The Dowager Queen.

The Silver Dragons

Chapter 12. The Dowager Queen.

 

 

For almost a week, Taeyeon’s routine developed more or less the same: since Kim Jong Hyun wasn’t able to move his hand and she felt guilty, she started to do all the maintenance work for him. Followed by his instructions and infinite patience, she greased pulleys, sewed flags and checked all the corners of the ship were properly caulked. It was a tough job, and Chaerin criticized her for doing it so thoroughly.

 

"Do I have to remind you that you had been kidnaped, princess?"

 

"I know, Chaerin."

 

"Then… what are you doing? You should be complaining all day long and demanding our freedom!"

 

Chaerin showed to Taeyeon her chains, and how her wrists were hurt because of them. She looked hurt, and the guilt went over Taeyeon’s body.

 

"I know… but…"

 

"BUT WHAT?!"

 

"Can you trust me, Chaerin?" the princess whispered.

 

Princess Choi Taeyeon had never been an authoritative figure in court, she didn't have the talent to intimidate. But, that time, she radiated confidence and strength, and Chaerin couldn’t feel prouder of her. Always the perfect princess: shy, solitary, never merged in political issues, never questioning her brothers’ will, never complaining about anything. It was interesting, to see her rebelling for once.

 

"Yes."

 

"Good. Then let me continue."

 

Taeyeon took her bucket and left the room, determined to continue with her mission. Maybe she was a spoiled princess, but she actually paid attention when her family talked about politics during their meals together, especially her beloved mother, Dowager Queen Uhm Jung Hwa. She was a strong woman and no-one dared to question her authority. She had always encouraged Taeyeon to read the Art of War by Sun Tzu, because she thought “although we should hate them, the Chinese also have some good things, and we can benefit from them”.  And her mother always repeated the same quote:

 

«It is the rule in war: if the enemies’ strength is equal, engage them. And build your enemy a golden bridge to retreat across».

 

Some noblemen thought those lessons weren’t appropriate for a young and well-bred lady. But, Queen Uhm Jung Hwa thought otherwise and instructed Taeyeon since she was able to walk.

 

The memories of her mother made Taeyeon sad, and her expression faded.

 

"Oh! Princess, are you alright?"

 

Arisa Yagi, the young lady they saved from a convenience marriage, approached Taeyeon, with a bright smile on her face. She was followed by the beautiful Son Na-Eun, the daughter of a rich Korean merchant.

 

"Yes, Lady Arisa."

 

"Do not call me lady, princess!" she blushed. "When I decided to leave my family behind I left that title too."

 

The happiness she expressed while affirming it terrified Taeyeon. “How can a woman feel so happy about leaving her clan and pride for a man?” she thought. The princess couldn’t understand.

 

"Alright, lady Arisa."

 

"Arisa would be fine, princess."

 

"Then Taeyeon would be fine, too."

 

Both ladies gaped to each other, shocked at Taeyeon’s words.

 

"But… you are a Joseon Princess!"

 

"Now, I’m a member of the maintenance crew!" she showed them her bucket and both girls laughed.

 

The three girls exchanged gossips and thoughts while Taeyeon tried to sew some vails. Both Arisa and Na-eun offered her their help, because they saw the princess was doing a huge mess.

 

"I normally paint and elaborate ceramics at the Palace. I hate embroidery, but Princess Mi-young has a natural talent for it, I envy her."

 

"Who is Princess Mi-young?" Arisa asked.

 

"She’s my eldest brother’s fiancée and friend. She’s the half-sister of the Chinese Emperor, Qing Geng."  

 

"Was she the girl you replaced, princess Taeyeon?"

 

"Just Taeyeon, Arisa."

 

"We can’t, princess."

 

Taeyeon sighed and tried to answer.

 

"Yes, I replaced her."

 

"Why would you do that for a Chinese?" Na-Eun asked. As the daughter of a merchant, they suffered a lot from the Chinese Pirates attacks, so she couldn’t stand them.

 

"Because she’s special. A real sweet and hard-working girl who was left alone at a foreign court."

 

"But you were forced to go to the Forbidden City…" Arisa reminded her.

 

"In fact, it was my choice."

 

"WHY WOULD YOU CHOOSE THAT?!" both girls exclaimed.

 

"That way I could be useful to my family, and stop being a simple ornament."

 

That had always been Taeyeon’s biggest fear: to perish inside the Palace’s gates, unable to be useful and do something fulfilling with her life. At least, at the Forbidden City she might be able to create a strong Korean faction, something similar as the legendary Empress Ki created during the Yuan Dinasty. Maybe, with some Korean influence inside the Chinese court, the constant pressure to a nation recovering from terrible invasions would decrease. And that way she would help her brothers to achieve their largest dream: make Joseon prosper and strong once more.

 

Both Arisa and Na-eun realized it wasn’t the right moment for the princess to speak about those issues: they could see it was painful for her.

 

"That’s really brave!"

 

In order to change the subject, the girls explained to Taeyeon they were childhood friends and they met on a ship direction to Karatsu after leaving Joseon, a few weeks after the former Queen, Park Sandara, had died. Both lived for a while at the capital with their parents. Arisa in order to avoid the Japanese Emperor (he was trying to kill her father), Na-eun just for the family business.

 

"We once saw your brother, Second Prince Daesung." Na-Eun explained. "He was so gentle, listening to the people’s complaints. And he actually did something for them!"

 

"He’s really sweet, my Daesungie" and, once more, Taeyeon’s expression turned sad. “How much I miss you, brother!” she thought.

 

"Sorry, princess! We made you sad once more!"

 

"Again… Arisa. It’s Taeyeon! Don’t you see I’m in charge of the maintenance?!" she screamed, slightly angered. "Well, until Kwon Jiyong thinks I have to return to my dungeon" and she fumed.

 

"Is that dungeon too uncomfortable, princess?"

 

"It’s Taeyeon, Arisa. We are the same age!"

 

"Okay… Taeyeon" and she said it as if it was a bad word she shouldn’t have told.

 

Great! They trust me a little. Let’s see how much I can get.” Taeyeon thought.

 

"Well, it has been worse for Chaerin, you know. All day chained and unable to breathe fresh air!"

 

"Really?! That’s too much!" Na-eun exclaimed, outraged.

 

"I know, right?" Taeyeon continued. "She can’t escape because we are in the middle of the sea… so, why chained that way?"

 

"The Silver Dragons are living legends all over the Oriental Seas because everyone thinks they are men of honor" Arisa informed. "Even my father admires them because of their noble principles. I’m shocked."

 

"That shocked me, too" Taeyeon added.

 

"Do not worry princess; we are going to talk about Key and Taemin, to see if there’s something it can be done."

 

"PRINCESS TAEYEON! YOU SHOULD BE WORKING!" Jiyong scolded her.

 

"Yes! See you!"

 

Taeyeon left the two girls, once more, marveled by her mother’s wisdom. And, with all her heart, she looked to the blue sky, and prayed to the Gods, hoping they would be able to tell her mother she was alright.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

A warm feeling went all over her body, and the strange sensation filled Uhm Jung Hwa with hope. She couldn’t explain how, but somehow the Gods confirmed her that her little one was alive.

 

After the terrible news lord Park Sang-Hyun gave them a few hours earlier, she feared for the worst. Of course he had to be punished for his incompetence, but, at that moment, she only wished to rest in her chambers, alone, where she could express her grief freely. Neither judgments nor gossips.

 

"Eomeonim…"

 

Jung Hwa could see the shadow of his second son, patiently waiting for her permission to enter. He had always been the sweetest thing, her beloved second son.

 

"You can enter, my son."

 

Daesung was the living image of his father: both in looks and personality. He was a loyal and trustworthy son, with the lack of presence needed to be King. Luckily, he had the perfect personality to be a second son. She knew he would never dare to betray his older brother, and that they will work just fine as a solid team until their last days. Every day, she thanked the Gods because they were kind enough to made Seung-hyun born before Daesung. If not, she might have buried a child.

 

"Is Seung-hyun coming?"

 

"Yes, with the Queen."

 

"That impolite little woman. She never stays the established amount of time for the morning greetings!"

 

She fumed, remembering the situation. It was tradition that each morning the Queen would eat breakfast with the Dowager Queen, so she could instruct the new mother of the nation about everything. But that Chinese-Korean girl listened no-one. It was just as her Seung-hyun. “But don’t worry, Queen Mi-young, I’ll find a way to influence you, just as I’d found one with Seung-hyun” she thought.

 

"At least she does it eomeonim. Remember how former Queen Sandara was unable to visit you because she was always too fragile and sad."

 

"You have a point, my son."

 

"Give her time, mother. She needs to fully assume her position. Once she’s used to it, she’ll have more time to visit you."

 

"It’s just that I’m afraid our antecessors would punish her by making her barren. Because she doesn’t follow the protocols."

 

"Is not necessary that I have more children, eomeonim."

 

King Seung-hyun entered the room though one of their secret corridors. As he always did. Jung Hwa lost count of how many times she scolded him because of that: it was a clear invasion of privacy. But, her eldest was just like her: proud, stubborn and slightly arrogant. Not that she complained: she couldn’t be prouder of him. Her pride and mark in the world. Because she was sure his son will be a king future scholars would study and use as an example to instruct new Crown Princes and Kings. And it wasn’t her motherly side what was speaking.

 

"Hyeongnim."

 

"Son."

 

And both Daesung and Jung Hwa bowed. Followed by the usual “it is unnecessary for you to do that in private, mother, dongseng.”

 

"I do this because today we have to talk about a delicate State issue, my son."

 

"I know, eomeonim."

 

"Where is your wife?"

 

"With Second Princess Hayi, eomeonim."

 

"At least she’s trying to be a proper step-mother for the Royal Children. Because, Seung-hyun… I don’t know you how many times I have to repeat it to you but she doesn’t spend the correct amount of time in my palace."

 

"I know eomeonim, I will speak with her. Promise."

 

"I do not want your promises, son. I want facts. As always. Understood?"

 

"Of course, eomeonim."

 

"Good."

 

"The Queen is here, Dowager Queen." one of the maids informed.

 

"Let her enter."

 

The Dowager Queen had to admit Qing Mi-young had a charming aura and you can automatically sense she will only follow your orders if her high sense of justice allowed her to do so. For the first years she lived in the Palace she seemed an innocent and naïve young princess, but when she had been crowded Queen, she showed her true nature, and it was the same as her son. “Better to be careful with this one.”

 

As the protocol suggested, Jung Hwa started a colloquial chat: nothing too serious. Normally, the health and education of the Royal Children was a good issue to keep a flowing conversation for a decent amount of time. And, luckily, by the time she run out of words, the two State Councilors announced their presence.

 

"I had asked the State Councilors to join us. First Princess Taeyeon situation is an affair of state."

 

The tension between the two State Councilors could be felt in the air, and, although Second Prince Daesung was in the middle, balancing the energy, the bad karma filled the room.

 

"Your Royals… I think we could start with General’s Park Sang-Hyun’s punishment. Banishment from court would be a proper sentence" Park Sung-Woo (Bom’s father) suggested.

 

Left state Councilor, Park Hong-jun (Sandara and the Thunder’ older brother), had to control his wrath a lot. He was angry, not only with his nemesis, Park Sung-Woo, but also with his younger brother: his incompetence had cost to their clan a lot of power.

 

"You are right, Right State Councilor." the King affirmed. "He’s too talented to be absolutely dismissed from Court." the King sentenced: he wouldn't give Bom's father the pleasure to get a better position in court. 

 

"But his incompetence must be punished, son."

 

Dowager Queen Uhm Jung Hwa detested the constant conflict and tension they suffered due to the constant frictions between the Parks of the East and the West. So, she was always in the middle, trying to make them lose power and influence: and right now, she supported Park Sung-Woo.

 

"I will reflect about it and give you an answer as soon as possible."

 

"May I suggest something, my King?" the Queen intervened.

 

"You are not allowed to speak if your husband does not say otherwise, Queen Mi-young. It was explained at the protocol rules I sent you last week."

 

"Sorry, Dowager Queen. It is still difficult for me to read Korean using Chinese characters."

 

Of course is not difficult for you”, the Dowager Queen though, “but it’s convenient for you to use that good excuse”.

 

"You are allowed to speak, my Queen."

 

Mi-young had to control her wish to smile, because, it was a huge advancement. With this sentence, the King himself was allowing her a small position of power inside the court. They hadn’t spoken after that night or shared the same room since then, but, maybe, just maybe her determination to work hard had caused some positive effect on the opinion the King had.

 

"I would suggest a different position for lord Park Sang-Hyun. He has proven to be an excellent warrior, the best sword of Joseon. So… why doesn’t he become your General Security Chief, my King? Lord Lee, lady Chaerin’ father, has expressed his wish to retire and help our soldiers to find his daughter."

 

The Dowager Queen was marveled by her daughter-in-law’s idea. It was so appropriate she was surprised she didn’t get the idea herself. That way, the Parks of the East lost some influence inside the army, but not enough power inside the court to consider a new attack after this decision. After all, they will still be close to the king.

 

"Honestly, son. I think that, according to the circumstances, it is the best option we have."

 

Uhm Jung Hwa liked to have control of everything and be the one with the best answers. But, her unquestionable authority in court had increased also, because she was able to accept brilliant ideas from others. After all, the great leaders weren’t the ones who had won more wars, but the ones able to avoid them (and get some benefit from them).

 

"Let’s do that, then."

 

"What a good idea, your majesty!" Park Sung-woo flattered. "You are surrounded by wise women."

 

"Indeed, Right State Councilor. And… about my sister… it is very strange that the Dragon decided to kidnap Qing Mi-young rather than my sister when he had the chance. He wants to get revenge of our family. I don't unterstand why he didn't chose Taeyeon as her main goal. The Queen wasn't even in Joseon when..."

 

It was still really painful for him, to talk about Bom's death. Seung-hyun's hear hurt everytime he remember that terrible night.

 

"Very strange, indeed." Uhm Jung Hwa affirmed and looked bitterly to Mi-young. After all, if the girls hadn’t swapped places, right now she will be embracing her only daughter. 

 

"I think it will be wise to increase our amount of money and maybe a general pardon from some of the Silver Dragons if they tell us who hired them…"

 

"I CANNOT ACCEPT THAT!" Uhm Jung Hwa screamed, and the full room went silent, due to fear. "SHE IS MY ONLY DAUGHTER, MY BABY! And they took her away from me: no forgiveness! Just death for them! If you pardon them, what kind of respect our people would have for the Royal Family?"

 

"But, your majesty… our priority is to get Princess Taeyeon back." Park Hong-jun said. "Right?!"

 

"Of course is my priority! IS MY DAUGHTER! But, I just don’t want to negotiate with them. I want them death, with my daughter back in my arms."

 

"According to Park Sang-Hyun and Major General Park Dong-wook, the monsoon has started" Second Prince Daesung informed. "And it is probable they are returning to their base in order to repair their ship and recover until the rain season is over."

 

"That’s going to be months!" the Dowager Queen yelled.

 

"But it gives us time to find them. According to Park Sang-Hyun’s report, they were taking direction towards China and their ship will need reparations. Specially their hull."

 

"Why their hull?" King Seung-hyun, who listened carefully to his brother.

 

"They disguised their hull with silver and black painting in order to make it resemble the ocean waves. And the silver pigment was quite damaged. I'll investigate where they get the pigment, it isn't quite common."

 

"Then that’s why they are called the Silver Dragons, then" the King looked at her mother. "Do you agree with Second Prince’s suggestion, eomeonim? We will keep the rescue offer and even increase it, but, at the same time, we will look for their suppliers in order to find their hiding place."

