The death sentence.

The Silver Dragons

Chapter 22. The death sentence.

 

 

The Thunder had left Jonghyun body clean and ready for a burial. And they had got ready MinHo’s ashes inside a beautiful urn that held a note:

 

Since you have helped us to defeat the Right State Councilor and your men had proven to be brave, I will not haunt you for a few days, Jiyong, so you can bury your friends properly. I did not enjoy arresting the other Silver Dragons, but I had direct orders. Since they had helped the Royal Family, I promise you with my life, former Major General, that they will receive a fair trial, and I will intervene to defend them, so no one would get executed. They do not deserve that fate. I am truly sorry for your loss, lord Kwon Jiyong.

 

The thunder was an honorable man that was able to even respect his enemies. When Jiyong used to be a Major General of the Navy and took lord Sang-hyun as his pupil, he already appreciated those strong values and morals in the boy. “I guessed he has kept those extraordinary qualities.” Jiyong thought while putting away the note. He was the male version of Sandara, both physically and morally.

 

"We should start digging." Taeyeon proposed.

 

They were in the middle of the forest, near a beautiful lake nobody seemed to know it was there. And for those reasons, it was the best place to put the tombs of the friends they had lost, near the water, in peace. Jiyong requested to his companions, Chaerin and Taeyeon, to let him dig their graves alone.

 

"It is the last thing I can do for them."

 

The ladies respected his wish and left him alone while they went to search for something to eat.

 

"Will he be alright, Chaerin?" 

 

"He needs that moment, Taeyeon." and both women decided to let him express his grieve the best way he could.

 

They had found a big shovel between the villa’s remainders and decided it would be a good idea to take it. But Jiyong felt he needed to dig with his bare hands, so, although he started to bleed, he kept digging without hesitation. The cold snow and soil made him shiver, but he never felt more awake and focus in his whole life. Nothing else was important, just the constant movement, up and down, of his hands. Once he had finished building the three tombs, it was dark night once again. Carefully, he took his friends and placed them on the ground. He had covered them with some of the clothes remaining at the villa. Somehow, he wished they were thick enough to warm them on that new journey they had to walk without him by their side.

 

"How stupid… they do not feel anything anymore."

 

He was about to cover them up when Taeyeon interrupted him.

 

"We have made some kind of board with bamboo and twigs… to protect them from animals."

 

Chaerin showed him the boards, who were tightening together with small pieces of their coats. He felt really grateful for how well the ladies were acting with him: not too bothersome to make him feel even worse, but also there when he needed them.

 

"Let me put them, Jiyong." Chaerin offered.

 

He nodded and let Chaerin finish the work. He couldn’t stop watching their tombs, and every time she poured over some soil, an invisible needle stabled his heart. He must have been crying because he could feel Taeyeon’s hands wiping off his tears. Although the temperatures were freezing, her hands were warm and soft, and, with that simple human contact, Jiyong cracked.

 

"They meant everything to me… Taeyeon… what am I going to do without them? I am useless… " 

 

"No, you aren’t."

 

She took his hands and started to clean the dry blood. He had been so concentrated that he hadn’t noticed his fingertips were in flesh and blood after the effort. Taeyeon didn’t say a word, she just kept everything casual, but, after a while, when his urge to cry again controlled his emotions, she spoke.

 

"What we need to do now is go to lady Hyori’s villa and take care of your wounds." 

 

"The others… " 

 

"You have read the letter, they will get a fair trial. And trials take over a month to prepare… you cannot help them if you are not at your best. And you know that, Jiyong." 

 

"How are we going to get to Hyori’s house? It is downtown, and with the Silver Dragons in prison, they will increase security." 

 

"Well, today is your lucky day, because, it seems you are with two women, one of them called the Baddest female for a reason, who had already been able to slip away from Hanseong."

 

For the first time in the last twenty-four hours, Jiyong smiled a little and Taeyeon was happy that Jiyong was coming back from the dark place he had been. She knew he was a sensitive man, who loved his beloved ones with so much intensity that words could not describe the feeling.

 

"It’s done." Chaerin informed.

 

Jiyong looked at the now covered graves and cried once more. When he was in the army, soldiers used to say men couldn’t cry, because it was a sign of weakness. But he didn’t like that argument. On the contrary, crying showed that he had emotions and that those emotions were what gave him the courage to carry on. He approached the tombs and looked around. The sun was rising and gave that place an ethereal appearance, quite similar to the one they had on their island. It was a nice place to rest for the whole eternity in peace, with nothing else to worry about.

 

"I promise I will come back when our enemies had fallen."

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"HE HAS WHAAAT?!"

 

Mi-young got out of her chambers and started to run through the palace, towards her husband’s office. Her maids were begging her to slow down because they could not follow her. But the Queen didn’t care: all she wanted to do is arrive at her destination, and shout a little bit to a certain stupid king. She didn’t even bother to let the guards announce her presence. Without permission, she opened the doors and saw all the State Council reunited. Everyone greeted the Queen properly, but Seung-hyun didn’t move, not even to blink. Not a single Queen in the history of Joseon had dared to interrupt a High Council.

