The third shadow.

The Silver Dragons

Chapter 23. The third shadow.

 

 

"You should be sleeping, your majesty." the Thunder advised to his king.

 

"And you should be with your family, but we are both intrigued, aren’t we?"

 

After lady Han Byul’s suicide, Seung-hyun had decided to put under preventive arrest the whole Parks of the West, except his loyal Thunder. He needed him. And, since the new betray hurt him like a knife in his chest, Seung-hyun hadn’t been able to sleep. Instead, he ordered his guards to bring him all the possessions of the dead traitor to investigate them. A few hours later, the Thunder came with all his sister’s possessions, his eyes red from crying.

 

"I am sorry if I disappointed you, your majesty." 

 

"Crying for your dead sister, even though she was a traitor, makes you more human, lord Sang-hyun. I would be disappointed and worried if you weren’t affected by it."

 

The youngest Park nodded and started to look through the collected evidences with the king. He couldn’t sleep either, because, every time he closed his eyes, memories of his sister haunted his dreams.

 

"She loved to write everything down… I guess she expected to have a premature death." 

 

"Which is good: because we will be able to justify if your brother and sister-in-law knew about her plans, lord Sang-hyun." 

 

"Thank you, my King. Another ruler would have already condemned them." 

 

"Contrary to popular belief, I do not wish to exterminate either the Parks of the East or the Parks of the West." 

 

"I know, you do not have to justify your actions in front of me, your majesty."

 

Seung-hyun smirked and continued to read through the documents until the sun rose on the horizon. The candles were no longer necessary, and both men got ready for the journey, when the first servants entered to awaken the King.

 

"Milord, the Queen and the Crown Prince are waiting for you to go the main patio for the execution."

 

Seung-hyun sighted and started to move through the corridors of the palace, surrounded by his crew. He honestly hadn’t wanted to end this like that, but, the whole court had asked for the heads of the Parks of the East. They had killed their Queen, after all, and that could not be forgotten: it was high treason and the law was clear about it.

 

When he met his wife and son, he saw how his heir’s face was white and had to control the urge to cry. Seung-hyun did not want him to be present when the Parks were executed, but since he had arrived at the legitimate age to watch an execution, he could not avoid him that responsibility. But, at least, he would console him.

 

"I am so sorry, Jeongwan." he hugged the Crown Prince. 

 

"Abeonim! Everyone is watching!" 

 

Jeongwan was at that moment of his life when hugs were embarrassing and showing affection to your parents a complete torture. But, as much as the boy wanted to deny it in front of everyone, he had needed that hug from his father. It was the approbation he needed to accept it was alright for him to feel sad and betrayed. That there was nothing shameful about his feelings.

 

"I do not care, munchkin." the King pouted.

 

"ABEONIM!" Jeongwan blushed and his father bent a little, so they were eye to eye. Although every day the Crown Prince was getting taller (in less than two years he would surpass his father’s height, and Seung-hyun couldn’t be happier about it) he was still a kid, and needed his guidance and comfort in moments like that.

 

"I know it is your first execution but you have to look, understand. Do not show any emotion, because everyone will be watching you. You can cry later as much as you want, alright?" 

 

"You are ready for this, Jeongwan." his mother reaffirmed.

 

The boy nodded and started to walk behind his father, opposite to the Queen. He saw her out of the corner of his eye to see which the best way to face that situation was. He could see how Mi-young was looking at the floor slightly, trying to look ethereal and humble at the same time. It was a good strategy because that way she didn’t have to face the glaring eyes of the people around them. Jeongwan copied her style and kept his position until they arrived at their thrones at the patio. He sat next to Mi-young, and, when he finally saw the Parks kneeling on the floor, shaking and crying, the Queen offered to the young prince her hand, so he could find some comfort.

 

"Be brave, Jeongwan. Hold my hand all the time and let them think it’s me the one who can’t stand this situation, alright?" 

 

"Yes, mother."

 

There was no sound, only the birds could be heard. Seung-hyun looked with cold and angry eyes to everyone reunited there, trying not to get affected by the begging of lord Sung-woo. Once he was ready to speak, he screamed, with his deep and imposing voice.

 

"Yesterday, after lord Park Sung-woo confession, I can gladly announce that lord Kwon Hyun-suk, my former Chief Security, and Queen Sandara, are considered innocent for their crimes seven years ago. The Queen had no plans to elope with the Major General Kwon Jiyong and lord Hyun-suk only lied to save his son’s life. They were killed so my son, Second Prince Yeon Jun, could become the Crown Prince."