 

Uhm Jung Hwa felt happy to see their children trying to please her, and doing the best they could to protect Taeyeon. Since they were little, her only wish was they wouldn’t end like her brother-in-law, who treated her husband and was murdered. No, the Royal Children need to have strong bonds, because, if they weren’t, they will be at the scholar’s mercy.

 

"I will send your uncle then. Lord Uhm Tae-woong has no mercy. He’s ruthless, but efficient. Do you agree, my son?" she asked to the King.

 

"I accept that. Then, we shall retire and ask a scribe to write everything down. Let the women start their rituals."

 

All men left the room, leaving the two women alone with their maids.

 

"So…" and the Dowager Queen sat closer to Mi-young, a cold and terrifying smile on . "My birds told me you were not present last week because you were too busy getting alliances."

 

"Well…"

 

"Do not lie to me, okay? I always find the truth..." she whispered. "Please. A simple yes would be enough."

 

She was so close, whispering, with her creepy expression on her face… it was really intimidating, as if she was able to attack and kill Mi-young in just one second. She approached even more, her hand on Mi-young’s shoulder, and so close to the ear she got shivers.

 

"I accept you have your own allies because you are a Queen and you need them. You remind me of me… how cute…" and she giggled.

 

Suddenly, Jung Hwa changed her expression, and Mi-young could see where Seung-hyun inherited his deep and intimidating sight. She had such a poker face on the rest of her face that not even a single wrinkle was made. The Dowager Queen seemed a porcelain doll.

 

"You can do as you please because I can see you have a talent and you listen to the First Palace Lady’s advises. This is wise. I will trust you. But, or you respect the family rituals and come here once a day to get some advice about the administration, or I assure you will lose all your alliances, one by one. I will not tolerate your negligence because it might cause an evil eye to MY children. Is it enough clear, my daughter?"

 

Mi-young glopped, because was so dry she couldn’t pronounce any words. Once she calmed a little, she answered. The Dowager Queen seemed wrauthful, but glowed in pride because she achieved her goal: to put the Queen at her correct place in the Palace. There was nothing more to say that day, so, Jung Hwa whispered once more:

 

"You can leave now."

 

"As you wish, mother." and she vowed in front of the Dowager Queen, before leaving, as fast as she could.

 

"Milady, don’t you think you have been too intimidating?" Jung Hwa’s first maid asked.

 

"Of course. She’s the mother of the nation and needs to understand that the nation comes first than her personal interests."

 

"You are right, Dowager Queen. Forgive me."

 

"As always."

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

After a full day without stopping (well, only once to pee, but, Taeyeon was human too), the princess left she had lost all the skin in her hands. Her once soft hands were now full of callosity. However, she didn’t mind it at all. She was doing a difficult and challenging task that kept her thoughts buried, so she couldn’t think about her actual truth: she had been kidnapped, and, after the sudden attack of the Joseon Navy, she was sure the Silver Dragons would take their time to reconsider how to get their money without risks. And that meant she would be away from home even longer.

 

When Taeyeon entered the small “room” she was sharing with Chaerin, some arms surrounded her. At first, her instinctive act was to fight and scream, but, suddenly, she realized those arms where familiar and those soft hands couldn’t be mistaken.

 

"Chaerin! You no longer have chains!" and she returned the hug.

 

"Yes, if I neither try to escape nor fight with someone I will be fine. Although the Dragon told me Yuri will be my shadow whenever I go."

 

"Come, sit down, I shall massage your hands after so many days chained."

 

"You do not have to, Taeyeon."

 

But the princess placed her hand firmly on Chaerin’s shoulder, forcing her to sit down on the small mattress they shared. After they returned to the Silver Dragon, Jiyong decided to give their “guests” a small space at their hold. So, they emptied the winey and gave that small space to the ladies.

 

"Of course I have to. You were in that situation because of me, Chaerin."

 

Taeyeon usually massaged her mother’s hands because she suffered a strange disease that made them shake unintentionally. And there, with Chaerin, for an instant, she thought they were back at the palace, talking with her mother about nonsenses.  But Taeyeon wasn’t at home, and the sweet words she exchanged with the Dowager Queen were replaced by a comfortable silence.