 

"We need to talk, my King. In private." 

 

"Your Highness, we were discussing the new situation." lord Soo-Hyuk informed her. "We are deciding how we are going to act now that the Right State Councilor has been arrested for high treason…" 

 

"I just don’t ing care about that now! MY situation is far more important than that!"

 

All the men in the room dropped their jaws and opened their eyes wide open, because the Queen, who had always proven to be the perfect image of what the Mother of a Nation should be, had surprised them with her vulgar language.

 

"Are you going to move or should I call lady Kwon Bo Ah to kill you all? You know she could."

 

Everyone looked at the king, who nodded giving them the permission to leave the room. Once they were away, Mi-young sneaked through the door with her head, verifying no one was near them to listen…

 

"My Queen… what…?" 

 

"Just shush and listen, my King." Mi-young covered his mouth. "Do whatever it takes, but send the Silver Dragons to the local prison, and not the high-security one at the Joseon Army headquarters. They cannot be tortured to get information, Seung-hyun. Say that lord Park Sung-woo is a priority or something… "

 

"Whyyyy?" he said with his mouth covered.

 

Mi-young took a deep breath before starting to speak: it had been killing her inside the fact that she couldn’t tell him the truth about the Silver Dragons in Joseon, but, as Taeyeon, she feared Seung-hyun’s rage and actions if he knew.

 

"It might be slightly possible… you know… that…"Mi-young gave him the runaround." … maybe… Your sister and I..." she took a deep breath. "havehelpedthesilverdragonstorescuelordheechulandiamsorrybutihadnochoice."

 

Seung-hyun took off Mi-young’s hand from his mouth and stared at his wife, again, without moving, not even blinking. Mi-young bit her lip, because that reaction made her even more nervous, and waited for his reaction. When Seung-hyun absorbed everything, he said:

 

"Do not worry, my Queen. I had been well aware of the situation for a while. They have already been sent to the local prison." 

 

"YOU HAVE WHAAAT?!"

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

HeeChul opened his eyes and all he could feel was some little finger touching his check. By the smell of flowers, he realized who the person was and tried to rise from the bed.

 

"Abeonim! Do not move, please!"

 

Seung-wan looked a bit skinnier than the last time HeeChul had seen her, maybe the stress made her skip some meals. But the fact to see her there, breathing and unharmed was everything he needed to start crying.

 

"Aigo! Abeonim! Are you hurt?"

 

He tried to shake his head, but he still felt weak, so, instead, he tried to talk.

 

"Do not worry, my daughter. I am just really happy to see you." 

 

"Me too abeonim!"

 

The little girl lied carefully beside him, and kissed his checks, just to be sure her father was right beside her, and it wasn’t an illusion. She was making a huge effort to control her tears too, but Seung-wan had to prove to her father she was a tough girl.

 

"It is alright, daughter. I’ve got you. "

 

HeeChul ran his fingers through Seung-wan’s hair, and the little girl lost control of her feelings, crying out loud and throwing her arms around her dad as carefully as she could.

 

"I missed you, dad! We were so scared and worried! I… I… don’t know what I would have done without you, dad!"

 

Seung-wan sobs even louder than before, and all HeeChul could do was whispering in her ear that he was there and everything will be alright. They did not know how much time they had been that way, but when HeeChul’s arm was starting to hurt because of Seung-wan’s weight.

 

"I think you should call your mother…"

 

"Yes!"

 

Seung-wan rose from the mattress and run towards the main corridor of the house, yelling her mother’s name with energy. 

 

"Eomeonim! Abeonim has awoken! Hurry, please!"

 

It only took Hyori a minute to arrive at the bedroom where HeeChul was lying, and, when she saw him awake and breathing, Hyori felt safe once again: “Everything will be alright, somehow.” She thought while she approached her husband and kissed him deeply. They might have been more colleagues than lovers most of their lives, but, sometimes, you do not appreciate the things you have until you are about to lose them.

 

"Maybe next time we should be more honest…" HeeChul said.

 

Seung-wan was so embarrassed that she covered her eyes with her arms and sang a song, pretending not to be there." 

 

"You silly girl!" Hyori complained. "Come here and kiss your father too." 

 

"I already have."

 

Hyori insisted, so Seung-wan sat once again next to her parents and kissed HeeChul’s head a few times before he turned serious once again.

 

"Tell me what happened while I was away… Where are the Silver Dragons now?"

 

Hyori hesitated because the doctors had said HeeChul was still weak and needed time to recover. She did not want to disturb him or make his condition worse by giving bad news.

 

"Hyori… you know only we can do something… please." HeeChul insisted.

 

"But… abeonim, you are sick. " 

 

"Do not worry, I will not leave this room until you let me, my daughter." 

 

"Promise?" 

 

"Promise."

 

Hyori knew the lord of spies didn’t have to leave the comfort of his chambers to move his complex and effective net of contacts. So, he believed his promise and started to explain everything.

 

"The Parks of the East had been arrested and they are waiting for the King’s death sentence. No fair trial." 

 

"What are the charges?" 

 

"High treason for the murders of Queen Sandara and Royal Concubine Bom. Also charges against the welfare of the country and the murdering attempt of the Crown Prince." 

 

"All the Clan?" 

 

"Why do you ask?" 

 

"There is a small little boy, Park Chanyeol… he is only four and has a good heart."

 

He remembered how the little Chanyeol used to go every day to his cell and ask for the prisoner’s health. The infant was never allowed to enter the cell because his father did not want it that way, but his pitchy voice was one of the few things who kept HeeChul alive. The voice of the child reminded him of his own daughter, and somehow, HeeChul had found the strength to carry on. He owned that child his life and he wanted to pay him back.

 

"I do not know what will happen to the infant."

 

Hyori knew it wasn’t the first time in Joseon history that a whole Clan has sentenced for high treason, and, most of the time, even the babies were killed, just in case they might grow up resentful and try to plot once again against the Crown. But Park Chanyeol was still a toddler, he did not deserve that destiny, no matter his father’s sins.

 

"Let’s send a formal petition of guardianship towards the little boy, who will be risen as a loyal Crown server under our care." 

 

"He will be the sole heir of the Parks of the East in a few days, husband. I highly doubt they will allow us to be his guardians." 

 

"Not if we offer the properties to the Crown, and let the child keep his title of noble only."

 

"We'll see what we can do about it."

 

"Tell me more, wife."

 

"The Thunder has convinced the State Council to give the Silver Dragons a fair trial because they had saved your life…" 

 

"What are the rumors?" 

 

"Maybe condemn to slavery or exile. The Thunder has threatened to kill himself if there is a death sentence." 

 

"Really?" he was relieved because the Left State Councilor would not let his younger brother die if he had the chance to avoid it. "That face makes me think you haven't yet finished… " 

 

"Since the Silver Dragons we have in prison are not their leader, the Dragon, they might get away without a death sentence... " 

 

"But?" 

 

"Jiyong has been condemned to death for high treason, in order to spear the others’ lives. "

 

"WHAT?!" And although his whole body was in pain, lord HeeChul rose from his bed. "We must free the Silver Dragons as soon as possible… let’s get to work!" 

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

Mi-young sat as far as she could from Seung-hyun, not wanting to listen to his excuses. Her husband had been lying to her even after they started to love and trust each other. She could not believe him and her anger was spreading through all her body like a lethal poison.

 

"Mi-young…" 

 

"Just.No.Speak…" and she even turned her back on him.

 

But, although her anger was consuming her, the Queen could not truly hate her husband, because, she had also been hiding things from him. She did not mean to be dishonest and treacherous with him, because…

 

"Everything I have done was to protect you. All of you."

 

Damn straight!” she thought, and the wall she was trying to build crashed once again. Mi-young moved a little and faced Seung-hyun once again, looking at his sad face, eyebrows so frowned that they were about to meld. “You and your stupid perfect eyebrows…” but she was not going to admit that his mere eyesight was able to destroy Mi-young’s will in a few seconds. No, she needed to be tough and proud, as the Queen of Joseon should be.

 

"But you lied to us. To your sister, to your children, to your former best friend… to me…" 

 

"I know… I know… and it will take me an eternity to pay you back for my sins, my Queen." 

 

"You can start now, if you want, by explaining me everything." she insisted with the last word.

 

Seung-hyun sighed and tried to hold Mi-young’s hands, to find some strength. But the Queen wasn’t yet ready for that physical contact, not when she had been living surrounded by lies. And Mi-young refused. Unable to look at her in the eyes, Seung-hyun stared to the floor and his bended knees.

 

"Everything started seven years ago… almost eight now. Time flies so much it is scary sometimes… I wonder…" 

 

"My King… straight to the point, please." Mi-young insisted.

 

"You must understand everything was so chaotic and the pain I was feeling did not let me sleep and think properly… I regret most of the decisions I took back then." he took a deep breath and massaged the space between his eyebrows, his head hurt. "But once it was done, I could not change my mind and follow the consequences of them…" 

 

"Understandable." 

 

"Jiyong was in prison, her sister Yuri had attacked the Thunder and his crew, all the State Council asked for Jiyong’s father, Kwon Hyun-suk’s head, for high treason. And lord HeeChul informed me that his little daughter had seen three mysterious people discussing killing my heir a few hours before Sandara and Bom were murdered… I panicked and did not know what to do… Because I knew, I was certain, that it wasn’t Jiyong’s father who killed them… that his confession was all made up in order to save his child. I am a father too, and I try my best to keep my children alive, although it seems I always fail miserably.

 

"They are fine… you are doing great." 

 

"That’s not the point now…"

 

"True." 

 

"Well… I did not know how to figure things out, and when Jiyong beat me… I knew I could not save him from the plots at court. The Kwon Clan was getting too strong, and the Parks had already lost their precious daughters, they wanted revenge… I was so lost…"

 

And for the first time in her life, Mi-young saw a man crying. It was a shocking experience, to see tears and regret in her husband’s eyes. Because men were not supposed to cry, but he was doing it, right in front of her. Since Mi-young had never consoled a crying man, she did not know what to do, and treated him the same way she would console a woman: she hugged him tightly, letting Seung-hyun take away all his sadness and telling him everything will be alright. Seung-hyun responded to her embrace, holding her arm tightly and pressing his running nose against it, unable to open his eyes or stop crying for a second.

 

For years, he had never had someone to truly rely on. Of course, Daesung and his mother were always there to cheer him up, but, he was the leader of his family, and, somehow, he had to show strength even before them. Both the Second Prince and the Dowager Queen had also lost a lot, and Seung-hyun did not want to reopen their healing scars, not when he needed them stronger than ever. But with Mi-young… Seung-hyun could not just pretend: he had decided to share with her everything, even his most hidden secrets. She had merited it with her patience and kindness towards everyone. For hugging him and letting him cry she deserved the whole world, but Seung-hyun was not able to offer it to her. So, instead, he promised himself he would be an open book in front of her.

 

"So… you were lost… "

 

Seung-hyun couldn’t tell how much time he had been crying, but, since Mi-young wasn’t making a big deal of his tears, he decided to take a deep breath and keep talking. His Queen wiped his eyes, a huge smile on her face.

 

"So I did what my real father figure, lord Kwon Hyun-suk, always told me. A wise leader knows his limitations and tries to get clever people around him. So, I followed his advice one last time and asked lord HeeChul and lord SooHyuk for help. We decided that we had to give an alternative to Jiyong and his allies, so, we came up with the idea of offering them a ship and a safe place to stay. Piracy has always been a problem in Joseon, and I have heard from our ambassadors that a king from a kingdom called the Portuguese Empire uses corsairs to control his lands." 

 

"Did you make your best friend a criminal?!" 

 

"He has already considered one." it was an excuse, but a good one, at least. "We thought that if they did not know I was involved in the plan at all, the Silver Dragons would follow both HeeChul’s and SooHyuk’s instructions without hesitation. That way, if things improved, I could have always signed a royal pardon for them, for their services to Joseon."

 

"It has not worked that way… They have been arrested, and the possibilities of going back to their old positions are unlikely. The whole court despises them, and with the tensions, we have with the Parks, it would be unwise to put more nobles against us." 

 

"I know, and I am truly sorry. I did not expect things would develop that way." 

 

"No one can predict the future, expect some shamans." 

 

"Which reminds my sister needs to be at Court in less than three days before the Chinese shaman comes to read her good fortune before the wedding and… " 

 

"Shhhh… I will solve that problem. It is not the moment, please, finish your story, my King." 

 

"I do not know how I survived these years back without you, my Queen." 

 

"Keep explaining…" she blushed slightly.

 

"So… with my secret help, they were able to settle a ship and give the Silver Dragons some money to start their new journey. I could not save my friend’s reputation, but at least I could save his life. Not my best decision, but I was so paralyzed back then that I could not find a better one. Do you think I did the right thing, my Queen?"

 

Mi-young was still trying to figure out everything Seung-hyun had told her, because, not even in a million years she would have been able to guess Seung-hyun’s involvement with the Silver Dragons initiative. Yet… the fact that lord HeeChul had directly come to help her when she became Queen and Seung-hyun did not ever asked her about their plans… it was something quite suspicious.

 

"That lord HeeChul is a sneaky man… how is he always everywhere?" Mi-young joked.

 

"Not everyone can be the lord of spies." 

 

"Should we trust him? He is waaay too sneaky." 

 

"I saved his mother’s life. Long story, maybe someday he would explain it to you."

 

"Alright. Wooow! You have given me so many information and so many things to think about, my King." 

 

"I am sorry, my Queen." 

 

"No, do not be. I am so glad that you have finally trusted me in everything." 

 

"Do you understand that my implication with the Silver Dragons must not leave this room, right?" 

 

"I know. If the nobles know about it they will riot against us. Not even Jiyong or Taeyeon must know." 

 

"Speaking of my reckless sister… how do we get her back? The security to enter the city has been increased after the Silver Dragons were arrested… it will be hard for her to come back, besides…" 

 

"Shhhhh…" Mi-young wrapped her arms around his neck and whispered. "We are both in this, alright? Let me help you and get some of your burdens with you. Do not worry, I will bring her back."

 

And for the second time in a row, Seung-hyun couldn’t control his feelings and started to cry once again. But, this time, his tears were not of sadness.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Make it stop, please! Please!"

 

Chanyeol could feel his father’s screams from the other cell and he wanted to cry. Luckily, his son wasn’t there with them, because, he thought the experience would have been traumatic for him. Yet, the uncertainty of little Chanyeol’s fate killed him inside.

 

"Stoooop!"

 

Lord Park Sung-woo’s voice was getting weaker and weaker every time he screamed until Chanyeol couldn’t listen to anything. Then, he curled up and surrounded his knees with his cold arms. It was so cold in that dark cell that not even his breath was warm anymore. Suddenly, the screams stopped, and his father screamed:

 

"I will tell you! But, please, stooooop!"

 

Chanyeol felt betrayed after those last words and started to cry. Maybe his father has stopped his torture, but, with his selfish action, had condemned all his clan. No way would they spare their lives after plotting twice to kill the Crown Prince and almost killed two Queens. It was just too much to forgive. He was so focused on his thoughts that it took him a few seconds to realize some small hands were trying to touch him against the bars of his cell.

 

"My son!" He was carried by the First Palace Lady, Kwon Bo Ah, dressed in warm clothes and well feed. "Thank the Gods for your kindness, lady Bo Ah!" 

 

"Do not thank me, lord Chanyeol… "

 

Bo Ah took his son away from him, and put him in the arms of lord HeeChul, who still had bruises on his face and was so weak he seemed he was about to faint. His hand had been replaced by a wooden hand, so he could at least hold the little lord carefully.

 

"My family is going to kill me… but I had to be the one to tell you, lord Chanyeol."

 

The youngest Park gulped and, although he started to shake and wanted to pee himself from fear, he tried to keep his composure in front of his son.

 

"Lady Bo Ah, tell the guards they should clean lord Park Sung-woo. I wish little Chanyeol can say goodbye properly." 

 

"Give me the infant and I will speak with them. I do not think it is appropriate for the child to stay longer here…" 

 

"Abeonim!"

 

Lady Bo Ah thought it was too cruel to leave, so, she approached one last time to the cell, and let the father caress one last time his son’s soft cheeks.

 

"Abeonim! Lord HeeChul says you did something bad and I have to live with him now. I want abeonim with me!"

 

Lord Chanyeol looked at HeeChul with gratitude, because he understood what was happening: the lord of spies was going to take care of his child after his death. So, at least, his bloodline would continue and the innocent toddler would not be punished.

 

"Lord HeeChul is a good man, my son. So you must be a good boy and do everything he says, alright? Do not cry, please, I need you to be really, really brave."

 

Although it was difficult for the little one, he nodded and stopped crying. Carefully, lord Chanyeol placed a hand on his head and approached his son’s forehead to his lips. The last physical contact he would have with his child before he died.

 

"I love you, very, very much, Chanyeol." 

 

"I love you very very, abeonim."

 

Lord Chanyeol looked at Bo Ah and the noblewoman understood it was the moment to leave with the little boy.

 

"We are going to see your grandfather, okay, young lord?"

 

Chanyeol did not look away until his son left the room, safe in the arms of the First Palace Lady.

 

"He will live with my family and I will be his guardian. I do not know if he would inherit the family’s properties, but I promise you he will have a decent position as the son of a noble household." 

 

"Thank you." 

 

"You did something unforgettable, lord Chanyeol, and now, your son will have to deal with the shame that comes from being the son of a traitor." 

 

"I know, but he will live. It is all that matters." 

 

"Tomorrow, your father, your brother and you would die."

 

And lord Chanyeol fainted, too scared to face his own destiny.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

The road towards the capital, Hanseong, had been a quiet one, with Chaerin leading the path and Taeyeon following behind her. Jiyong had been holding the princess's waist so he could not fell from the horse, but she could felt his heart and soul were far away from there. So far that he wasn’t able to ride a horse on his own. In a destructive way, Jiyong was remembering all the memories he had with Taeyang: the first time they met at school, their first fight, how they both played to annoy Seung-hyun when he had lectures with his tutors, how much he cried when he hold HanBin, Taeyang’s son, for the first time… as if it was his own flesh and blood. “I will try to give them a calm and happy life, YoungBae, I promise.”

 

Sometimes, Taeyeon would drop one of the horses’ rains, move her hand and caress Jiyong’s hand, to give him some comfort. At first, Jiyong did not enjoy the contact, because he needed time on his own, but, the warm hands’ gave him a comfort he never knew it was possible to feel.

 

"I am alright, princess. " 

 

"Then stop shaking, we might fell." 

 

"It is cold. And I am not shaking."

 

"I do not believe you." 

 

"You should." 

 

"But I don’t. Liar. " 

 

"I am not a liar!" 

 

"Yes, you are!" 

 

"KIDS! STOP OR THEY MIGHT HEAR US!" Chaerin yelled.

