In the shadows.

The Silver Dragons

 

 

Chapter 16. In the shadows.  

 

"So… are you ready, my Queen?"

 

"Of course, my King."

 

Mi-young and Princess HaYi entered the palanquin, while Seung-hyun rode his horse, followed by his son, the Crown Prince. He was the living image of the king, and Seung-hyun couldn’t feel happier about it: that way no-one could ever deny that he wasn’t his legitimate heir. The resemblance was too obvious to spread rumors about a possible treason between Park Sandara and Kwon Jiyong. Maybe there had been one, Seung-hyun couldn’t know (and wouldn’t have minded) but, at least, it didn’t affect to his legitimate heir. And the ghosts of the past could rest on the cold ground.

 

"Are you sure we aren’t too heavy, sir?" Mi-young asked to the carriers.

 

"Do not worry, your majesty, and sit comfortably with the Queen. Our arms are strong."

 

"Alright then."

 

Princess Ha Yi sat in front of the Queen, trying to balance the closed palanquin. It had been a gift from his father on her birthday. But she couldn’t stop moving. She was so cute with her chubby cheeks, and putting as his father. Ha Yi wasn’t as pretty as her mother, but she had that charming, shy and wild spirit that everyone loved her instantly.

 

"What’s the issue, Ha Yi?"

 

"I want a horse too. I want to ride with Jeongwan and do a race." She moved once more. "Asshhhh! Why is this dress so uncomfortable?"

 

She moved so much that the palanquin seemed to fall, and a startled Ha Yi screamed in shock.

 

"BE CAREFUL HA YI!" the strong and deep voice of the King echoed even from the outside. "Apologize immediately!"

 

"I’m so sorry, mister carrier!"

 

Ha Yi changed her position completely, and, remained motionless, even controlling her breathing. Her father’s voice was so imposing she was so scared to hear it once more.

 

"I’m sure you’ll win your orabeoni."

 

"I know, but he’s so arrogant that he would say he’s lost because he didn’t want to embarrass her younger sister."

 

"All brothers do that. Do not let that hurt you."

 

"But I’m better than him, uncle Daesung always says it!" she pretended not to listen. "And uncle never lies."

 

"Never?" she seemed surprised.

 

"Father says uncle is really reserved and shy, but that he never lies so we must listen to him."

 

"Then your uncle is a really wise man. Good girl for trusting him."

 

"Right?!"

 

She yelled with so much enthusiasm that the palanquin swung more than usual, again, and one of the carriers complained.

 

"CHOI HA YI! Next time you will travel alone." the King warned.

 

"Noooo!"

 

They arrived a few hours later to the temple. It was a small construction in the middle of the forest, and only the sound of the birds singing and the flowing water could be heard. Once the palanquin was lying on the floor, the door was opened by the King. He seemed unusually angry, with one of those sharp expressions that could have killed the two women inside. But they didn’t die because that killing gaze was followed by a soft smile.

 

"You can go on the horse with your brother later. You silly hyperactive girl!" and Seung-hyun messed up Ha Yi’s braided hair. "Go with your brother to get some candles."

 

"Yes!"

 

She carefully exited the palanquin with her right foot, showing respect towards Buddha and all the antecessors.

 

"Do you need some help, my Queen?"

 

He offered his hand to Mi-young, realizing that it was the first time they shared any type of physical contact between them. For a King, his hands were quite soft and warm. “Even softer than mine!”. Mi-young panicked, but, after all, she was a queen, so she pretended not to feel goosebumps through all her body.

 

"Accompany me, my Queen."

 

They walked in silence, followed by the Royal Children. After lighting their incense and bowing towards the altar, they reminded silent, wishing for princess Taeyeon to come back safe.

 

Mi-young missed her friend terribly. The shy but honest and determined Taeyeon was her only true friend in the palace, and she helped her to understand the ins and out inside Gyeongbokgung, the giant of wood who seemed to control everyone’s life to the limit. Taeyeon was always here; ready to inform her about the loyalties and interests, helping her not to give a misstep.

 

Taeyeon was a shy woman, but, Mi-young’s cheerfulness and extrovert attitude helped the princess to become more open with the others and developing a closer relationship with her nephews, who were praying the hardest at the temple.

 

"I want aunt back, please good gods," Jeongwan whispered while pressing his eyes tightly.

 

Mi-young smiled at the Crown Prince’s insistent prayers and got lost in her own memories with the First Princess. The strong scent of the King was the only thing that stopped Mi-young from getting lost in her memories. So concentrated she was at praying that time flew, and only the gentle hand of her husband on her shoulder awoken her from her daydreaming.

 

"We should go, my Queen."

 

Seung-hyun smiled at her and once more helped her to rise from the floor.

 

"And the royal children?"

 

"They are having lunch with the monks. Would you like to eat with them, my Queen?"

 

"Aren’t you joining us, my King?"

 

"First I have to visit the temple’s warehouses."

 

Seung-hyun saw Mi-young’s sad expression and remembered what his loyal Lee SooHyuk told him.

 

----- Flashback -----

 

 "Then send to Gagwon’s governor a warning letter, inviting as gently as possible to return to court and give explanations under the risk of being accused as a deserter and a traitor."

 

"Yes, milord." SooHyuk answered diligently.

 

"And before leaving, demand to the Queen’s entourage if she could visit me at my study as soon as possible today."

 

"Well, your majesty…"

 

Seung-hyun had known Lee SooHyuk, who before becoming a forced eunuch was a promising naval engineer, for years. So he was able to notice when his most loyal secretary had an inner conflict.

 

"Tell me what it is, lord SooHyuk."

 

"It might be nothing, your highness."

 

"Sometimes the smallest ash can burn an entire forest, SooHyuk. Tell me, it’s an order."

 

He still hesitated, but, not everyone was able to successfully avoid King Choi Seung-hyun’s deep stares. One of those and you would explain to him if you had diarrhea. So, SooHyuk confessed.

 

"Yesterday I saw the Crown Prince treating the Queen with really bad manners. Maybe he had a bad day, but…"

 

"Tell me, my loyal SooHyuk… Had he just arrived from his aunt’s house?"

 

"I think so, my King."

 

"Then maybe it wasn’t a bad day." he paused and smiled to SooHyuk, who seemed concerned: a conflict between the Queen and the Crown Prince wouldn’t be a good idea. "Thank you for telling me, I shall be careful from now on, just in case."

 

 

 ----- End Flashback -----

 

So, Seung-hyun knew by the Queen’s face that she wasn’t in the mood to deal with an angered teenager. He could understand his son: he was the eldest, after all, and had to take care of his younger siblings and be a proper Crown Prince without his mother beside him. But, “Gosh, he’s sooo like me! Such a terrible temper!” he thought. For that reason…

 

"Would you accompany me, my Queen?"

 

"Of course." she smiled, and Seung-hyun had to look back, her smile was really charming.

 

Both the King and the Queen walked through the gardens of the temple, towards the warehouses. But, what Seung-hyun got wrong was that the Queen was sad because she couldn’t deal with Jeongwan. No, it was the idea of not being beside her king what made Mi-young miserable. Because, after so much hard work, patience and tolerance, he seemed to, at least, tolerate her. And it gave her hope that things between them might change someday.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Are you feeling alright, Taeyeon?" Chaerin asked while folding some sheets. "You’re paler than usual."

 

"I just hadn’t slept properly, sorry." And Taeyeon focused on her task once more.

 

"Then go and take a nap, we have already finished."

 

"I don’t want to."

 

"May I ask why, Taeyeon?" Arisa, who was cleaning a window, asked. It was still difficult for her to call the princess by her name, but, she was so stubborn about it that the young Japanese girl could only accept it.

 

"I see death bodies and blood haunting my dreams. All those death people… because of me. It’s my fault."

 

"Why would you think that, Taeyeon." Chaerin sat near her friend, holding her trembling hand.

 

"Because it’s true. The pirates from the ship, the loyal soldiers who fought to keep us alive. No-one would have suffered if we stayed at home."

 

"Everyone suffers, Taeyeon. From the King to the slave. The pirates died at the sea, where they belonged. And the soldiers died because they were men of honor who swore to protect the Royal Family. Both had honorable deaths."

 

"There’s nothing such as an honorable death, Chaerin."

 

That was what Taeyeon believed, because, as her dear mother once told her: the only thing that matters in life is to protect the family. And you can only protect it if you stay alive.

 

"Dying with honor is the only moment in this world where we can freely choose. Do not worry, Taeyeon. Those men weren’t afraid when death came to visit them."

 

"It’s true…" and she remembered their reckless faces.

 

"Get used to people dying for you, princess. You are a member of the Royal Family and all your servants have sworn to protect you until their lasts breaths."

 

"Would you die for me?"

 

Chaerin hold her friend’s hand even tighter, making Taeyeon shed a small tear because the unspoken truth made her tremble: she would also die for her friend. And she felt the bond between them grow even stronger.

 

"It doesn’t make easier for me to know that, Chaerin."

 

"I know, but sometimes the truth hurts more than a lie."

 

"Besides, it wasn’t me who they…"

 

The princess didn’t finish her sentence, because, suddenly, she remembered something. So big was her shock that she remained motionless, like a statue. Everyone got afraid, because of her sudden change of mood.

 

"Taeyeon?"

 

"Your majesty?" Na-eun added.

 

But Taeyeon couldn’t hear them. Within a second, she stood up and started to run as fast as she could towards a concrete direction. Her eyes were sparkling with rage. After what seemed ages, she arrived at a small house, and without even knocking, Taeyeon opened the door, furiously.

 

"KWON JIYONG!" she screamed.

 

"Aaaaah! Taeyeon!"

 

Jiyong was startled and looked at the princess in fear. She was really scary, and he felt almost frightened enough to ask for some help. But, he had to prove he was brave, so he prayed hard to the Gods, hoping Taeyeon’s rage had no fundaments.

 

"YOU, KWON JIYONG!"

 

"IT’S DRAGON!"

 

"YOU ARE NO DRAGON, DIRTY AND DISGUSTING PIRATE!"

 

And Jiyong, who last night had a sort of a trance, almost regretted everything he realized. But… “She is so fierce and attractive even when she looks at me with so much hate...” he thought “Behave, Kwon Jiyong! You need to prove you’re a grown man, do not act childish”.

 

"Young Bae! Look what Taeyeon told me!" and Taeyang, who was sitting next to Jiyong, rolled his eyes in despair and thinking: “what I am about to do with this giant baby?”.

 

Too late” Jiyong thought.

 

"Stop it!" Taeyeon shouted.

 

Taeyeon was so angry that took Jiyong’s shirt and pulled her near him, their noses almost touching. “She must be really angry; because it’s the first time she hadn’t blushed. I don’t like that.” Jiyong thought. But he had no time to think any longer because Taeyeon shouted with such intensity his whole brain hurt.

 

"WHY DID YOU WANT TO KIDNAP PRINCESS MI-YOUNG AND NOT ME AND WHO GAVE YOU THE ORDER?!"

 

Jiyong and Taeyang gulped.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

Third Prince Choi Yeon Jun was a little and spoiled cute boy. He was growing fast, and predictions said he would be taller and bigger than the Crown Prince. Still, he was the little one in the family, and his everyone protected him from malicious comments and manipulative people, who saw in the youngest of the royal family a chance to get power and influence.

 

There were two strong factions fighting against each other at the Joseon court: the Parks of the West and the Parks of the East. And each clan was represented by one of the two sons of King Choi Seung-hyun. On one hand, Crown Prince Jeongwan was the heir of the King and had blood from the Parks of the West, the ones who controlled the most fertile lands in the country.  On the other hand, there was the young Third Prince Choi Yeon Jun, the son of Royal Concubine Park Bom and the prince with blood-ties with the Parks of the East, who controlled the growing trading. He was the third prince and not the second because, as the son of a concubine, he was considered a bastard, and for that reason, his uncle, Second Prince Choi Daesung, hold a title that would have been his if he had been the Queen’s son.

 

Jeongwan was the Parks of the West hope, and Yeon Jun of the Parks of the East. Everyone knew the ascension to the throne of the bastard was quite improbable: after Jeongwan and Daesung, the children who had the priority were the future male children of First Princess Taeyeon. For that reason, his family hoped him to become a brilliant and indispensable piece in the game of power, so he could raise the influence of the Parks of the East in court.

 

But, at the young age of seven, Choi Yeon Jun only cared about playing and his siblings, who were the only ones he could play with. And when he woke up that day they weren’t there, so he became sad.

 

"Why are they not here, First Palace Lady?" he asked, almost crying.

 

"They went with the King and the Queen to pray for your aunt. I’m so sorry, my prince, but the trip was tough."

 

"But I’m a tough boy!"

 

"I know, young prince. But your father was worried about you getting hurt. We must respect the King’s orders, right?" and she smiled.

 

"Right…"

 

He returned Bo Ah smile with a little nod and agreed to have breakfast with Dowager Queen.

 

"Why does everyone obey father, grandmother?" and he ended his soup in one sip.

 

"Because he’s the King of Joseon, Third Prince."

 

"Then I’ll become King and I will go with Jeongwan and Ha Yi to cool places because they’ll have to obey me!"

 

"YOU CAN’T BECOME KING, THIRD PRINCE!"

 

And his grandmother slapped him. It was the first time in all his live that Uhm Jung Hwa punished physically one of her grandchildren. But those thoughts could not be tolerated: the youngest son had to be humble, and respect the right order of things. The heir to the throne always had to be a legitimate heir. Yeon Jun was still a child, but it was a lesson he had to learn and accept his place as a bastard.

 

"Grandmother!" and he cried."

 

"I’m so sorry, my love" and she hugged the child, who was hiccupping, and tried to console him. "But only a Queen’s son can be the King."

 

"But mommy was a Queen…"

 

"No, she wasn’t. She was a mere concubine. But don’t worry, my beloved grandson. You can become a powerful man, as your uncle. He only responds to the King."

 

"Is uncle the second most powerful man in Joseon?"

 

"Yes. And you can become him if you want. Isn’t it cool?" Uhm Jung Hwa asked, with a wide smile.

 

"Yes."

 

Yeon Jun answered also smiling and Uhm Jung Hwa sighed in relieve.

 

"Let’s finish our breakfast and go study, shall we?"

 

"I love to study!"

 

"You are such a smart boy, grandson."

 

Yeon Jun thanked his grandmother and ate relaxed. But, Dowager Queen Uhm Jung Hwa was nervous deep inside: “You would have become an excellent ruler, Yeon Jun. But a King must come from a Queen, never a concubine. You’ll have to learn that, even if it’s in a cruel way, my dear”. But she was the Dowager Queen: she shouldn’t spend her time on negative thoughts. So, she sipped her soup as elegantly as possible, playing once more the role she had been born to play.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

Jiyong arrived at dawn from his er trip, and Young Bae was waiting for him at his house. He always did that: when Jiyong went to “see” Sandara, he always returned tired and depressed, so Taeyang was there to comfort him like good friends should do.

 

But normally, he arrived for dinner, and Taeyang would have warmed Hyorin’s food, so they could eat and drink together at Jiyong’s humble house. But for the first time in seven years, it was different.

 

After all the treasures and money they had collected, all the Silver Dragons were having humble lives, because, as Taeyang always said: "you will never know when your luck will be over". After two kids and fearing not to be able to hug them someday, he knew he had to grow up. Unluckily, in the process, he also became a father's substitute for Jiyong. Not that he complained, but it was annoying to take care of a grown man as if he was a baby. 

 

"You’re late." Young Bae scolded him.

 

"I also love you, Young Bae-ah." and he sat on a cushion loudly.

 

"Hyo-rin is going to kill me."

 

"Then go home! Go!" and Jiyong signed the door.

 

"Hey! What’s the matter today? Everything’s alright?"

 

"Just go home and take care of your family."

 

"Alright then." he pretended to be annoyed because he knew would instantly react. "I leave."

 

"NO! YOUNG BAE! Don’t leave me alone!"

 

Taeyang took three deep breaths before handling the sensitive man in front of him. Sometimes stereotypes said women and princesses were the emotional and delicate ones, but, Jiyong proved him that it was everything a lie: he was a delicate princess.

 

"Relax first, wait, I’ll prepare a tea. Get some clean and comfortable clothes first."

 

Jiyong went to his room and changed into something that smelled better: he had been a few days at the forest, with rain and any type of soap. And, through the old mirror he had in his chambers, he saw it once more: his big dragon tattoo. A dragon made of silver and so shiny he thought it was brighter than the mirror. A memory he would always have tinted on his skin, making him remember what he was: a pirate and a traitor of his King and his family honor.

 

"Have some tea."

 

Young Bae approached with a warm cup, and both returned to the main room of the house, which had the doors wide open towards a patio full of vegetation and a small fountain. As per usual, Taeyang waited for his friend: he was a person who needed his time to get out his worries. He was the leader of a band of pirates and showing his weaknesses it was something he could not do on a daily basis.

 

"Of all the sins I could have committed, I did the worst one, Young Bae. I will not reach peace neither in this life nor the other."

 

"What did you do?"

 

He had to accept it in front of someone, or the feeling would drive him mad. He had an indescribable pain in the chest, pressing his lungs and giving him difficulties to breath. The same tough feeling when he had to let his father die: the guilt, to keep going with his life when innocent people perished. Sandara, his father, and even the innocent Park Bom deserved his pain because it was the only way to feel closer to them, to feel less ashamed of what he was doing. 

 

"I betrayed my love…"

 

"You’ve just arrived from a two-day meditation journey to honor her memory. How on earth could you have betrayed Sandara?"

 

It was time to say it with words, and, for a second, Jiyong lost all the air in his lungs. But, with the little courage he had left, he finally confessed his terrible secret:

 

"I have fallen in love with princess Taeyeon."

 

Usually, Young Bae eyes were small, and since he was a happily married father he spent most of his time smiling, which made his eyes look even smaller. In fact, Jiyong had trouble remembering how his eyes looked like. But, that day, his second in command opened them so widely he remembered they were dark-brown. They looked at each other, eyes and mouths wide openopen until Jiyong’s throat got too dry and he started to cough.

 

"Are you alright, my friend?" Young Bae asked, returning to his senses once more.

 

"Yes, water."

 

The small break while Jiyong was drinking some water gave Taeyang enough time to take the news in. And, to his friend’s surprise…

 

"Somehow I knew this would happen. Congratulations." he smiled.

 

"WHAT?!" Jiyong screamed.

 

"I got suspicious from the moment you couldn’t leave her alone with the doctor in Karatsu. I thought it was strange, like… you weren’t her husband to get that concerned or something…"

 

"Husband?"

 

"Not a husband. But, you are always annoying her, taking care of her, worrying… and she’s your prisoner, remember? You do not treat your enemy’s sister so nicely. Congratulations."

 

"HOW CAN YOU CONGRATULATE ME?!"

 

"Oh! Sandara!"

 

"OH! SANDARA IS ALL YOU CAN SAY, YOUNG BAE?! This is important for me."

 

The environment turned tense once more, and Young Bae felt sorry for his reaction. But, as a friend who had seen him in his worst moments, he wished he was truly happy once more. He deserved it. And princess Taeyeon was a nice lady. Yet it was true: no-one knew better than him how guilty Kwon Jiyong felt for the deaths of his beloved ones seven years ago.

 

"Moving on isn’t betraying Sandara, you know that… right?"

 

"I shouldn’t have moved on, to begin with." he breathed. "I killed, robbed, lied, betrayed, hurt and tortured people. But, nothing compares to this feeling, Young Bae."

 

They hugged each other, and Jiyong had to control himself from crying. He had never shed tears, not even for his father. This annoying feeling won’t be his first time.

 

"What should I do?"

 

"The only thing a man can do when he's confused…" Young Bae paused for a second, and it annoyed Jiyong so much that he pinched him. "That hurt! Okay, I’ve got it. You should meditate about what you are feeling. Only when you have put some order into your mind you will find peace, and maybe feel less guilty."

 

"I cannot do that."

 

"Your father died to give you the chance to live and be happy. Of course, you shouldn’t let guilt stop you. Okay, what are we going to do is…"

 

But Young Bae couldn’t finish his sentencesentence because an angered Taeyeon rushed into the room.

 

"KWON JIYONG!" she screamed.

 

"Aaaaah! Taeyeon!"

 

She was so angry and looked at them with so much intensity that, for a second, she became the feminine version of her brother, King Choi Seung-hyun. She approached Jiyong and pulled his collar.

 

"YOU, KWON JIYONG!"

 

"IT’S DRAGON!"

 

"YOU ARE NO DRAGON, DIRTY AND DISGUSTING PIRATE!"

 

"Young Bae! Look what Taeyeon told me!"

 

When Taeyang was about to say something to calm the princess, she glared at him so scary that he forgot how to blink. 

 

"Stop it!" Taeyeon shouted, only to scream even louder. "WHY DID YOU WANT TO KIDNAP PRINCESS MI-YOUNG AND NOT ME AND WHO GAVE YOU THE ORDER?!"

 

Jiyong and Taeyang gulped.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

Mi-young walked in silence, behind the King and his bodyguard, the loyal and talented Park Sang-Hyun. Maybe he had been demoted from his charge as a Navy Major General, but, it seemed he took his punishment as an opportunity to start again and prove his loyalty towards the Crown.

 

"You know in this temple all the monks are well-trained martial artists, right? If they had planned to kill me, lord Sang-Hyun, we’d already be death." he joked.

 

"Do not joke with this, my King. I’d try my best if that happened. As your Security Chief…"

 

"You underestimate your abilities, milord. Of course, they would be death before touching me. You are the best warrior in all Joseon. Never forget that."

 

Mi-young giggled a little because the poor Park Sang-Hyun blushed a little with the King’s comment. “He’s such a goofy, man, this King.” she thought.

 

"It is true." The Queen intervened. "One of my maids told me that a few months ago you defeated twenty five trained Japanese pirates alone, am I wrong?"

 

"They were twenty-one, my Queen." the King commented, without turning his back for a second. "That’s what the scribes wrote in the report."

 

"Impressive!" she added.

 

And Park Sang-Hyun blushed even more.

 

"It was my duty as your server, your majesties!" he shouted.

 

"I know. I know."

Suddenly, Seung-hyun turned around and looked into the Thunder’s eyes, with one of those glares that could kill anyone. Mi-young had to bit her lips so anyone could notice how startled she was.

 

"But promise me something, lord Park."

 

"Anything!"

 

"If things turn bad. No matter where we are. Leave me, go to find my children and put them in a safe place. That’s my only wish."

 

"But, then…"

 

"They are the most precious thing I have in this world and the reason I wake up every day. You need to protect them with your life, if necessary."

 

"Yes!" and he bowed.

 

Mi-young got a bit emotionalemotional because she had never seen a man talking so fondly of his children. Not even once her own father hold her, and her brother, Emperor Qing Geng, had never done the same with his own children. It was admiring, and even more to have the humility to express it so clearly.

 

"Ah! We have arrived!"

 

The King smiled, showing his dimples in the process, and Mi-young had to bit her lips once more to control her emotions.

 

"Take a look, my Queen. These are magnificent pieces."

 

They were inside a warehouse with big windows protected by curtains. So the light couldn’t damage the art pieces inside of the place. It was well-known that monks and nobles were patrons of the Arts. But Mi-young hadn’t seen a collection so diverse in her life, and she was stunned.  

 

On the walls, different patterns of paintings were hung: charcoal drawings, watercolors, and even some calligraphy in incredible soft silk were on display. The collection of white ceramics was small, but combined curious forms and interesting patterns. Most of the pieces reflected realistic landscapes from the kingdom, so much more detailed and less realistic than the Chinese one. Seung-hyun suddenly got lost, only his animated voice while talking to the supervisor of the warehouse could be listened. As Mi-young rambled through the corridors and walls, a particular group of wood frescoes caught her attention. They represented the four seasons, but the colors were so dark and intense it seemed she was watching a far and mysterious land.

 

"Do you like it, my Queen?"

 

Seung-hyun whispered in her ear, making her jump in the process and hit Seung-hyun’s chin with her shoulder.

 

"Ouch!" he complained.

 

"I’m so sorry, my King!!!!" she touched his chin, trying to see if there were any injuries. "Forgive me, forgive me!"

 

"There’s… nothing… to… forgive."

 

He touched his chin, trying to ease the pain. Mi-young seemed so worried that he exaggerated a little bit than necessary, but, after a few more apologies, he decided to change the subject.

 

"Those are some Kim Myeong-guk originals. He’s one of my favorite painters, too."

 

"I didn’t know you were fond of arts."

 

"I guess we don’t know each other very well, yet. I didn’t know you were such a good actress." he paused. "The theater you did with lady Bo Ah is worth of recognition… and my sweet Park Bom thought First Palace Lady didn’t have acting skills."

 

And the memories of Park Bom turned the King sad, so, he left Mi-young watching the paintings, only to continue walking alone through the room. It shocked Seung-hyun the fact that he had told to Qing Mi-young a few months ago that she hated her family with all his heart and he was now even joking with his sister’s enemy. But she had proven there was nothing more than some bloodline between her and the Emperor. Mi-young’s hard work, her wisdom and determination to find Park Bom’s murderer without asking anything in return marveled him.

 

"My Queen, come, please!"

 

Mi-young tried to walk fast but without making it obvious she felt relieved to be called by Seung-hyun. She had her pride, after all. Once she found him, with a wide smile, Seung-hyun showed her a portrait of a man, maybe a noble.

 

"I think you should get a portrait done, my Queen. What do you think?" he smiled.

 

"That would be a wonderful idea, my King." she smiled, too.

 

"Then…"

 

Seung-hyun ran through the room, leaving Mi-young once more flustered. “Is this going to be a habit for him or what?” she thought. Luckily, he returned in less than a second.

 

"Then you’ll need a yongjam. I think this one was from one of the first Joseon Queens in our nation."

 

Seung-hyun held with care a golden hairpin with a big ruby and jades encrusted on it. It was designed with a dragon… the dragon of the Joseon Dynasty. When Mi-young realized the importance of the hairpin, she couldn’t help it but cry.

 

"Have I offended you, my Queen?" Seung-hyun was surprised by her attitude. "Are you sad?"

 

"No… sorry, my King. Some of the medicines I’m taking to recover are making me a little bit emotional." she lied.

 

"Then… would you like to wear it? May I change your hairpin with the Yongjam?"

 

She nodded and Seung-hyun placed the yongjam on her hair. The yongjam was a type of hairpin only the Queen of Joseon could wear, and, by offering it to Mi-young, Seung-hyun had indirectly told her that he accepted her as the rightful Queen of his kingdom. Not even all the gold in the world would have made her happier than in that moment. There were better days to come, but, Mi-young would always remember that moment like one of the most precious in her life.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Do not run so fast, sister!" Jeongwan yelled. "Yah! Ha Yi, stop!"

 

"You can’t catch me, orabeoni!" and she ran even faster, holding a black fabric.

 

"Give me my manggeon! I want it back!"

 

"Let your hair run wild and free because it smells bad!"

 

"I took a bath yesterday, you liar!"

 

Jeongwan got tired of their game and run faster than before, but, couldn’t catch his younger sister. She was a natural athlete, and the Crown Prince wasn’t gifted with the ability to be fit and agile, like his father. They were so clumsy and alike that sometimes they fell on the floor at the same time. Not because there was an obstacle or something, no, it was because they didn’t put their feet correctly on the floor.

 

"Haaaaaa Yiiiiiiii! Heeeeeelp!"

 

Ha Yi stopped to run through the Temple’s patio and looked back, only to see her older brother lying on the floor, and complaining about his ankle.

 

"Are you alright, Jeongwanie?"

 

Once she approached him enough, Jeongwan took advantage of the situation and throw her some sand on the eyes. That way, he was able to recover his manggeon and put it back on his head. Ha Yi started to sob.

 

"You are baaaad, orabeoni." she sobbed even more. "Baaaaaaaaaad…"

 

"You are worst! You pushed me on the floor and took my manggeon! I need it to have my hair in place!"

 

"Baaaaaaaaaaaad…" she couldn’t stop sobbing.

 

"WHAT HAPPENED?!"

 

Jeongwan froze when he heard his father’s voice. “I’m so screwed!” the Crown Prince thought.

 

"Are you okay, Second Princess?" Mi-young said while approaching the crying girl. She crouched down to wipe Ha Yi’s tears.

 

"My eyes hurt."

 

Carefully, Mi-young blew away the sand in Ha Yi’s eyes, and the little princess was able to open them once more. They were really red and she was full of tears. Meanwhile, Seung-hyun scolded his eldest son.

 

"Why did you do that to your sister?"

 

"She took my manggeon! I can’t have my hair like a girl!"

 

"Oh, really?" he was killing him with his sharp eyes.

 

"I’m the Crown Prince!"

 

"A CROWN PRINCE TREATS EVERYONE WITH RESPECT!"

 

Jeongwan was so scared that he bowed immediately, asking for forgiveness.

 

"I’m so sorry, father! But she wasn’t respecting me!"

 

"When you have to beg for someone’s respect, you have lost it."

 

Seung-hyun smirked and also crouched down, and took his son’s chin. The Crown Prince was controlling the urge to cry.

 

"Treat people the way you want to be treated, my son. Rise."

 

Jeongwan rose up from the floor and look at his father, expecting his punishment.

 

"Ya Hi, stand next to your brother!"

 

Still, in tears, Ha Yi approached Jeongwan, and Mi-young gave the little girl an encouraging smile, she felt more relaxed.

 

"You are the Crown Prince and the Second Princess of Joseon. But, EVEN before that, you are siblings. And siblings need to love and respect each other because there’s nothing more important than family. For that reason, today you’ll return together on the palanquin, no insulting each other, no attacking each other. You’ve lost your right to ride a horse until I give you the permission once more."

 

Both children nodded, but, deep inside, they felt angry about their father’s decision. Riding horses was a hobby both siblings shared and felt as a way to disconnect from the incipient pressure they were getting as the royal children. They knew they hadn’t behaved properly, but they were still too young to understand there had to be consequences for their actions. They both walked behind the King and the Queen, in silence.

 

"I love your new hairpin, your majesty!" Ha Yi said to make the environment less comfortable.

 

"Thank you; it was a gift from your father."

And then Jeongwan saw it: the Yongjam. The same style of hairpin his mother used to wear as the Queen of Joseon. Now, that woman had a similar one. And what was even worse was that it was his own father who gave it to her!

 

"HOW COULD YOU GIVE TO THE EMPEROR’S SISTER THE QUEEN’S HAIRPIN!"

 

He ran towards Mi-young, rose his hand and took the hairpin from the Queen’s hair, destroying her bun in the process. It hurt a lot, but Mi-young controlled her feelings: she wasn’t going to get on the same level as an angry kid, she was the adult.

 

"IT WAS HIS BROTHER WHO KILLED OUR MOTHERS!"

 

"Really?!" Ha Yi yelled, shocked about this revelation.

 

"How do you know?" Seung-hyun suddenly asked, trying to analyze the situation and get a proper reaction.

 

"Everyone at court knows about it! You were getting too powerful so the Emperor cut your power by killing mom and Park Bom!"

 

"You’ve lied to me, Mi-young!" Ha Yi screamed, visibly hurt by the revelation."

 

"How can you have fallen for the tricks of a Chinese , father?"

 

Mi-young’s patience arrived at its limit and was about to slap the Crown Prince with all her strength. But it was Seung-hyun’s who did it, and the marks of his fingers were printed on Jeongwan’s cheek.

 

"From now on, you will stay at your chambers. No more meetings, no more training as the Crown Prince, until you apologize to the Queen properly." was all he could think of.

 

When the children got in the palanquin, angry and crying, Mi-young took a horse and ride by Seung-hyun’s side in absolute silence. The King knew that of all the possible reactions he could have had, he had chosen the worst one. And hurt the feelings of two orphan kids who had to grow up without the love of a mother.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"So, the moment has arrived…" Yuri sighed.

 

"I still think you could explain me all these without tying me up, Black Pearl." Taeyeon complained.

 

"You better be in silence, princess."

 

If Taeyeon had to explain how she ended up like that, she wouldn’t have been able to explain it. All she remembered was trying to kill Jiyong by hitting him hard on the head and Yuri opening the door screaming. The rest was all blurry.

 

"Okay, I’ll listen."

 

"Can you leave behind your arrogant attitude for a second?" Yuri complained.

 

"Can you be less aggressive and authoritative for a second, lady Kwon?" Yuri didn’t answer. "Do not expect my respect if you aren’t offering it to me. I’ll listen. Then, told me. Who gave you the order?"

 

Taeyang cleared his throat and drank some water. Apparently, it was going to be him the one in charge to explain everything.

 

"It all started seven years ago. Hyorin, Han-Bin and I were sleeping when a shadow awoke me in the middle of the night…"

 

Taeyang’s story.

 

"Who the hell are you?" I asked.

 

I was sure the shadow that awoke me was of a woman because she was even smaller than me and too skinny to be a man.

 

"I’m Lee Hyori, lord Dong Young Bae."

Everyone in Hanseong (A/N: the old Seoul) knew who Lee Hyori was. Although dark-skinned she was considered the most beautiful gisaeng in the city. We used to hand out outside her house waiting to see her. Even Seung-hyun went with us because we were so marbled by her beauty and talent. Those were good times…

 

---- Interruption ----

 

"Could just continue with the story, Taeyang?" Yuri interrupted. "Not that your adolescence wasn’t fascinating, but, still… we don’t have time for it. Sorry."

 

"Okay, Yuri… I’ll continue."

 

---- Taeyang’s story ----

 

"What are you doing here, lady Hyori?"

 

"Oh! Your friends told me you were a sweet man, but I never expect you to call me lady… how cute!"

 

"What friends?"

 

"A good friend that knows you named your son HanBin as a combination of the names of your deceased mother and your role model in live: scholar Han Wiji, one of the six martyrs."

 

After listening to this, I had to trust her. Only my closest friends back then, Kwon Jiyong, King Seung-hyun, Second Prince Daesung, and scholar Lee SooHyuk knew about it, so, one among then was the responsible of Lee Hyori’s presence in my house.

 

"Your friends told me to hurry up if you want to save Jiyong and your family."

 

"My family?!"

 

"Jiyong has escaped from prison thanks to his younger siblings. And everyone who knows him would be interrogated. You know how many people want to get rid of the Kwons in court, including his friends. I can’t guarantee you and your wife would survive the interrogation under torture."

 

I knew Lee Hyori wasn’t joking about it, so, the instinct to protect my family encouraged me to trust her. I woke up Hyorin and our child and followed Hyori through the sleeping city. A few hours later we found out our house had been assaulted by soldiers and burned.

 

---- Interruption ----

 

"Was my brother the one who gave the order, lord Young Bae?" Taeyeon asked.

 

Taeyang nodded, and the princess couldn’t help but start crying, her head down. It wasn’t a real bow: she was too proud to bow in front of anyone, but, everyone understood what she was trying to say: she was apologizing for her family sins.

 

I always knew my brother prioritized his title as King among anything else. But, I never expected he was this cruel: how could he send soldiers to capture Young Bae, HyoRin and their baby?! I know everyone was questioning his abilities as a ruler, but… I thought I knew him.

 

---- Taeyang’s story ----

 

We were so scared, because, in just a day, we have lost everything. And Hyori was our only chance to survive. We left the city by foot, walking through the forest and hiding when we listened to the horses. We didn’t want to get anyone’s attention and I guess HanBin knew we were in danger because he didn’t cry even once. I have such a nice son. After almost a day without stopping and HanBin getting too exhausted to continue, we arrived at a cave.

 

"What are you doing here, Young Bae?!" Jiyong hugged me.

 

I couldn’t help it but cry. I was so tired and afraid, and, my friend was there alive, comforting me.

 

---- Interruption ----

 

"I’ll always be there for you, Young Bae." Jiyong interrupted the story.

 

"I know, Jiyongie. I know."

 

---- Taeyang’s story ----

 

Yuri and Seungri were also there. So, after we hugged each other and fed HanBin properly, Lee Hyori talked once more.

 

"Your friends know you are innocent, that’s why he ordered me to save you."

 

"But… you are a gisaeng, don’t you? No offenses… but…" Jiyong said.

 

"I work as a gisaeng." and I think the fact of remembering all the men she had to sleep with disgusted her, because her expression was quite nauseating. "But only to give information to my master, the Chief of the Royal Investigation Bureau, Kim HeeChul."

 

"Kim HeeChul?!" I shouted, unable to believe it. "But… he has never spoken to us… why would he…"

 

"Because I asked him to help me, and he accepted." a deep voice, not from the King interrupted.

 

We turned around, and we saw our long friend, Lee SooHyuk.

 

---- The End of Taeyang’s story ----

 

 

"LEE SOOHYUK?! THE FIRST ROYAL SECRETARY?!" Taeyeon went mad. "I MUST RETURN HOME IMMEDIATELY! HE’S GOING TO HURT MY FAMILY! HOW AN ENEMY CAN BE SO CLOSE TO US?!"

 

"Shut up, princess!" Yuri slapped Taeyeon, who stopped her hyperventilation. "You don’t get anything, don’t you?!"

 

Yuri untied Taeyeon and held her hands tightly, not moving her sight even a second. Eyes against eyes.

 

"Lee SooHyuk and Kim HeeChul gave us the chance to start a new life and redeem our sins. Ever since we became the Silver Dragons, we have only attacked ships from concrete targets. Only the ones SooHyuk had told us to attack. All of them were enemies of the Crown or corrupted men allied with the Chinese."

 

"And the Japanese and Thai you attack?" Taeyeon asked.

 

"We can’t be that obvious." Yuri excused. "And the amount of money was indeed interesting…"

 

"But..." and she looked to Jiyong. "Why do you help my brother by ruining his enemies? You hate him."

 

"Of course I hate him! He condemned us to death and stopped the investigations!" Jiyong howled. "But my enemy’s enemy is my friend. Everyone knows the Emperor was the one who gave the order, but we can’t attack him or his allies. Only Choi Seung-hyun has had the guts to contradict him, and he has the power to do it."

 

"I do not understand… why kidnapping his future bride then? Are you that stupid or what, Jiyong?"

 

"Me?! Stupid?! Unbelievable!" he complained. "You see, Young Bae? We reveal her the truth and she still thinks I’m a monster!"

 

"Yes, Jiyongie, yes." but Taeyang didn’t listen to Jiyong’s complaints, the scene between the princess and the pirate were so cute when they argued that it was difficult to pay attention to anything else.

 

"You want the truth, then, you’ll have it." He approached her. "Your arrogant brother didn’t want to marry the Chinese Princess, and the Emperor lost his patient. So, Kim HeeChul’s birds found out the Emperor wanted his sister back at the Forbidden City. For that reason, Lee SooHyuk asked us to kidnap the Chinese princess, so the Emperor couldn’t do it first!"

 

"Are you saying the Emperor wanted to kidnap his own sister?"

 

"Sometimes I wonder if I should follow Lee SooHyuk orders. Both the Emperor and the Joseon King are men blinded by power."

 

"But my brother is a nice man, I know he is!" Taeyeon defended him.

 

"We all know he’s a nice man, princess." Yuri intervened. "But, a lifetime of wealth and power can transform a man, Princess Taeyeon."

 

She was right. After more than twenty years by her side, there was little left of the loving and caring brother she once had. Choi Seung-hyun had become a sad man, who suffered the struggles of power by losing his beloved ones and suffered the consequences. He was a good king, but, the better he was, the more he drifted apart the people he loved. “I’ll help him to see the truth once I go back home.  He can still redeem himself”. Taeyeon thought. “But now, I need to get my answers.”

 

"So, how could Lee SooHyuk give you this Island and a ship?"

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

It was a really hot day. The roads were empty because the humidity and the sun were so suffocating no-one had the courage to travel. Only the small caravans of goods and supplies were on the road. And, of course, Lee SooHyuk.

