The end of an adventure.

The Silver Dragons

 

Chapter 24. The end of an adventure.

 

 

 

Yuri opened her eyes so sudden that she saw everything blurry and was confused with the warm scent of roses and soft linen sheets covering her whole body. Her arm started to hurt like hell when she tried to rise from the mattress.

 

"Oh! Thank the Gods you are awake, lady Yuri! Please, do not move." 

 

"Who are you?"

 

The woman with big brown eyes just smiled and helped Yuri to get up a little. A young girl she recognized neither put some soft pillows behind her back, so she felt comfortable.

 

"This is my mother, Queen Mi-young."

 

"Oh! Sorry… "

 

"Do not worry." Mi-young smiled. "Let’s worry about protocols when you fully recover, milady."

 

"And you might not remember me, but I am Second Princess Ha Yi, lady Yuri."

 

Yuri goggled the little girl for a while and she recognized some of the features the small three-year-old she remembered. The cute checks, the pointy nose, the eyes…

 

"You have grown a lot, princess."

 

"And you are just how I remembered you, milady." and Ha Yi put her another blanket, because it was cold outside. 

 

Yuri knew she shouldn’t be smiling: she had too many questions to ask and too many feelings to take in. But the fact that someone was taking care of her, made Yuri feel happy and relaxed. Something she hadn’t been able to do in seven years.

 

"What happened?"

 

Mother and daughter stared at each other with sad expressions on their faces, not knowing if it was the best moment to tell the woman the truth. But, if rumors were true, the Black Pearl was a stubborn woman: it was useless to hide the truth from her, because she wouldn’t stop asking until she knew.

 

"Could you call lady Chaerin, please, daughter? I think it is a moment for an adults’ conversation."

 

"Okay."

 

The princess lifted from the floor and went out to the corridors to talk with some of the soldiers outside.

 

"Let me give you your medicine first, milady. Your arm is healing correctly, but I doubt you will be able to face what we have to tell you while dealing with pain. "

 

Yuri nodded and took all the bitter medicine Mi-young offered, no questions asked. Maybe it was everything a bad dream and Bo Ah was tricking her with fake actors before killing her. But she was so tired of fighting all the time that she didn’t mind. When the medicine took effect on her body and the pain in her arm was decreasing, Yuri decided to speak.

 

"How long have I been sleeping, your highness?"

 

"Not much really, maybe a day and a half." Chaerin said from the door.

 

"That much?"

 

Yuri was relieved to see a familiar face in the same room as her. Chaerin looked tired (by the bags under her eyes) but quite pretty with her new hanbok: it suited her, the outfit of the First Palace Lady.

 

"Someone’s got promoted, I guess."

 

In a different context, Yuri would have congratulated her friend, because, ever since they met, Yuri knew Chaerin wished to become the First Palace Lady someday. Guess her dream became real faster than expected. But that hanbok only reminded her of Bo Ah.

 

"It is all new… I guess that under the circumstances it wasn’t appropriate to use the old ones."

 

"What happened?" Yuri insisted, and changed the subject: she wasn’t ready to face the truth.

 

"Well…" Mi-young started. "You were wounded so your siblings took you here and since everything is quite chaotic these days, I offered my chambers to all the injured."

 

"Thank you."

 

"My pleasure. So… while you were sleeping we put Bo Ah under arrest and tied with chains here in the palace. Your siblings have been assuring she doesn’t escape until…"

 

The Queen stopped and Yuri understood why: she was talking about her sister’s death sentence. She felt so tired and confused that no words could express how she was feeling about that situation.

 

"When?"

 

"In three days. When we the fallen had been mourned by their families."

 

"What?"

 

"Min Hyo Rin is coming to Hanseong, to burn Taeyang and the others properly." Chaerin added. "They are bringing him, MinHo and..."

 

"Who has fallen?" Yuri interrupted.

 

"Too many to count…"

 

"I need to know, Chaerin. Do not lie to me. The good and the bad."

 

"Are you sure?" Chaerin wasn't sure if Yuri was ready for what was about to come.

 

"Yes."

 

"The good news is that Jinwoo has survived."

 

Yuri smiled and felt relieved, because, although the Gods had decided to punish the Kwon family for their sins, it seemed they had decided to stop tormenting them. Jinwoo was a good man, and deserved to live.

 

"And the bad?"

 

Chaerin didn’t want to tell Yuri what had happened to the Thunder, because she knew her friend was in love with him, even though she hadn’t admitted it to anyone. If it was painful for her to let Seungri go (when he was alive), she couldn’t imagine how hard it would be for Yuri: her sister and the love of her life, lost forever. But, she knew that the longer she waited to tell her, the worse: because Yuri would need a lot of time to recover from those losses. So, she took a deep breath and tell her the truth:

 

"Lord Park Sang-hyun has died."

