The first shadow.

The Silver Dragons

Chapter 18. The first shadow.

 

"Your majesties! Your majesties!"

 

Kwon Bo Ah was running through the entire palace, without caring about the protocols or anything. She ran so fast that when someone of the eunuch tried to greet her, she was already gone, like a bolt.

 

"Your majesties!"

 

She suddenly stopped in front of the doors of the Queen Dowager’s chambers but couldn’t enter: ever since the attack at the Queen, two days before, the security had increased a lot, and the First Palace Lady had to be interrogated.

 

"There is no need for that!" an out of breath Second Prince Daesung ordered. "Lady Kwon, I did not knew you were such a fast runner. Give me a second, I beg you."

 

"But, but…"

 

"I know it is very exciting, but my mother and my nephews are still in shock and we should not stress them."

 

"Of course, Second Prince."

 

Once Daesung recovered from the sprint, they went into Uhm Jung Hwa chambers. The Dowager Queen was having dinner with the Royal Children, in absolute silence. Just the fact that they were unable to stay with the Queen made them so frustrated that nobody wanted to speak. Not even the talkative Jeongwan. The way Queen Mi-young protected him with all she had made him question everything about the foreign princess. “Maybe she truly wants to love me and my siblings.” the Crown Prince thought. “Maybe my aunts were exaggerating because they are still sad about mother’s death.

 

"Good evening, mother, princes, princess. May I offer you some distraction with my company?"

 

"I don’t think I deserve any distraction, uncle." Jeongwan had to hold his tears once more: he felt so guilty.

 

"For the millionth time, Crown Prince." the Dowager Queen said. "It was the Queen’s choice to save you."

 

"But… I have so cruel with her, grandmother!"

 

The Crown Prince, still a child, hugged his grandmother and started crying. Jung Hwa held him tightly and consoled him. The poor Yeon Jun, who was a sensible boy, was infected by his older brother’s despondency.

 

"See, Crown Prince!" Ha Yi intervened. "You are our oldest brother: you must be strong and not cry, please."

 

"Your sister is right, Jeongwan."

 

With all the strength he had, the Crown Prince controlled his urge to sob, and, after a few minutes, he tried to give his uncle a big smile.

 

"That’s better, Crown Prince. I am proud of you."

 

"Thank you, uncle." he wiped out the remaining tears with his sleeves. "What distraction do you want to offer us?"

 

Daesung smirked and went straight to the door, ready to open it in a second.

 

"A magic trick."

 

"I like magic!" Yeon Jun exclaimed.

 

"But, you have to close your eyes. Even you, mother."

 

Uhm Jung Hwa frowned her forehead, not sure about her son’s intentions. But, since even the First Palace Lady was encouraging her to do it, with a wide smile on her face, she had to follow the instructions.

 

"Okay, we are ready."

 

A woman, by the sound her gown made while walking, entered the room. “Maybe she is the magician.” the Dowager Queen thought. “But usually, they are men. She must be really good, then.

 

The woman sat in front of her, holding her hands tightly. And Jung Hwa froze for a second.

 

"Wait… those hands…"

 

The Dowager Queen opened her eyes, and the beautiful face of her youngest daughter, Taeyeon, was in front of her. She was crying silently, with a wide smile. At first, Uhm Jung Hwa did not know how to react, or if it was an illusion created by the magician. So, without an expression full of curiosity, Jung Hwa placed her hand in Taeyeon’s wet checks, and the princess responded by holding it tightly.

 

"Hello, mother."

 

"Taaaa…eeeyeee…"

 

And the Queen suddenly hugged her daughter. A few seconds later, she was sobbing with so much energy that the Royal Children opened their eyes, scared something bad might have happened.

 

"Aunt." Yeon Jun said.

 

"You are…" Ha Yi added.

 

"ALIVE!" the three yelled.

 

It was such a lovely scene that Kwon Bo Ah, a woman used to control her emotions to the limit, couldn’t hold her tears. The happy face of a mother who reunites with a long lost daughter is something that could make emotional everyone.

 

"My baby… my lovely and sweet daughter… you are back, you are back, my love." she waved Taeyeon in her arms as if she was still an infant.

 

"I have missed you." and Taeyeon held her mother with even more strength.

 

"Second Prince! Please, hug your mother."

 

Uhm Jung Hwa moved one of her arms and put it around Daesung’s shoulder, burying her head between the shoulders of her beloved children. The three Royal Children, hugging their aunt the best way they could. Jeongwan was holding Taeyeon’s free arm, Ha Yi her waist and the poor Yeon Jun, one of her legs. They were all so lousy crying that some guards entered the room, scared something had happened.

 

"Shhhh… do not say anything." the First Palace Lady ordered. "Please, accompany me outside, soldiers, and let’s give this family a moment of happiness."

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Is that really you, my daughter?"

 

Both mother and daughter were sleeping together in the Dowager Queen’s chambers. She just couldn’t lose Taeyeon out of her sight once more: she wasn’t ready for it yet. They were hugging in the mattress.

 

"For the millionth time, mother! YES! I am your daughter, the one who paints landscapes and does not know how to swim!"

 

"Even after living with pirates?" the anger made her stand up and sit down, looking at her daughter with anger. "THOSE BASTARDS! THEY WILL PAY WITH THEIR LIVES!"

 

"They never touched me or hurt me, mother." Taeyeon tried to calm her. "In fact, it was the leader of the Silver Dragons who set me free."

 

Those words shocked her, but, what she was saying was right: they never hurt her daughter. When they hugged and kissed each other long enough, the Dowager Queen helped her daughter to get cleaned, and with Taeyeon’s permission, she checked that everything was alright. And, indeed, everything was alright: not a single bruise, well-hydrated, no signs of or malnutrition. Everything was too good to be true. And, by the way her daughter was behaving; she didn’t seem to have too many traumatic memories. Taeyeon held her mother’s hand and spoke.

 

"Kwon Jiyong is just a man who has not moved on, mother. Queen Sandara was too precious for him, and he wanted to make us suffer."

 

"WE ALSO SUFFERED WHEN SANDARA DIED! HOW DARE HIM!"

 

"It is all over now, mother." and Uhm Jung Hwa could sense sadness in her daughter’s words. "It is all over…"

 

"We should not be speaking about bad memories." the Dowager Queen said. "We should be resting now."

 

Taeyeon lie down on the mattress once more, and her mother covered them with the blanket. She was too old for those things, but, after all the suffering, it seemed right to do an exception.

 

"When will I be able to see my oldest brother, mother?

 

"Your brother doesn’t leave the Queen’s chambers, so, I suppose tomorrow morning, when he gets some rest.

 

"So..." Taeyeon yawned-. They finally got married… And I have missed it!- she complained.

 

"Do not worry. They had had a really cold relationship… until the attack.

 

"What happened, mother?

 

"Your brother could not stop telling her how much he loved the Queen." she giggled a little, because it had been a very romantic scene and she didn't know her son was such an intense man. But, in a few seconds, the Dowager Queen was sad again. "Such a tragedy!"

 

"My poor brother… I hope he doesn’t lose his love again."

 

I hope too. Tomorrow we will be at the temple praying all day for the Queen’s recovery. You should see the city sights from the towers of the Palace: in all the houses there are candles to honor her."

 

"I always knew Mi-young would become a beloved and fair ruler. I need to see my friend, mother."

 

"I know, I know. But, let me be selfish today, my daughter."

 

"All right, mother."

 

And mother and daughter fell sleep in a warm embrace.  

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

The Empress Qing Song walked gracefully through the corridors of the Imperial Palace, an urgent letter on her hand. Even though she had given birth to her third male heir, Qing Yi En, the Empress was already fully-recovered from childbirth. She waited in front of the enormous gates of the Throne Room.

 

"Inform the Emperor the Empress wishes to speak to him."

 

"But… your Imperial highness, you should be resting." the leader of the eunuchs of the Forbidden City suggested.

 

"The Emperor’s half-sister has been severely wounded. I promise I will rest in my chambers when I can see the Emperor."

 

"There will be no need of an audience, my beloved Empress."

 

At first, the Emperor disliked her Empress, almost hated her, because, not long after their marriage, seven years ago, she suffered a miscarriage, and his first son died. Everyone thought the Empress was barren. He had to control himself to find a new substitute for her place, but he couldn’t: she was the great-granddaughter of the last emperor of the Ming Dynasty, the only living member of the household: if he wanted the enemies of the Qing Dynasty to disappear: Qing Geng had to have male heirs with her, to unite both houses. For that reason, Qing (former Ming) Song went to intensive care with the best doctors in the Empire, and, after a while, the Empress healed her infertility. She gave birth five years ago to Prince Qing Yixing, a healthy, witty and handsome boy. Even less than two years later, she gave birth once more to the loyal and clever Qing Chen. They were so healthy, so perfect and so strong he thought it was a miracle from the Gods that he had had the change to marry such a virtuous woman. Without realizing it, Qing Gen had developed feelings for the Empress.

 

"The Empress has done through lots of physical and mental pressure to heal and bring my sons into this world: I must protect her from any harm. The shamans had predicted the Empress will birth six sons and two daughters, and all will reach adulthood."

 

He was so much in love it had become an obsession for him: the predictions of eight children. The last Empress able to do that had been born three hundred years before, which made his wife the most precious possession of the nation: she was the key to his legacy. For that reason, Empress Song could not be in the same room with other men, not even the eunuch, because he couldn’t stand the idea of any man breathing the same air as her. She was a beautiful goddess that was blessed with the greatest fertility between all his Consorts and Concubines, who had only given him daughters. She had to be protected and kept as the most delicate treasure in the whole nation, even though Qing Song was known for her support towards the Korean cause and many had advised him to depose her. “How can I dispose such a beautiful woman who every time she gets pregnant she gives me a healthy male heir? Our dynasty needs to settle. ” he thought, while running next to his tired wife.  

 

"What do you need, my beloved Empress?"

 

After the birth of Qing Yi En, the Emperor had decided to call her his beloved, and commanded to write in all the official documents that title, together with the others Song hold. The Empress couldn’t feel less disgusted, because she disliked her husband to the point she cleaned herself every time they had intimacy. He was the grandson of the man who killed his whole family. But, she could not let anyone know how she felt: she was the Mother of the Chinese Empire and last survivor of the Ming Dynasty. She promised her mother she would survive become Empress Dowager, that way her children would not repeat the sins of their antecessors. So, as always, she faked and pretended she deeply loved her Emperor. “Only with his unconditional love my children and I will survive at the Forbidden City.” she thought when she bowed.

 

"Please, do not do that in your state, my dearest. I do not want you to feel obliged. You have just given birth."

 

"You are my beloved Emperor. It is never an obligation to show my respect."

 

"How can you be so beautiful after giving birth again?" and he hugged her.

 

"I am so grateful for your highness compliments. Although I do not think I deserve them in such a state…" Qing Song knew her beauty was a weakness for the Emperor, so, every morning, no matter how she felt, Song followed a strict beauty routine. She was just pretending.

 

"You are so beautiful, my beloved Empress."

 

She tried to control her need to vomit when he caressed her check, but, Song was an excellent actress: she could fake passion and love easily. The Emperor offered her his arm, and both walked inside the Throne Room, everyone bowing behind them. 

 

"Tell me, what concerns you, my beloved Empress?"

 

"I have received a letter from the ambassador’s wife in Joseon."

 

"Are you sure it was written by his wife?!" he raged. "You cannot speak with any men!"

 

"It is true, my Emperor. You can verify it if it is your wish." she offered him the letter.

 

He read the letter carefully, shocked by the content.

 

"My sister Mi-young is severely injured. BUT IT WAS THE CROWN PRINCE THE ONE I WANTED DEAD! GUARDS! GO AN SEARCH FOR HUANG ZITAO! I WANT HIM DEAD FOR HIS INCOMPETENCE!"

 

I have always known you were the one behind the tragedy of the Joseon King, Qing Geng.Song thought, and she had to control her urge kill him, hidden it by placing a comforting hand on the Emperor’s shoulder, telling him everything was going to be alright.

 

"I don’t know what I would do without you, my Empress."

 

All the people inside the Throne Room started to move, following the Emperor’s instructions, but, he stopped one of his generals, and whispered.

 

"And tell our ambassador that he must punish his wife."

 

"Why?" Qing Song asked.

 

"Because her letter altered you, my dearest. And you have just given birth. Nobody can harm you."

 

Qing Song pretended she was feeling weak and retired to her chambers. Once she was inside, she called her brother: the only man allowed being around her.

 

"Do whatever your need to do, but, please, ask our ambassador in Joseon not to punish his wife severely. Please."

 

She went to her son’s nursery, and hugged her newborn son tightly, whispering in his small ear.

 

"I hope your aunt survives, my sweet Yi En, if not, your father is going to get really mad."

 

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Your majesty…" Lee SooHyuk insisted. "You have to go to the meeting."

 

"I cannot go, she might wake up at any second."

 

"But… the kingdom…"

 

"I am so tired of putting the kingdom before what matters to me. Please, I do not have the strength to face the world today, my friend."

 

With a small and comprehensive nod, Lee SooHyuk left the chambers, leaving the inconsolable King behind. Only four times in his life had Lee SooHyuk listened the King of Joseon calling him “my friend”. The first one when he was about to be crowned king, the second when Jeongwan was born, the third one when Park Bom died, and the last one was that morning. It wasn’t that much, but, enough for him to be a loyal friend and advisor for the rest of his life.

 

Seung-hyun was so focused on Mi-young’s face that he didn’t listen to SooHyuk leaving the room and felt sorry for his lack of attention towards the others. But, he couldn’t help it: he had hit rock bottom.

 

First it was his brother, Choi Dong Wook, who died when Seung-hyun was fifteen, forcing the situation to marry Sandara because his family couldn’t lose the support of her clan. After, when he was seventeen, his father passed away, before he felt ready to rule the nation. At 22, his Queen, his love, and almost his heir perished. He lost his best friend, who became one of his biggest enemies. Now, at 29, he’d almost lost his beloved son again, and might lose his beloved wife. Too many deaths haunted him and filled his hearth with guilt.

 

"I am so sorry, Mi-young." and he put a wet cloth on her forehead, to control her fever. "Forgive me, my beloved Mi-young."

 

Seung-hyun didn’t move from the room, nor allowed anyone to take care of the Queen without his consent: to get that close, twice, someone close to the Royal Family must have been helping Huang Qi Zhen and Huang Zitao. He couldn’t put his family in more danger once again, not now they were so close to catch them.

 

Carefully, he changed her clothes and controlled her temperature with medicines and fresh cloths. If was vital Mi-young passed that night, because, she had been more than a week sleeping and suffering: she had lost too much energy to keep fighting against her infections.

 

"I have been so selfish… so rude, so disrespectful… and what did I receive in return? Only love and kindness. Please, let me make menses and do not die, please."

 

He was so focused on taking care of Mi-young that he didn’t listen the door. Only when the soft and pale hands took the cloth he didn’t place properly because Seung-hyun was too exhausted to continue, the King reacted.

 

"Good night, orabeoni."

 

"Taeyeon?"

 

Seung-hyun couldn’t believe his eyes, and took his sister’s face between his big hands, unable to look something else than her eyes. “Now I understand why everyone gets nervous with my brother’s intense gazes.” Taeyeon thought, while closing her eyes and caressing her brother’s hand, enjoying the moment and holding her tears because she missed him so much.

 

"Taeyeon! I am so sorry! I am so sorry!"

 

And Seung-hyun, a man who hadn’t cried in his whole life, cried. He felt exhausted, failure, frustration, anger and guilt… Guilt for those who he had left behind, for the lives lost, for the life he didn’t chose to live, for his lonely burden.

 

Taeyeon hugged him tightly, and let him cry on her lap. Small on the back. The princess cried in silence, but, because she couldn’t be happier: she was back, with her beloved ones and ready to find the culprits who had made them suffer. 

 

"You do not have to apologize, brother. Truly."

 

"A wise King must recognize when he is wrong."

 

"But not now, okay? Now is the moment to ask for some invigorating warm teas and be awake all night to take care of the Queen. The doctors told me she has to pass this night, am I alright?"

 

"Yes..."

 

"Then, brother. Today, we will take care of her together. And tomorrow, no matter what happens, you will leave this room and take care of your responsibilities."

 

"But…"

 

"I have known Mi-young for years and she is a woman of State. She would be mad at you for your lack of dedication to your duties."

 

Seung-hyun nodded, and, giving each other strength, both Chois were able to stay awoken all-night, not leaving Mi-young’s side.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

"I am so glad that you have returned, lady Hyori."

 

"I am not a lady, lord SooHyuk."

 

"Yes, and I will continue calling you that way."

 

"Lord SooHyuk. You are too gentle."

 

"I have dealt with so many noble ladies, and not all of them deserve the title they have. You do."

 

Lee Hyori smiled and finished her cup of tea, only to explain to Lee SooHyuk how she did not found any evidence at the Royal Stables.

 

"Why are so sure he was kidnapped there, lady Hyori?"

 

"I have not seen lord Heechul for years, but, once you know him, he is a man of routines. When he travels alone he always goes with his loyal horse, and the poor thing was scared at the Royal Stables. If he had got the time to pick the horse, we wouldn’t have found it there."

 

"Have you also taken control of HeeChul’s birds?"

 

"I have always been the one controlling them, even in the Island. But, without him here, it is difficult, because we do not know what the next step will be."

 

Hyori closed her eyes, controlling her urge to cry. Lord SooHyuk watched her in silence, surprised by her tanned beauty. No matter how many years had passed, but, after Queen Sandara, there was no doubt Lady Hyori was the prettiest woman Joseon had seen in years.

 

She was so elegant even crying… rumors said that lord HeeChul had an extremely close relationship with Lee Hoyri, the gisaeng. She used to be his “mistress”, or at least a cover for HeeChul’s homouality. Nobody knew. But, that it was when she tried to trick him to tell her his secrets, that Hyori became his right hand, the one controlling the little birds and his bodyguard: she was a trained martial artist, after all. He didn’t believe the rumors between those two being romantically involved, because he knew HeeChul. But, seeing her crying for him, made him realize he might have been wrong.

 

"I promise we will find him, lady Hyori."

 

"We must, my daughter needs her father."

 

He froze for a second, realizing lady Hyori had shared a secret with him that nobody should know. But he jumped when he heard the laud shouts of a young little girl.

 

"Moooommmyyyy!"

 

And the sweet lady Seung-wan ran towards her mother, holding with her dirty silky hanbok a bunch of fresh flowers. So focused she was on her way, that she felt into a puddle of mud.

 

"Seung-wan! What have you done, my child?" she screamed, reaching for her lousy daughter, lord SooHyuk following her and with a wide smile on his mouth.

 

"The flowers aren’t spoiled, mommy, look!"

 

"You’ve got mud on your teeth!"

 

Carefully, she took her daughter in her arms. She was a beautiful eleven-year old young lady, but, still, Hyori felt Seung-wan was just a baby.

 

"Mommy! I am old! Stop, please!"

 

But Hyori didn’t listen, and although her pretty hanbok was also spoiled, she sat that little monster on the porch, carefully cleaning her with a dry handkerchief.

 

"When we go home you will clean this hanbok, not the maids. You might be a noble lady now, but I won’t let you be as spoiled as one."

 

"But there are so many layers to clean, mommy! I will stay awoken all night to clean it!"

 

"Then next time you think twice, young lady."

 

"THE CROWN PRINCE IS APPROACHING!"

 

"Behave, Seung-wan!"

 

Hyori and SooHyuk bowed while the Crown Prince was marching, surrounded by so many guards that they were unable to see him.

 

"Why?! What is a Crown Prince, mommy?"

 

Somehow, Jeongwan was able to listen to Seung-wan’s question, and, somehow, he felt offended by her lack of respect: she wasn’t bowing, and looked at him with wide big eyes. Jeongwan felt she was mocking.

 

"HOW DARE YOU NOT TO BOW WHEN A CROWN PRINCE COMES!"

 

He run so fast that the guards had to run after him, and it was a funny scene: how they tried to run without breaking the circle they had made towards the Crown Prince.

 

"APOLOGIZE NOW!"

 

"Do you know what is a Crown Prince, kid?" she didn't obey him. 

 

"KID?!"

 

Suddenly, he escaped from his security and took Seung-wan’s necklace, forcing her to watch him. At that moment, with that gaze, he was the living image of the King. “But you must learn to control your temper, young Crown Prince.” Lord SooHyuk thought.

 

"Forgive this child, your highness. She has lived all her live in the Southern Islands, she doesn’t know a lot about court."

 

"I will teach her better, forgive her, your majesty." Lee Hyori interrupted and made her daughter bow immediately.

 

"Mommy!" and Hyori hit Seung-wan’s neck. "Assshhhh!"

 

"Are you going to visit the Queen’s chambers, your highness?

 

"Yes lord HeeChul, hope the First Princess convinces father and lets me see her."

 

"Are you happy your aunt, First Princess Taeyeon, has returned?"

 

"Taeyeon?!" Seung-wan, who was trying to get up but couldn’t because her mother was forcing her to bow once more, said. "Are you the Princess cute nephew?!" but she escaped. "She told me you are not even a year older than me… do you want to be my friend?" she offered him his hand, to shake it.

 

Everyone was so shocked that they expected the worse, but, even Jeongwan was so unable to speak that he did the only thing he could: smile and shake Seung-wan’s hand.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

When Mi-young opened her eyes, all she could feel was a strong pain in her head and that she couldn’t move her right arm, so she closed them once more.  A soft hand was rubbing her forehead with a wet cloth, which eased a little her pain.

 

"She is awake!" her husband's deep voice cried.

 

"Shhhhh! Don’t you see she is in pain, brother?!"

 

Mi-young could easily recognize that voice, but, it was impossible she was there, at Gyeongbokgung. The Queen couldn’t believe her earing.

 

"I…"

 

"Shhhhh, you mustn’t speak, my love- the voice of her husband said."

 

Then, the memories of the dramatic confession Seung-hyun had given smashed Mi-young’s memories and made her cry of happiness. “For once, the gods have been kind to me, and let me live.” she thought.

 

"Are you alright, my Queen?" Seung-hyun sounded worried. "I will call the doctor…"

 

"No…" a woman held her, and that was all she could say. "Taeyeon?"

 

"Yes?"

 

Carefully, Taeyeon helped Mi-young to stand up a little, and Seung-hyun placed some cushions on her back, to make her stood a little. and lips were really dry, so Taeyeon made her drink water with a small spoon: she had been four days without eating, slightly hydrated with cloths. So, for Mi-young, that small quantity of water was like a miracle. Once she felt better, she spoke.

 

"Is that you Taeyeon?" and Mi-young started to cry.

 

The First Princess nodded vigorously and also started crying. “For Heavens’ sake! Will I ever learn to cry less?” Taeyeon thought. Mi-young opened her hands, offering Taeyeon a soft embrace. Finally, after six months worrying about each other, both princesses were reunited.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"We still do not have news of Lord Kim HeeChul." Kwon Bo Ah informed the King.

 

"Who is leading the investigation?"

 

"His most trusted spy, lady Hyori."

 

"Has she returned to court?"

 

"She was the one who found the First Princess, your majesty."

 

"We shall reward her by taking off her title as gisaeng. If I am not wrong, she had a daughter, more or less the age of the Crown Prince. Am I wrong, First Palace Lady?"

 

"Not at all."

 

"They deserve to be treated as nobles, for their loyalty towards Kim HeeChul and the Crown. Ask the scholars to change the registers and make them free of the humiliating status."

 

"I will go right now, your majesty." Bo Ah bowed and turned around to leave the room.

 

"But before you leave…" she stopped. "How far did you go with your investigation with the Queen and Kim HeeChul, lady Kwon?"

 

"To a risky point, your majesty."

 

"Why?"

 

"I think lord HeeChul has been kidnapped because we discovered who the killer of Park Bom and Park Sandara was, your majesty."

 

"No way… Tell me, now!" he stood up from his desk, impatient. "Who killed them!?"

 

The first two years after their deaths, Seung-hyun could not sleep properly, feeling the guilt consuming him: if he hadn’t been so selfish, maybe nothing would have happened. He spent hours and hours, trying to find something. The evidence was in front of him, but he was so exhausted and pressured to carry on and help his children to move on, that he wasn’t able to see the truth. It was a witty woman, with a fresh and new perspective, who found the evidence. The sister of his worst enemy: the Chinese Emperor.

 

Mi-young is amazing: not only she risked her life to save my son, she also found the killer of his mother. Not in a million lives I will be able to repay her.” Seung-hyun thought in admiration and smiled, and the First Palace Lady frowned her forehead, unable to understand why he we seemed so happy. But, anyhow, she continued her speech, seeing the King was anxiously waiting.

 

"I am sorry to tell you, your majesty, that you were right all these years: Park Sandara and Park Bom were killed by the Chinese Emperor, using his most ruthless assassin, Huang Qi Zhen, as the butcher."

 

There it was: after seven years wondering, he finally got a culprit. One that died four years ago, but: still someone to blame for the tragedy. Seung-hyun had always known that Emperor Qing Geng was involved and he would be never punished for his sins. But, knowing that there were evidences of his guilt, somehow, made Seung-hyun felt relieved. Sandara’s and the Kwons names would be cleaned and seen as victims of a cruel man, and Bom as a heroine who tried to save the nation from the disaster. The king would use all in his power to make that happen, and change the story. He couldn’t bring them back, but, at least, give them honorable posthumous lives. Maybe, that way, Bom and Sandara would finally rest in peace.

 

"Should I tell the Queen you are aware of this information, your royal highness?" Bo Ah interrupted his thoughts.

 

"No, my Queen needs to rest and be surrounded by peaceful thoughts. Do not ever dear to mention her lord HeeChul is missing. It is an order."

 

"Forgive me my lord, but you know the Queen. She will start asking questions."

 

"You are an extraordinary First Palace Lady, I trust you will find a way to distract her, at least for a few weeks."

 

The doctors said Mi-young was out of mortal danger, but, still, she had to rest and take care of her health to avoid an infection in her wound. Seung-hyun still couldn’t believe how lucky he had been. For once, the Gods had been merciful with him and allowed a bit of happiness. “Maybe they made me suffer to realize I must be less stubborn and more open to changes. From now on, I will try to change that. I swear, good Gods, but please, do not make my Queen suffer again and do not send me again a Huang Qi Zhen.” he thought.

 

"Huang Qi Zhen… This name sounds familiar…"

 

"It was Huang Zitao’s father, sir."

 

"That’s why Mi-young begged us to find him!"

 

"Lord HeeChul informed her about it the evening he disappeared. Huang Qi Zhen entered to Joseon customized as a shepherd. This is why the royal budget changed a little a few years ago."

 

"Then, his disappearance must be related to the attack and the Chinese Emperor too."

 

"I think so, your highness."

 

"Where is Huang Zitao?"

 

"He disappeared."

 

"Then, it is a certain fact: someone, not only just one person, helped him to The same people who gave Huang Qi Zhen access to Queen Sandara’s chambers. Ant the same who had kidnapped lord HeeChul because he was getting too close. We are almost there, First Palace Lady, I can sense it. They are weak, disoriented and nervous because their plans have failed and made the huge mistake of kidnapping the lord of spies. It is now or never. Now or never."

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Help! Help! Help!"

 

Ever since lord HeeChul woke up, he had never stopped screaming. He was in a very dark room, tied up with a chain on his neck, so he could not move a lot. He was analyzing the situation.

 

"So, I am trapped inside an isolated house, but not far enough from the capital to notice any change in the weather. That’s interesting."

 

A door opened, and, the face of the displeasing Park  Sung-woo appeared in front of him. A huge smile on his old face.

 

"YOU?! I knew either a Park of the East or the West must have been involved."

 

"Lord HeeChul… what a pain in the you have been."

 

"Are you one of the men who help the Chinese Emperor?"

 

"You were asking too many questions, and getting too much information you shouldn’t know."

 

"After your daughter, Royal Consort Park Bom, died seven years ago… you still worked for the man that ordered her death. You are a monster!"

 

"She wasn’t supposed to die!" and he started to shake Kim HeeChul with strength and full of anger. "Just because she wanted to save that useless child! It was her fault."

 

"Why? Lord Sung-woo ?"

 

HeeChul pretended the movements of the chains weren’t hurting him, which made lord Sung-woo even madder than before. As a consequence, he pulled down the chains, making it hard for HeeChul to breathe.

 

"I need to get rid of the Parks of the West, so my clan can control the kingdom and put Second Prince Yeon Jun in the throne. I needed someone who could kill the Crown Prince and the Queen. And the only person with the appropriate means to achieve that the Chinese Emperor."

 

Then, that’s why we are in this mess. Once again, the eternal conflict between the Parks of the West and the East affected the whole nation. They have no limits.” HeeChul thought.

 

"You have made a terrible mistake, lord Sung-woo . The Queen will investigate everything and find you."

 

"Are you sure? Sons! Come here."

 

Lord Park Chanyeol, a man he pitied before and trusted completely, appeared inside the dark room. He was followed by the heir of the Parks of the East: the Major General of the Navy Park Sung-won.

 

"Cut his hand and sent it to Queen Mi-young with a warning message. That way she won’t investigate more about Huang Zitao and Huang Qi Zhen. Leave him alive, we still need him."

 

"WHAT?! NO! NO! NOOOOOO! NOOOOO!"

 

Lord Park Sung-woo , Right State Councilor and patriarch of the Parks of the East left the room immediately. And although he could not see anything, the terrified screams of lord HeeChul frightened him. When he heard the clean sword cut and the sound of fresh flesh falling on the floor, he smiled. “No one will ever dear to think I am a weak man, not even the other two shadows.”  

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Brother! What are you doing?" Princess Taeyeon asked Seung-hyun.

 

But the King didn’t listen and took the tray with the Queen’s medicines that Taeyeon was holding.

 

"Everyone, wait outside! The Queen isn’t fully recovered yet and her chambers are too crowded for her own good."

 

"You are a terrible healer, brother! Let me do this!"

 

"Nooooo!"

 

The King showed his tongue to the First Princess and closed the door in front of her sister, who couldn’t control her laugh.

 

"Our King must be delighted, doesn’t he?" Taeyeon asked to one of the eunuchs.

 

"Indeed, First Princess, indeed."

 

The King entered the room, where a quite pale Mi-young tried to make the effort to incorporate a little.

 

"No, no, no, no, no! You are still weak. Wait for a second, please."

 

As gently as he could, because the King was a bit clumsy, Seung-hyun put some cushions on the Queen’s back, so she could be comfortable. Unluckily, he placed them in such a hurry that the structure failed when Mi-young put her back on the cushions. It was everything so fast that Seung-hyun only had time to avoid a blow by placing his hands on the floor and hold Mi-young. He got hurt in the process.

 

"For the God’s sake! I am so sorry, my Queen!"

 

"Your hands, my King!"

 

"Do not worry about my hands. I am used to my clumsiness."

 

Carefully, he took Mi-young’s back, and, this time, with more attention, he placed the cushions correctly.

 

"I can help you, my King."

 

"Shhhh! I couldn’t visit you until now because I was too busy, let me make up for my lack of attention."

 

"You spend most your free time with me and princess Taeyeon here."

 

"I just feel so sorry."

 

"Yet?"

 

"I will come here every single day until I feel I make up for the lost time with you, my Queen."

 

"And this will be…?"

 

"Never!"

 

He smiled so brightly Mi-young could see his dimples, something she was still getting used to. The dimples of hell. That’s how Taeyeon called them, because, according to the princess: “When he makes THE smile and shows the dimples of hell, even mother can’t resist his charms.

 

"The doctors have told me it is time for your medicines and ointments."

 

"I do not like them." Mi-young complained.

 

"My Queen, please."

 

Since Seung-hyun had been present in almost all the Queen’s treatments, so he knew how to apply everything she needed. He started with burning down some Ginseng’s to increase the Queen’s blood pressure, and with a small candle, he warmed the medicines, which he gave the Queen himself with a silver spoon: to verify there wasn’t poison in them.

 

"I can drink it…"

 

"Let me take care of you, please, my beloved Queen."

 

And when he said “my beloved Queen”, it was checkmate for Mi-young, who couldn’t complain any longer. It felt like a dream. A twisted dream because Seung-hyun realized he loved her only when she was deadly wounded. But, it takes sadness to know what true happiness is. If being wounded on her left arm, a few inches apart from her heart and lungs, was the price she had to pay, it seemed fair. Because, although her arm hurt a lot, having the King of Joseon as her personal nurse made everything worthy.

 

"Now, I will help you to turn around: I have to apply the ointments on your wound."

 

Mi-young didn’t move due to her embarrassment. She was used to get undressed in front of her maids, and when the doctors applied acupuncture on her wounded arm she was too sick to complain about showing them her bare shoulder. But now, the idea of being half in front of her husband, when he had just confessed his feelings for her… it scared her.

 

"Do not worry, my beloved Queen. I will not take advantage of you." she sighed in relief. "At least, not today…" he smirked, showing his mischievous dimples.

 

She flushed so hard that she was unable to move for a while.

 

"You know, if you keep staring at me like that, I will not be able to put your warm ointments, my Queen."

 

"Why?" Mi-young was still in shock.

 

"Because they’ll get cold, my beloved Queen!" he sighed, trying to control his urge to smile like a fool: “seeing her getting frustrated once more, it seems a miracle.” he thought. "And if I cannot do it, the doctors are going to scold me because I am a stubborn man."

 

"I will not think you will let them scold you, my King." she returned to her senses. "You are a stubborn man, my King."

 

"Not as much as you, my Queen! Would you mind to undress a little, please? I will turn around, do not worry."

 

With hesitation, Mi-young undressed all her shyness let her, and laid on the mattress, her chest squashed with the contact.

 

"This is stupid." the King said when he turned around once more. "I am your husband."

 

"Stop complaining and apply the ointments, my King. I am wounded because I have saved your son’s live. You do not have the right to complain."

 

"Stop teasing me then, my Queen." and he massaged her back with caution.

 

"Why? I deserve some fun."

 

"Because I might not control myself."

 

She froze so much that her back was rigid and hurt a lot, so she couldn’t help it but yell a little.

 

"Relax, my Queen." and he kissed her bare shoulder. "Just relax."

 

Mi-young got so many shivers that her tense back melted down, only feeling Seung-hyun’s warm and soft fingers applying the herbs with as much care as he could. The Queen felt so relaxed and happy, that, before she could notice it, she was sleeping once more.

 

"Sweet dreams, my beloved."

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Our king is sooo handsome and dreamy!" one of the maids waiting next to Taeyeon said. "Let me look!"

 

"No! I want to see him more! He is so handsome!"

 

"And the Queen is sooo lovely!"

 

"What are you doing?!" Taeyeon scolded the maids, who were trying to look at the monarch between the doors.

 

"Forgive us, First Princess." the maids apologized.

 

"That was absolutely disrespectful! Go to the kitchens and tell the Fouth-rank maid in charge of the meals that today you will clean everything."

 

With a bow, the three maids who were spying the monarch left. And, with a guilty look on her face, Taeyeon also watched a little. Mi-young was lying backwards, with her back full of green ointments and chatting with Seung-hyun. Little by little, the Queen’s eyes closed, and, carefully, the King covered her with a wet blanket, so the medicines will have a better effect. Once he finished, he kissed Mi-young’s check carefully.

 

"The Queen is sleeping." he informed when he exited the room. "So, you must be really silent. Did you enjoy the show, dongseng?" Seung-hyun knew they had been spying them "Mother and my children are waiting for dinner."

 

Ashamed for her lack of manners, she followed her brother, unable to say a word. But, deep inside, she felt happy for his brother. “Seungie-hyun and Mi-young have been through a lot: they deserve to be happy. I hope in my next life I can have the same relationship with Kwon Jiyong.

 

"There is a gift for the Queen, First Princess." one eunuch, who was holding a very lovely box, informed.

 

"I will arrive in a second, milord. Do not make mother wait."

 

"Has it been checked?"

 

"Apparently yes. It has the correct stamp."

 

"I am sorry for Mi-young, but, since the circumstances had been quite chaotic. We are going to check it first, third rank eunuch."

 

The eunuch nodded and opened the box in front of Taeyeon, and the smell almost made them faint. It was putrefied. There was something wrapped. And a letter. Taeyeon took the letter first, since she thought that way she could know the origin of this unexpected gift. It was quite small, and the tint to write was strangely brownish.

 

 

If you wish to see again Lord Kim HeeChul, you shall not continue your investigation, our dearest Queen Mi-young. If you dare to disobey our orders, you will receive more of our gifts and letters written with the lord of spies’ blood.

 

 

That last sentence made Taeyeon throw the letter on the floor, and had to hold the eunuch arm to keep her balance. 

 

"First Princess…"

 

Carefully, Taeyeon unwrapped the “gift”, and, the eunuch who was holding her vomited. The rotten hand of lord HeeChul inside. Everyone hold their breaths, too shocked to react, and Taeyeon placed the box on the floor because touching it made her feel nauseous.

 

"Nobody touches this, and everyone stays here to protect the Queen. Brother! Brother!"

 

And Taeyeon run as if there was no tomorrow.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Nothing yet?" Yuri asked.

 

"No… I am afraid."

 

"Do you want a lift, orabeoni?"

 

Almost every single member of the Silver Dragon’s crew was watching their leader from the distance. Jiyong had been on the cliffs ever since the princess had left the island a month ago. Barely ate. They were so worried that they organized an elaborated vigilance plan, so the Dragon would never be alone. 

 

"If you don’t go and talk to him, I will go and kick his , Seungri."

 

"He needs time, dongseng."

 

"You have dealt better than him. I did not expect you to dealt so well with lady Chaerin’s departure."

 

"I don’t know what you are talking about, sister."

 

"I am your dongseng, I know you. And you really, really, really like lady Chaerin."

 

"Bull!"

 

"That mouth, orabeoni."

 

"Don’t be like father, Yuri."

 

"Then mature a little and show me you deserve to be called my orabeoni. Go! Speak to him in some of this machos conversation men have."

 

"Machos conversation?"

 

"Do you want that I kick your instead, orabeoni?"

 

"Okay, okay… I’ll go."

 

"Wait! Bring what Arisa made for lunch! He looks skinnier than usual. My poor brother."

 

"You have never done that for me!"

 

"You don’t deserve it, Seungri." Yuri said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world not to care for the spoilt helmsman of the Silver Dragons.

 

"Sometimes I want to kill you, Yuri."

 

"You know you can't. But... GO!"

 

Seungri sighed deeply, and took Yuri’s bag with a meal inside for Jiyong. “I haven’t eaten yet, why hasn’t she brought food for me? I am also her brother.” Seungri thought while sitting next to his brother in that big rock.

 

For a few minutes, both siblings looked at the horizon, absorbing the beautiful colors of the ocean with their eyes. There was no need to speak: they been through a lot together, and just being able to share each other’s company, made both siblings calmed and comfortable.

 

"It is very beautiful, the ocean."

 

"Father used to say that the ocean was only that bright when Dragons were about to be born. It is the fire within their bodies what makes the ocean shine. And a sing the Four Dragon Kings of the Seas are going to keep the waters calm to let their children come into this world with ease."

 

"Wow, Seungri! I thought you never listened to father…"

 

"Only when he wasn’t scolding me."

 

Jiyong lay down on the rock, closing his eyes and enjoying the warm breeze. Autumn had already arrived so it was quite strange the winds were still warm.

 

"I was thinking…" Jiyong started.

 

"What?"

 

"The Chinese Emperor has tried to kill the Crown Prince of Joseon twice, am I wrong?"

 

"As far as we know, yes."

 

"Why are you always so positive?" Jiyong ironically asked and stood up once more, facing his young brother.

 

"It is the truth. I cannot change facts."

 

"Seungri!" and Jiyong slapped him. "You’re supposed to comfort me."

 

"Relief you when you stay here like a living dead? We have been trying for a whole month to cheer you up without results. All of us. Excuse me if I try something different now, depressing bastard."

 

"What do you expect?! TAEYEON IS GONE!"

 

"She made an unselfish choice and decided to help her beloved ones. That makes her an honorable lady… what are you now? The honorable man she thought you were before leaving? Or a shadow of what you used to be?"

 

"Seungri…" Jiyong warned him.

 

"Where is my impulsive and passionate brother? The one who dared to fight against a king to defend his beloved’s reputation? The one who created the Silver Dragons to get justice back?"

 

Jiyong couldn’t face his brother, because, as usually, he was right. That wasn’t something Jiyong would recognize to Kwon Seung-hyun, but he admired his brother for his wisdom and ideals.

 

"Princess Taeyeon has returned to fight against your enemies: the Chinese Emperor and his allies. She might die and you are honoring her choice by killing yourself little by little."

 

"You don’t unders…"

A gust of warm wind moved the sand surrounding them and small grains entered into Jiyong’s eyes.

 

"Asssshhh! This stupid warm wind!" Seungri yelled. "Let me help you, brother."

 

"Warm wind…"

 

And Jiyong suddenly saw everything clear. The warm wind, the one Sandara somehow used to speak with him, was begging him to carry on. To keep fighting for what he wanted. And Jiyong wanted to be with Taeyeon and redeem his sins.

 

"Do not worry, Seungri. Worry about getting the Silver Dragon ready."

 

Jiyong took the rests of sand in his eyes and starting running, followed by his loyal brother, who couldn’t understand a thing, yet couldn’t stop smiling.

 

"Wait… WHAT?! WHHHYY?"

 

"Because you are right. We're going back to Joseon."

 

 

 

 

 

__________________________________

 

A/N:

 

So… let’s sum up once more. SPOILER ALERT (if there’s anyone who reads the A/N before reading. I usually do that).

  • Kim HeeChul’s life is in great danger. So big that the King has decided to end the investigations to find the Emperor’s allies until the lord of spies is back and safe.
  • Kwon Jiyong and the Silver Dragons are returning to Joseon to help Princess Taeyeon and save the Crown Prince of the three shadows.
    • I created the reference of the “warm wind” as Sandara’s spirit in chapter 14 because I wanted to use it later. Although I love gtae ship, I also enjoy daragon fics, so I didn’t want to make Sandara a selfish person. That’s why I used the “warm wind” as a reference towards Sandara’s kind and unselfish nature: she is happy because Jiyong has moved on, and wants to encourage him to fight for his happiness.
  • Seung-hyun and Mi-young sweet moments. I promise that this couple has ended their path of painful situations. They will be a steady and strong couple.
    • The cute scene between Mi-young and Seung-hyun is inspired by a scene in Empress Ki (2013).
  • Park Sung-woo is one of the three shadows. He’s scared and had different plans than the other shadows: he didn’t want to kill the Crown Prince to get a Korean-Chinese heir from Queen Mi-young. He wants Jeongwan dead so his grandchild, the Second Prince, can become the Crown Prince.

 

 

A hint of history:

 

According to Korean culture, there were four Dragon Kings in the seas and those creatures emerged from the ocean once they were born.

  • The Red Dragon. The God Dragon of the south.
  • The White Dragon. The God Dragon of the west.
  • Azure Dragon. The God Dragon of the east.
  • Black Dragon. The God Dragon of the north.

The Silver Dragons are not only called “Silver” because their ship is painted in Silver and Black to camouflage it in the water. They are also called Silver because their base camp is located in the north-west of the Korean seas. And, although the Silver isn’t a color we can “create”, we can approach to its correct pigmentation by mixing black and white. The colors indicate the Dragon Kings that protected them.