The road to Karatsu.

The Silver Dragons

Chapter 7. The road to Karatsu.

 

 

"Aunt Han Byul, Aunt Ye Seul!"

 

"Omo! My Prince, you are so handsome!"

 

Indeed, the Crown Prince Jeongwan had become a handsome and youthful young boy. With a prominent jawline, he was the living image of the King, with the exception of his pale skin and kind nature. He had the spirit of her their beloved younger sister, Sandara.

 

"You look so handsome with your Crown Prince tunic!" Ye Seul complimented.

 

"And so honorable!" Han Byul added, respecting the hierarchy the matriarch of their Clan deserved, although she wished she just could kill Han Ye Seul.

 

"Thank you, aunt" and the ten year old blushed slightly.

 

"How are you feeling, Crown Prince? Now that we are alone you can explain your aunts whatever you want."

 

Jeongwan was a clever boy, and knew his aunts wanted to know if he was feeling alright with her mother’s imminent replacement. He hadn’t had lots of memories of her, and they provided the best stories... So, they had become like his fake mothers.

 

"She seems nice…" was all he was able to say-. "You know, Princess Mi-young."

 

"She’s indeed very beautiful and intelligent" Ye Seul said, hiding her true feelings: the possibility of new legitimate heirs who could threat Jeongwan’s birth right scared her. But, today wasn’t the moment to manipulate the young prince against the Chinese princess, step by step.

 

"And your half-sister Hayi loves her deeply" Han Byul remarked. “He needs to stop loving his half-brothers, they are threats and illegitimate”.

 

"Hayi loves everyone" he complained.

 

"Your half-sister" Han Byul insisted "is a friendly young lady, just like her mother" she added with disdain.

 

"I suppose…"

 

Both women looked at each other, proud. They mightn’t have yet manipulated the Crown Prince towards their interests, but, at least, he disliked former Royal Concubine Park Bom as much as the Parks of the East.

 

"Don’t worry, my young nephew, she will be a nice Queen. Unluckily, she won’t replace your mother but the nation needs a mother."

 

"Father told me he wished he didn’t have to marry."

 

"I know, because he doesn’t want to hurt you" Han Byul added sweetly whilst brushing Jeongwan’s hair. "You are his heir and his pride."

 

Since Sandara died, Park Han Byul, her older sister, and Han Ye Seul, her sister in law, had tried with all their strengths to reinforce the bond between the Crown Prince and the King. The Eastern Parks needed it if they wanted their family in power. So, as usually, neither Han Byul nor Ye Seul would speak badly of King Seung-hyun in front of his nephew, although all the family wished him weak and lost. But, as years passed, he was becoming more controlling and influential, even with the Crown Prince.

 

"The King has arrived!"

 

"Father!"

 

And Crown Prince Jeongwan didn’t follow the protocols and hugged his father, deeply. The King returned the hug with the same enthusiasm as the Prince.

 

"I’ve missed you, Jeongwan!"

 

"I saw you yesterday, father."

 

"Your aunts tend to kidnap you too often. Did you left the palace?"

 

"The Crown Prince should be allowed to leave the palace to see his subdits, your highness" Ye Seul argued. "Or at least come to our house, no harm could come there."

 

"But he’s the heir of the nation."

 

His eyes were so sharp and his voice so authoritative that both ladies felt uncomfortable and felt the King was plotting something.

 

"You should leave: I need to prepare for the ceremony."

 

The Parks bowed to their King and left, solemnly. The Prince was about to leave too, but his father stopped him, gently touching his shoulder.

 

"Would you like to help me with the preparations, son?"

 

"Yes, father."

 

King Seung-hyun might seem a tyrant for most people, and he knew he had done lots of mistakes in his life. His three children were his biggest pride, and only for them, he would do anything in his power to make them safe. Even if it meant that he should become a tyrant and get obsessed over their security to the point the three children weren’t allowed to leave the palace. “They need to be safe and protect each other, as my mother taught my siblings and me. If not, they others will manipulate them easily” he thought while his son was looking at his myeonrugwan, his crown, inherited from his father, King Choi JoonHong, known as the weak. Seung-hyun wore it always in special ceremonies because he wanted to remind everyone: a weak father is my burden, I won’t ever forget, but I will never be like him.

