Arang and her Magistrate.

The Silver Dragons

Chapter 2. Arang and her Magistrate. 

 

"Again a fake report, Security Chief" the king sighted and hide his head between his arms, trying to calm his wrath. "They really think I am a fool, don’t they?"

 

"Pretend to be weak when you are strong, milord. Only this wat you can let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you do the final move, destroy those corrupted nobles like a thunderbolt."

 

"The Art of War… asshh, Lord Kwon HyunSuk, I should read this book more often, as you always recommend me…" he organized the confiscated letters of the nobles suspicious of corruption. "Lee SooHyuk!"

 

A skinny man, easily recognizable by his pointy nose and sharp tongue opened the door and bowed to his king.

 

"Yes, your majesty?"

 

"Give these documents to Lord Heechul, but outside the Royal Investigation Bureau… I suspect some of his assistants might be a spy."

 

"What do I tell Lord Heechul?"

 

"Nothing, probably he will already know that this conversation had happened and know what to do. That man is slippery as a snake" the King affirmed with a slight tone of admiration in his voice.

 

"I promise I will be cautious."

 

"I know, Lee SooHyuk, I know."

 

It was exhausting, being a King. Especially when you had a bunch of inefficient and hypocrite scholars surrounding you and you were unable to dismiss them without enough evidences.  Seung-hyun disliked mean and incompetent people: they made him lost a precious time he should have been using to rule. So, yes, the King's mood was terrible that day, and since Kwon HyunSuk knew it, he tried to distract him a different subject.

 

"Who do you pretend to promote as your Chief State Councilor when we uncover Lord Han, milord?"

 

"I was thinking about your son… he has saved my life so many times that I trust him completely."

 

Kwon HyunSuk was surprised and thankful towards the honor the King wanted to give to his family. His wife would have been proud of their children: the eldest the First Palace Lady, the first son a close friend to the King and the other two… well, they still needed time to mature, especially that little brat called Kwon Seung-hyun. But he was so proud of them: everything they achieved was thanks to their talents, not their abilities to flatter the others.  But, on the other hand…

 

"Don’t tell me you are surprised, lord Kwon…"

 

"It’s just that my son is a man of action, I don’t know if he’s the best candidate for that position."

 

"Are you denying to your family the biggest charge in court because you think your son’s abilities aren’t good enough?" his eyes were so wide-open that it seemed they were about to fall. "Wow! I wished I had more humble people like you surrounding me."

 

Those were the actions that made King Seung-hyun trust the Kwon Clan above the rest: their honesty. And not because of weird rumors about a forbidden homoual relationship with Kwon Jiyong. “Yes! We kissed once! But it was for a bet I didn’t want to lose!” he froze in panic thinking about that weird night… he should learn and stop drinking.

 

"Thank you your majesty."

 

Kwon HyunSuk’s gratitude made him return to a less uncomfortable reality, which didn’t involve weird stuff and his friends mocking him. 

 

"That’s why I am going to give it to my brother, Choi Daesung. I know your son too well and he isn’t ready for such a responsibility."

 

"Sometimes I forget my son is your friend, forgive me, milord."

 

One of the members of his guard interrupted the two men.

 

"Royal Concubine Park Bom solicits an audience with the King."

 

Kwon HyunSuk and everyone in court knew that the days King Seung-hyun had to take hard decisions, without need to ask anyone about the King’s mood, Royal Concubine Bom visited King Seung-hyun with a plate of sweets. She had that natural talent to know when her beloved one needed her to forget for a few hours the burden of being King.  

 

"Tell Lord Heechul to move his spies at the Forbidden City. The Emperor is too quiet."

 

"Yes, your Majesty."

 

And with a slight bow Kwon HyunSuk left the two lovers have their moment alone.

 

"My poor Seung-hyun, you have bigger eye-bags than yesterday!" she complained "What time did you go to sleep? Eh?"

 

"My…"

 

"Shhh, don’t say anything and eat some."

 

She closed the king’s mouth with so many sweets that he had trouble to eat and all his clothes were covered in scraps.

 

"My King! You should be careful! Even Crown Prince has better eating habits…"

 

"Could you just stop teasing me, my Lady?"