 

And Yuri burst into tears.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"So, just to clarify everything…"

 

A few scholars were registering Taeyeon’s declaration in favor of the Silver Dragons. The fact that the three Kwon siblings risked their lives to come back to Joseon only to save the Crown Prince had made a huge impact at Court, and Seung-hyun took the chance to give them a Royal Pardon. They might not be able to go back to their old positions, but, at least, their names would be cleaned and the family honor restored. Not even all the gold in his kingdom would allow Seung-hyun to pay them back for bringing his son alive and arrested their own sister for high treason, even though it killed them inside.

 

"When I was kidnapped by the Silver Dragons they only did it because they were manipulated by lady Bo Ah. She told them they had to save me from an arranged marriage that would cause my death."

 

Of course, since Bo Ah’s reputation was already destroyed, and, with Jiyong’s permission, they decided to made up a story about Taeyeon’s kidnapping, to end any discord in Court between the factions against the King’s decision.

 

"And when they realized their mistake, they set me free, and I left me at a small village near the coast, where lady Hyori was hiding with her daughter."

 

Taeyeon had to control the urge to laugh at the Royal Hall, because, she couldn’t believe those men believed every word she was saying. Well, in reality Taeyeon knew some of them were suspicious, but after two murder attempts against the Crown Prince in less than a year, guess everyone wanted some peace and believed her made up stories.

 

"Why was lady Hyori hiding?" another scholar asked.

 

"Because her daughter, lady Kim Seung-wan, had witnessed three suspicious people plotting to kill the Crown Prince."

 

"And why didn’t they inform the authorities?"

 

"Because they didn’t know who to trust and the young lady wasn’t able to identify the people. When Queen Sandara died the following day, they got scared and decided to hide their daughter. “And helped the Kwon Clan to create the Silver Dragons… but that’s a story you won’t hear from me.” Taeyeon thought.

 

"Who were the three people who plotted against the Crown Prince, then?" another one asked.

 

"You already know… - We need your confirmation, First Princess."

 

"Alright… according to lady Park Han Byul’s documents they were former Right-State Councilor lord Park Sung-woo, the already mentioned lady and former First Palace Lady Kwon Bo Ah."

 

"Anyone else?" 

 

"Not that lady Seung-wan can identify. She only saw three and lady Han Byul only mentions three. “And the Chinese Emperor, but that bastard won’t get punished. But well, I’ll get my revenge when my daughter becomes the wife of one of his children and I will educate her to defend the Koreans.

 

"That’s all?" Taeyeon asked after a few minutes without getting questions.

 

"Yes, that would be all, sister."

 

Daesung, who as the Chief State Councilor was directing that meeting, helped her to move from the platform where she was speaking, and they both left the scholars behind.  

 

"How is lady Yuri dealing with the loss?" She asked when she felt their entourage was far enough to give them some privacy.

 

Seung-hyun had increased security and, with the benefits the Crown had gotten after they confiscated all the Parks of the East lands, he had hired more soldiers for both the Army and the Navy.

 

"Have you not seen her?" 

 

"Yesterday. But Chaerin told me you visited her early this morning." 

 

"Yes. I had to collect her testimony, to verify it was similar to the version you have already given to the Court." 

 

"And?" 

 

"She seemed better. I do not know her as well as you do, sister. But I think she is one of those women who do not show their feelings even when she is a mess inside."

 

"You have a hidden talent to understand people, brother." 

 

"Our mother is the Dowager Queen Jung Hwa… someone had to inherit her hidden abilities…" he joked.

 

"Are you trying to imply something there, Daesung?" 

 

"Aunt! Uncle!"

 

Ha Yi started to run through the gardens, to her maid’s dismay. She was with Yeon Jun and that brave kid who saved Jeongwan’s life by pretending he was the Crown Prince, Koo Jun Hoe. The Royal Family was so grateful that Daesung had decided to take him as his ward, so although he couldn’t get a noble title, he would be able to life with them at the Royal Palace and get a proper education.

 

"Guess you’ll never know, sister."

 

Daesung and Taeyeon joined their nephews, and, although they still felt guilty when they were laughing, moments of fun playing tag with some innocent children seemed a good activity to start healing their wounded souls. But reality came back when one of the eunuchs arrived running through the gardens.

 

"Your majesties! Your majesties!" an old eunuch yelled.

 

Taeyeon approached the old eunuch, who was still trying to recover from his fast sprint. - I am getting to old for this, princess. - You don’t have to run if you do not feel alright. Your health is important.

 

"Thank you milady, but a lady has arrived to court and she is looking for you. I had to hurry to verify if you knew her." 

 

"What is her name?" 

 

"Min Hyo Rin."

 

Taeyeon left with the eunuch to welcome Hyo Rin to the court, although she wished they could have met again in different (and better) circumstances. Hyo Rin and her eldest, Dong Han Bin, vowed and the princess had to control the urge to embrace them in front of everyone. She knew she couldn’t do that or people would get suspicious about their real relationship.

