In the middle of the sea.

The Silver Dragons

Chapter 11. In the middle of the sea.

 

There were some things Kim Heechul couldn’t stand, and one of them was being awoken early in the morning. He thought his years of reputation working as the Chief of the Royal Investigation Bureau were enough to make everyone understand that simple rule. But no, that day, he had to be awoken before the 4th Ke.

 

"But milord…" Shen, one of his eunuch said. "I just couldn’t let that person wait.

 

"My dear Shen, come here" he said while moving his hand, inviting the eunuch to come closer, with a warm smile on his mouth. "Come here, yes, yes, don’t worry."

 

But Shen was worried than before, and only after his master insisted for about a minute, he decided to obey and get closer to him. Heechul hugged the eunuch warmly, and, once Shen relaxed, the noble proceeded to smack him in the nape.

 

"Master!" Shen complained.

 

"Tell my guest I’m not going to receive him, that I’m sick."

 

"But… Master! Liste…"

 

"Shhh" and Heechul hushed him with his hand. "Ashhh" he sighed. "I’m tired Shen! You should already know it’s really difficult to be me."

 

And to Shen’s despair, Kim Heechul took his blanked and lied on his bed once more, indifferent to everything happening outside his chambers. He was a special man, you know, Kim Heechul. Fan of literature and poems, couldn’t leave up to his father expectations to become a decent soldier. No, he preferred relaxing journeys, at his office, where all the birds will sing about secrets no-one ever dared to talk about. Where he would patiently listen… until some interesting melody would spoke about truth and betray to the crown. But also, he was a spoiled and overly confident lord, whose witty personality and vast knowledge about everyone made him think he could do as he pleased. And he thought that day, as always, everyone would obey him. Only the King was above him, and he loved to make the others understand that. Unfortunately, anything went as he thought.

 

Suddenly, the doors opened, making Shen froze in terror.

 

"Today I’m going to be murdered."

 

"I am so sorry to interrupt you Chief of the Royal Investigation Bureau, but I must speak with you, immediately."

 

The sweet and now familiar voice of the Chinese Queen made Heechul look with his eyes full of anger to his eunuch, who was looking to his master with his most convincing “I told you I had a reason” face. If that makes sense.

 

"A good morning would have been nice, your Majesty."

 

Shen stood terrified by the lack of respect showed by his master, but the small giggle of the Queen made him relax to the point he almost fell on the floor.

 

"I am such an airhead, milord. Of course I should have greeted you properly."

 

She spoke with subtle irony on her words, making lord Heechul to be silent. It was the first time someone caused that on his master and Shen was even more terrified than before.

 

"I think your eunuch isn’t feeling well, shall I ask my lady-in-waiting to accompany him to see the doctor. Seo Joo Hyun!"

 

"If you can accompany me" a lovely brunette asked.

 

Once everyone was left from the room, Kim Heechul spoke.

 

"What brings you here, your Majesty?"

 

His arrogance and over confidence made Mi-young slightly offended, but, she had already been worn about his façade. So she followed his game.

 

"Actually, nothing at all" she said smiling as if she seemed a fool little girl, lost in the middle of the forest.

 

"I do not understand…"

 

"I have seen that everyone in the Palace is unwillingly to speak with me because I am… how do you call me? The airhead Chinese ?" she said without any sign of hurt pride on her voice.

 

And Heechul looked to the floor, ashamed because, although he was sure the Queen had never listened to him, he had used that insult to refer to her highness. It was joking and he was quite drunk that time, but, still, it wasn’t alright. The Queen proceeded without hesitation and bright determination, as if those words couldn’t hurt her.

 

"Don’t feel sorry milord. I have listened worse."

 

She paused for some seconds, making sure the room was empty and no-one could listen. She was sure the skinny and gentle eunuch was somewhere, but since she couldn’t guess where she continued.

 

"I have no allies in court and it’s been really challenging for me to take full control of my new position."

 

Heechul looked at her with open eyes, waiting for more information.

 

"So I decided to pretend that I have allies in court. And that is the reason why I am here: after our meeting so early in the morning with all my entourage, everyone will think we have been talking. And they will get nervous."

 

"Who?"

 

"Everyone. You are the lord of spies, Kim Heechul!"