 

"Ups… he’s calling me milady" she sounded worried "You must have had a terrible day then. Explain all you can, my lord. I’ll listen."

 

Park Bom knew that there were state affairs that Seung-hyun couldn’t share with her or anyone, so, as akways, she demanded him to explain only the things he was able to say. That way he opened his lonely heart. Excessive taxes, difficulties to keep stability in the coast, the Emperor's pressure, a plague that killed peasants not so long ago… Yes, she hardly ever heard about beautiful things when the Seung-hyun spoke about state affairs. 

 

"Do you think the Emperor is plotting something?"

 

"I dealt with two other emperors before him, but, Qing Geng is always noisy: he's one of those men that need to show off.  I am concerned."

 

"I will ask Queen Sandara to intensify the children’s security, then."

 

"Thank you, milady. You always know what I want to do before I even think about it."

 

"That’s the reason why you love me."

 

He looked at her in silence, marveled by Bom’s ability to understand him. Maybe giving birth to two children made her figure less attractive, but, in his opinion, she was the most beautiful woman in the whole world: both inside and outside.

 

"Shall we go outside?" even her couldn’t handle his intense stares: those eyes were fascinating  "The sky is clear today and the stars shine more than ever."

 

"Really?!" he exclaimed like an overexcited child. "I should take my catalogues to classify new discoveries!"

 

"Then go and run to your chambers, milord, to find them."

 

"It's not necessary."

 

He started moving weirdly, shaking his hips… Park Bom googled him as if he was getting possessed or something. “Should I call a shaman? What he’s doing for Heaven’s sake?!” she thought. But, after a sharp noise of a book falling, she understood everything.

 

"Don’t tell me you were that astronomy catalogue of yours all time with you instead of a sword to protect you…"

 

He was like a kid caught in a prank, with his cute dimples and guilty expression. But he was too cute that Bom couldn’t get angry at him. Really, when she was with him, Concubine Bom expected to get away of her duties as a mother, but the secret childish nature of the King didn’t allow her that.

 

"I have you to protect me, killing-machine."

 

"I should tell Dowager Queen about your attitude… did she give you something poisoned to eat when you were a kid?"

 

"I don’t know, why don’t you taste it?"

 

"Tast…"

 

And he kissed her fully in the lips, melting Bom, as he always did. Heaven’s knew how killing his kisses were: she became useless smelling his aroma and caressing his hair.

 

"That’s not fair, milord" she pretended to be angry by wiping her lips after the kiss.

 

"I know. Shall we go and watch the stars?"

 

"Do you pretend that I let you go out after that kiss, your Majesty?"

 

"No. I was just teasing you, my love."

 

"I love you, Choi Seung-hyun."

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

"Hyeongnim! Don’t say those things…"

 

"Yaaah! Seungri, stop filtring with that maid and go home to study."

 

Jiyong boxed the ears of his younger brother, and, since he was stronger, it was easy to force him to follow his steps. He complained and asked him to stop, because he was hurting him.

 

"You hurt more our Clan’s honor with your attitude, so, shut up!"

 

"I don’t want to!"

 

"Yes, you want!"

 

"Noooo!"

 

"Then… explain your reasons to nunim, she will be THRILLED to listen them."

 

And Seungri gulped, scared of her sister Bo Ah. Ever since their mother died giving birth to Seungri, she adopted the role of the strict mistress of the Clan, and, yes, she was intimidating.

 

"Now, go to your room and study."

 

"But I promised Lady Chaerin to go with her to the festival!"

 

"Are you going to compromise a young lady’s feelings because you can’t control your womanizer instincts?!" he shouted once they were inside the walls of their house. "You disgrace me and the whole family."

 

Kwon Jiyong forced him to sit in his desk and opened one of his philosophy books in front of Seungri.

 

"Read! This book saved me in my access exams to Sungkyunkwan. It’s a gift from the King, so you better treat it with respect."

 

"I don’t want to read about philosophy…" he cried out. "I want to read about ships and navigation."

 

Jiyong just ignored his little brother demand and obliged him to read those manuscripts. But, deep inside, he was proud of Seungri: he was showing the same tastes and attitude as him. “When he matures a little, he would be an excellent sailor” Jiyong thought.

 

"I’m leaving, you, brat."

 

And Seungri smiled: if he wasn’t going to be monitored, he could just escape from home and go to his date with Chaerin.

 

"Yuri! You keep an eye on him."

 

And his smile froze.

 

"Not HER!"

 

Kwon Yuri made appearance in the room: with her pretty green hanbok and two sharp swords in her hands. Again, Seungri gulped.

 

"Yes, orabeoni."

 

"Yah! It’s humiliating that my sister controls me."

 

"Then behave, and next time I won’t be your babysitter, you bastard."

 

"Hyeongnim!"

 

"Beg our brother, you rascal, like a damsel in distress."

 

"I’m not a damsel in distress, you, monster."

 

"Beg, beg, beg!"

 

"Yuri!"

 

"Poor boy, he can’t defend himself from a young lady. You are pathetic."

 

"I am not."

 

She looked fierce and scary, her dark eyes even darker. Slowly, she approached her older brother, placing a sword in front of his eyes.

 

"Then prove it and fight me."

 

But Seungri couldn’t, not because he didn’t want to harm a woman, no… it was because that woman could REALLY harm him. Kwon Yuri was an uncommon lady, and, with a military family, she showed magnificent sword fighting skills since she was a toddler. In a few years, even Jiyong and their father will have problems to defeat her.

 

"Enough, Yuri, and do what I asked, please."

 

"Okay, brother."

 

"Hey! Why are you so nice to her?"

 

"Because she’s a lady. Goodbye, you two."

 

Was he nice because her sister was a woman? Of course not! As Seungri, he was afraid of contradict that young lady: she will be dangerous in the future. But a Major General couldn’t let the others know he was afraid of losing against her younger sister. What would happen then to his reputation?

 

He left the two brothers, laughing hard at the scene he was leaving behind: Seungri trying be concentrated, while her younger sister placed with indifference a sword in his throat, and with her other hand tried to read.

 

"Well, Seungri, I also need to leave to the festival."

 

"Brother will get angry, because you know I won’t stay behind."

 

"That’s why I have a plan…"

 

She looked mischievously to her brother, and he froze.

 

"What are you doing?!"

 

After a few minutes, Seungri was tied and unable to move... his eyes fixed at the philosophy book he had in front of him. He seemed a giant chrysalis.

 

"Have a lovely evening, young brother."

 

She kissed his check and left the house with discretion, avoiding the servants. His brother, Seung-hyun, unable to speak because she covered his mouth.

 

"I am amazing" she boasted.

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

His friend looked majestic in his throne. With his demeanor, charisma and eyes, he was an intimidating sovereign. How wrong the peasants that solicited an audience were!

 

"He seems a King that can control the nobles."

 

"Yes, and so handsome."

 

"Wife!"

 

"I am sorry, but I am not yet blind."

 

Dong YoungBae, the scholar, entered the throne room, and saw Seung-hyun, Daesung and Jiyong whispering together. Again, they were planning something. And yes, when those three were together, it was dangerous.

 

"YoungBae!" Second Prince Daesung called. "Come here, come here."

 

"What are you talking about so secretly?"

 

The three men watched each other with complicity, and YoungBae was pissed by their secrets. They were acting weird.

 

"I heard rumors about a group of pirates who have landed in some of our islands" the King informed. "Is it right, Major General?"

 

"Yes, I confirm it to you, sir. And our main problem is that we thing one of the local governors is working with the pirates."

 

"What should we do, brother?"

 

"I think the wisest thing would be to send an emissary from Court to set justice to the traitor."

 

"But… Isn’t that village so far away from here, Major General?"

"Yes, indeed milord. In Jeju."

"How could I control an emissary so far away from here?"

 

"You should send a man you trust, orabeoni. Preferably from the Ministry of Justice."

 

Dong YoungBae paled, because by his friends’ expressions, yes, there was no doubt: they were thinking about him. These bastards wanted to send him to Jeju, far away from his wife and newborn.

 

"Congratulations on the birth of your boy!" Major General cried while hugging his friend. "They say new mothers and babies are annoying, so, when you come back home, your little Hanbin will be one year old and all those problems will have passed."