 

Mi-young knew Seung-hyun couldn’t tell the whole truth to his people, because, a direct accusation towards the Chinese Emperor (with his main assassin hiding and no real witness of the connection) would mean war. For that reason, he made up the story a little. “At least, their reputations would remain clean forever.” Mi-young thought.

 

"Since it didn’t work out, they decided to kill the Crown Prince once again, almost killing the Queen in the process. And when lord Kim HeeChul discovered their unsuccessful plan, lord Park Sung-woo and his children decided to torture and kidnap him." 

 

"Have mercy, your highness!" lord Sung-woo begged.

 

"For those reasons…" but Seung-hyun pretended he hadn’t listen. "Today they will be executed for high treason." 

 

"NOOOOOO!"

 

Seung-hyun sat on his throne and nodded, letting the executioners know they had his permission to proceed. Jeongwan had never seen someone die. He almost saw his mother passing away, but, even in her worst moments of health, there was light in her eyes. That time, when the swords were stabbed into the torsos of the three men, Jeongwan saw for the first time how the light disappeared. Their mouths were covered in blood, and they screams were so painful that Jeongwan had difficulties to breathe properly, because it seemed he was feeling the same pain. He did not know how to feel. 

 

"It will be over soon…" Mi-young whispered in his ear.

 

A few seconds later, the screams were gone, and the three men lied on the floor, lifeless. At least, the executioners had been gentle enough to let them die fast, without making their agony longer than necessary.

 

"Pick their bodies and bury them properly." Was all Seung-hyun said before he stood up and started to leave the patio, forcing Mi-young and Jeongwan to follow him immediately.

 

"Leave us alone! Now!" the king instructed to their entourage.

 

Once they were alone, Seung-hyun took Jeongwan’s shoulders and stared at him, as if he was looking for something inside his son’s eyes.

 

"Remember that everything I do, is for you."

 

Jeongwan smiled and Seung-hyun kissed his son’s forehead, relieving his stress and starting to shake, in pain.  

 

"Father!" 

 

"Do not worry, my son… is just that it has gotten a bit more difficult to wear my mask. What you are witnessing now, is your father being weak."

 

Jeongwan opened his eyes so much in surprise that it felt they were about to fell on the floor. He had never seen his father this way, and, although he started to cry with him (letting go the pain that witnessing a public execution was), the Crown Prince had never felt so close to his father.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Please, Jiyong…" Taeyeon begged him. "We need to go."

 

Jiyong was standing next to one of the horses, not able to move. He was so scared, betrayed and disappointed that his body could not move, as if staying there would protect him from more pain. First Sandara, then Taeyang… and now, now… he just could not believe the words of that shaman called Minzy. She had to be lying… it was the only way everything made sense for him. Yet… … yet everything seemed right. And, the more and more he thought about how their enemies were able to advance all their movements, the more and more logical it became. However, it was still more painful than a dozen blades stabbed into his chest.

 

"Please… my nephew…" she begged once more.

 

But he wasn’t ready to face reality: it was even harder to breathe, because being betrayed by someone so close was the last thing he had expected. But what hurt him even more, is that they were losing that person, little by little, and no-one had noticed. “If only I had paid more attention…” was all he could think about.

 

"It isn’t your fault." Chaerin added, trying to make Jiyong return from the dark place his mind was guiding him. "You could have become a bloody and merciless pirate, but you didn’t… I could have just become resentful to the fact that my parents took away from me the possibility of being a mother when they decided to propose me as Second Palace Lady… but I didn’t… WE.ALWAYS.HAVE.A.CHOICE. No matter the circumstances."

 

But Jiyong didn’t answer, too scared to face the truth.

 

"Jiyong..." Taeyeon had to make a huge effort to control the urge to cry. "We must save Sandara’s son."