 

He had to arrive at the boundary before the evening: Kim HeeChul had told him it was urgent. It was the first time in seven years the Chief of the Royal Investigation Bureau told him to hurry up, and he knew he should.

 

"Lord SooHyuk!" the lord of the spies bowed.

 

"Lord HeeChul!" the Royal Secretary did so. "Why such a cryptic message?"

 

"Oh! My good friend! I’ve just found a crucial piece of information to solve the mystery?"

"Really?!" SooHyuk screamed in excitement.

 

"Well… not to completely solve it, but I can feel it will get us closer to the end of our journey."

 

"I hope the Gods listen to you, my friend! What did you find?"

 

Both men started to walk into the sunset. The unbearable hot weather made it difficult for them to advance, but, the more time it passed, the temperature became colder, and they were able to move faster. While in the forest, HeeChul informed SooHyuk.

 

"I wanted you were here, SooHyuk. Your hard work in the shadows must be rewarded."

 

"Also your hard work in the shadows should be rewarded, lord HeeChul."

 

"I am getting more recognition from the Queen and the King than you, I am afraid."

 

"We both know it has to be that way. If the traitors knew I am helping you, I’ll also have the chance to get murdered."

 

"Indeed. One of us has to live so our work would not be in vain."

 

"Then tell me, with so in the north?"

 

"Because one of my most beloved gisaengs had just slept with a few old Korean shepherds."

 

"And…? An old man having ual encounters with a young lady isn’t something I want to imagine in my mind, lord HeeChul."

 

"I know, but, those men talked about a weird shepherd they met years ago."

 

"Weird?"

 

"Because he had a strong Chinese accent and scars all over his face. Scars of a soldier…"

 

"A soldier, a shepherd? That’s strange."

 

"Yes! But the strangest thing was he was a Chinese man pretending to be a Joseon shepherd. Why would the Crown pay a foreigner to do a job for the nation?" There are no registers of a Chinese shepherd working for the kingdom of Joseon."

 

"Really?! And would they testify?"

 

"I am not that sure, they were really afraid of the man. And after listening to his name…"

 

"Wait a second… do you already know the person?!"

 

"Of course I do! You have been terribly late, so I continued with the interrogation!"

 

"Then why did you ask me to come here?!" SooHyuk yelled, considerably annoyed.

 

"Asshhh! Don’t get mad, lord SooHyuk! I have already told you! I want you to get part of this too."

 

"Then thank you, I guess."

 

They arrived at a small village, about three hours on foot of the biggest city in the Northern Provinces:  Pyeongyang. Everyone was getting ready for dinner, so, no-one noticed them: so many things to do before the sunlight disappeared.

 

"You have chosen the best moment, as per usual." SooHyuk commented.

 

They arrived at a humble house, which consisted of a small and single room. There was an old man, with dry lips and skin so dry he had flakes all over his face.

 

"You are back. Late!" the old man yelled.

 

"I am so sorry, sir. But I went to find the authorities. Could you tell the story to this officer? He will be able to do something about it!"

 

The old man tried to get up from the floor, but he was in such a bad condition he wasn’t able. Yet, he crawled on the floor.

 

"He killed my friends, officer! Please, please, please! Find him and bring him to justice!"

 

"Who should I bring to justice, sir?"

 

"That Chinese with pale skin and ugly scars! Huang Qi Zhen!"

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Crown Prince?!" Han Ye Seul exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

 

"Ha Yi has helped me to escape from a palanquin. Long story, aunt."

 

"Your half-sister?" she asked, shocked.

 

"Ha Yi is too cool for a girl, aunt. She can do lots of things."

"Really?" she couldn’t believe a descendant from Park Bom could be “cool”.

 

If the former Royal Consort was known for something, it was for her weird personality. Maybe children liked it, but adults found it strange and unappropriated.

 

"But let’s not talk about your half-sister today, Crown Prince. Why are you here?"

 

"Because you were right, aunt! Aunt Han-Byul and you!"

 

Han Ye Seul waited in expectation for the Crown Prince’s words.

 

"Queen Mi-young is bewitching my siblings and my father! She’s replacing my mother and erasing her from the world!"

 

Jeongwan hugged his aunt with strength, and she had to control her pain and hug him back. She was still recovering from childbirth, after all.

 

"We told you this was about to happen. But, what you did was terribly wrong, Jeongwan!"

 

The Crown Prince was shocked by his aunt’s actions. Usually, she and aunt Han-Byul were caring and understanding. The closest he had ever had to motherly figures. But, this time, she agreed with everyone else.

 

"Do you know what the Third Prince said today to your grandmother, Jeongwan?"

 

"No…"

 

"That he would like to become King so he could order you to stay by his side."

 

"Impossible! He’s just a child!"

 

"You can’t leave the Court, because, if you do, you get the risk of losing your position. What if the Queen has a son? He would be legitimate too, not like Yeon Jun."

 

"What should I do, aunt? I’m scared."

 

"Today you can stay here, you are sad and angry. But promise me something, okay?"

 

"Anything, aunt."

 

"Sometimes the illusion of victory is enough for some people. Apologize to the King and the Queen, return home, and become a strong Crown Prince, alright?"

 

He nodded and cried until he got to sleep. His aunt was caressing his long hair and singing him a lullaby. At midnight one of the servants entered to Han Ye Seul’s chambers.

 

"The king has been informed and thinks is alright for the Crown Prince to stay here a few days. He thanks you kindly for your help."

 

"He’s my nephew, after all."

 

"Should I bring the twins to your chambers, milady?"

 

"Yes! That would be a lovely idea. I want them to get close to Jeongwan." She looked down and smirked to the sleeping child. "Family is the most important thing in the world, after all."

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

"Taeyeon! Wait! Listen!" Jiyong begged.

 

But she wasn’t paying attention on purpose. Instead, she kept walking, even faster than before. So, to stop her, Jiyong run even faster, stop in front of her and she had to pay attention.

 

"Why should I listen to a liar?!"

 

"But I did it to protect you from unnecessary pain, princess!"

 

"Go to hell, Kwon Jiyong!"

 

"I’m a dragon!"

 

"No, you’re not! Dragons are honorable creatures, !"

 

"That tongue princess!"

 

"Why didn’t you tell me the truth, eh?" and she collapsed on the floor, crying.

 

"Do not cry again, princess!"

 

When Sandara cried after a sad day and Jiyong observed her through the distance, his heart hurt as if he was the one suffering her pain. This time, he was also suffering for Taeyeon. And, he knew his feelings for the princess were real. He didn’t need the reflection time Young Bae recommended him to take: he could not deny his feelings nor find excuses for them. He just loved her.

 

For that reason, seeing her so sad and crying hurt him, and tried to make her speak, in order to console her and ease her pain.

 

"Why are you crying?"

 

"Because I trapped in this stupid Island, you, stupid man!"

 

"And?" it hurt to know she didn’t want to be there with him, but Jiyong let her continue.

 

"AND?! I thought you wanted to kidnap Mi-young to get money, not to protect her from the Chinese Emperor! Before I thought you were just bad people, now that you have reasons behind your actions it makes it even scarier. THE EMPEROR WANTS TO ATTACK MY FAMILY ONCE MORE AND I AM NOT WITH THEM TO FIGHT AGAINST HIM! How can I not cry, Kwon Jiyong?"

 

Jiyong looked the stars for a second, asking the Gods for some orientation. But he knew he had to do the right thing. His original plan was to keep Taeyeon safe at the Oryendo Island, until the Emperor attacked. But… he loved her and couldn’t go against her will.

 

"After the monsoon season is over, we’ll send you back home, princess. No rewards."

 

Taeyeon stopped crying and opened her eyes so much they seemed to bug out of her head.

 

"Really?"

 

"Really."

 

"Oh… Kwon Jiyong… thank you!"

 

Taeyeon hugged Jiyong tightly and cried once more. But sometimes tears aren’t a sign of sadness, but of joy. And, at that moment, Taeyeon couldn’t feel happier and more thankful.

 

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"I don’t like the fact that we are having frequent meetings once more." one of the shadows said. "If they see us, they’ll get suspicious."

 

"I know." Huang Zitao bowed. "But my Queen is getting quite annoying with all this investigation. She has found the shepherd’s registers."

 

"Really?!" the second shadow asked. "Why am I the last one to get informed?! I demand an explanation!"

 

"Of course you’re always the last to get informed." the third shadow intervened. "You are nothing but a man who got lucky because of a woman."

 

"And what are you exactly now?" the second shadow reminded to the third one. "I don’t think you’re in the best position."

 

"STOP!" the first shadow ordered, and everyone got silent. "She’s going to discover your relation with everything, Huang Zitao."

 

"I am safe."

 

Why are you so sure?" the second shadow, who was very nervous, questioned. "Do not be so cocky, Huang Zitao."

 

"I’m sure because Queen Mi-young thinks I’m ashamed of my father’s sins, and she tends to trust miserable people."

"We need to be faster and continue with our plan to kill the Crown Prince." the third shadow suggested.

 

"Why are you so anxious about it?" the second shadow asked. "He’s a nice and sweet boy." the shadow felt sorry for the boy.

 

"Because although Crown Prince Jeongwan is a charming boy, he’s an obstacle for our purposes."

 

"The Emperor needs us more than ever." Huang Zitao affirmed.

 

"Then we shall proceed and kill the Crown Prince before the end of the month." the first shadow affirmed. "Do we have an agreement?

 

And the other people at the secret meeting nodded, giving Crown Prince Jeongwan an imminent death sentence.

 

 

 

 

_________________________________

 

So, the episode is over! Will be Kim HeeChul and Lee SooHyuk able to inform the Queen before the Crown Prince is murdered? Will Taeyeon be able to return home and save her family? Is Jeongwan going to make amenses with his father and step-mother before is too late for him? Who are the three shadows?

 

A/N: First of all, I’ll explain something about my story: I have placed subtle messages through the chapters about the ending of the story. Everything’s already there. But, today, let’s sum up about the bad people, the three shadows:

  • They are three.
  • They want the Crown Prince death and they failed once.
  • They have the support of the Chinese Emperor.
  • They had the help of Huang Qi Zhen the first time. Now is Huang Zitao (Mi-young’s Security Chief) who’s helping them. And now Kim HeeChul and Lee SooHyuk know the connection.
  • After killing Park Bom and Park Sandara, they incriminated the Kwon family to get free.
  • They have already been presented in the story.
  • I put hints of it through the story. And I’ll prove it now xD

Since it is quite difficult to remember the details from the chapters, I’ll just make you remember this.

  • In chapter 3, Lee Hyori (who now lives with the Silver Dragons in their island) was working as a spy for Kim Heechul. And, in chapter 3 Kim Heechul says to her: "Follow the Kwon family and take your daughter with you. Lee SooHyuk will help you."

 

  • In chapter 4, Lee Hyori meets the Kwons in a cave and proposes them to escape. She wasn’t the one in charge of the plan…  And now I explain this clear: Lee SooHyuk and Kim Heechul knew Kwon Jiyong wasn’t guilty of his accusations and know someone else in the palace is the responsible of Park Bom and Park Sandara’s deaths. But, since they couldn’t prove it, they risked their lives and positions to give the Kwons an alternative. That’s why Lee SooHyuk designed the ship called the Silver Dragon and Kim Heechul financed the project. Meanwhile, they remind near the King and in court because they want to find the real culprits. Once they discovered the Emperor wanted to kidnap her own sister, they ordered the Silver Dragons to kidnap her so he couldn't harm anyone.
    • If they aren’t the coolest people on earth I don’t know who else can be.

 

 

Secondly, from now on, there will be slight references to things that happened in previous chapters, so, I’ll use the Author’s notes to make you remember the chapters and the quotes.

 

 

Thirdly, a new Hint of History! During the mid-Joseon dynasty, two types of artworks got more transcending than the rest: the Joseon ceramics and the realistic landscapes. When we think about old Asian history and art we think about landscapes and watercolors with yellow and green colors. But, during the mid-Joseon dynasty, the type of traditional landscape developed towards a more realistic one. And in China, they kept their traditional and idealistic style. The painter Mi-young has mentioned in the chapter was a real one if you want more references just put on your Internet researcher: Kim Myeong-guk.  

And as for Mi-young’s hairpin. The yongjam is a hairpin with a dragon-shaped form, made of gold and jewels, only reserved for the Queen of Joseon. No other woman could ever wear it. And, by offering it to Mi-young, Seung-hyun has officially accepted her as the rightful Queen of Joseon.

The six martyrs of Joseon were members of the Hall of Worthies, a group of intellectual and talented men who helped King Sejeong the Great of Joseon to create the hangul (the Korean alphabet). He was murdered when he tried plotted to kill a usurper of the Joseon throne, years after the death of King Sejeong. As a scholar, Young Bae admired them deeply.

 

 

And last, but not least… Thank you to all my fellow subscribers who had been following even after my long breaks. I started to write this fanfic because I left my country to continue my studies (I couldn’t do what I wanted in my homeland). Let’s say it’s related to history: that’s why I make some research because I can’t stand inaccuracy in history.

I use this fanfic as a way to disconnect from the bad moments and keep in touch with one of my passions: Asian history. Your support, subscriptions, and comments had encouraged me to work harder on this story, keep doing research and face my life far away from my family with a more positive approach.

That’s why this chapter is extra-long because I wanted to thank you all and to give you a late Christmas gift. My longest chapter ever! And the one who marks that we have passed more than the half of this story. Time flies!

 

Kisses and hugs!

 

Rehtse 7.