 

Officially, Dong YoungBae’s family lived in Jeju Island while the pirate was with the Silver Dragons were at the sea. No-one could know that Hyo Rin had been living with the Silver Dragons and had been a crucial ally to keep their secret base.

 

"Your highness." she vowed all she could while holding little Han-nee in her arms.

 

"Milady. Please, you must be tired from your trip. Let me guide you towards your chambers."

 

They arrived to some of the guests rooms and Han Bin almost fainted when he saw such a nice and warm room. During the trip it had rained a lot and at nights they had to cuddle each other very tightly to keep themselves warm. So it was a huge improvement.

 

"Thank you so much, First Princess Taeyeon!" the kid exclaimed. 

 

"Thank you, young lord. Leave us alone." Taeyeon ordered.

 

The maids and eunuch left the room, letting the two children and women alone and able to express their feelings.

 

"I am so sorry, Hyo Rin." 

 

"Are the culprits arrested?"

 

By the face of the newly widow, Taeyeon realized she wasn’t ready to speak about her husband. At least, not in front of her children: Hyo Rin had to be stronger than ever if she wanted to take care of her children properly.

 

"And condemned." the princess added.

 

"Good." 

 

"Dong YoungBae will receive a Royal Pardon tomorrow and your son will officially become his heir. He will inherit his title as a lord and also you and your daughter will get one. Lord HeeChul and Lady Hyori have volunteered to help you and your children through the difficult process of managing correctly your properties." 

 

"Woooohaaa! Am I a noble now?!" Han Bin yelled.

 

"Shhhhh… do not speak so loud or we might lose our luck." 

 

"Hyo Rin…"

 

Taeyeon grabbed one of Hyo Rin’s arms (because she wasn’t still able to move her wounded hand) and stared at her for a few seconds, trying to give her some comfort.

 

"As long as the Choi Clan rules Joseon, your family will be safe. I swear it, milady."

 

The pain of losing the love of her life would never completely heal for Hyo Rin, Taeyeon could feel it when she saw her brokenhearted expression. But, day by day (and with determination), everyone would heal.

 

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

 

"Are you sure?" Mi-young asked the physician.

 

"Yes, your highness."

 

Mi-young couldn’t control her feelings and hugged the man tightly. He was so embarrassed by the whole situation that he became as stiff as a wooden stick.

 

"Your highness!" 

 

"Sorry, milord."

 

The poor man shrugged his shoulders and left the Queen alone in her room, to give her some time to process the news and inform the King privately. She took her necklace and decided to use the hidden passage once more, to give him a surprise and have enough time to deal with the news she had just received. But, when she was about to enter to the chambers, she listened Jeongwan and Seung-hyun talking.

 

"You know father… I know it might be too soon, but… you know… after two near death living experiences… you know… I think that… you know…"

 

"One more you know and I will lose my patience, Jeongwan."

 

Mi-young went out from the secret corridor and she moved silently towards a folding screen, so she could see them between the small spaces. Jeongwan was growing every day a little more, and, every day that passed, he resembled more and more to his father. The eyes were different, maybe because (as everyone said) they were a gift the late Queen Sandara had given to her only child.

 

"Okay, father… well… you see…"

 

"To the point, Crown Prince."

 

"Alright, alright. Well… I wanted to ask you if you could tell lord HeeChul to speak with her daughter and tell her if she wouldn’t mind becoming my Crown Princess."

 

"YOUR WHAT?!" Mi-young yelled.

 

She couldn’t hide any longer after that scream, so she moved towards her husband’s side, placing a hand over his shoulder and looking at him with the same expression of surprise she had. Of course they had noticed how attentive Jeongwan was towards lady Seung-wan, and how caring was the lady towards the Crown Prince… but they didn’t expect a confession like that when he was only twelve years old.

 

"Too soon."

 

"But mother!"

 

"The Queen is right, Jeongwan… we cannot propose the candidates to become your Crown Princess until you are fifteen."

 

"Really?"

 

They nodded.

 

"Oh, gosh! This is so embarrassing…"

 

"Yes, it is… Jeongwan." the king agreed.

 

"Are you sure, Jeongwan? You are too young…" Mi-young asked. 

 

"She has saved my life!"

 

"And you think that is the only reason why she should become the Crown Princess?"

 

"True… but, but… she is the sole heiress of a rich man also, her lands… would…"

 

Both Mi-young and Seung-hyun knew the kid was having a difficult time trying to find other arguments apart from the fact that Jeongwan had a huge crush on that young lady. Of course, if they had in consideration her status, the girl was a good match, even with the “suspicious” ancient profession of her mother. But, if in the end, the Royal Family chose Seung-wan as the Crown Princess, they would guarantee to cover up that past.

 

"Let’s do something, son…" the King started. "Treat well the lady and be as cute as you are with her even in front of the court."

 

"Cute? I am no cute!" he complained.

 

"Yes, you are!" Mi-young .

 

"Mother! This is so embarrassing…"

 

"Well… Can I talk or will I get interrupted all the time?" Seung-hyun complained. "Thank you. Yes, you are cute, and a cute and healthy courtship with a young and suitable noble lady will benefit everyone in this family and country. People need to hear lovely stories after what has happened. And so do you, my son. You deserve to be happy."

 

Maybe with his father last’s words Jeongwan felt emotional, but that was something he was going to keep for himself.

 

"If in three years your intentions towards lady Seung-wan don’t change, I will announce your engagement to the Court. And set a date for your marriage when the girl reaches the marriageable age."

 

"Thank you, father!"

 

Jeongwan was so thrilled that he hugged his father and started to give him kisses, thanking him all the time.

 

"Alright, munchkin! Leave and do not say a word to anyone… I have a reputation to maintain."

 

Jeongwan kissed his parents one last time and left the room running, not sure where to go after that conversation.

 

"You must know you do not have any reputation left, my King." Mi-young joked.

 

"You are bad, my Queen."

 

"I have learned from a master, my King."

 

Seung-hyun smiled at her and that was when Mi-young noticed that something was troubling and making him uncomfortable. She could guess what was happening, but she wanted to hear the truth from him.

 

"What troubles you, Seung-hyun?"

 

The king pretended he was looking for some important documents on his desk, because he didn’t want to talk about the issue. It only caused him pain.

 

"Almost a week has passed and you still haven’t spoken with lord Jiyong and your sister."

 

"Am I a monster?"

 

"What? Why?" she couldn’t believe his words.

 

"I am going to separate two lovers again, my Queen."

 

"You gave Taeyeon the chance to say no, but she decided."

 

"But I could have insisted more… "

 

"You didn’t force anything this time. No-one was obliged to do anything, milord, and that is what makes all this really sad."

 

Because it was true: nobody had forced the three shadows to plot against them, nobody forced Sandara and Bom to risk their lives to save her Jeongwan, nobody forced the Silver Dragons to fly from the country, nobody forced Mi-young to trust Bo Ah and nobody forced Taeyeon to accept the Chinese Prince. Everything that had happened was because a bunch of imperfect and resentful adults had followed their decisions until their last consequences. Guess life was an accumulation of mistakes and solutions.

 

"You have to speak with him, Seung-hyun. I do not think he is resentful at this point. Not after everything that has happened. Seung-hyun didn’t answer but he knew his wife was right, like, a ninety-nine percent of the time."

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

It was snowing when the bodies of the brave man were burnt in their piles. A huge amount of people had reunited to say goodbye to the heroes that avoided a civil war (or worse) in Joseon.

 

Dong YoungBae, Choi MinHo, Kim Jong Hyun, Nam Taehyun, Lee SeungHoon and Park Sang-hyun had received the most honorable funeral the nation could provide: a public one at the main patio of the palace. Everyone was so concerned that even outside the palace gates there were people praying and following the funeral. For security reasons, only the Royal Family and the families of those who were killed were allowed to be that day at Gyeongbokgung. But everyone thanked it: when you have to say goodbye that way, it is better not to have the faces of cruel noblemen watching you.

 

Chaerin observed the scene motionless, because she thought she had to be strong for those who weren’t able. Even the Left State Councilor, lord Park Houng-Jun was crying. Han Ye Seul was hugging Hyo Rin as both of them watched their beloved ones turn into dust. It was a touching scene and the now First Palace Lady thought even higher of YoungBae’s wife: even when Han Ye Seul’s sister-in-law was guilty of her husband’s death, she couldn’t feel resentful towards another innocent human being. Chaerin approached Yuri and Taeyeon, who were hugging each other between the Thunder and Taeyang’s piles, listening to the purifying prayers the priests were reading aloud. She placed a hand on Yuri’s shoulder, and her friend held it back.

 

"Are you alright?"

 

"I will, I will."

 

She knew Yuri was doing a huge effort to control the urge to cry, but, had already shed enough tears for her beloved ones while she was recovering from her injuries. Because, although it hurt, she knew YoungBae, MinHo, Jong Hyun, Taehyun, SeungHoon and her beloved Sang-hyun wouldn’t have liked to see her suffer for a long time.

 

When the sun was setting, Chaerin instructed some maids to get warm blankets to everyone who wished to vigil the burning bodies during the night, and decided it was time to go back to her responsibilities as the First Palace Lady. The Palace had to be run no matter the circumstances.

 

"Do you need some help, lady Chaerin?"

 

Chaerin turned around and saw Seungri covered in one of the warm blankets. He had shaved and looked like a seven-year-old. Like the young man he was supposed to be.

 

"Not really, but you can come with me if you want. Those days have been difficult and I do not think is a good idea to be alone."

 

They started to walk in silence, followed by some soldiers and eunuchs, who had instructions of not leaving alone anyone inside the palace.

 

"What are you going to do now that your household has recovered its privileges, lord Seung-hyun?"

 

"I do not know… I would like to stay in Hanseong with Yuri and Jiyong, but… the circumstances force me to leave."

 

"What circumstances?"

 

Chaerin didn’t expect Seungri would leave the capital with his siblings still there. They had always been united, and she wished she could see Seungri grow and mature as a man from a close and proper distance.

 

"The King wants to have a new Chinese ambassador in the Forbidden City… and since thanks to my travels I speak several languages, it would be an interesting position."

 

That answer made Chaerin sadder than she thought, because, she could have never imagined that Seungri would leave so far away from home. It wasn’t that he was just going to live outside the capital, no… he was going to leave the country again, making it almost impossible for them to see each other again.

 

"Why would you apply?"

 

"Because that way I can heal my heart… it would kill me… to be here without being able to be with the woman I love."

 

Chaerin glimpsed him for a few seconds, but had to look away before she lost her control and hugged him tightly in front of the people around them. She was the lady of the Palace, the guardian of the order and the one who couldn’t marry. No matter how close Seungri was, they would always a compulsory distance between them.

 

"You have really good negotiating abilities, lord Seung-hyun. I wish you the best and hope you will make our nation proud in China."

 

Seungri smiled, but his eyes were sad, and bowed in front of Chaerin before leaving her there, with her maids. She was surrounded by people, but never had felt so lonely. And she realized she was going to feel that way until the day she died.

 

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

Seung-hyun had only been that nervous when his children were born. He feared for the mothers and the kids' health because he knew it was possible they wouldn’t make it. But now, he only feared for his. Well, not his physical health because he knew Jiyong wouldn’t kill him (he had the chance seven years ago but he didn’t), but more his mental one.

 

"Your majesty."

 

"Do you recognize me as your king now, lord Jiyong?" he demanded.

 

"I recognize your wife as my Queen, what consequently forces me to recognize your position as her husband."

 

Seung-hyun smiled and sat behind his desk, because he needed some space between him and Jiyong: too many painful memories and the fear that he might punch him again if he said something wrong.

 

"This is your Royal Pardon… "

 

He slid a parchment with the Royal Seal on it towards Jiyong, who took it and read it out loud.

 

"The King Choi Seung-hyun of Joseon had given this Royal Pardon, approved by all the Councilors, during the tenth anniversary of his reign. With this Royal Pardon, he returns to Kwon Jiyong his titles and possessions and erases any suspicious of treason from the Royal Archives." 

 

"You are a free man now, lord Jiyong."

 

The former pirate didn’t know what to think of that precious gift. It had been a quite tough week for everyone, with so many changes. He was happy because Sandara’s and his father’s reputation had been cleaned. However, the idea of seeing her eldest sister killed the day after tomorrow… made him want to leave everything behind and never look back.

 

"Thank you, your majesty."

 

"What are your plans now, lord Jiyong?"

 

"Why? Do you expect me to return to my ancient position or what?"

 

"I would be completely honest with you…"

 

"Whooaah! That’s new!"

 

Jiyong interrupted. Seung-hyun threatened him with his intense sight, warning him that he wasn’t in the mood to start a fight with him again, not after everything.

 

"I need a Major General for my Navy now that the Parks of the East are gone, and you used to be the best, lord Jiyong."

 

"Do not flatter me, because I do not wish to see the ocean in years. I am too tired of it."

 

"I cannot believe that."

 

"Well, maybe I would live near the ocean, but, never again on a ship. Too many memories. Most of them not good."

 

"You fell in love with my sister on a ship… or whenever you were…"

 

Jiyong blocked, because he didn’t expect Seung-hyun to have noticed his feelings towards princess Taeyeon. Guess he couldn’t hide things from his former best friend.

 

"…"

 

"I do not have to tell you that she has accepted a marriage proposal from the Qing Dynasty and that she will leave our court in three days."

 

"I never tried anything with Sandara while she was married to you. I am not going to start now. I will respect her decision."

 

"I am so sorry because I hurt you again."

 

"It was Taeyeon’s choice."

 

"But I could have insisted…"

 

"Do not make me repeat this again because I will deny everything, but... You are a good king, your highness. You always put your kingdom first, with uneven results, but always trying to do the best you can. It is not your fault that she accepted. She is as stubborn as her brother, I guess."

 

Seung-hyun smiled and relaxed a little after Jiyong’s last comment, and somehow, he found the courage to tell him what he had wanted to say for almost eight years.

 

"I am so sorry that I sentenced your father to death."

 

"You took him away from me."