 

Both Taeyeon and Jiyong stopped talking and followed the baddest female instructions. They left the horses to drink some water at the Han River, while they tried to see the walled city. Even from far and hiding between the bushes, they could see the flames in the towers and the huge number of guards protecting the city. More than usual.

 

"I think they are quite scared of the Black Pearl…" Jiyong proudly said.

 

"Maybe, but that puts us in a complicated situation…" Chaerin informed. "How are we going to communicate with the interior if the whole army is in the city?" 

 

"How did you escape?" 

 

"Through the river, in a merchant ship, that lady Hyori had to send to Incheon. But with this level of security, all the ships’ decks will be checked carefully before letting them dock. And princess Taeyeon needs to return before her meeting with the shaman." 

 

"Already?"

 

Usually, a week before a wedding, a shaman would come to visit the future bride and predict her future, usually as a guarantee that she would bring healthy children to her soon-to-be-husband.

 

"I have to go to China in a week." Taeyeon informed, unable to look at Jiyong while talking: it was too painful for her to face her imminent wedding because that would mean she would never see Jiyong again. Luckily, the Dragon understood how she felt and did not insist anymore with the subject, although it was as painful for him as it was for the princess. “It is for a better future for thousands of people, remember that Jiyong.

 

"How can we possibly enter?!" Taeyeon asked, desperate.

 

"We will find a way, but not today." Chaerin informed. "It is almost dark and we should find a place to stay at night if we want to survive the cold. I know a shaman not far away from here, good friend. She might let us stay."

 

Both Jiyong and Taeyeon nodded and followed Chaerin through the forest for what seemed ages, going and going deeper, to a point where the trees covered the sun, and everything was dark.

 

"Are you sure is this way?" 

 

"Of course I am, Jiyong. Do not be scared." 

 

"I am not scared…" 

 

"Whatever…" Chaerin rolled her eyes.

 

After a few more minutes, they found a small wooden house hidden in between the trees. There was a small stable for the horses and some candles lighted the interior.

 

"Let’s unsaddle the horses and feed them. They deserve it." 

 

"But… shouldn’t we ask for permission first?" 

 

"And you are a pirate, Jiyong?" Chaerin mocked him. "The shaman is my friend, she will understand."

 

Once the horses were in a warm space, with food and water for a few days, Chaerin guided Taeyeon and Jiyong to the interior, where a young woman was sitting next to a fire, cooking a stew that made Taeyeon’s stomach rumble.

 

"Take a sit, First Princess Taeyeon." the woman said.

 

"How do you know my name?" 

 

"I know everything. The past, the present and the future." 

 

"Minzy used to be a shaman’s apprentice in the palace." Chaerin informed. "But one of her masters’ begged me to take her away from the palace because her powers were too strong. She never fails." 

 

"How long have you been keeping this from me, Chaerin?" Taeyeon asked.

 

"Three years. I have been protecting her since. Sorry that I did not tell you, Taeyeon. But if anyone knew about her powers, I was afraid someone might have forced her to use them against her own will." 

 

"Could she help us to enter into the city without getting noticed?" Jiyong asked.

 

"I am afraid my powers are mental, lord Kwon Jiyong, former Major General of the Navy and leader of the Silver Dragons."

 

"How do you…?"

 

"As I have said to the princess, I know the memories of the past, the present, and the future. I can read memories… so, maybe I could help you erase the memories of the guards who might see you on your journey back home… but I cannot control them. You will need some other kind of distraction." 

 

"Then… why are we here?" Taeyeon asked.

 

"Because I have two possible futures in my mind. One is alright, the other one is catastrophic." 

 

"And?" 

 

"And I want you to be informed, so we can avoid chaos and unnecessary deaths." 

 

"What should we know, then?" Taeyeon seemed quite interested.

 

"First of all, that your daughter is going to become the next Empress of China and your grandchild the Emperor, never forget that and prepare your daughter, without realizing, because it is one of the most dangerous positions to have."

 

Taeyeon knew she would have to give children to her future husband, and that had disgusted her ever since she had chosen to get married. But, at the same time, the prediction of that shaman gave her hope: “What if I can raise a fair ruler able to defend the Koreans inside the Forbidden City?” Then, all her sacrifices would be worthy, because, not only she would bring peace to the country, but also the possibility to influence the Qing Dynasty and make it more favorable towards her homeland.

 

"I’ll try my best."

 

On the other hand, the mere idea of Taeyeon having to be with someone who wasn’t him, made Jiyong sad. But he had to show strength, and do not let his feelings consume him. “She might be able to save us if I behave.

 

"And secondly, you must get ready, because tonight, the Queen of Joseon is going to take a decision that will make you able to return. But, be ready and run to find the Crown Prince and lady Seung-wan, because tomorrow night, you will be betrayed once more." 

 

"By who…?!"

 

Taeyeon stood up and threatened with her intense eyesight. She needed to know who was behind all the attacks against the kingdom and her family, it was too much to handle already.

 

"You are not going to like it, First Princess…"

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Eomeonim!" Seung-wan run through the corridors of their house, startling the servants who were getting ready for the day.

 

"Be careful, lady Seung-wan!" Sorry, miss, but it is an emergency! Although the dress was heavy and made her uncomfortable, Seung-wan run as fast as she could to her mother chambers and opened the door so loudly that lady Hyori stood up immediately and took her sword, ready to fight an enemy.

 

"Seung-wan! YOU CANNOT SCARE ME THIS MUCH!" 

 

"We have to go to the Palace, mother! Father has gone to the royal dungeons! He has left a note!" 

 

"THIS LIAR!" Hyori took the note Seung-wan was offering her and read it carefully before breaking it into pieces. She was so mad she had to focus her energy on the piece of paper, because if not, she might have broken something far more expensive than that.

 

"Get ready to leave and tell your friend Koo Jun Hoe he is coming with us." 

 

"Why?" she blushed a little.

 

"Because I will take advantage of the situation and speak with the Queen. We need to get princess Taeyeon back, remember? And I do not want you to be alone while I speak with our majesty. " 

 

"Alright, I will ask the maids to get my winter clothes ready! But promise I will be the one to kick father’s ." 

 

"Deal." 

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"He is going to screw everything and confess our connection!" lady HanByul moved through the room, too nervous to stay in the same place more than two seconds.

 

"Relax, my friend." the first shadow said. "He will not do such thing." 

 

"How can you be so sure?" 

 

"Because I have made a deal with him..." 

 

"What deal?!"

 

In just a few seconds, the first shadow stabbed Park Han Byul in her stomach, not letting her time to fight back. Surprised and betrayed, she felt on the floor, while the person she thought was her friend took her in its arms.

 

"The King promised lord Park Sung-woo an honorable death if he betrayed his allies, and I promised him that if he only betrayed you, I would convince lord HeeChul to keep the young heir, Park Chanyeol, as his Ward." 

 

"You… "

 

"I asked you to reunite with me because the guards are coming to arrest you. I am saving you from a terrible death, lady Han Byul… " 

 

"You will lose, my friend." she ironically said.

 

"Why do you think that?" 

 

"Because seven years ago,  I saw how a little girl witnessed one of our meetings, and she will recognize you when she sees you."

 

Han Byul felt how her whole body was shaking and getting colder every second that passed. She was in so much pain that she could not feel anything any longer, and, although she wanted it to end, she couldn’t leave without taking revenge on the friend she knew someday would betray her.

 

"I helped her parents to keep her alive because I knew you would betray me… " 

 

"That’s a lie…" 

 

"You will never know…"

 

"WHO IS THIS GIRL?! TELL ME!!!!"

 

But Park Han Byul eyes lost all their shinning, and she gave her last breath with a smile on her face because she had also sentenced her murderer.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"They are so cute, aunt."

 

Jeongwan was visiting his uncles at their chambers in the palace, because he missed his cousins: Park Seok-jin and Park Jisoo. They were still small, but, the Crown Prince could see how alike they twins were. Although Seok-jin was a boy and Jisoo a girl.

 

"They are going to be as beautiful as you, aunt." 

 

"I hope so. Only time would tell us."

 

Suddenly, they heard noises from outside, and when Jeongwan heard the Thunder’s voice, he went out to see what was happening and why his mentor looked so angry.  

 

"Crown Prince! Come near me, please!"

 

He trusted his uncle and mentor so much that Jeongwan obeyed without hesitation, a bit scared about the tension he showed in his whole body. He stood behind him, waiting for something.

 

"Sang-hyun…" lady Ye Seul started, but the Thunder interrupted her. 

 

"Lord Park Sung-woo has confessed he had been plotting against the Crown Prince with the help of lady Park Han Byul." 

 

"WHAT?!" both Jeongwan and Ye Seul yelled.

 

It killed the Thunder, to give that kind of news, because, although he has proven to be a loyal servant of the royal family, inside his own family there were traitors, and did not know what to do to protect them without also becoming suspicious. 

 

"Where is my sister?!"

 

Lord Park Houng-jun, the Left State Councilor and leader of his clan, arrived immediately after the soldiers, and the Thunder had to control the urge to hug his brother and comfort him.

 

"She has committed suicide once she knew we were going to arrest her." 

 

"NOOOOOOO!"

 

Jeongwan started to cry and hugged his uncle and Houng-jun took his wife, lady Ye Seul, in his arms because the woman had fainted after the terrible news. The Thunder had to control his urge to cry again, as he had done when he had found the dead body of his own sister a few minutes before. He had never expected to find himself in such a conflictive situation, where he had to protect his nephew from his own family because he could not trust them.

 

"Since there is no evidence of neither lord Houng-jun nor lady Ye Seul involvement with lady Han Byul’s plots, the king has decided you will be under arrest in these chambers until we verify you knew nothing about her plans. Everything you need, just ask the guards who will custody you from now on."

 

Jeongwan started to scream and yell, trying to reach his eldest uncle with his arms, but the Thunder was pushing him away from that place. He wanted to cry, but he did not want to show weakness in front of the guards who were protecting him. Maybe his favorite aunt, Han Byul, had betrayed him, but he was the Crown Prince of Joseon, and had role to play.

 

A few moments later, the Thunder made him enter inside the Queen’s chambers, and, he found his siblings and lady Seung-wan playing. She was teaching to Ha Yi and Yeon Jun some fighting tips with the help of an unknown boy. He frowned his brows when he saw him so close to Seung-wan, because he was too handsome to be around her. - Jeongwan! Ha Yi stopped the game and went straight to hug his older brother. Jeongwan hugged her back, because he needed the warm contact of an innocent person, yet unable to think about betraying someone.

 

"Mother and Grandmother are reunited with lady Hyori and lady Bo Ah and asked us to stay here. Lady Seung-wan has forced her father to go home because he is still sick."

 

Jeongwan nodded and he stared at Seung-wan, not wanting to show his weakness to his little sister. But the young lady could see that the prince was about to cry.

 

"Are you alright, Crown Prince?" 

 

"No. I am not."

 

And Ha Yi hugged him even harder.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"I am just so lost… what to do?! What to do?!"

 

Mi-young moved through the Dowager Queen’s chambers, because, the situation was so complicated that she did not know how to act and needed the advise from an expert. Of course, Mi-young hadn’t explained them Seung-hyun’s implication in the whole process of creating the Silver Dragons, but, the rest… well, she had to.

 

"Just, relax, daughter… you have the instinct, relax, listen to it and it will guide you wisely."

 

And Uhm Jung Hwa was right, because her lack of previous consideration had made her explain the princess’ situation to the Dowager Queen, lady Hyori and the First Palace Lady. Not that Mi-young didn’t trust them, because all had proven to be loyal and excellent advisors, it was just the fact that it hadn't been her wisest idea to spread the truth, someone could have listened.

 

"But… how can I relax?! I think I have promised the king something I cannot achieve… How can I bring the princess back without the whole army noticing that she is missing and has been helping the biggest menace of the Crown right now?" 

 

"I just… it’s complicated indeed…" Hyori added. "I cannot pretend she is at our villa any longer." 

 

"How much time do you think we have?" 

 

"A day? Two? More than a week would be suspicious and anger the Emperor, because it would mean a delay in the royal marriage." 

 

"That’s not helpful at all, lady Hyori…" 

 

"DO NOT PANIC?!"

 

And the scream Uhm Jung Hwa made was so scary that Mi-young’s whole body shook. She stood in the middle of the room, unable to move.

 

"I think we should be practical… "

 

"What is your plan, mother?"

 

Uhm Jung Hwa smirked, happy that she was able to help with that complicated situation. “I still can be a badass and needed ruler.” She thought.

 

"We need to get my daughter back, and we all agree that the Silver Dragons must be released because of all their help to the Crown, but without making the nobles angry. They think they are criminals, no matter how much lord HeeChul and lord SooHyuk tried to clean their images. "

 

"Yes. " 

 

"Then… I think we should send lady Bo Ah and lady Hyori to help them to escape. "

 

"Escape?! With the whole army in the city?" Bo Ah asked. 

 

"Of course. Since there will be a breach in the security, we will spread the rumor they want to hurt the Royal Family for revenge. That will force the King to increase the security at the palace, so we will have more soldiers at Gyeongbokgung and the exits of the city will be less controlled. That way, Hyori could leave the city… I do not know right now, by ship, with… maybe the excuse she has business to attend… and the Silver Dragons will be hidden in the docks.

 

"And with less security…" Bo Ah added once she assimilated the Dowager Queen’s plan. "The Princess would be able to go back to Hyori’s villa." 

 

"In time to leave to marry the Chinese Prince!" Hyori added.

 

"So…" Uhm Jung Hwa started.

 

"WHAT DO YOU THINK, YOUR MAJESTY?" the three women asked. Mi-young blinked a few times, trying to understand the whole plan, because, having three women explaining things at the same time made it difficult.

 

"But…  Alright. I am in. Let’s free the Silver Dragons."

 

 

 

__________________________________________

 

A/N: I know it has taken me a while to upload the story, but I was busy trying to sum up the plot of the three (and final) following chapters. I don’t want to leave unfinished plots and want everything to be clear. I almost have finished it, but, somehow, it is getting more difficult for me to keep writing it because I do not want to end this story, it has been with me for a year and a half, and I will miss the characters a lot. Also, I came up with the idea to add Minzy this Monday, so I changed everything a little to put her into the story. She has always been my favorite 2ne1 member, but, I could not find a good way to portray her in my story. This way I put her as a powerful and talented shaman, who has decided to leave the Palace to be happier and safe. She won’t make any more appearances but I wanted Minzy to be there. She had to.