 

He felt offended because even this newcomer had been able to know his true nature in court easily. “I shall work harder to get unnoticed” he thought.

 

"Well, shall we go to your main room? I would like to embroider a silky shawl for Second Princess Ha Yi."

 

And the Queen was about to stand up, however, Heechul had to ask: he just couldn’t stay without knowing more information about the Queen mysterious actions.

 

"Your highness. Could it be possible to ask you something quite personal?"

 

"Ask and then I will decide if I answer."

 

He nodded.

 

"You know about my reputation, my Queen. Why are you explaining me all these?"

 

She raised and looked at him straight to the eyes, showing him his authority and determination to be respected as the Mother of the Nation.

 

"Because you only use your precious information when it is beneficial. And tell me, lord Heechul, how could my misfortune benefit you? You see? You do not have an answer."

 

Heechul guided the Queen towards one of the main gardens in his house, once he had been fully dressed by his eunuchs. Shen looked calmer and talking with lady Seo, who was the silent and obedient Queen’s shadow. The Korean-Chinese Lady-in-waiting not even traditions were able to dismiss. They sat on a porch, protected from the shinning sun. A bunch of hot sweets and warm tea were waiting for them. 

 

"May I ask you another question, my Queen?"

 

He said while serving some tea.

 

"As I said before: ask, but I might not answer."

 

"Well…"

 

A quiet shadow, one he didn’t noticed before, interrupted them and took first the tea from the Queen’s cup, without hesitation. He was a tall and skinny man, with intense eyes all dressed in red and black, a Chinese dragon on his back, designed in gold and showing his origin.

 

"Ignore my Chief Security and ask me your question, lord Heechul."

 

"Does all your entourage understand Korean?"

 

"Only lady Seo and lord Huang. Right, lord Huang?"

 

The skinny man returned to his discrete position once he was sure the tea wasn’t poisoned and without answering the Queen’s question.

 

"He is quite shy, my lord Huang Zitao. Right?" but he didn’t answer.

 

"Okay then…"

 

Kim Heechul took a bow almost lied down the floor.

 

"You have found an ally on my, your Highness" he said in perfect Chinese.

 

"I do not understand."

 

"I just like making people nervous."

 

"Then let them be nervous."

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

Mi-young returned to the palace before dinner, and the way everyone treated her was already different. So much gentle than before: all her maids were thrilled to assist her that night.

 

"I will assist the Queen today, you shall go."

 

The First Palace Lady made appearance, and with her petite yet intimidating position, all the maids obeyed without hesitation.

 

"I told you, your majesty" Kwon Bo-Ah whispered while taking out the Queen’s coat. "You needed Kim Heechul."

 

"Thank you kindly for your advice, First Palace Lady."

 

"Then tell me…" and she proceeded to take out the ornaments. "Was it difficult to convince him?"

 

"Not at all! You advised me efficiently, First Palace Lady. Thank you."

 

"You are welcome, your Majesty."

 

"Do you think he knows it’s you the person behind this approach?"

 

"Absolutely. But let’s get you ready for tonight, shall we?"

 

And the Queen’s expression turned sad, full of hopelessness. The shamans told the Royal Couple that today it was everything aligned and the Queen might be able to conceive an heir that night, so the King was about to visit her, following the tradition. As Bo-Ah was the only elder figure the Queen had in court (do not trust the Dowager Queen for intimate matters, it makes things too uncomfortable), the lady thought she should speak frankly. 

 

"My mother, may her memory be blessed, used to tell me her first years of marriage weren’t happy because my father, may his soul be at peace, was a difficult man."

 

Mi-young didn’t reply, and let those reassuring words comfort her soul. Ever since they married one month ago, King Seung-hyun had visited her five times and always because the “signs” were favorable for their union. Those five times, he simply slept beside her and left before she awoke, not a single word spoken. It didn’t matter she wore either silky and hanboks with some translucent fabrics or aphrodisiac perfumes. At least she admired the King’s determination to stay loyal to his principles.

 

"But it was time what made them close. And when she left us after my dongseng’s birth, he said he will never love another as much as he did. His last words were for her."

 

Mi-young was ready, and slightly calmed Bo-Ah spoke to her: as a Queen, she wasn’t able to share with anyone her personal issues with the King, but it was nice to see the efficient First Palace Lady was able to feel her sadness and comfort her.

