Chapter I

What is love?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-MINA-

The last day of summer wasn't as promising as expected. Midnight struck and the ornate grandfather clock that stood at the corner of the living room chimed for the hour, spitting out the wooden cuckoo bird from the parted windows of its contraption. The 5 of us looked up to the sound, dazedly blinking in realization that today marks the first day of classes.

"We should probably go to bed." Suggested Sana who was splayed out over the couch, resting her head over my thigh, her bleached hair shining cornflower blonde even under the lamplight.

Tzuyu yawned loudly from where she sat on the floor by the foot of the couch, stretching her limbs out like a cat. "We should probably skip school tomorrow at this rate."

Dahyun who sat beside Tzuyu gaped at her, appalled at her words that sounded so foreign coming from our maknae who was every bit an achiever as we all were, but she tended to be the one who was most straitlaced and studious.

Chaeyoung who squatted at the opposite end of the trio, flanking Dahyun in the middle blew out a dejected sigh as she returned her gaze to the t.v. lifting the remote up at her side to switch it up for something more light-hearted instead of the gory slasher film airing which did nothing to help with our mood.

As she flipped through one station after another, a question arose out of her. "Did they have to leave so soon?"

Sharing a worried look with Sana, I mouthed a 'go help her' to do something about the situation, she always fared well in handling the other girls, taking after Jihyo-unnie's position of being a doting big sister.

Sana gave me an affirmative nod before turning over her side, to reach a hand out over Chaeyoung's shoulder. "You know how they are Chaeyoungie. They aren't the sort to be lenient. If they were, I'm not sure they were the unnies we looked up to."

Chaeyoung dipped her head in acknowledgment, smiling wanly at Sana's words. But apparently she wasn't the only one who needed assurance, because just after rambling her woes Dahyun decided to take over.

"I don't know,'' She started uncertainly, but soon poured strength in her words. "I just feel kinda sad they looked so eager to leave. Not that I'm not happy to see them progress at the next phase of their lives.I just-- I wish they stayed longer to see us off onto the next step of ours. Things seem to be moving way too fast."

Tzuyu who had actually been listening in on the conversation though her eyes were trained on the t.v screen decided to join in as well. "Dahyun has a point. It's our final year. It's hard to be hopeful about it when we're only 2 semesters shy from getting separated from each other just like how our unnies did."

Her words had struck us the most causing all of us to duck down in guilt. Bearing the same shame and fear of thinking like so. Though we tried to mask it with optimism of the newfound responsibility that came with being a senior, that didn't exactly mean we knew what we were doing. We're still rather at the crossroads here, it felt as if only yesterday I was just a transferee moving in from Japan along side Sana, knowing little to none of Hanggul.

If it wasn't for Nayeon-unnie's kindness and scaffolding I wouldn't have gone out of my shell, and would have remained as nothing but the anxious and meek Mina I used to be.

At the thought of Nayeon-unnie, her words rang inside my head. It was her sage advice before she inherited the position of cheer captain to me during our previous term,

"Mina-yah, listen, I know it's gonna be difficult once we're gone, and change can be overwhelming when you don't have people who support you close by. Me and the unnies will be gone by then, but Sana and the others will still be with you. Though you each have a path to fulfill, just remember that we wouldn't exactly be at ease with leave without knowing you all can't handle it on your own. Senior year for us also had its ups and downs, but it's a moment of breakthroughs, and epiphanies, and mistakes, especially mistakes, and I encourage you to make as much of them, and face it head on. It's your last year, might as well go down fighting."

That memory of her surged a rush of resolve inside of me that I though it obligatory for me to share this kernel of wisdom to my friends. Gently pushing Sana's head aside she peered curiously at my ascent, wondering what on earth what I was about to do.

Striding purposefully towards the space between the T.V. and my friends who also shot me confounding looks, I stared back at them in fiery conviction.

"This isn't right." I declared. "They wouldn't have wanted us dreading senior year just because it ends with a goodbye. Girls, our unnies accomplished so much in that year, it's where they made something for themselves and for the school. It's the time WE should make something of ourselves. This is our last year together, but why should it stop us from making it the best?"

They all gaped at me flabbergasted at my rare outburst seeing how I was the picture of composure when it comes to our diverse little clique. I was beginning to think that I might have outdone it and was already at the process of following up with an apology when my best friend suddenly shot up on the sofa, raising a hand in s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter