Kiko, the former oirian.

The Silver Dragons

Chapter 8. Kiko, the oiran.

 

Japan is a beautiful land” Chaerin thought while she sat on the exterior deck, strongly tied with chains. It was getting dark, and the coastline was tainted by yellows and reds as if there was an immense fire in front of them. The waves were crawling gently to the shore, and the smell of humid grass, coming from the infinite emerald fields near the coastline, filled Chaerin’s nose. It was a peaceful moment after the tension of a few hours after, only interrupted by the movements Seungri was doing to the helm. Chaerin gasped: he was being noisy on purpose.

 

"I can’t escape, you know, right?"

 

"I don’t know" V.I. said, his eyes focused on the sea and the small rocks they had to dodge "I think you could swim without difficulties to the nearest beach and find the Korean ambassador before we land in Karatsu" he joked.

 

"Stop joking, pirate."

 

"I can’t, I have to brighten the mood."

 

"Were you like this before?"

 

"How? Handsome, witty, funny, clever and strong?" he moked.

 

"No… rude, cruel and a murderer. You seemed a gentle nobleman."

 

"Yes, I seemed one" he nodded. "But I was a good actor."

 

"Then your sister was right about you."

 

"Hey! Don’t listen to Yuri too much, she’s annoying."

 

The wind was blowing towards the interior, so the Silver Dragon floated calmly, without any type of effort. Under her feet, Chaerin could hear how everyone was getting ready to unload, and tried to figure out how many guns and cannons they had. She thought at least they were twlve sailors, ten rowers, without counting the Kwon brothers and Yuri… They were too many for her to escape.

 

"And we are going to buy more supplies. And maybe enlist three or four boys. So add it to your calculations."

 

“How did he know I was estimating their strength?” Chaerin thought. 

 

"Is that really necessary?"

 

"You almost win the Black Pearl, the best sword in our world of pirates. Of course it’s necessary, Chaerin."

 

"Call me disrespectfully again and next time you’ll regret it."

 

"I used to call you Chaerin" he complained.

 

"It’s Lady Chaerin o milady for you, bastard."

 

"My parents were married when I was born. So I’m legitimate."

 

"That’s not an excuse: you are still a bastard."

 

"I’ll call you lady when you start acting like one."

 

Chaerin moved with strength, trying to untie her chains, and Seung-hyun panicked, because if he had made her angry, he would suffer the consequences.  

 

"EVERYONE, GET READY!" the Dragon screamed.

 

"My Princess!"

 

When the Dragon arrived to the deck where Chaerin and Seung-hyun stayed, he was holding Taeyeon firmly, who was sleeping in pain. Her checks were red and her skin even paler, and her hair was running wild and free, all oily and sweaty due to high fever.

 

"We need to take her to a physician!" Chaerin screamed.

 

"I know" the Dragon affirmed. "But, you won’t come with us, and if you try to escape, your princess will never be able to marry the Chinese prince" he smirked while holding Taeyeon even closer, to make his intentions obvious.

 

"You wouldn’t dare…"

 

"You don’t know. So, don’t risk yourself" he smirked. "Jin Woo, Yuri, Taemin, Key, Takuya and SeungYoon will come with me. The rest will stay here, repairing the ship and guarding Lady Lee Chaerin. How many rowers will we need, Yuri?"

 

"Maybe four" she answered. "But I think…"

 

"Without Yuri?! We can’t!" Seung-hyun interrupted.

 

"Oh, how sweet little brother…" Yuri pretended to be touched.

 

"Nunim, stop!" Seung-hyun complained. "Jiyong! Look what Yuri is doing to your little brother! She’s mocking me…"

 

"Pathetic" Chaerin whispered, but it seemed everyone listened.

 

"I’m with Chaerin, orabeoni."

 

"Seungri…" Jiyong said "come here…"

 

With fear, Seungri approached his older brother: his expression was so inscrutable that Seung-hyun didn’t know what to expect.

 

"Behave!" and he was kicked in the .

 

Well, as expected, he should have expected the worst. Forever bullied.

 

"Jin Woo has prepared some elixirs to control Chaerin’s temper. She will be sleepy all time. Did you think I was going to leave without precautions?" and he threw him a sack. "Here, boil them as Ji Woo has explained in his instructions."

 

"You are the best, hyeongnim! I love you."

 

Jiyong rolled his eyes and descended from the ship with precaution: he was holding Taeyeon firmly, and he wouldn’t let her fall. “She costs a fortune!”.

 

They placed carefully Taeyeon in the boat, making her rest in Yuri’s lap, and the princess sighed in pain.

 

"She doesn’t seem alright" Yuri said, for the first time feeling worried about her. "Who will help us in Karatsu if they discover she’s the Joseon Princess? I don’t know how but the rumor has spread…"

 

It was true: if a group of Japanese pirates attacked them because they knew the Joseon Princess was with them, it was impossible the rumor hadn’t arrived to the Japanese coasts. They must be really careful.

 

"We can only trust her" Jiyong affirmed.

 

"HER?!" the other six exclaimed.

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

After years without meeting, the three shadows reunited, this time, with Huang Qi Zhen’s heir. As usual, they met in the abandoned house, but, luckily for them, the young little girl who saw them years ago wasn’t any longer there. She had grown up and started her life somewhere else.

 

"That stubborn King of yours has finally accepted to marry the Princess- Huang Zitao said-. It took him seven years, but, finally, he accepted. I thought you had more influence over him.

 

"We have influence over him- one of the shadows complained-. We even convinced him to spread the rumor of his sister’s kidnapping. But…- one of the shadows hesitated-. The problem is too much pressure would be suspicious. He’s witty, like his mother.

 

"Yes, the former Crown Prince, Choi Dong Wook was more like the father. And the new King as his mother. What a pity!  

 

"Former Crown Prince?

 

"Don’t you know, lord Huang?

 

"Of course I don’t know! Why would I ask if I did?

 

And his uncontrolled temper made him break his sword, which was pressed against him with strength. His big eyes went wide, making the three shadows afraid of him. He mightn’t look as intimidating as his father, but this new Chinese contact seemed even scarier. The scariest monsters are the ones who don’t look like monsters.

 

"Of course, sorry."

 

"Let me explain you" one of the shadows offered, and lord Huang relaxed. "Fifteen years ago, when our actual King was only thirteen, there was another Crown Prince, the eldest son. He was charming and had it all, but, his love for women made him lost: he transmitted to the former Crown Princess, Park Han Byul, a disease that didn’t allow her to have children."

 

"Park Han Byul is late Queen Sandara elder sister, isn’t she?"

 

"Yes, one of Choi Jeongwan’s aunts. Well, so, after transmitting the disease, he got really sick, and died."

 

"And then our nightmares started: Choi Seung-hyun arrived to power and let us without control. He was so easy-manipulated, you know, Choi Dong Wook: all you needed to do was to give him a fine woman and he was yours."

 

"Let’s not be sorry about the past" Huang Zitao said. "And be overjoyed about the marriage. When are we going to kill the Crown Prince?" he suddenly asked.

 

And the three shadows panicked: they could have their plans, but, saying so coldly they planned to kill a child was scary. It wasn’t that easy.

 

"Be patient, lord Huang" one of the shadows said. "Only when the Queen gives birth to a son. If not, the country will perish. Also, the Second Prince, Choi Daesung, hasn’t got any children. So we won’t have a legitimate bloodline and the Parks of the West will want to give to third Prince Yeon-Jun the throne."

 

"And then… civil war."

 

"It wouldn’t have happened it the Royal family had more children. Why are your royals so stubborn and don’t get children? Our Emperor has a dozen at least."

 

"A legitimate heir can only come from a legitimated wife. We must wait to have one and be prepared when the moment arrives."  

 

"How?"

 

"Leave it to me, lord Huang. You might be clever with the sword, but in the game of power, I’m the best. I will contact you soon."

 

And so the three shadows and Lord Huang Zitao disbanded, returning to their daily-routines as if nothing happened. They have waited seven years to introduce Chinese blood at the Joseon’s royal family; they could wait a bit longer.

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

Kiko Mizuhara couldn’t believe her eyes: after three years, that man returned to her life, with a different woman in his arms. She rose from her armchair, only to inspect the young lady. “Her skin is too good for being a commoner, and her hands hadn’t known what is like to work the fields. She must be First Princess Choi Taeyeon if rumors are true”.

 

"What do you want, Dragon?" she inquired while inspecting the girl even more: she was fascinated.

 

"You owe me a big favor."

 

"Really? I owe you a favor?"

 

"Who helped you to marry my ally, the pirate lord, Nomura Shuhei? And who brings you exclusive goods from all around the world? Those Spaniard gun’s almost cost me my life!"

 

Kiko couldn’t deny it: they mightn’t be lovers any longer, and she was bitter about it (they didn’t end in the best terms). But she couldn’t deny the Silver Dragons were helpful and important allies for them. Especially, since her husband was in good terms with the Dragon. So, for their close business relationship, Kiko offered them her protection and a good physician to treat the Princess illness. But, after seeing how attentive the Dragon was with that young woman, all her memories returned and haunted her.

 

"You can leave her here. You know she’ll be alright, right?"

 

"For the way you look at this woman I think you know who she is. So, excuse me if I prefer to stay close."

 

"Of course."

 

And Kiko offered the Korean pirates some rooms to rest and wash themselves. Her heart almost melted when she saw Jiyong placing the princess sweetly in the mattress. As if she was made of glass.

 

"I guessed you have learned some manners."

 

"As you, Kiko. You look really elegant. Like a lady, almost."

 

"I am a lady."

 

"We both know we can’t let our pasts go so easily."

 

"Don’t remind me the past: I know who I was. Everyone here makes me remember it constantly."

 

"Sorry, milady."

 

Kiko’s eyes opened wide, and her vanity felt complimented. It was the first time someone called her “lady” when she demanded it.

 

"I’ll leave you here. Once my physician visits the princess, we’ll talk."

 

With her natural elegance, Kiko left the room, leaving the Dragon alone with the shaman, who examined Taeyeon in detail.

 

"Could you help me to her dress a bit, lord Dragon? I can’t apply acupuncture like this."

 

"?"

 

"Only the necessary. The future wife of a Chinese prince, fourth in line of succession can’t be compromised, right?" he smirked. "She’s only worth the money if she’s still a ."

 

"Yes. She’s a big sack of money."

 

And the physician proceeded to heal the Princess, with the observant and threatening gaze of the Dragon behind him. It’s been a while since I’ve seen a man so jealous of a physician who’s doing his job properly the Japanese thought.

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

"Hey! Where the hell are you going?!" Yuri screamed.

 

But Taemin, Key and Seungyoon had already left the building, facing the silent and dark streets from Karatsu. Yuri screaming from behind and shooting them arrows, but she was failing purposely.

 

"Black Pearl will kill us, you know" Key affirmed once they turned left and disappeared from Yuri’s view.

 

"She won’t until she’s with lady Hyori in Oeyeondo" Taemin declared. "Black Pearl needs Hyori’s screaming voice to intimidate us."

 

And the three men froze whilst imagining the scenario.

 

"Let’s go, shall we?"

 

The city gates were closed, so meeting with them outside the city was dangerous: they might get intercepted by the guards and then they won’t be able to see each other.

 

"Are you sure they received the message?" Taemin asked, nervously.

 

"Of course" Seungyoon said. "I am offended by your doubts! When did I fail you?"

 

"Henan, raid, two summers ago" Taemin reminded Seungyoon, and he gulped.

 

"Rizhao, last month" Key added.

 

"Okay, I got it. But trust my Sung-Kyung at least: she’s smart and must have warned the other two."

 

Suddenly, two girls dressed in black and with men’s clothes arrived in front of the three men, who breathed calmly: they had received their message correctly.

 

"Taemin!" Son Na-eun whispered. "It’s me."

 

Son Na-eun, the daughter of a Korean dealer settled in Karatsu hugged her lovely Taemin and kissed him deeply. It had been eight months since the last time they saw each other, and, as planned (and with the Dragon’s approval) they were escaping together from Japan to be together.

 

"Ash, those cute lovebirds." Lee Sung-Kyung, the oiran, said. "If I knew I wouldn’t have told her anyth…"

 

But she was interrupted by Seungyoon’s kiss: it was neither deep nor long, as some of her clients loved to give her, but it was so deep of love that she felt shivers through her spine.

 

"Come with us too, Sung-Kyung. You don’t have to live that way" Seungyoon suggested.

 

"And what life will I have? One of a wife settled in a hidden place God knows where who waits a pirate that mightn’t come back alive? I don’t know…"

 

But all the present there knew the moment the Silver Dragons were about to set sails to leave Karatsu, Sung-Kyung will start running and jump in one of their boats to leave her life as a high-class e forever. She was too proud and badass to admit it.

 

"Where is Arisa?" Key demanded.

 

Arisa Yagi was the daughter of Shirahama Kenki, a former pirate who retired in Karatsu and he was a living legend. People said he was so powerful he even threatened the Emperor of the Kingdom of Ayutthaya and was able to marry his eldest daughter to their Crown Prince, Nichkhun of Ayutthaya. And in one of their secret encounters, Arisa confirmed the information to Key.

 

"Don’t you know?" Sung-Kyung said. "She’ll get married in two days with Nomura Shuhei’s best navigator."

 

"Lady Kiko’s husband?"

 

"Yes. Kiko Mizuhara arranged all. Rumors said as a revenge for the Dragon’s indifference. Sorry, Key."

 

"That wicked oiran! You can’t trust them."

 

"Hey!" Seungyoon and Sung-Kyung complained.

 

"Sorry, Sung-Kyung, you’re cool."

 

The steps of a stranger alarmed the lovers, who got ready to attack immediately: all the village would awake if they start fighting so late at night.

 

"Black Pearl?!" the three silver dragons screamed at the same time.

 

"I’ll tell Hyori eonnim, but, first, let’s kidnap Arisa, okay?"

 

The five fixated their eyes in Yuri, mouths wide open, jaws dropped and even wrinkles of surprise appeared on their foreheads. Had Black Pearl just said she will do something to help them and leaving her selfish attitude behind or it was just their imagination?

 

"Had you had too much sake, ninum?" Key asked.

 

But, deep inside, Key was happy to see how Yuri was there supporting him, and offering her help, although Yuri didn’t know Arisa and if their love was worth the fight with their biggest ally in Japan.

 

"Hey! We’re a crew, and crews help each other" and she took off her arch, with a smirk on her dark skin. "Let’s annoy the Japanese, shall we?"

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

For the sad look in the Queen’s eyes, Kwon Bo Ah knew the marriage hadn’t been consummated, although everyone seemed to think the opposite. She just knew Choi Seung-hyun too well to understand he wasn’t going to betray Park Bom because of political reasons. His Royal Concubine was all he had to get away from his duties and position, and she would always have the same role: not even death could drift them apart.

 

But, as the First Palace Lady, she knew it was a matter of time Queen Mi-young could get the King’s trust: she was an intelligent and capable Queen, with the abilities of an Empress and the necessary hate towards her own half-brother to unite the two royals in the fight against the Chinese influence.

 

"What brings you here, Lady Kwon Bo Ah?"

 

With his deep eyes and big eyebrows, Jung Yun-ho, the chief of the royal archives, intimidated Bo Ah, who hide her emotions as diligently as always.

 

"I can only trust you, my friend."

 

Friends since childhood, both Yun-ho and Bo Ah shared a special bond and trusted each other to death: she will confess a secret to Yun-ho before than to her own blood-brothers. “Well, they are a bunch of temperamental and irrational kids who didn’t understood they could do something important for our future” and she sighed.

 

"I would like to see the reports of Queen Sandara and Concubine Bom’s deaths."

 

She said it so lowly that not even the most expert spy would be able to hear her, but it was shocking enough to make Yun-ho’s jaw drop.

 

"Why so sudden? Do you know if they get moved both the Parks of the East and the Parks of the West will know, right?"

 

And Bo ah sighed in frustration: it was true; they were everywhere and controlled everything since her father died. If he was alive, she would be able to investigate without difficulties.

 

"Could you do an illegal copy for me, Yun-ho? I need to study them."

 

"It’ll take some time…"

 

"Don’t you ask me why I want it?"

 

"I trust you and I think I know."

 

"Really?"

 

With caution, Yun-ho took one piece of paper and wrote carefully.

 

 

«You suspect the same people who plotted with the Emperor to kill Park Sandara and Park Bom are behind the kidnapping of Princess Taeyeon».

 

 

"Yes."

 

And Yun-ho burned the piece of paper, so only the air will know the truth about the words that had just been shared.

 

"I’ll do the copy, but talk with Lord Kim HeeChul…"

 

"I won’t. If I’m right, they are powerful, and I can’t trust the lord of the spies."

 

"Okay then, but be careful and find powerful allies, Bo Ah, if not, you will suffer the same destiny as your father."

 

"Don’t worry: I am stronger than I look."

 

"…"

 

"Yun-ho" and she took his friend’s hand. "The country needs us, and although we might be killed, we need to break this weal of influence the Chinese have in Joseon."

 

Jung Yun-ho knew Bo Ah was determined to find the truth and nothing, not even a sudden love confession and a marriage proposal to take her away from Court, would convince her to stop.

 

"What do you need?"

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

Kiko Mizuhara had one big talent and she used it for years to get secrets from some of the most powerful men in Japan to ascend. From a common e who served her clients in the streets to a great oiran, with her own brothel and money to buy some of the most expensive silks from China. Her economic power was so strong that she was able to sponsor some pirate’s raids, which became quite successful. That’s how she met the Silver Dragons and started an affair with the Dragon, which led her to increase her network to the point to be able to seduce the most powerful pirate of the Oriental Seas. And now, she was his wife.

 

But, after witness how difficult it was for her to use her talents once more to get information from the Korean ambassador, she felt disappointed.

 

"Will I ever see you again?" the ambassador said whilst recovering his breath once more, lying on the mattress and sweaty.

 

"Maybe" Kiko suggested and got herself dressed. "It’s been a pleasure, milord."

 

She left the room and spoke with one of her es, who waited patiently outside.

 

"I could have done it for you, milady."

 

"But lord Nomura will never know, so, there’s no problem."

 

"Why did you get, milady?"

 

"The most powerful weapon in the world: information."

 

__________________________________________________________________________

 

A hint of history:

  • Gyeongbokgung is the name of the Korean main palace, so, when you read that name in the story, you’ll know I’m referring to the Korean Palace.
  • Today I have introduced two oirans: Kiko Mizuhara and Lee Seung-Kyung. As you might have suspected, the oirans were es in Japan. It wasn’t necessary for them to be Japanese. In Japan, we had geishas, oirians and common es. The difference between oirians and geishas (although some might thing there wasn’t) is that a geisha was an artist who interpreted some “ual acts”. Oirians where es, but literate and knowledge in fashion and arts. Since they had cultural background, it was easier for the Japanese men (usually the powerful) to discuss with them, being substitutes of their wives (they neither read nor had any type of cultural background, so it was difficult for the husbands to stablish an equal relationship with their wives: they didn’t have conversation topics).  

 

Where did I find inspiration to get the new characters?

  • Nomura Shuhei. He’s actual Kiko Mizuhara’s boyfriend.
  • Kiko Mizuhara. As almost all VIP’s will know, she’s GD’s ex-girlfriend. I don’t hate her and I think she’s a nice girl. But, in this fic she’s a woman who had to rise herself from misery using all she had and more. She’s ambitious.
  • Lee Sung-Kyung: she’s an YG actress (the one in Cheese in the Trap) and she’s a good friend of WINNER’s Seungyoon. She even appeared in one of his video clips.
  • Son Na-eun, she’s from A’pink and was with Taemin in We got married. I just loved their chemistry and was one of the few seasons of we got married I watched.
  • Arisa Yagi she was with Key in We got married too, and the reason why I added her here it was because I also loved their chemistry. 

 

______________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: So today I tried to do a chapter more focused in the secondary characters… sorry for the gtae and topfanny (I know this couple is seems really abandoned, but, is just that I promise it will change little by little: they are a King and a Queen, their love story can be easy) stans. My idea was to make the story more focused in the main characters, but, after a bit of reflection I thought: if the main characters do everything and they are the only ones with romantic and interesting plots, then I will betray the idea a good historian should know: stories aren’t made by single men, but of a bunch of small plots that cross to knit a cobweb.

And I also love Shinee, Winner and BoA!

 

 

Special thanks to the people who commented! Since I’m about to explode with work they encourage me a lot ^^