 

"So do not worry, my Queen, because, sometimes, love comes slowly."

 

And Kwon Bo-Ah left once the King’s eunuchs informed of his arrival. “Gosh! Now I understand why Song Qian detested the encounters with my brother at court: it’s too uncomfortable!”.

 

He was as authoritative, cold and distant as always, with no-one daring to threat his commands. Once he said to everyone “leave”, everyone left, not a single moment of hesitation. 

 

"You have come earlier than usual, milord."

 

"I woke up earlier than usual, milady."

 

"Then you should rest, milord."

 

"That’s what I am going to do."

 

Even without changing his clothes, he lay on the mattress and not even five minutes later, he was sleeping.

 

Mi-young controlled her need to cry: the lack of pregnancies will make her seen as someone pitiful in court, with banishing power and authority. But she could do very little about it.

 

Feeling wide awake, she decided to read some of the Annals she had access and couldn’t feel more ashamed about the holes inside the Palace’s administration: factures for stupid stuff, excess of wood purchases for the heating, but then complains about the low temperatures inside the servant’s rooms. There were too obvious and clear signs of corruption, and she was so into the files that not even being sleepy could stop her from reading and classifying.

 

Around three in the morning, the King awoke, covered in sweat and uncomfortable, startling Mi-young in the process.

 

"Are you alright, milord?"

 

He observed at her surprised, with his big eyes and mouth wide open; dried saliva on his chin and his hat all messy. He looked really funny and out of place.

 

"Of course I am alright, why shouldn’t be?!"

 

"I don’t know, you have awoken so sudden, milord."

 

"Yes…" he affirmed. "It is just that I am uncomfortable."

 

"Why?"

 

"Well…" he hesitated, and the more intensely Mi-young gazed at him, the more uncomfortable he felt, especially with THAT night robe she was wearing. "Because I am uncomfortable."

 

And she giggled a little, too much in shock to dear to laugh more: she had to keep in mind that her husband behaved like a child just after getting up.

 

"Of course you are uncomfortable because you are uncomfortable, milord. Sorry to ask" she joked.

 

"Don’t dare to…"

 

"Or what? Tell everyone you are angry because I joked a little? Then you will lose all credibility, milord."

 

"Ashhh!"

 

He sighed and covered himself with the blanket once more, trying to sleep. Laying back so he could avoid the smell of orchids his wife emited. But he couldn’t: for some unknown reason, the noise the candles made while burning annoyed him in excess, and he was unable to sleep.

 

"Would you mind to tell me what are you reading, milady?" he said, without moving.

 

Mi-young startled, unable to speak: it was the first time King Seung-hyun had willingly spoken to her over the last few years. Not even when she arrived a few years ago to Joseon, waiting to get married, he exchanged more than five minutes of words with her.

 

"The… the…" she breathed a little. "The Annals, milord."

 

"They will be there tomorrow. You should get some sleep, my Queen" he moved a little in his blankets. "Goodnight."

 

Mi-young widely smiled and blow out the candles. Then, she lied on the mattress, backwards to the King. And, once she recovered from their small exchange, she whispered:

 

"Goodnight, my King."

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

It killed Taeyeon… to see him over there, his eyes with no shine, looking at the dark blue sea. Too sad and disappointed a war could have started in front of his eyes that he wouldn’t have noticed. Hanging in the major shrouds Kang SeungYoon was the spitting image of misery.

 

"Do not worry for him, princess" Kim Jong Hyun suggested while he was moving some heavy boards. "He’s a strong man."

 

"But it must be devastating…"

 

"Everyone in this ship has suffered from terrible destinies, princess."

 

One board fell and when Kim Jong Hyun bended down to pick it up one of his sleeves slid and Taeyeon was able to see a big ugly scar on his shoulder. That was when she realized it wasn’t the right time to talk about painful pasts.

 

"Would you like some help, Kim Jong Hyun?"

 

"Seriously? Those are heavy."

 

"Please, I need to do something!"

 

Jong Hyun glared at the Dragon, who had been observing the scene, and he nodded in agreement.

 

"Okay, princess."

 

"Hurray!" she celebrated.