 

"And I will regret it every day of my life. I hope that my Royal Pardon to lord Kwon Hyun-Suk makes up for my mistakes.

 

"Keep doing things right and listening to your wife, and maybe someday I will forgive you."

 

"I hope we reach that day and we can call each other friends again, lord Jiyong."

 

"I hope so, my King."

 

They stared at each other without talking. There was no need to say anything else, because they knew they had hurt each other too much to recover their old friendship. But, at least, Seung-hyun and Jiyong felt a little bit more in peace with their consciences.

 

"How will she die?"

 

"Bulls…"

 

"That’s a cruel way to kill her."

 

"I have let the families of the victims decide. It was the least I could do for them."

 

"I understand."

 

Jiyong couldn’t help it but cry in front of the King, because the mere idea of imagining her sister dying with ropes and bulls destroying her body… It was better not to think about that, because it made him cry even more. He felt so embarrassed that he turned around, to avoid the King’s judgment. But, instead of mocking him (as Seung-hyun used to do when they were younger), he put his hand on Jiyong’s shoulder and whispered.

 

"I wish you luck in your future, lord Jiyong. I will leave now. When you are ready to face the world again, you know where the exit is."

 

"And I wish good luck and prosperity in your reign, my King."

 

Jiyong stood there, crying and letting his emotions flow and leave his interior. He had always had a good control over them, but he knew he would become mad if he didn’t let off some steam. When he opened his eyes again and was about to take his Royal Pardon, Jiyong saw a small jar filled with a purple liquid and a note next to it, with the King’s handwriting.

 

He took the note and read it, which only made him cry even more:

 

Use this poison wisely, lord Jiyong.

 

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon didn’t understand how Hyo Rin could be so calm and serene after saying goodbye to the love of her life. She had talked with Mi-young about that subject and her sister had told her that maybe everything was just a façade she had to pull off for her children’s sake. But the woman was there, bathing her toddler, little Han-nee. It was a lovely scene, to see a mother and a daughter in such an intimate moment, and Taeyeon wished she could have moments like those with the daughter Minzy had promised would come. If she could have a child just as cute and happy as Han-nee, she would feel complete.

 

"Could I offer you my help, lady Hyo Rin?"

 

The woman nodded and asked the princess to hold the toddler while she gathered up the bath tools. Han-nee was an energetic year-old baby, so curious she had trouble to stay calm, because she wanted to touch and explore everything. She almost broke Taeyeon’s necklace, because she wanted to touch the shiny things.

 

"Oh! I am so sorry, First Princess!"

 

"Do not worry, lady Hyo Rin."

 

"I still do not get used to my title."

 

"You merited it."

 

"Well, my husband was the one who deserved it… he was a really brave man, a good person."

 

"I know. He always was kind to me."

 

Hyo Rin took the little girl in her arms and put her to sleep, it took her almost an hour, but Taeyeon was so amazed by their affection that she didn’t get bored through all the process.

 

"I know it might seem hard now, to leave your family and your beloved Jiyong. But children make things better, princess."

 

"How do y…?"

 

"Because I did not love my husband when we got married."

 

"I cannot believe that."

 

"It is the true princess. It was Han Bin what made us fall in love with each other."

 

"I do not know if I am ready to leave Jiyong."

 

"Neither was I when YoungBae left me…"

 

Taeyeon felt ashamed for her selfishness: she was making a widow remember her late husband, just because she was a childish girl unable to cope with her misfortune. - Forgive me, milady.

 

"I am a positive person, your highness." she took a deep breath. "I miss him terribly and I always will. But, I will keep the good memories and see him every time I close my eyes and think of him when I will need him. Besides, maybe in our next lives, we are together again. I just hope next time I will be younger than him, because I hated when he called me noonim."

 

Taeyeon smiled and also closed her eyes, remembering a sweet moment she witnessed at Oeyeondo Island, when YoungBae was singing a lullaby to his daughter while Hyo Rin caressed his hair. Yes, if she could remember the good moments, more than the bad ones, everything would be fine.

 

"What should I do, then?"

 

"See Jiyong one last time and say goodbye properly. Not everyone has the chance, and if you do not do it, you will regret it for the rest of your life, princess."

 

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

Bo Ah was thirsty and cold at the same time. The guards had tried to force her to eat and drink, so she could survive until her public execution. But she was a woman of noble lineage and the First Palace Lady, she deserved a better death. Not the ones the commoners used to suffer. It was so humiliating that she preferred to starve. The door from her cell suddenly opened, and she saw her three younger siblings in front of her, tears in their eyes.

 

"Are you the ones who will guide me towards the execution yard?"

 

"No…" Seungri answered.

 

They sat next to her and took of her chains… she could have tried to escape once more, but Bo Ah was so thirsty and hungry that she didn’t have the strength to try it again. She fainted on the floor, too much in pain after days rotting in that cold cell. Her always cute and loyal Seungri held her tightly in his arms.