 

"One day you will also wear nine strings."

 

"No! I like father. Don’t leave me."

 

And he hugged his son, firmly. I won’t leave you until you are ready to the King.

 

"Then I will never be ready" he smiled, showing how he had already lost another baby tooth.

 

Seung-hyun adjusted his myeonrugwan firmly on his head and did the same for Jeongwan.

 

"It hurts, father!"

 

"Try to hide it from the others, understood?" he firmly said.

 

Jeongwan nodded and followed his father from behind, a bit nervous. It was going to be his first time showing himself as the Crown Prince in a public ceremony. The King said he was ready and her aunts too, but he was too scared.

 

Both walked with their entourage, slowly and with ceremony. The priests had to burn incense to purify the march, and it was really annoying. Finally, they arrived to Unhyeongung, where Princess Mi-young’s entourage was waiting, looking regal and astonishing beautiful in her blue and red wedding dress. It was Mi-young’s first time wearing traditional Korean clothes, and the outfit reserved for the Queen of Joseon, and she could feel the heaviness of history in every corner of that outfit. She was used to millenary traditions, but, wearing something so symbolic and becoming for the first time in her life a piece in the game of power, made her feel anxious. Her checks were red and her forehead sweaty, forcing poor SooHyun to patiently clean her.

 

"Relax your highness. Everything will be just fine."

 

Seung-hyun was approaching her, with a face without expressions, and, all she was able to think was how live up his expectations. Rumors said Queen Sandara was a gentle, composed and caring Queen, who loved her people, cared of them and directed her household with efficiency. Will she be able to be someday as good as her? She wasn’t a gentle and composed woman and let her emotions control her too much.

 

"Queen Mi-young…"

 

She returned to reality and realized Seung-hyun was a few inches from her, offering his hand to her. With hesitation, she held it: it was warm, soft and bigger than hers, but she felt goosebumps in all her body. It was the first time she touched him, and the feeling couldn’t be better: somehow, it fitted.

 

Both of them bowed to each other, with the help of their servants, because the outfits were too flamboyant. And once they finished, they sat on their thrones, looking at the Court. Then, with his deep voice, the King spoke.

 

"Today I present to the Court the mother of this nation, Queen Qing Mi-young. You shall treat her with the respect she deserves."

 

And everyone bowed, to Mi-young’s dismay: she was used to reverences, but, seeing so many people showing their respects to her, it was kind of embarrassing. And she started sweating once more, too nervous to handle it.

 

"Don’t feel uncomfortable, Queen Mi-young" Seung-hyun whispered to her.

 

"Sorry, my King, but it’s too much attention."

 

"A Queen shouldn’t let her emotions control her" he reprimanded. "I thought the Empress thought you that."

 

"I was isolated at the Forbidden City and the only people I was allowed to speak with where the Empress Song Qian and the Imperial Children." she explained. "Not even my sisters…"

 

And Seung-hyun saw the pain in her pale complexion, and how she was trying to hold her tears with pride. “She must have been very lonely. Poor girl… Well, woman I suppose, she’s only six years younger than me”. Yes, woman indeed… she might have been a beautiful young lady when she arrived two years ago to his Court, but, somehow, Mi-young became more radiant as months passed by and left any childish features behind.  

 

After the whole court greeted their Kings and offered their respects to the new Queen, including the royal children, both entourages: the King’s and the Queen’s left to leave the newlyweds spend their first dinner and night together. And then, when they were left alone, Mi-young’s nervousness arose to its maximum levels, and her forehead was so sweaty she had seem to take a shower.

 

"You really need to control yourself" Seung-hyun said after stopping eating.

 

He sat closer to Mi-young, and took her wig carefully, what led her hair fall in cascade. It was even longer than Taeyeon’s, which seemed amazing to Seung-hyun. But afraid of his touch, Mi-young grabbed his hand.

 

"Don’t worry, I will never touch you, my Queen."