 

"Thank you, Taeyeon."

 

"It is just a massage."

 

"Silly! Is for everything."

 

"Thank you too, Chaerin. I don’t know how I would have survived if it wasn’t for you, my friend."

 

"You would have survived. You are more capable than you think."

 

But Taeyeon didn’t respond to her friend’s comment, and focused on the hands. It always shocked her, to see how although Chaerin was always training, her hands were softer than hers. Sometimes ancestors were kind to their descendants, giving them some precious gifts.

 

"Let’s get some sleep, Chaerin. I am exhausted!"

 

"Tomorrow I will help you with your work. Somehow, it has improved our situation."

 

"I told you to trust me."

 

Chaerin was blinking, because, although it was a very small change, Taeyeon was looking more radiant than before. Maybe because it was the first time she was able to be useful, but she seemed a more competent princess than before. A princess, who would be able to leave behind her naïve nature and survive at the dangerous Forbidden City. Only if they were able to return home safe.

 

"I will never doubt your intentions again."

 

Suddenly, the screaming voice of the Dragon startled the girls, and, suddenly, he entered to their small room.

 

"What had you done in my chambers?!" Jiyong glared Taeyeon with rage.

 

"I thought it would be nice for you to have some pinky details at your bays."

 

"Of all colors… PINK?! Haven’t I been merciful with you and your friend?! PINK?!"

 

Chaerin couldn’t believe her eyes: Taeyeon had the cheek to annoy another human being?! That was impossible, she was never like that. Well, she only did those types of things to people who were really precious for her. But Chaerin was certain the Dragon wasn’t one of them. Chaerin could clearly remember how once Taeyeon pretended to be dead so when she entered the room so she would scream and faint. Apparently, it was Crown Prince Seung-hyun’s idea.

 

"You will have to fix it. Now" he commanded.

 

"I want to sleep." and Taeyeon rubbed her eyes."

 

"Or you fix it now, or I will chain your friend once more. Promise."

 

The princess approached to Jiyong and slightly bowed. 

 

"Thank you for unchaining my friend, Kwon Jiyong."

 

He unchained Chaerin because he thought it was inhuman, not to please her. But, her wide smile and honest gratitude startled him, to the point he couldn’t stand the princess look not only for a few seconds. She was too cute and beautiful when she smiled like that, so, did the only thing he could do when Taeyeon disturbed his inner peace: annoy her.

 

"It’s the Dragon, spoiled princess."

 

"You are no Dragon" and she frown her face, slightly angry. "The Dragons are honorable creatures." Taeyeon approached him for a second, a little too close for Jiyong's comfort. "But today, you are a little closer to the dragons, Kwon Jiyong. See you, Chaerin,! Sleep well because I don't know when I'll finish this idiot's windows!"

 

Taeyeon took her bucket with all her tools and, with disdain; she left the room, followed immediately by the captain.

 

"I'm not idiot, you, spoiled princess!- and his complaints where lost." 

 

"Those two…" Chaerin stood alone in the chamber, confused. "Did I miss something?"

 

 

 

 

_____________________

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: another chapter has arrived! I know there aren’t lots of Top-Fanny and Gtae moments, but I just had to introduce this character and to deep a little more into Taeyeon’s feelings.

On one hand, she wishes to go home and stay with her family; but, on the other hand, she has always been the spoiled and protected princess. You only have to see how her mother, a woman that can be really scary, mention her as her “little one”: because Taeyeon had a spoiled childhood (I tried to show that in the first chapters) and was isolated from the rest of the world. Now that she’s out (maybe not for the reasons she’d wished), she realized she’s been a burden to everyone: Chaerin, Jiyong, Yuri, her brothers, her mother… everyone had always protected her. And she’s fighting for her freedom: the freedom to make her own mistakes, the freedom to be useful for the others. With her own style: she isn’t a great warrior, politician or strategist, but has determination to continue.

That’s how I personally see Kim Taeyeon. Of course she’s a talented woman, but, for me, her determination it what makes her shine.