 

Sandara… Father… Taeyang…Sandara’s son… I must avenge them…”. If there was something Jiyong had never failed to do, was keeping his promises. And he had promised to Sandara and his father that he would avenge them. The innocent died to protect other innocent people, and, since Jiyong’s hands were already covered in blood, he did not mind to make them dirtier. If that meant he would be able to protect another innocent person, the only remaining living proof that Queen Park Sandara once existed: Crown Prince Jeongwan.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

The first rays of light entered her cell, and Yuri awoke little by little, listening to the birds outside. For a small instant, she thought she was back at their Island, but the lack of kids’ laughs made her realize she was in Hanseong, trapped in a dungeon and surrounded by guards. Yuri stood up and looked at her surroundings. In front of her, there were more cells, where his other friends were sleeping. The absence of MinHo, Taeyang and Jonghyun was still omnipresent as if everything was different. But, for the ones remaining, Yuri had to find a way to escape, because she could not bear more deaths in her conscience. It was too much to handle.

 

"Good morning." Taemin, an early person like her greeted.

 

"Good?" 

 

"I know, I know..." they were whispering. "But we need to stay positive, somehow." 

 

"Do you have something to open those cells? I do not know… a small piece of metal would be useful…" 

 

"They took all my tools." 

 

"Damn it!" 

 

"Language!" a sleepy Seungri added.

 

"Now you are awake, Seungri…" Yuri complained.

 

"I have always awoken earlier than you, Black Pearl." 

 

"That’s not true…" 

 

"It is." 

 

"It is not." 

 

"It is… " 

 

"CHILDREN, STOP THIS NONESENSE!"

 

Lady Kwon Bo Ah (well, a person Yuri supposed it was her sister for his pitchy voice, because she was covered from head to toe in order to not get identified) entered the room in a flash, moving towards her sister’s cell. A sad expression on her face. “Yuri has always been a woman who needed freedom, seeing she in a cold cell kills my heart”. 

 

"What are you doing here?" 

 

"Hyori and I are going to help you." 

 

"But… hwww…"

 

Yuri didn’t have the time to think, because a small bomb full of smoke invaded the whole room.

 

"On the floor!" lady Hyori screamed.

 

Yuri obeyed her friend and immediately laid on the floor, moving as if she was a snake through the cold stone. Over there, she could see the feet of some scared soldiers entering the chambers. But, nobody was able to stand up for a while, because both Hyori and Bo Ah were taking care of them.

 

"Hyori! The keys!"

 

Yuri still couldn’t see a thing, but it amazed her how the two women rescuing theme were able to fight with such bad conditions, making everyone remember why they were considered some of the best fighters in all Joseon.

 

"Set the alarm! Set the alarm!" one of the soldiers yelled.

 

"At my signal, you run towards the door!" Bo Ay ordered.

 

Yuri tensed her muscles, ready to run as fast as she could. Once Bo Ah heard the verbal confirmation of all the Silver Dragons, she decided to give her signal. Yuri ran and ran, until she recovered her vision. Seungri was right beside her, rubbing his swollen eyes. Even before they were able to recover their full vision, they could sense how soldiers were approaching, and, not yet able to confront them, Seungri took her sister’s hand and started to run.

 

"Where are we going?" 

 

"No idea, but, keep running!" 

 

"Seungri, Black Pearl!"

 

They both stopped once they saw Jinwoo, Taemin, SeungHoon, SeungWon and TaeHyun in front of them.

 

"In this room, there are lots of weapons!" Taemin pointed at one of the doors.

 

"No time to fight!" a tired Hyori said once she reached them.

 

"Just keep running." 

 

"We’ll think about that later". Bo Ah added.

 

Bo Ah and Hyori kicked some of the armors placed through the corridors, in order to make the path towards them more difficult. The Silver Dragons kept running following their instructions, not knowing where they were going. Not that they complained: they were being rescued after all.

 

"Take this."

 

Seungri almost fainted because his eldest sister had given him a set of quite heavy ropes.

 

"That delicate and precious flower… " Bo Ah thought. 

 

"What do I have to do?" 

 

"Go to the window and start jumping!" Bo Ah yelled. "Hyori and I will take care of the guards." 

 

"Let us help you." Taemin offered his services.

 

"No!" Hyori protested. "You have already lots of crimes to pay for, killing more people would only make things more difficult for you."

 

Taemin nodded and started to help Seungri to get ready the robes. They decided to use some of the heavy armors exposed in the corridor as a counterweight that could help them to descend with the rope towards the safe soil.

 

"Once you are down, run as fast as you can and go straight to that kid’s house, Koo Jun Hoe." Hyori informed.

 

"But it is all in ruins..." Yuri reminded her.

 

"That way no-one would suspect you are hiding there. The Black Pearl did not insist anymore and helped her friends while Bo Ah and Hyori fought against the soldiers." 

 

"You should lose some weight, Jinwoo!" Yuri complained while she was holding the rope to let him go down.

 

"Liar!" 

 

"Stop talking and keep working!" Bo Ah complained, while she was killing another soldier trying to stop them. "We won’t be able to hold any longer!"

 

With her last strength, Yuri hold lady Hyori and both of them descended through the rope. When it was Bo Ah’s turn, she decided it was wiser to cut the rope and stay behind.

 

"Sister!" Seungri and Yuri yelled.

 

"Go! I’ll just find a different way to escape! They need me at Court!"

 

Bo Ah’s determination was so overwhelming that her siblings decided to listen to her and leave as fast as they could. But Yuri could not leave without being sure her sister was going to be alright. So, when she saw Bo Ah gracefully climbing and jumping through the city roofs, she knew everything was going to be alright. How wrong she was.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

Until the King and the Thunder had had enough time to go through all of lady Han Byul’s documents, it was decided that the wisest decision was to put under high security all the Royal Family.

 

"I do not want to be here!" Ha Yi complained while she was trying to finish her tenth scarf that day.

 

"I know, daughter, but we must be patient. Besides, you can always play with your siblings." 

 

"They are soooo boring… " 

 

"That’s not true!" Yeon Jun complained.

 

"You are always studying. That’s boring." 

 

"Because I want to be a perfect prince. Not like the crying beauty at the window… " 

 

"YEON JUN, APOLOGISE!" the Dowager Queen intervened.

 

But Jeongwan did not care at all about his younger brother’s critiques, because his mind was somewhere else. Far away, trying to forget all the good memories he shared with his aunt, Park Han Byul. She had always been there consoling and protecting him from the world, giving him good advises and listening to his stupid childish problems. “Had she always been lying to me? Was nothing true? Why did she hate me so much that she had to plot to kill me? I do not understand…”. His mother, grandmother, father, uncle… everyone had warned and prepared him for betrayal, and Jeongwan thought he was ready to face it. But then… when it happened, he felt lost and far more hurt that if he was beaten by a hundred men. “Mommy was right when she was alive, the scars that hurt the most are the ones people can’t see.” Without even realizing it, Jeongwan started to cry, and, trying to hide it from his family, he pretended he was looking at the snow falling outside.

 

"A future king cannot be weak, grandmother." was the only thing the second prince said. "How can you let him cry? He is the future king! A king cannot cry!"

 

Uhm Jung Hwa was about to stand up to scold the child for such an impertinent behavior, but princess Ha Yi friend, lady Seung-wan, came ahead of time, and slapped Yeon Jun.

 

"How dare you to say something like that, kid?!" 

 

"KID?! HOW DARE YOU? I AM THE SECOND PRINCE OF JOSEON!" 

 

"And I am a legitimate and sole heir" she stressed the word "daughter of a noble household." 

 

"Nor for long after that impertinence…" 

 

"It is not up to you to decide, Yeon Jun." his grandmother scolded him.

 

Uhm Jung Hwa smiled at the young girl and Mi-young couldn’t believe the severe Dowager Queen was letting her get away with the slap to one of the Royal Children. But, although her manners weren’t the best, the girl had done what everyone had just wanted to do for a long time: put the arrogant young prince in his place. Mi-young had never thought Yeon Jun was a bad kid, but he was so intelligent that sometimes became cocky and arrogant.

 

"Of course he has the right to cry. All men cry sometimes. Well... my dad cries." she corrected herself, because, honestly, she had only seen his father crying. "But they have the courage of not worrying their families about it, and the Crown Prince was just trying to hide his tears from you. To protect you."

 

Seung-wan approached Jeongwan, who couldn’t believe someone had had the guts to slap his annoying little brother. Although he still had his eyes red from crying, there were no more tears.

 

"Yeon Jun." Mi-young intervened.

 

"Take a few candles with you and go to the adjacent room until you feel ready to offer a proper apology to your brother and lady Seung-wan." 

 

"She has just slapped me!" 

 

"Well deserved!" Jung Hwa, Mi-young and Ha Yi yelled at the same time, making everyone inside the room laugh except the second prince.

 

"Jun Hoe! Come over here and help me, please!" The handsome boy run towards the young lady and he almost fainted when she approached him too much for his taste. And with that close distance between the two of them, Jeongwan frowned once again, because he didn't like how that handsome boy was getting so close to Seung-wan. Luckily for him, Seung-wan was only taking off the boy’s cape.

 

"Now you have to help me and hide the Crown Prince behind your cape until he is done crying." 

 

"Hey, What?! No! I am not a baby!" Jeongwan complained.

 

"Lady Seung-wan… that’s not how you console a man in pain…" Jun Hoe informed.

 

The one thing the young lady hated the most was when someone contradicted her, but, as her mother (who might be in the middle of a battle saving the Silver Dragons and that made Seung-wan permissive and sensitive) always said, some battles need to be lost. And she did that.

 

"Alright, what is your plan, then?"

 

Koo Jun Hoe bowed in front of Mi-young and started to speak.

 

"If you do not mind, your highness, could it be possible to ask the soldiers outside for some wooden swords to play with? I have never learned to fight, my brother couldn’t teach me when he was alive. And I have heard that the Crown Prince is a good fighter and I would like to learn from him… if…"

 

"It is alright, young boy." she interrupted the child, who seemed he was about to explode talking so fast and without taking a break. "You can play."

 

While the kids were playing, Mi-young could not look away and smiled all the time. Maybe her son was hurt and sad, but, with friends like that, she knew he would be fine.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"This is such a waste of time!"

 

Seung-hyun felt defeated after hours and hours searching for something without getting results. So, exhausted, he laid his head on his table, closing his eyes and trying to focus once again. But he was so frustrated.

 

"At least we can prove your brother and sister-in-law had nothing to do with the plot to kill my son." he informed to the Thunder.

 

"What are you exactly looking for, your highness?" 

 

"It is impossible they have been able to get so close to my son so many times without having a bit more of extra help…" 

 

"Are you saying there might be another ally, your highness?" 

 

"Maybe… probably… I. Assshhhh! I just don’t know!" and the king took off his hat, because he felt it was too tight to let him think properly.

 

"Your majesty, I think it should be a good idea to leave this for tomorrow, you have hardly slept in two days." 

 

"You too, go straight to your chambers." 

 

"With all the respect, your majesty, but I think I will just go and do my guard in the Queen’s chambers. I want to see my nephew." 

 

"You will go no matter what I order you, so, do not worry. But tomorrow you are free. Alright?" 

 

"Yes, your majesty."

 

Seung-hyun shook his head, pretending to be disappointed by the Thunder’s diligence, but he was glad somebody else was so determined to protect Jeongwan. It made him feel grateful.

 

"Thank you, lord Sang-hyun."

 

His trustworthy friend only bowed and left the room, leaving Seung-hyun with his head yet on the table, too tired to move.

 

"You should sleep a little, Seung-hyun… or you’ll…"

 

Seung-hyun stop scolding himself, because, from the perspective he was lying, he noticed that one of the covers of lady Park Han Byul’s book was slightly wider than the rest. It could be nothing, but, Seung-hyun did just not believe in coincidences. For that reason, he took the book and slightly broke its cover. Hidden inside a fake cover, a small piece of paper, in which lady Han Byul explained her reasons to commit treason (asking her family to forgive her because of her greed and need to get revenge were bigger than the love she felt for them) and gave the name of his two other allies.

 

Seung-hyun didn’t like what he was reading.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

When Chaerin, Jiyong and Taeyeon arrived at the capital (following Minzy’s instructions) they heard the horns and drums warning all the population about an emergency in the city.

 

"The guards are moving." Jiyong informed from the tree where he was watching the city walls.

 

"The shaman was right…" Taeyeon whispered, and deep inside, she felt devastated because that would mean her other predictions towards her were right and she would give birth to the next Chinese Empress.

 

"Yes. Now is our chance!" Chaerin added.

 

"How do we get in?"

 

But Taeyeon’s question wasn’t answered. Instead, Chaerin took her bow and climbed to stay close to Jiyong. Taeyeon tried to help her with her first step, but the Second Palace Lady was agile and strong enough to deal with everything. Once she was near Jiyong, she whispered something in his ear that Taeyeon couldn’t listen, and to the princess’ dismay, he held her friend so tightly she got a bit jealous.

 

"When you are ready!" Jiyong yelled. "Fire!"

 

Chaerin shoot two arrows and Taeyeon could witness how the two guards defending the part of the wall in front of them immediately died. It wasn’t the first time Taeyeon had seen someone die, but the feeling was still shocking. Once her friends descended, Jiyong hugged her tightly to give her some comfort.

 

"I am alright." 

 

"Then wait for us here." 

 

"I want to go with you!" she complained.

 

"We need to swim." 

 

"Then I think I’ll stay here."

 

Jiyong kissed Taeyeon’s forehead and started to run with Chaerin outside the borderline forest that was protecting them from being noticed. Taeyeon could see how they started to run avoiding the arrows… she was hopeless and did not know what to do. Then, she saw Chaerin’s bow and decided to defend them a little. She had never been a good archer, but she used to practice with her siblings. So, with all the precision she could, she started to shoot, hurting a few archers in the process. While she was shooting, Chaerin and Jiyong got into the water, and started to swim. Taeyeon was afraid they might have died or something, because, for what seemed ages, they did not appear. 

 

"Taeyeon! Run! Run towards the bridge!"

 

The loud voice of Jiyong startled her, but, following his instructions, the princess started to run towards the bridge, that was starting to fall to let her move. Since there were soldiers still shooting arrows at her, Taeyeon took a shield Chaerin had left behind to protect herself a little. She ran as fast as she could, pretending she wasn't scared to death about the situation. But she had to be strong and brave, as everyone else around her. But fortune wasn’t with her that day, because, she felt how a sharp arrow hit her arm in the process.

 

"Taeyeon!" she could hear how Jiyong was screaming her name.

 

Although it was really painful, Taeyeon kept running, until she traversed the door. There, she found some guards, ready to kill her. But Chaerin was faster than them and all lied on the floor.

 

"Are you alright?"

 

Chaerin started to inspect Taeyeon’s wound and sighed in relief: the arrow hadn’t touched any vitals, just the arm, so, with a bit of surgery and proper rest the princess would be fine.

 

"No time for that! We must hide!" Taeyeon insisted.

 

With a nod, Chaerin offered her back to the princess and they started to run, Taeyeon trying to control the urge to scream from pain while the piggyback was making her wound bigger.

 

"Go!"

 

Jiyong followed behind them, and the three started to run through small streets, to avoid the guards. Since the alarm in the city had exploded, everyone was hiding in their houses, so no civilians were getting hurt by their escape.

 

"Here! Enter here!" Chaerin instructed them and the three entered a small abandoned and burned house.

 

Once they saw the guards pass by, Jiyong moved towards Taeyeon, to take care of her wound.

 

"I am alright…" 

 

"No, you aren’t." 

 

"Yes, I am…" 

 

"No… " 

 

"Please, tell me how you were able to enter the city through the water." Taeyeon changed the subject, because she wasn’t in the mood to discuss with Jiyong for a silly wound.

 

"Lady Bo Ah and I have a secret passage to enter and exit the city when the Queen sends us on a mission. A small hole in the submerged wall that allows a woman or a skinny man to go through it." 

 

"That’s how my lady Bo Ah was able to find us the Silver Dragons the other time, right?" 

 

"Yes, Taeyeon".

 

"But I promise that once all this is over, we will fix the whole. If an enemy discovers it, the city might be in danger." 

 

"Good… because… if… " 

 

"WHAT THE DAMN HELL?!"

 

Taeyeon couldn’t finish her sentence, because they were startled by Yuri’s voice, which was as shook as them to see them there. At the same house and with all the army looking for them.

 

"Hyori!" 

 

"Chaerin!"

 

Both ladies hugged each other and laughed.

 

"I guess we think the same way." 

 

"Indeed. Where is your daughter?" 

 

"At the palace."

 

And although Taeyeon was already pale due to the loss of blood, she got even paler.

 

"We must hurry and go back to the palace! THEY ARE IN HUGE DANGER!" 

 

"We have just escaped!" Seungri complained.

 

"Everyone is looking for us… " 

 

"We must!" Jiyong insisted.

 

"Why?" 

 

"Because the last shadow is planning to kill the Crown Prince tonight! And if we do not help him, she will succeed."

 

 

 

 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"What are those noises outside?" Mi-young slightly opened the door of one of her chambers, to ask the guards. 

 

"The Silver Dragons have escaped, your highness. You must stay here because the King has ordered to increase security."

 

Mi-young closed the door and smiled, because their plan was working as expected.

 

"Is everything okay, mother?" Ha Yi asked.

 

"Of course, princess. Let’s keep playing."

 

Mi-young and Ha Yi were playing Gonu with the Thunder, and Ha Yi was thrilled because it was her first time winning her mother

 

"You are getting good at this, sister." Jeongwan said while he was taking a break from playing with swords and trying to make his defeat against Seung-wan less embarrassing. 

 

"I have a good teacher."

 

Jeongwan smiled at her and kept playing.

 

"It was my uncle, Sang-hyun, who taught me. Right, uncle?" he looked at his uncle, who had arrived a few minutes before and was persuaded to play with the Royal Children. 

 

"Right, Crown Prince. But concentrate or they will win us."

 

They were so focused that they did not notice how the doors were getting suddenly opened. It was raining a lot outside, and lady Kwon Bo Ah entered the room, wet and dressed as a soldier. Jeongwan had never seen a woman dressed like that, and it shocked him how beautiful the First Palace Lady looked with those clothes. 

 

"Lady Bo Ah!" Mi-young yelled, startled by her sudden entrance. "What brings you here so sudden?" 

 

"Kwon Jiyong has entered the city and the king has ordered to send you with him to his chambers, so the soldiers can protect you all better."

 

Mi-young frowned her forehead a little, because that wasn’t going as planned: Seung-hyun told her they would stay in her chambers until everything was a bit calmer. But, since it seemed more logical to be all together, she did not complain.

 

"We should get ready to leave. Kids, go."

 

Everyone stood up and Mi-young gave to the Dowager Queen her arm so she could walk properly. She was still young, but, childbirth and ruling the nation had made her a bit slower and weaker. Bo Ah was leading the group, the kids following behind and Sang-hyun ending the line. A whole group of guards was surrounding them, yet Seung-wan could not stop shaking in fear.

 

"Are you alright, lady Seung-wan?" Jeongwan asked her.

 

"… "

 

Seung-wan fainted and Jeongwan took her in his arms and Sang-hyun also approached her, to see if she was alright. Suddenly, Seung-wan opened her eyes and with her terrified expression begged them to be silent and discreet.

 

"She is bad…" 

 

"Who?" Sang-hyun whispered.

 

"Lady Bo…"

 

But the young lady could not finish her sentence, because lord Sang-hyun unsheathed his sword and stopped a sudden attack of lady Bo Ah. All of a sudden, everyone understood the situation and although it killed her, Mi-young screamed.

 

"Guards! Arrest lady Bo Ah! KIDS RUN!"

 

Bo Ah dodged lord Sang-hyun’s attack and kicked Mi-young and the Dowager Queen so strongly on their heads that they felt on the floor, unconscious. The guards and the Royal Children panicked so much that everything turned chaotic.

 

"RUN!" was all the Thunder could yell while he was fighting Bo Ah with the rest of the guards. She was the best sword in all Joseon (although she had made everyone believe it was the Thunder the best one, maybe waiting for a moment like that), and those untrained guards and the Thunder were no rivals for her abilities. 

 

Meanwhile, Ha Yi took Yeon Jun and started to run. While Sang-hyun recovered and attacked Bo Ah once more, lady Seung-wan and Jun hoe took Jeongwan’s hands and also started to run. The Crown Prince, in shock, only was able to follow and ask questions.

 

"What…?" 

 

"I saw that lady seven years ago, plotting to hurt you. She is a shadow."

 

"YOU WHAT?!"

 

Jeongwan wanted to cry: two betrays in less than a week… but, when he looked back and saw how lady Bo Ah stabbed his uncle and he felt on the floor, motionless, he knew he had to run.

 

 

 

_______________________________________

 

 

A/N: so, yes the third shadow is the First Palace Lady Kwon Bo Ah… I have tried to make the Dowager Queen look as the culprit (because in Korean dramas usually the King’s mother is the bad one), but let’s be honest… how could a grandmother plot to kill his own flesh and blood? Especially the one who is legitimate and comes from the Clan she supports, the Parks of the West. You will know the reasons behind her actions in the next chapter, but, during the whole story, I think we could have subtlety seen her motives… I hope so… She was just too perfect to be the main villain: she knew absolutely everything about absolutely everyone. And also, I do not know if you have noticed but Seung-wan (the one that recognized her) has never had a scene with any of the shadows: Park Han Byul, Kwon Bo Ah and Park Sung-woo. The last one was her first (and last?) one. I know it is a new tragedy for Jiyong: his sister has betrayed him and is the cause of all his disgraces. But, hey! I never promised this fanfic was a happy and fluffy one.