 

And Mi-young didn’t know how to feel about that serious statement.

 

"Pardon?"

 

"I won’t touch you, my Queen. You will be the mother of the nation, but not the mother of my children or my wife."

 

"But… It thought."

 

"What?" he inquired. "Just because everyone seems to like it means I can trust you too. You are the sister…"

 

"Half-sister."

 

"But you are a Qing."

 

He moved even closer and Mi-young petrified. He smelled strongly, and wasn’t able to describe it, but, his fragrance was as hypnotizing as his eyes, which were dark and full of hate.

 

"Your family took away my Arang and my heart. Don’t expect to have a place on it."

 

After saying it, he took a knife, and cut one of his fingertips. He pressed it strongly until there was some blood running free throw his finger. Then, he cleaned his finger in the sheets.

 

"That way everyone will think our marriage has been consummated and your brother won’t be able to claim anything. I’ll visit you frequently and pretend we have intimacy so no-one gets suspicious. But nothing will happen, never." he firmly said.

 

He looked at Mi-young, feeling almost pity: maybe some children would have made her less miserable in her life, but, he was taking away from her that possibility.

 

"Will you be able to hide the truth?" and he wiped some of the tears which started falling through her cheeks.

 

"I was raised in the Forbidden City, my King. I know how to keep secrets."

 

"Then, goodnight, my Queen."

 

"Goodnight, my King."

 

And everything went dark and silent.

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

"I am so sorry because this room is really uncomfortable, Princess."

 

Of all the Silver Dragons, Taeyeon felt the most comfortable with Kim Jonghyun. He was so attentive and yet he never made her feel uncomfortable with his comments or manners. The others were quite… indefinable.

 

"Take those blankets, princess Taeyeon. Tonight might be cold. I’ll leave you alone. Goodnight princess."

 

"Goodnight mister Kim Jonghyun."

 

"Try to get some sleep, princess" he said before closing the door.

 

And although they smelled terribly, the brown blankets helped Taeyeon to stop shivering. She felt uneasy after the intense changes she faced: new environment, food, sleeping habits… and since she wasn’t able to walk around or visit any places apart from the palace, it seemed she was getting sick.

 

Suddenly, the door opened, and a really wet Jiyong entered the room, taking off his shirt in the process and making Taeyeon blush immediately.

 

"What are you doing, Kwon Jiyong?!" she complained.

 

"It’s Dragon, not Jiyong."

 

"Then dress properly!"

 

"This is my room: I can do what I please."

 

"YOUR ROOM?!" she screamed in panick, the giggles of some Silver Dragons could be heard outside the room.

 

"My men need to guard your super swordfighter protector 24 hours a day because she might create more chaos. It took us four hours to tie her" and the memories of Chaerin’s kicks on his stomach made Jiyong terrified. "Brrrr… anyways. I will take care of you now."

 

"Why you?" she said in disgust.

 

"Hey!" Jiyong defended himself. "I am doing this for your honor. You are too beautiful for your own health: do you want to get by a bunch of man who can control themselves?"

 

And now it was Taeyeon’s turn to get terrified and petrified because of the possibility of being but also because it was the first time she heard Jiyong saying she was pretty. A few years ago, when her childish behavior controlled her, Taeyeon might have felt flattered, but now… well, it only made her blush slightly.

 

"No…"

 

"Then bear it."

 

And without any type of modesty, he started to get undressed. His skinny, tattooed and pale body running around finding some dried clothes. At this vision, Taeyeon covered her face with the blankets, hoping he will get changed soon: the smell was too awful to handle.

 

"I am presentable again."

 

"Thank the Gods!"

 

Taeyeon uncovered herself, only to see Jiyong a few inches from her. He was wearing a white tunic, and his long black hair was tied again, but still wet. She blushed slightly and felt uncomfortable.

 

"Hey! I am not that ugly…"

 

"Who will marry me after sharing a room with a man?!"

 

"Ayo! Who will wish to marry a Chinese prince?"

 

"I have to marry him, not that I wish it…"

 

"Then I am helping you to avoid it" Jiyong said happily. "Thank me."

 

She laughed cynically.

 

"I am not like you: I can’t avoid my duties and forget about my family’s honor just because I suffered a mishap" Taeyeon affirmed.

 

"And there she strikes again! The proud Princess" and he hold her chin to force her to look him in the yes. "But no princess, don’t expect me to follow your game, no."

 

Both went to sleep, and because of the emotions they suffered thought that day with the assault, felt sleep immediately. Unfortunately, a few hours later, Jiyong suddenly woke up, his sword in his hand, after hearing someone screaming in pain. He turned around, only to see Taeyon struggling on the floor, her face covered in sweat.

 

"No! Booom! No, please! Sandara!"

 

After hearing his love’s name, Jiyong run towards Taeyeon, her cheeks were red so he touched her forehead.

 

"You have a gigantic fever, princess…"

 

"Sandara! Bom!"

 

And she awoke and rose from the floor, in shock and breathing with difficulties. Looking around in panic.

 

"Shhh, shhh… alright, princess. You are in my ship, remember?"

 

There was full moon, so the room was well illuminated and Jiyong, who was used to darkness, was able to see Taeyeon’s face clearly. She nodded, but after realizing where she was, she started crying uncontrollably. Maybe it was the fever what made her a bit unstable.

 

"Why did they have to leave us, Jiyong?"

 

"Who?"

 

"Sandara and Bom, Jiyong! I wish I could be as responsible as Sandara and as cheerful as Bom… I miss them, Jiyong."

 

Me too, you don’t know how much, Taeyeon” he thought. But he wasn’t going to share his burdens with her: she was a Joseon Princess after all.

 

"What happened, Taeyeon?"

 

"Nightmare… Bom… blood…" 

 

And she cried even more, unable to neither speak nor breathe properly.

 

"Shhhh, shhh, it’s alright."

 

Jiyong was unable to heal Taeyeon’s scars, so, he did the only thing he could: heal her fever. With extreme caution, he took Taeyeon in his arms and laid her on his bed, to make her feel more comfortable. Then, he took his barrel of water and soaked the cleanest cloth he was able to find, and, with caution, covered Taeyeon’s face with it.

 

"Why are you so nice?" she asked sighing.

 

Yes, why am I so sudden nice with her, eh? I am a pirate; I shouldn’t be considerate… but…” But, for the first time in years, he was able to see a member of the Royal family without hate, as an equal. Taeyeon didn’t have to do much: only show him that he wasn’t the only one who suffered when Sandara died and who missed her terribly. And, he understood he wasn’t alone in his pain and it wasn’t Taeyeon’s fault what happened to his beloved and his father. She lost a sister too. Well, two to be exactly. “Park Bom should be remembered too, she was an innocent and brave woman”. Nevertheless, he wasn’t going to share his thoughts with Taeyeon: “I have an image to protect, you know”.

 

"Try to sleep princess, tomorrow morning we will try to see a doctor in Karatsu."

 

And Jiyong stood awake all night, keeping Taeyeon’s cloth wet in her soft and milky forehead. At daybreak, she was sleeping peacefully, her demons calmed for a while.

 

 

 

___________________________________________________________________

 

A/N:

 

Once again thanks to all the subscribers and the comments. I am so happy most of you seemed to like my history explanations ^^.

As for today, I don’t have too much to say: I am busy with exams and preparing evaluations for my students (I am a Spanish language assistant, so yes, I have work to do).

Well, I lied… if you are interested in Joseon’s fashion, this link might be useful for you to know the names of some of the clothes and crowns we have seen thousands of times in k-dramas.

 

https://thetalkingcupboard.com/2012/03/03/joseons-court-attire-kdrama-style/

 

 

I used this link and the book Joseon Royal Court Culture: Ceremonial and Daily Life by Myung-ho Shin. It’s quite long and a bit academic, but, I think the translation is well-made and the text flows, so it isn’t a tough reading.

 

Next week (because I doubt I can upload earlier, sorry T.T) we will arrive to Japan and there will be some cute interactions and unexpected couples!

 

Have a lovely weekend ^^