 

"But… but… but…"

 

YoungBae looked so pissed and sad that his friends couldn’t help but laugh out loud. He didn’t understand anything at all.

 

"Why are you laughing?"

 

"Poor YoungBae-ssi" Second Prince tried to say while controlling his giggles. "You should have seen your face... so funny."

 

"We didn’t think you were going to believe that terrible prank, YoungBae… we must be good actors, then."

 

"So… I don’t have to go to Jeju, then, Jiyong?"

 

"Of course not, YoungBae."

 

"You are too naïve for being a married man with a baby, Dong YoungBae" the king reproached.

 

"Sorry, milord."

 

"Don’t be. Let’s eat together and enjoy the festival, shall we?"

 

It was Chopail, Buddha’s birthday festival, and the temples were filled with lanterns. The four friends went to the small temple in the South part of the Palace to offer up some lanterns to their spiritual guide. And then, the four friends enjoyed a meal together, while discussing state problems.

 

"Ask the guards to separate a bit from us, Security Chief."

 

"As you wish, your Majesty."

 

"That way you can insult all of them and won’t be able to listen."

 

"Excellent! Because I have some complaints" joked Jiyong.

 

"Are you complaining about your own father’s Security System?"

 

"Of course! Always!" and he shouted so his father could hear him.

 

"You will get in trouble tonight at home, Major General."

 

"Then send me on a new mission, your Majesty, and I will avoid the trouble. Jeolla would be a nice destination."

 

"I will think about it and tomorrow you will have my answer, Major General. I would like you to stay in the Palace just in case."

 

"What do you fear, my lord?"

 

"I don’t know yet. I don’t know yet."

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

The three shadows met at the temple, in front of everyone. Since it was a day of festivities no-one will suspect of them chatting.

 

"How are going to proceed Huang Qi Zhen and Huang ZiTao if the King has increased the security in the royal family?"

 

"Don’t worry, they are experts. It will happen tonight, as it was planned."

 

"Let’s join our friends and families then with the festivities."

 

"Are you sure no-one will be suspicious?"

 

"Be careful of Lord HeeChul, so neither avoid him nor being noticed by his spies." 

 

"Okay."

 

"And the three shadows left the temple separately, with everyone ignoring they were involved in the Emperor’s plan."

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

"Jeongwan, how do you feel today?"

 

"Better, omma" the young Crown Prince said while coughing a bit.

 

"Rest now, my son. If you are a good boy, today we will go to the corridor and watch the fireworks."

 

"Has father prepared fireworks?"

 

"Of course, son. He knows you love them a lot."

 

"I love things in the sky, mother."

 

"I know, my boy. Now rest, my prince, and I will go to tell your father you are well-recovered."

 

Queen Sandara walked with her household to visit the King at his office, and, suddenly, they saw Major General Kwon Jiyong. He looked even more handsome after recovering from the war’s adversities. But, as she needed to seem indifferent, the Queen tried to control the blushing in her cheeks.

 

"Good afternoon, your Majesty" he bowed.

 

"Good afternoon, Major General. Have you recovered after your last campaign? My youngest brother mentioned you were quite tired…"

 

"Yes, your Majesty."

 

"I am glad to hear that. Pardon me, Major General, but, do you know if the King is in his studio?"

 

Anytime Sandara mentioned her husband, jealousy invaded the Major General, because, it reminded him the cruel reality: the love of his life was married to his best friend, and he couldn’t do anything about it, because, as a man of honor, he was loyal to his friends.

 

"I was with him just a few minutes ago, milady."

 

"Then I shall find him. Crown Prince Jeongwan has recovered from his fever. He will be happy."

 

Then, he remembered all they shared after four years of marriage was their son, and, since it was a precious baby, all jealousies fade away.

 

"I’m so glad to hear that. I will offer another lantern in the temple to celebrate this good news."

 

"Thank you, Major General. Have a nice day."

 

Sandara entered her husband’s studio only to find him so focused on some manuscripts that he forgot about the reality.

 

"I could be an assassin and you wouldn’t have noticed me, my King."

 

He startled and looked with a wide smile to his wife. Although they didn’t love each other, she was a dear friend and her jokes and witty comments were also welcomed.

 

"What brings you here, my Queen?"

 

"Jeongwan’s fever has gone and tomorrow he will be able to leave my chambers."

 

"Really?!" he sounded genuinely happy. "Thanks for taking care of him so much, my Queen."

 

"I am his mother, after all."

 

"Yes, you are."

 

And there was silence, so uncomfortable that changed the entire atmosphere in the room. In order to avoid it, Queen Sandara intervened.

 

"If you allow me, my King, I will return to Jeongwan’s side to care of him. He needs to rest."

 

"Of course you can leave, my Queen."

 

After the doors were closed, Seung-hyun closed his eyes and frowned.

 

"You can stop hiding, Major General."

 

"How did you know it was me?"

 

"I’ve known you for years, my friend. I know you never miss a chance to see my wife." Seung-hyun didn't say it to reproach anything, but, the fact Sandara was the Queen was a burden for all of them.

 

Kwon Jiyong went out from his hiding place, and stood in front of Seung-hyun, unable to look at him and ashamed for what he has done.

 

"After all these years?" Seung-hyun questioned half-joking in order to make Jiyong less uncomfortable.

 

"Always."

 

He was so serious saying it, and so hurt, that Seung-hyun felt the urge to apologise. 

 

"I am so sorry that she’s my wife, Jiyong." 

 

"I know, my King. And I also know you couldn’t choose: it was her or bankruptcy for the nation."

 

"She will always be the first lady of the nation, I assure you everyone is well aware of that." 

 

Seung-hyun couldn't love Sandara, and neither she. But at least, no lady will be more respected than her in th whole nation. He owned Jiyong that. 

 

"I know, my friend. After me, I couldn’t think of a kinder and better husband for Sandara."

 

"Would you like if we plan your next destination? I now see you need to leave the Palace."

 

"As you wish, my King."

 

And the two friends talked and read about the newest movements of the pirates, in order to plan their next steps. It was almost midnight when they were interrupted by the screams of the maids and guards.

 

"Fire! Fire in the Queen’s chambers!"

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

"But why you didn’t let your brother Kwon Seung-hyun come, Yuri? You are so mean!"

 

"I am doing this for you, young lady. He’s a womanizer and will only hurt you. Trust me, I live with him and he isn’t as dreamy as he makes women think."

 

"Really?" Chaerin sobbed.

 

"Trust a sister’s advice, Lady Chaerin" Princess Taeyeon intervened. "I would recommend my brothers as husbands to any young lady, but only because I know them well. Well, I don't know about Daesung, because, you know, he loves meditation so much I don't think he will ever concibe a baby" she laughed. 

 

The three ladies descended from their palanquins and entered the Princess’ chambers. They had a lovely evening contemplating the colorful lanterns illuminating the lakes and roofs of the temples, and also taste some delicious bibimbap. It was a vulgar food, yet so tasty that the three girls were thrilled to go to the festival, just to eat it.

 

"Look what I’ve got! Extra food!"

 

"Wooow!"

 

And the three girls were about to eat those treasures, but, as the other habitants of the Palace, they were interrupted by the screams and panic. Lady Bo Ah opened quickly the princess chamber’s, without permission, so, it was an emergency then. Taeyeon was shocked when she saw her aspect, Kwon Bo Ah was sweating and had her hanbok was covered in dust. That even alarmed her more.

 

"You should stay here, ladies. Ask the guards for information."

 

And she left again, leaving the three ladies frightened, especially when they heard:

 

"Fire in the Queen’s chambers! Fire in the Queen’s chambers!"

 

"My sister…"

 

Taeyeon tried to get out of the room and run to the Moon Palace, where Sandara’s chambers were placed. But the guards didn’t allow it.

 

"We have strict orders from the King, First Princess. You have to wait here."

 

It seemed the three girls should have stayed in the room, but, Yuri could perceive the princess helplessness and decided to become a lady of action once more. She raised her skirts and took off some knives and a sword, leaving Chaerin and Taeyeon speechless.

 

"But, but…"

 

"How can you have so many weapons under your dress?!" Chaerin yelled.

 

"Scold me later" and she gave a knife to each girl. "But thank me first."