 

"You should have eaten."

 

"Why? I will die today."

 

Jiyong approached her and started to caress her checks. He wanted to say so many things, both good and bad. But he knew he wasn’t ready to tell her anything, not at that moment, when his anger was stronger than his love. And he knew that if he insulted his sister before she died, he would regret it for the rest of his life. It wasn’t the moment to be resentful, it was the moment to say goodbye with dignity.

 

"The King has given me this in secret."

 

He showed her a small bottle filled with a purple liquid and she felt relieved: it was poison. At least she would die with less pain and more dignity.

 

"You’ll still be publicly executed, but by the time we arrive at the patio, you will be already gone." he continued.

 

Bo Ah gulped and started to cry, scared for her immediate death. She knew this moment would arrive sooner or later, but, the fact to face it was so frightening that she couldn’t stand it with the dignity she should. Shaking, she embraced Seungri even harder, and her brother hugged her back.

 

"Will it hurt?"

 

"No, in the note he says you will only feel sleepy."

 

"Can you give it to me? I cannot do it my own."

 

Jiyong hesitated, because he didn’t want to give his sister the poison that would kill her. He didn’t want to have that death in his conscience. But he knew they had to hurry, because the guards will arrive soon to take her, and Jiyong couldn’t let her die pulled by some bulls. It was too painful.

Instead, Yuri took the bottle and quickly spilled into Bo Ah’s mouth. She coughed a little because the poison was bitter, but made a huge effort for not vomiting it.

 

"Thank you for being here… "

 

"You are our sister, after all." Yuri said.

 

"Yes… I am… "

 

She started to shiver even more and shook a lot under Seungri’s embrace. The effects of the poison were starting to show and Bo Ah had never been so frightened in her life. She started to moan.

 

"Shhhhh, it is alright, it is alright… "

 

"Father used to say that power controls the worst and corrupts the best… and I am so sorry that I had been tempted by it."

 

"It’s okay, sister… shhhh… go to sleep." Seungri said.

 

Jiyong wanted to look away, but he couldn’t do that to his sister. Instead, he held tightly one of her hands, giving her strength to face her destiny.

 

"Could you sing for me, Jiyong? I have always loved your voice."

 

"Which song do you want?"

 

"Arirang… please, you sing it very well."

 

Jiyong took three deep breaths and started to sing softly, as if he was singing her a lullaby. Bo Ah was getting paler and paler, so he had to hurry up.

 

Arirang, Arirang, Arirang alone Let’s cross over the Arirang hill, Even if we go to rest when we get tired, Let’s hold hands and go, let’s go…

 

"I am so happy… to be here with you."

 

Bo Ah stopped to shiver and closed her eyes forever. Seungri hugged her tightly and Yuri started to cry. Jiyong ended his song.

 

… together.

 

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

 

"Promise me that you will write me every week, my daughter."

 

"I promise, mommy."

 

Taeyeon knew it was quite childish to call her mother like that when she was a grown up, but both women knew it was the last time they would see each other, so they didn’t care about what should be expected and embraced themselves for such a long time. Jung Hwa couldn’t stop kissing the soft checks of her daughter and inhaling her scent one last time, so she would never forget it.

 

"Aunt!"

 

Even Yeon Jun, who always bragged about how brave he was, was crying when they hugged his aunt for the last time. Taeyeon won’t be there to witness how her nephews and niece will become adults, get married, and have their own children. It broke her hear a little more than it already was.

 

"If someone treats you badly at Court, sister, just tell Seungri, and he will tell us, alright?" Daesung hugged her sister too and gave her a deep kiss on her forehead.

 

"I will, do not worry."

 

"I love you very much, sister." he whispered in her ear.

 

"I love you too, brother."

 

Taeyeon gave Daesung a quick kiss on his check and got in the king’s office, where he was waiting together with his Queen. They were just the three of them inside, and Taeyeon thanked the privacy.

 

"Brother."

 

"Sister."

 

Seung-hyun ran towards his sister and hugged her so strongly that Taeyeon couldn’t breathe for a few seconds.

 

"Less tight… - Ops! My bad."

 

Mi-young slowly approached to the siblings and smiled to her sister-in-law and best friend. Years ago, Mi-young also had had to leave everything behind and go to an unknown Court. Luckily, her husband had been comprehensive and would let both the Dowager Queen and the Queen accompany the princess until she reached her destination. Mi-young could speak with the Empress to make Taeyeon’s adaptation easier at the Forbidden City and her mother could extend her time with her daughter.

 

"I will go to check the final preparations. See you later, Taeyeon."

 

Seung-hyun hugged Taeyeon again and gently placed his hands on Taeyeon’s checks.

 

"I am going to miss you so much, monster."

 

"The last time you called me monster I was eleven."

 

"Let me annoy my little sister one last time."

 

"I love you, brother."

 

"I love you too, sister."

 

The moment was so sad that the King decided it was the perfect time to change the subject completely. He didn't want that his last memory of his sister was crying. He wanted to remember her with a smile.

 

"Alright. I have a surprise for you, Taeyeon."

 

"What surprise?"

 

"Close your eyes first please. No questions."

 

Taeyeon obeyed and heard how Seung-hyun opened a door inside his office. She wanted to ask him what he was doing, but she wasn’t sure if she wanted to know. Usually, Seung-hyun wasn’t good at giving surprises.

 

"You can open your eyes."

 

It was almost like a natural reflex to leap on Jiyong’s neck and kiss him on the lips once she saw him standing in front of her. She didn’t care if her brother was there, because all she could see was her beloved pirate.

 

"I shall go."

 

Taeyeon didn’t notice where Seung-hyun had gone, because she couldn’t stop kissing Jiyong over and over again, tears in her eyes. She was scared that if she stopped, he would disappear forever.

 

"My princess Taeyeon."

 

"My lord Jiyong."

 

His eyesight was so intense that Taeyeon had to stare at the floor. Too many experiences they wouldn’t live together expressed in those brown eyes. Too many emotions she couldn’t confess, because it would kill her soul forever.

 

"I am so sorry, my princess. I have failed you." he also was looking at the floor.

 

Taeyeon stared at him once more and took Jiyong’s chin with her good hand, forcing him to look at her once more.

 

"Failed me, why would you say that, milord?"

 

"Because I am paralyzed by fear and I do not know how I am going to live without you, my princess."

 

"You will find a way, milord. You are the strongest and most talented man I have ever met."

 

"You will meet better men at the Chinese Court."

 

"Perhaps… but none of them will be the man I love. The one I love for his big heart and noble principles. Do me a favor and use those talents of yours to make the world a better place, milord. That way all my sacrifices would be worthy. Do not apologize, milord, since there is nothing to forgive."

 

"How could I make the world a better place if it is you the one who makes me a better person? Why keep trying?"

 

"Because if you do not keep trying, I would not have the courage to work hard to make it better. Remember, my daughter will be the fourth Empress of China. I need all the support I can get to make her a fair and influential ruler."

 

"I wished that future daughter of yours could be mine too."

 

"You will guide both of us, even though she will not be your flesh and blood. Please, promise me you’ll be happy. I promise I will try to be happy too."

 

"How can I be happy if I am not by your side, my princess? Tell me, what should I do?"

 

"I do not know, but it is something you will have to figure out alone, milord."

 

They didn’t know what else to say to each other, because, honestly, there was nothing more left to say. In a few moments, Seung-hyun would come back and that would be their last moment together. The embraced each other, eyes closed, trying to make that moment perfect, so they would have something to remember.

 

"You’ll be eternal for me. Always beautiful, always brave, always kind."

 

"You’ll also be eternal for me."

 

They kiss each other for the last time. It isn’t a passionate kiss, just a small one, full of devotion and love. Taeyeon heard the horses outside whinnying, and she understood that the people outside were getting impatient. So, she broke the kiss and left the room in a hurry, unable to look back. Once she opened the door, she turned around only to see Jiyong for the last time. She smiled and he smiled back, trying to absorb all the details they could about each other.

 

"Goodbye, my love."

 

"A thousand times goodbye, my beloved princess." 

 

Mi-young and her mother were waiting outside and by the sad looks on their faces, Taeyeon realized they knew she had been saying goodbye to Jiyong. As fast as she could (but then it became a few hours more) she hugged and kissed all her family members, giving them advises and receiving good recommendations. But the time arrived and she got into her palanquin with her mother and sister. Taeyeon did not cry, because, although she had suffered a lot over the past few months, she didn’t regret any second of her life at Joseon. She became a woman and a true princess there, a person brave enough to face her new life at the Chinese Court.

 

 

One of the generals informed them that they had left the city, and Taeyeon smiled:

 

 

 

An adventure had ended. But a new one had begun.

 

 

 

 

______________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: I know, I know... I am a terrible human being because so many couples didn't end together. But that's what happened in real life: the children of noble households never had the chance to choose the person they wanted to marry. But this is not only a love story... my main goal was to make the characters grow through the story. 

  • Seung-hyun has learned to listen more and be less temperamental.
  • Mi-young has found happiness after a miserable life when she was younger.
  • Taeyeon (the one I think has made the biggest improvement) has become a brave and strong woman. Little is left of that spoiled princess.
  • Jiyong has finally let his resentment go. He can no longer feel hate, that's why he had the courage to help his sister (the woman who took everything away from him and destroyed his life).

I wanted them to become better human beings, and thanks to their love, they somehow reached that point. Love should give, never take. 

I promise you that in the epilogue I will try to make menses and give you a slightly better ending. At least, a happier one.