 

After leaving in a hurry from Japan, the Silver Dragon was navigating in the middle of the ocean, so, there was any reason to keep princess Taeyeon chained at the deepest dock of the ship. They only kept Second Palace Lady, Lee Chaerin, chained. Because Heavens know this woman was capable of finding a way to kill them all and arrive to Joseon with difficulties. But, after all the struggles they had, Taeyang strongly recommended to give the princess some freedom.

 

"If we treated our enemies as they treated us, the world would be a terrible place" he affirmed in one of his moments of “I’m the voice of your coincidence, Jiyong, never forget that”. "It is not her fault."

 

And those words were haunting him since then. The accident with the infamous lady Lee Kyung Sung made him remember his past, and how betrayed he felt when his supposed best friend condemned his father to death. The despair he felt when in just one month, he lost the love of his life and his hero… he still remembered how he and his siblings hided in the forests, waiting to be caught.

 

 

-Flashback-

 

"What are we going to do? Eh?!" Seung-hyun cried while trying to light a fire, it was raining outside the cave. "Right now I guarantee you that in all the borders they will be searching for us!!!!! And they will kill you, like father, but, you know, ours will be a painful death… HOW DID YOU DARE TO HIT THE KING?!"

 

"Can you stop being an overdramatic punk?!" Yuri screamed. "Besides… he deserved it."

 

Both Kwon brothers kept fighting, and Jiyong was there, looking at the rain at the cave’s entrance. At least the storm had effaced track and it will be difficult for them to catch them. But Seung-hyun was right: without allies or a moment of luck, it will be impossible for them to leave Joseon. And after what he did to the king, and how they evaded the Palace’s security, the chances to find good friends willing to help no longer existed.

 

But Jiyong wasn’t unhappy. On the contrary: he prayed, prayed so strongly he wished death could come sooner to find him. That way he could be with Sandara for the eternity. His heart hurt so much he couldn’t understand how he was able to stand up. Maybe his need to find a safe place for his siblings before accepting his destiny and die. It was the last thing he could do for his family.

 

All were so into their own things that they noticed the intruders approaching too late.

 

-End of Flashback-

 

 

Jiyong thought, as SeungYoon, that he wouldn’t be able to handle it. But then, the opportunity of vengeance (maybe not the one he wanted) showed him the way to recover from his pain.

 

"Take this bucket carefully, princess." Jong Hyun said.

 

And Taeyeon followed him to one of the corners of the main deck. Over there, there was a big hole, caused by the cannons of the Joseon Navy.

 

"So… are you in charge of the ship’s maintenance?"

 

"More or less. I shall consult with the Master Builder once I have the chance. The damages are severe."

 

"Really?!"

 

"Yes… could you hold this here, princess?" and he started to hammer some nails. "The Thunder was ruthless with us."

 

"That’s why he’s called the Thunder," and she took one of the boards with all her strength. "He’s as fast and relentless as one."

 

"Yep, he’s an extremely efficient warrior."

 

"And so handsome… ashhh" Taeyeon whispered. 

 

"Well… I’m a man, not that I can notice that."

 

"Isn’t he handsome, Lady Kwon?"

 

Yuri, who was fixing her armor, startled for a second, only to answer coldly.

 

"I don’t know what you are talking about. Leave me alone."

 

And she turned around, so no-one could be able to see her blush.

 

"Sorry, Lady Kwon" Taeyeon apologized, but Yuri spoke no-more with her, and she felt sad once more: no matter what she did, her former friend never tried to make menses with her.

 

"Don’t waste your time with Yuri, she could have a God of unattainable beauty in front of her and she would never admit he’s handsome."

 

"So… do you admit he’s handsome?"

 

"My lips are sealed." and he changed the subject "Take this chisel and small hammer, and do as I do. We are going to caulk those boards. It’s really important, so, princess, pay attention please."

 

Taeyeon nodded and felt marveled: it was her the first time in her life she was able to do some manual work. Of course she has practiced some needlework, but she was so useless at it that even her governess gave up. Maybe because she found this task really useful that she was able to succeed.

 

"Amazing, princess!"

 

Taeyeon blushed, trying not to let Jong Hyun her words had a deep impact on her. “For once I’m doing something useful!”. But, she couldn’t, and, once more, she caused more trouble.

 

"Assh… it’s nothing, really…"

 

She hit the hammer with so much strength that she did a new hole on the surface. A big wood chip stuck in Jong Hyun’s hand, which was bleeding.

 

"SORRY!"

 

Taeyeon really created a huge mess: the tools, her worn-out dress and Kim Jong Hyun stained with her blood.

 

"What the…"

 

Jiyong run towards his subordinate, who maintained his composure: he was biting his lips, and holding his tears, but too proud to let a cry escape from his mouth. The others would laugh at him forever if he did.  Carefully, he examined his hand, and after cleaning it with some water, he yelled.

 

"YOUNGBAE! CALL PRETTY BOY!"

 

Taeyang left the deck running, screaming “pretty boy” non-stop and looking for him. Meanwhile, Jiyong focused all his attention towards his subordinate, who was trying to take off the wood from his hand. Jiyong had to stop him.

 

"I know this might hurt you, but, please, Jong Hyun, don’t be tempted to remove the chip until pretty boy tells you, okay? More blood will come out."

 

Jin woo arrived immediately and started to take care of Jong Hyun.

 

"We should go to my small lab; there I have all the ingredients to take care of him."

 

Carefully, Taeyang hold Jong Hyun tightly, and disappeared with Jin Woo. Taeyeon couldn’t stop repeating she was sorry and crying.

 

"Can you just for once behave like a proper adult?! What’s wrong with you, princess?!"

 

"I just…"

 

"If your brother had seen you today, he would have felt ashamed! Are you really a Joseon princess or just some spoiled brat?!"

 

"I… I just wanted to be useful. Like your crew."

 

"Well then! If you want to help like one of us, you shall be treated like one of us. So, I don’t care how you do it, but you’ll do Jong Hyun’s work while he recovers. You work until the job is finished. No pauses, no sleep. Understood?"

 

Taeyeon nodded and took the tools once more, fully focused on her task. The tears she had shed, soon were dry. And, when at dawn she wasn’t able to see anything, Onew, who was doing some patrol, gave her some lightened candles.  

 

"Find strength, princess! You’re doing it just fine."

 

By midnight, all the caulk was finished, and, Taeyeon felt sleep on the deck.

 

"It’s not her fault… never forget that Jiyong."

 

Jiyong and YoungBae saw the princess sleep on the floor, still holding with strength the chisel. For her first try, she had done a pretty decent work, and the rests of dry sweat on her forehead proved how much she worked to redeem herself.

 

"Goodnight, Jiyong."

 

YoungBae left, leaving Jiyong with the princess. The second in command knew Jiyong had been really harsh on her, more than usual. Last time they had an accident like this, when Kim Jong Hyun was learning to caulk, he wasn’t punished as this. It was an accident, and, as for it, understandable. Jiyong was cruel with his enemies, never with his crew. So, that night, YoungBae thought his best friend had to remember that it wasn’t First Princess Taeyeon who killed Sandara or gave the order to kill Kwon Hyun-Suk. Everything was more complex than that.

 

But, before leaving, he made sure Jiyong was alright. And, what he saw melted his heart a little: although she was a member of the Clan who destroyed him, Jiyong was gently covering her with a blanket.

 

"Thanks for your hard work." he whispered.

 

Maybe he was right, and, the brightness of princess Taeyeon could make shine once more the dark silver Dragon.

 

 

 

 

________________________________________________________

 

 

 

A hint of history...

The Annals of the Joseon Dinasty are the annual administrative/states affairs records of the Joseon Dinasty in Korea, and they are dated from 1413-1865. It consists on almost 2,000 books and they are considered the longest continued source of information in history. They are only missing two volumes. They were written in Korean but with Chinese characters.

 

 

______________________________________________________________________ 

 

 

 

A/N: And I’m back after a long break!

 

First of all, I would like to apologize because of the long delay. But, as I went through the first chapters of the Silver Dragons I realized it wasn’t taking the direction I liked, so I had to go on a period of reflection about “What can I do next?”. I have written the plot already, as how I want it to be constructed. Now, it’s time to develop it: keeping in mind what I wanted to do originally. There’s a reason why I’d chosen to call my fanfic Silver Dragons, and not Red/Golden… for instance. It just seemed I’d forgotten.

 

Until the next chapter!