 

Yuri’s scape plan was or the best plan ever or the worst. Taeyeon couldn’t choose. Yuri did a hole in the roof whit her sword, good enough to pass through it. Chaerin and Taeyeon decided not to think on how sharp that monster weapon should be to do that, and chose to be nice to Yuri for the rest of their lives, just in case. The Kwon Lady climbed easily, without any help, and offered her hand to the Princess, who was doubtful.

 

"Do you want to know if your sister is alright or not?"

 

The fear of losing Sandara, a woman she admired and respected because she was the best Queen she has ever known, made the princess leave her doubts behind and accept Yuri’s hand. With Chaerin’s help on the bottom, she was allowed to enter the garret with Yuri.

 

"Chaerin…"

 

"Go! I’ll cover you, girls!"

 

They slide through the garret, until Yuri made a sign to stop.

 

"I think I left a mark somewhere…"

 

"How many times have you been here, Yuri?" Taeyeon questioned, surprised of how her friend was able to move so easily there without any light to guide her.

 

"Is the best place in the world to avoid my bothersome brothers. Don’t judge me and move your , princess."

 

Yuri hit the roof with so much strength that she was able to move some tiles, and with difficulties, both ladies went out and faced the night. While trying to get out, Taeyeon could fell all her dress ripping, but she didn’t mind.

 

"Now, Princess, step on were I do, ALWAYS. We are going to descend the roof and it isn’t built to be an easy task."

 

Taeyeon nodded with determination, and, although she finally fell when she was almost on the floor, she didn’t complain for a second. There was smoke still in the Palace, so they run until they reach their destination. Only to find a hearth whelming scene…

 

"Broootheeer!" Taeyeon screamed while Daesung caught her.

 

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE, TAEYEON?!"

 

Daesung was mad, really mad, but he was glad her sister was there: so he can pretend he was comforting her and not the opposite.

 

"Brootheer!"

 

Taeyeon screamed for his brother Seung-hyun, who was sitting in front of Royal Concubine Park Bom. She was close enough to see her dress covered in blood and to see High Doctor's hopelessness expression.

 

"My love…" Seung-hyun’s voice cracked and Taeyeon could feel how his brother was controlling himself from crying.

 

"Someone attacked me…" Bom’s mouth was covered in blood, and the more she tried to speak, the more blood she had. "It was so cold… so cold…"

 

"Shhh, rest my love, you can explain me when you recover."

 

"Did I save the Crown Prince?"

 

"Yes, he’s safe with my mother."

 

"Thank God."

 

"My love… you were really brave."

 

"I’m so sorry for the Queen."

 

"You did your best, my love. Don’t be sorry."

 

"…"

 

She closed her eyes, and spam of pain made her groan. Taeyeon covered , waiting for the worst and buried her face in Daesung’s chest, trying to hold her tears: she was a Princess, and no-one will see her fall.

 

"Keep talking to me, please."

 

"Okay..."

 

"Thank you, my love."

 

"Seungie-hyun…" her voice was just a whisper, too weak that you needed to concentrate to understand her words.

 

"Yes?"

 

"Now you need to be my magistrate."

 

"Yes, I will. I promise, my love" and he kissed her bloody hand with devotion.

 

"I’m so cold, so cold…"

 

And she kept repeating it, each time with less and less strength, until, suddenly, there was no sound. Her eyes wide-open, looking at the sky. King Seung-hyun closed those beautiful eyes and hugged Royal Concubine with so much strength that there were needed four guards to separate him from her. 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A hint of History Part II.

 

The Art of War.

Is a book attributed to Chinese military Sun Tzu, in the 5th Century BC. It’s a book where he explains his conceptions about the army and military strategy, without forgetting about the economic management war had. It has been used by many strategists and it arrived to Europe with the Arabs, around the 15th Century, and it is said that Ferdinand from Aragon (who became the inspiration for Machiavelli in his essay The Prince) treasured this book. His observations about war and power were so accurate and honest, that it has been a reference book not only in the battle fields, but also in politics or fierce competitive environments.

 

The Buddha’s birthday.

Is a celebration held in lots of places around Asia to celebrate the birthday of Buddha. In Korea, it was (an is) held the 8th day of April. And it consists in offering lanterns at the temples, which also had the tradition to give food to the poor, especially bibimbap.