still found the royal to be arrogant and entitled, he was willing to give him a chance to prove him wrong. His conversation with Siwon in the carriage had been the first time in years that he’d been able to speak his mind, and that excited him.

     “My Lady?” a voice called down the lane, along with the sound of an approaching horse.

    Heechul took a deep breath and stepped out of the bush he’d been hiding in. He waved to the Prince, who was riding towards him on a tall white horse. Heechul noted that the Prince was without an this morning and his clothing was plain for a man of his station. Siwon stopped his horse a few feet away and dismounted. The smile on his face warmed Heechul’s heart, for it had been many years since any had greeted him with such a smile.

    “It’s a beautiful morning for a picnic, Sire.” Heechul greeted with a bow. “I hope you’re hungry. I spent all morning cooking.”

    “You cooked the meal, My Lady?” Siwon asked, his expression again curious. “I’ve never known a noble woman to do her own cooking. Most people have servants for that.”

    “We are a bit short staffed at the moment, Sire.” Heechul detailed, “Also, I wanted to be the one to prepare the meal, for it is my debt to be paid.”

    “Is that how you see this, as a debt?”

    “I agreed to meet with you this morning only because you refused to release my servant unless I did so,” Heechul reminded, “This isn’t an appointment of free will, Sire.”

     “I will try and keep that in mind, My Lady.” Siwon replied, his cheery expression falling into a more serious look. “Where would you like to dine this morning? Do we picnic in the hay field?”

    “No,” Heechul chuckled, “A field is much too dirty for having breakfast. I have a spot picked out for us, but it’s a bit far from here. I thought you were going to bring your carriage.”

    “I wanted to be free of my attendants today, My Lady. So, I snuck out of the palace and stole a horse from the stables.” Siwon admitted, sounding pleased. “It’s tiring being tended to all day. Some days it’s nice to do things alone.”

    “If you wish to be alone, I can leave the basket?” Heechul teased, placing his heavy picnic basket on the road and turning as if to leave.

    “You’re playing with me, My Lady.” Siwon laughed, stepping forwards and taking Heechul’s wrist before he could leave. “My horse carries two. Show me where you planned our picnic.”

    Picking up the basket, Heechul smiled at the Prince as the handsome royal guided him towards the horse. Siwon mounted the horse first and took the basket from Heechul. He then offered his hand to help him up, but Heechul ignored it. Instead, he placed his foot in the stirrup and pulled himself up onto the tall stead. Siwon again gave him a curious look as he struggled to decide whether to ride side saddle or not.

    “You’re very strong, My Lady.” Siwon observed, quirking his eyebrow as Heechul settle for sitting sidesaddle behind him.

    “I’ve been told that,” Heechul answered with a smirk, “Hand me the basket, Sire.”

    “Hold on tightly, My Lady. I do not wish for you to fall.”

    “I’ll be fine, Sire.” Heechul assured, placing the picnic basket in his lap and holding onto the back of Siwon’s shirt with his left hand. “Follow the road until you reach the stream, and then take the footpath through the woods. I’ll tell you the rest from there.”

     “That seems like a long way to travel for breakfast, My Lady.”

    “It’s the best picnic spot for miles,” Heechul explained, hiding his real intention to get as far away from his stepfather and sisters as possible. “Nothing short of the best should be presented to the Prince, don’t you think?”

    “But, according to you, a prince isn’t worth any more than a servant. Why should I require special treatment?”

    “Because a servant has no power to exploit for his own purposes,” Heechul countered, “I may not believe royalty is worth more than any other man, but I do recognize their influence over the lives of those they govern.”

    “I would never use my power to manipulate you, My Lady.” Siwon promised as they reached the stream and he guided his horse into woods.

    “You already have, Sire.” Heechul argued, “If you had not, I wouldn’t be riding with you this morning. Remember, this is a payment for a debt, nothing more.”

    “Yes, My Lady.”

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's a new update, even though I'm in bed sick today :(

COMMENTS = LOVE!!