The universe's knacks are...?

What is love?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-DAHYUN-

Rain pitter pattered down the window the moment I woke up. Most days, whenever I woke up to a sight like this I think of happy symphonies and light tones that I would likely press on the piano keys. But today was not most days, for the first time in my life, I viewed the rain as glum and dreary which made me felt like I want to break and smash my piano keys into smithereens.

"Dahyunnie~ time to wake up." My mom said peering at the partially open door.

I gingerly lowered my blanket too peek at my mom and shook my head. "Umma, I really don't feel like going to school."

My mom's brows knitted into a straight line out of worry. Stepping inside my room with her usually apron-clad frame, she reached for my forehead checking if I was feeling rather unwell. Physically? No. Emotionally? Yes.

"What's wrong? You don't seem sick to me. C'mon get up now honey, your oppa even got up to make you your favorite dish." 

I couldn't resist to roll my eyes when my mom mentioned my oppa's name. I'm still upset with him.

My mom sighed which made me feel guilty that I'm giving her such a salty response. "Mianhae umma, I promise to go to school at the afternoon. I just feel really drained at the moment. Can I please have this morning for a leave at school?"

She gave me an understanding nod and kissed my forehead as she fixed my blanket, perching it by my chin again. "Okay. But promise me you're gonna fix whatever this problem is by the end of the day. I really don't like seeing my two babies ignoring each other and being angry." 

Oh umma, how I wish it was only oppa I have to make ammends with.

As much as I want to be stubborn and say no- cause I really am angry at Mingyu-oppa for being a prick- I just really can't say no to my mom. "Mmkay, umma. And can you phone the girls I won't be able to attend class today? I really don't want our door broken down again."

Umma laughed reminiscing the time when I skipped school one day, and the house beside us caught on fire. They caught wind of that and thought it was our house burning since the broadcast didn't really specify the address. By the time they got here the fire was extinguished and the smoke died down. Since I was left at home alone without my parents and my twin. I decided to microwave a packaged meal, I think I forgot to take it out and left it for like a half hour which resulted to it burning and creating quite a ruckus at the kitchen. Not being able to bear with the stench I started to cough really bad that it could be heard outside, and the next thing you know someone yelled "I'm coming Dahyun!" which was then followed by a crash.

The memory made me laugh too, but I stopped short when I also remembered something. Come to think of it, the one who threw the rock and tried to bail me out of the house was Hansol. 

Aish, don't think that he did it out of worry for you Dahyun. I do remember him telling a story of a similar experience, when he almost burned their residence when his dad and him built a fire by their fireplace. I guess my friends were too paralyzed to think and Hansol was the only one experienced enough to know what to do. He even came in with a wet towel and covered it by my nose cause he thought I was suffocating. Yeah. That's a more believable version.

"Just call for me downstairs if you need anything, mmkay Dahyunnie?" My mom's voice said snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Mmkay, thank you umma."

-HANSOL-

"Chwe?"

"Here." I muttered not being able to speak properly since I came to school with an ice pack at hand and said ice pack plastered to my face since this morning.

"Kim?" Professor Dae called which made me perk my ears up.

"No? That's peculiar," He muttered to himself as he noted down in his checklist of  Tofu's absence.

Unconsciously, I peeked at the empty seat beside me and wondered why on earth she's M.I.A today. We always tried to beat the other's record for perfect attendance in Mr. Dae's class-which only ended into a tie- since we're both adamant to winning over the other. 

For some reason, the side of my face suddenly stung again possibly reminding me that I am the one to blame for her absence. I admit after a few hours of waiting for the satisfaction that I made her cry. There was actually none that came. Instead, all I got was this tiny pinch at the bottom of my heart when the image of her pained expression popped into my head.

Have I really gone too far?

"Mr. Chwe may I have a word with you in my office?"  Mr. Dae said which wasn't a surprise to everyone since I always get called out at class for the mischief I cause. But for him to personally approach my desk and speak in hushed tones, it was definitely a surprise for me.

Anxious and yet curious of what he would like to talk about, I stood up my seat and followed suite as he went ahead. Making my way out of the class, I caught Mingyu's eye which narrowed into slits seeing me. Fck.That is a bridge that I would love to fix and cross,  but apparently its still risky and infested with predatorial aquamarine life.

As I got inside his office, I noticed the big stacked pile of papers on top of his desk. Is he gonna punish me with paperwork or something?

"Please take a seat Mr. Chwe." He said gesturing towards the same chair I sat on the last time I was inside here.

I complied and sat down, clasping my hands together infront of me-a gesture I do when nervous.

"You see this here?" He asked now gesturing a hadn towards the pile I was staring at awhile ago.

I simply nodded and remained stock still.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter