The Shepherd. Part II.

The Silver Dragons

Chapter 17. The shepherd. Part II.

 

Queen Mi-young walked through the corridors of the Palace, followed by her loyal First Palace Lady, Kwon Bo Ah. It was a rainy summer day, so the whole place smelled to wet plants and soil.

 

"I have come to see the King" she ordered to the guards who were blocking the main entrance to his chambers.

 

"I am afraid tt is not acceptable, your majesty" one of the guards politely said.

 

"Why not, soldier?! I am the Queen of Joseon!"

 

"Because no woman can enter to the King’s chambers without permission, I am truly sorry, Queen of Joseon." the sharp voice of a woman said.

 

Mi-young turned around, only to see the imposing figure of the Dowager Queen. She had such a classy beauty, yet her dark eyes made her expression really intimidating.

 

"Come with me, my daughter."

 

The way she pronounced those last words made Mi-young feel her body completely paralyzed. But, thanks to a small pinch on her arm made by Lady Bo Ah, no-one noticed her moment of weakness.

 

They followed the Dowager Queen through the palace, the rain had stopped, and everything was refreshed. After what seemed hours (but it was only a few minutes), they arrived at a small covered patio, food waiting for them.

 

"Lunch-time has passed and your crew informed me you have not eaten properly, Queen Mi-young. Take a seat and eat, please."

 

"Thank you, your royal highness."

 

"You should call me mother, daughter." Uhm Jung Hwa smiled this time, making Mi-young felt warm and welcomed. "Take a seat, I insist."

 

Mi-young obeyed and once the smell of sweets got into her nose, she devoured one of the dishes in front of her. Although for her Chinese food was more varied than the Korean, she had to admit Korean dishes had a more intense flavor, and, no matter she didn’t feel hungry, once the food was served, Mi-young had always the urge to eat.

 

"You look better now, daughter."

 

"Thank you for the food, Dowager Queen. But… what for?"

 

"Now I am not allowed to take care of my children?! I might not have given birth to you, but now you are a member of the Choi clan and someday you will hold my position."

 

"I am not the Crown Prince’s mother, Dowager Queen."

 

"Of course you are. Jeongwan will need a Dowager Queen when he is in power. Never forget that. Maybe he doesn’t understand it now, my poor boy, he’s too young. But, trust me, time will heal his wounds and accept you."

 

Mi-young was sad and Uhm Jung-Hwa could feel it. So, she did her best to comfort her. And, being the mother of three children who lost their father and eldest brother the same year, she knew how to relief people: she could see a person’s most hidden wishes.

 

"Neither you nor the King were wrong. Jeongwan was being disrespectful and deserved his punishment. He will learn and appreciate your abilities as a leader, as my own son has done."

 

"I hope you are right, Dowager Queen."

 

"My Seungie-hyun was just like him when he was younger. He detested his older brother’s incompetence. My Seung-hyun was always rebelling. My poor husband… such a hard time he had with Seung-hyun."

 

"Really?"

 

"Indeed." and the Dowager Queen seemed lost for a few seconds in her old memories. "But, I was always there to comfort the former king, Choi JoongHong."

 

"How?"

 

Uhm Jung Hwa sat closer to Mi-young, and, with a childish giggle, she explained what she used to do.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Thank you, Jiyong. Thank you."

 

"Princess…" Jiyong whispered.

 

"Yes, Kwon Jiyong?"

 

"Can you release me, please? Not that I dislike a woman’s hug… but, I can’t breathe…"

 

"Ops! I am sorry."

 

"Don’t worry. So many emotions, I understand."

 

Taeyeon lose her arms, and Jiyong took a deep breath, inhaling the sweet scent of Taeyeon’s hair. “A smell that matches the personality, that’s interesting.” he thought. They were in silence for a few seconds, looking to each other. Brown against brown.

 

"I… do not know what to say… Kwon Jiyong."

 

"Me neither, Princess Taeyeon."

 

"I guess we are not talkative people."

 

"I guess so."

 

And there was once again silence. Usually, Taeyeon felt uncomfortable with them, because she didn’t have good conversational skills and she was the once causing those awkward situations. But, with Jiyong, she didn’t feel that way.   

 

"Thank you."

 

"Again?"

 

"For saving us. I thought the hate against my family transformed you into a despot. I guess I was wrong."

 

"And I thought you were a spoiled princess unable to take care of herself."

 

"I am still that princess."

 

"Well, let me tell you, princess Taeyeon: you almost kill me, you have been able to teach those rascals here a few words in hangul, you have achieved to integrate into a hostile environment and succeed in tasks you have never done before. If that makes you useless, I am useless too."

 

"I thought you were stupid, but, you might be less than I thought."

 

"Always a proud Choi. Let me tell you, princess, you are the worst swimmer I have ever seen."

 

"Kwon Jiyong!" Taeyeon complained and gave him a soft punch in the arm.

 

"Yes?"

 

"You still have some qualities of the Major General I used to be. Your father would be proud of you."

 

"Do not change the subject, princess, okay?" he blushed a little. "When you go back, please: learn how to swim!"

 

"Of course." she laughed.

 

Jiyong realized the consequences of his acts, and felt so sad he had difficulties to breath. By giving Taeyeon the permission to leave, he will also see her for the last time. Maybe he wasn’t a bad person, but: he attacked the king, escaped from justice, attacked Korean ships and kidnapped a Joseon Princess. He couldn’t return to the Court and she couldn’t leave it again. So, those were their lasts days together. “Let’s end this making a good impression.” he thought.

 

"Okay, princess. It is very late. You should go and get some rest. It has been a tough day for you, I guess."

 

He could sense she was quite disappointed with his sudden decision to finish their conversation. Taeyeon was feeling too comfortable, and she needed a bit of peace in her mind. But, the princess didn’t understand, that, the more time she was with the pirate, the sadder he was: because, once again, Kwon Jiyong was losing the woman he loved.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" one of the shadows asked. "The Queen isn’t pregnant yet and the King doesn’t seem too fond of her."

 

"Things will change, I am sure." the second shadow said. "Hwang Zitao is ready and has found a perfect moment to kill the Crown Prince, without getting suspicious."

 

"Why do you always know his plans before us?" The first shadow complained.

 

"Because we can talk without making people suspicious." the second shadow asked.

 

"But… why haven’t we killed them yet?!" the third shadow asked.

 

"Because we need them if we want Queen Mi-young to get control over the court." the second shadow informed. "A male heir without a powerful mother is useless."

 

"We could manipulate the Second Prince, Choi Yeon Jun." the first shadow suggested.

 

"I know you would love to see him on the throne, sir. But, Choi Yeon Jun is a bastard." the second shadow remembered him.

 

"He could have been a legitimate heir if the King had married Park Bom, as planned."

 

"But the former Crown Prince, Choi Dong Wook, died." the third shadow added, anger and bitter in her words.

 

"We remember that, sweetheart. We remember. And that spoiled our plans: Choi Dong Wook was a weak and easy manipulated man. The perfect puppet for the Qing Dynasty. But now, it is not the time to remember the great chances we had lost… it is time to move forward."

 

"And… which is Huang Zitao’s plan?"

 

"He pretends to kill the Crown Prince on his twelfth birthday, tomorrow evening. It is impossible the King won’t celebrate this special date."

 

"Why are you so sure?"

 

"Because on his twelfth birthday the Crown Prince must been called by his father, who gives him the permission to begin of his military training."

 

"It is true! When the former Crown Prince Dong Wook was twelve, he also did that. A full ceremony, right? Outdoors…"

 

"Yes, and that’s when Huang Zitao is going to intervene. After so many years, our wishes would be fulfilled."

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

King Seung-hyun was on his desk, alone, his eyes fixed on the documents he should have been reading. But, his mind was with his eldest son, the stubborn Choi Jeongwan, who didn’t want to apologize to the Queen.

 

"This rascal… I don’t know what we will do if he doesn’t control his personality a little more…"

 

A thud noise coming from the secret corridor startled him. It had been years since the last time it was used, so he didn’t expect anyone coming. Carefully, he took a sword and faced towards the secret corridor, which was hidden behind a room divider.

 

"My King!" Mi-young screamed, and the plate she was carrying fell on the floor.

 

"Excuse me, my Queen!"

 

With his clumsy hands he tried to help Mi-young to pick up the food. They were his favorite sweets. And, watching her with the plate on her hands made him remember how his beloved Park Bom entered to his chambers, ignoring the banning for women to enter there.

 

"HOW DARE YOU TO IMITATE MY BELOVED PARK BOM?! EH?! HOW DARE YOU?!"

 

His rage was so uncontrolled that he threw once more the sweets on the floor, hitting Mi-young’s hands in the process. When she tried to pick them up once more, he kicked the sweets with his feet, sending them far away.

 

"LEAVE, NOW OR I WILL CALL THE GUARDS!"

 

Mi-young didn’t listen, and took one of the sweets, carrying it with strength. Her expression was full of anger and she was trying to hold her tears.

 

"Your tears will not weaken my determination, Queen Mi-young. It was a sacred ritual I shared with my beloved Park Bom, and you shall not repeat this: it is a huge offense towards her."

 

And, those last words made Mi-young explode.

 

"I CAN’T HANDLE IT ANYMORE!"

 

She approached the king running and threw him on the floor, sitting on his stomach. He wasn’t expecting that reaction, and, when he tried to push her, Mi-young forced him to eat the dirty sweet.

 

"HOW DARE YOU TO TREAT ME THIS WAY! Ever since I came to the court four years ago I have only been criticized and humiliated by you..."

 

The memories of his harsh behavior towards Mi-young hit Seung-hyun, and, although he could have used his strength to release himself from her, he understood she needed to express her rage. So, he ate the dusty sweet, trying to control his urge to vomit. He owned her that.

 

"WHAT HAVE I DONE? TELL ME!" and she couldn’t hold her tears anymore. "I have tried to approach your children to make them feel comfortable with me as your wife. I have reorganized the palace administration to make it more efficient. Do you know how much lack of sleep I have? I have spent the whole afternoon with your mother at the Palace kitchen’s to prepare you those sweets… and, without anyone asking me it… I have started a new investigation to discover who killed the love of your life… although it kills me to see you could never love me as much as I love you because your heart will always be hers. WHAT ELSE CAN I DO? TELL ME! WHAT ELSE?!"

 

Seung-hyun took Mi-young’s wrists and softly pushed her, they were sitting face to face. Only a few inches were separating their noses. Brown against brown.

 

He truly tried to make Mi-young feel comfortable and happy: she was a good woman, after all. Seung-hyun admired her abilities and kindness: not every woman would have tried to get close to his children. She was an extraordinary person. But, when he tried to define what he felt for her, he just couldn’t do it: the memories of Park Bom haunted him. Seung-hyun didn’t feel the same way with Mi-young, and, after her declaration, he felt sorry for the unrequited feelings.

 

"It is true that my heart will always be for Park Bom. Forgive me, my Queen."

 

Mi-young looked down, finally defeated. “So, no matter how much I try, he will never love me.” she thought.

 

"But, I apologize, my Queen. Because it is true I never gave you the support you deserved. You are an incredibly talented and capable Queen. The best I could have asked for."

 

Mi-young knew that, if they were going to live together until the day she died, his lack of love would depress her, but, back then, his compliments were enough.

 

"You did not know it was a tradition between the two of us. I should have told you, but, I am too tense because of the Crown Prince. Forgive me because our bad relationship has also affected you. From now, I will support your decisions as a Queen, Mi-young. For that reason, tomorrow evening, you will stay beside me, and the Crown Prince will have to accept my will. YOU are the rightful Queen of Joseon. You deserve the title more than anyone else."

 

"Those weren’t the words I was expecting, but, thank you, milord, for your kindness." she smiled with mirthless. "I should go…"

 

"Don’t go now or people will notice your moment of weakness, my Queen. You have fought a lot to destroy your reputation in a split of a second."

 

Mi-young nodded and tried to control her tears. It was raining once more and it seemed the sky was as sad as the Queen of Joseon.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"You must talk with Queen Mi-young, Crown Prince." Han Ye Seul advised to his nephew, who was lying on his lap, looking for some comfort.

 

"She wants to replace my mother!" he rose from the floor, angry. "You were right, aunts!"

 

"I know, Prince Jeongwan. But, your behavior is not proper for a Crown Prince." Park Han Byul, scolded him. "It was too immature."

 

"She wants to erase the memory of my mother from Earth!"

 

"But she will be the Dowager Queen someday. You just can’t have the Dowager Queen as your enemy, young prince."

 

"Then, what?"

 

"Then, when you will become king, you use your abilities and influence to take the power from her and transform her in a mere adornment. You musn't eliminate the sister of an Emperor." Ye Seul suggested. "You cannot let your enemies know you are their enemy."

 

"WHY SHOULD I DO THAT?!" he answered with arrogance.

 

"JEONGWAN!"

 

Ye Seul rose from the floor, and, once she did it, she lost balance: giving birth to her twins had been a tough task, and she wasn’t fully recovered. Before she fainted, Han Byul took her, and gently placed her older sister on her mattress once more.

 

"I am so sorry, aunt!" Jeongwan apologized.

 

"Trust us, Jeongwan." Park Han Byul said. "And tomorrow, on your birthday, apologize to the Queen. Try to be nicer to her, not too exaggerated, but, nicer."

 

Jeongwan sat next to his aunts, and hugged Han Ye Seul, the closest he had to a mother figure.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"I thought our King would have accepted her by now, Dowager Queen. Our small plan has failed."

 

"This son of mine… as stubborn as his mother." Uhm Jung Hwa proudly said. "But do not worry, First Palace Lady, my son likes the strong-woman type. It is a matter of time…"

 

"Pardon me if I am tactlessness… but, would you mind to tell me why do you like Queen Mi-young so much, your majesty?"

 

"Because she is just like me when I was her age. And my son and our kingdom need a tough Queen."

 

"You were never like this with Queen Sandara."

 

"It was lady Park Bom the one I wanted as a Queen. I loved Park Sandara, but she was too kind for the task. If she was not murdered, I think she would not have lasted long. I know she was your best friend, First Palace Lady. Forgive, but it is the truth."

 

"I know she was my best friend. But I must agree with you, Dowager Queen. Being the mother of our nation was too much for Queen Sandara."

 

"Then, do I have your absolute support towards my plan to get my son fall in love with my daughter-in-law, First Palace Lady?"

 

"You would not have had to ask, Dowager Queen."

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Good morning, princess!" Arisa greeted.

 

"It is Taeyeon, Arisa!"

 

"Sorry, my bad!"

 

They shared together their breakfast, but Taeyeon could sense the atmosphere was different from other days. The usual conversations were less loud and people were more focused on finishing their breakfast rather than talking.

 

"What is the matter?"

 

"All of you are leaving!" Song MinHo exclaimed, with a melodramatic voice.

 

"Shut up MinHo!" Kang Seung Yoon yelled. "It is not a moment to do stupid things."

 

"All of us? It is only Chaerin and me…"

 

"Hyori and her daughter are leaving too" Yuri informed. "The poor girl has been crying all day in her chambers. She hasn’t even had her breakfast."

 

"Why?"

 

"Lord HeeChul needs his right-hand back. And Hyori wishes to raise her daughter as a proper lady at Gyeongbokgung." Yuri informed. 

 

"The Korean Palace isn’t a proper place for a young girl. Na-Eun." Taeyeon rose. "Give me some breakfast, please."

 

"She wishes to be alone. Let the child cry, please, princess."

 

"I know how Gyeongbokgung is like, and, trust me, lady Yuri. A depressed soul cannot survive there."

 

Yuri was angry, but Taeyeon didn’t mind it: she took the plate Na-Eun prepared for little Seung-wan and went to her house. Hyori was sitting outside her daughter’s room, talking to the door. 

 

"C’mon, daughter. Lord HeeChul will adopt you as his daughter, and you will be a lady."

 

"I DO NOT WANT , MOTHER!"

 

"It is what all young ladies want!"

 

"NOT ME! AND I AM NOT A LADY!"

 

"You are eleven, you are already a young lady!"

 

"NO!"

 

"YES!"

 

"NO!"

 

"I DO NOT WANT YOU TO STOP BEING MY MOMMY!"

 

"I will not stop being your mommy just because lord HeeChul adopts you legally…"

 

It was a sweet scene: you could hear little Seung-wan crying in her room, and also Lee Hyori was crying in front of the door, because both were sad about their departure. Taeyeon could understand why she wanted to leave the place: living with pirates wasn’t the best place to raise a child.

 

"Can I talk with her, lady Hyori?"

 

"Of course, your majesty."

 

Taeyeon entered the room, and the crying Seung-wan hugged her, tightly. She was sobbing so uncontrollably that her nose was running.

 

"Princess… princess… I don’t want to leave Oeyeondo Island! I don’t want to be a lady!"

 

"Why?"

 

"Yuri told me ladies sit all day and sew stupid silk handkerchiefs. No more fun…"

 

"That is not true?!"

 

"Really?!"

 

"Well, of course a lady should know how to sew, draw and be a good charity person. But, look at Chaerin and Yuri: both are ladies and can fight!"

 

"Well… yes… but, what if lord HeeChul doesn’t want me to fight?! I do not want to sew!" and she cried even more.

 

"Oh… Seung-wan… I know lord HeeChul and he doesn’t like common things. He will let you fight if you want to."

 

"Really?!"

 

"And horse riding?"

 

"And horse riding."

 

"And kill my enemies with a sword like Yuri?"

 

"Well… I don’t think killing is the solution, little Seung-wan."

 

"But, trust me, being a lady isn’t that bad."

 

"You hate it."

 

"But just because I am a princess and I can’t do the same things as other girls. It depends on the type of parents you have. My father was really traditional."

 

"Because he was a King..." Seung-wan thought.

 

"He was. And, besides, I’ll be with you in Hanseong, so, anytime you feel sad, you can come and visit me."

 

"Really?!"

 

"Of course. And you’ll see. There will be other boys and girls of your age… Isn’t it boring to be your age here? You only have Dong Han Bin to play with. The others are or too young or too old for you, little Seung-wan."

 

She reflected for a few minutes, thinking about the drawbacks and positive things about her possible new life in Joseon. Seung-wan was a practical girl who loved her mother deeply, so, she was going to follow Hyori’s wishes. But, if she was able to go happy towards her new life, things would be better.

 

"I shall go now. Think about it, little Seung-wan. You have time."

 

Taeyeon stood up, and before she left the room, Seung-wan gave the princess a back hug. With this, all her shirt was full of snots. “I think I will need to change clothes, I do not know why…” Taeyeon thought.

 

"Could you tell my mother to help me with my luggage, please, princess?"

 

"That’s a really good decision."

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

Jeongwan was riding beside his favorite uncle, the Thunder. He was the Crown Prince of Joseon, but, having the best sword of the kingdom as his uncle was something Jeongwan felt proud of. They were riding their horses side to side and silently, but, Jeongwan, who hated uncomfortable silences, had to talk.

 

"Thank you again uncle, for letting me visit us."

 

"It was your father who gave the order. Never forget that. But, are you happy you were able to see your cousins, Crown Prince?"

 

"Yes! Jisoo is going to be very beautiful."

 

"Like your mother, then."

 

"Was my mother as beautiful as everyone says, uncle Sang-hyun?"

 

"The prettiest woman in Court. But I was his brother, so, I cannot be objective, Crown Prince."

 

"That was why I asked you. I can only remember a woman with big brown eyes and porcelain hands." and his expression turned sad.

 

"I also do not remember how my mother looked like, Crown Prince."

 

"Really?"

 

"But you are destroying her memory by behaving like this, Crown Prince." Sang-hyun also scolded him.

 

"You too, uncle?" Jeongwan complained.

 

"Of course! Your father is being merciful and comprehensive because you have grown without your mother… but, you are treating him like an immature boy. Your mother used to scold me so much when I was childish and disrespectful towards father!"and Sang-hyun descended from his horse.

 

"Yes? Uncle…" he was suspicious. "You are saying it because you want me to change my behavior, aren’t you?"

Sang-hyun approached to Jeongwan’s horse, to help him. But the Crown Prince didn’t want any help to descend from his horse. So, he jumped without warning the stable boy. All he did was giggling.

 

"If you were not the Crown Prince, I would have already kicked you."

 

"But do not worry, lord Sang-hyun. I am going to be the one who scolds him."

 

The king was waiting for his son at the stables, only to see once more how happy he was without his father by his side. “He is still so angry at me…” Seung-hyun thought. But, he knew he was doing the right thing: if his father hadn’t been tough with him, he would have failed as a ruler in complicated situations.

 

"A Crown Prince must be humble and treat his people with the respect he expects to get back. You are going to apologize to the poor stable boy."

 

"Your majesty… there is no…" the stable boy, who was bowing all the time and didn’t dear to look at the king’s eyes, said.

 

"I haven’t finish, boy." he asseverated. "And tomorrow you will do his job. I will supervise it.  All day."

 

"But… tomorrow is my birthday!" Jeongwan complained. "You must give me the authorization for my military training!""

 

"MUST?!"

 

Sang-hyun had seen the King angry a few times, but, the way his lord looked at his son… Rumors said the Thunder wasn’t scared of anyone. Well, they weren’t true: after that intense gaze, the person he feared the most was King Choi Seung-hyun.

 

"Then, if you work diligently, I promise I will give you the permission and celebrate your birthday properly. FIRST PALACE LADY!"

 

Kwon Bo Ah appeared out of nowhere and stood next to the Crown Prince.

 

"Take my son to his chambers. If he complains you can carry him around the palace like a baby. His tutor is waiting." he glimpsed Jeongwan. "See you tomorrow at dawn, my son."

 

Jeongwan slightly bowed and disappeared with Lady Bo Ah.

 

"Follow me, lord Sang-hyun."

 

Sang-hyun bowed even with more respect than before towards his king and followed him without hesitation, his sword ready just in case he had to defend him. They arrived at the State Council room, where the Councilors were waiting.

 

"Brother." the Chef State Councillor and Second Prince, Choi Daesung, welcomed the king. "Please, take a seat."

 

"Lord Soo-Hyuk, write down all the meeting. It won’t take long." the King ordered.

 

But, Sang-hyun knew that the meeting would last at least four hours: the obsession towards control and perfection of the King was sometimes positive, but not when it implied Sang-hyun would work until late and won’t be able to sleep. That way, he wouldn’t be able to protect the King properly.  

 

"As you wish, your majesty."

 

"First of all, I, the King, welcome the six Councilors, the Left State Councillor, lord Park Houng-jun, the Right State Councillor, lord Park Sung-woo, and my beloved brother, the Chief State Councilor. Please, take a seat."

 

And the nine men sat on the mattress, waiting for the King’s words.

 

"After the failure of lord Sang-hyun towards the rescue of my sister, First Princess Taeyeon, he had been degraded and is now my Security Chef. Well, I would like to change that…"

 

"But, your majesty! He lost the Princess!" Right State Councillor, Park Sung-woo complained.

 

"How dare you to question our King’s decision!" Left State Councillor, Park Houng-jun exclaimed.

 

"You are saying that because he’s your younger brother!"

 

"He has lost his position as a Major General because of you, Park Sung-woo , so do no ever dare to plot against us once more!"

 

"MILORDS!" the King screamed. "Enough, please. I do not care about the personal problems between the Parks of the East and the West. All that matters is the kingdom."

 

Both men sat down, ashamed by making their confrontations public.

 

"Since my son, the Crown Prince has to start his military training and lord Park Sang-hyun is one of our best soldiers, from tomorrow, he will my son’s tutor. It is something we must vote in the council because it concerns the Kingdom’s future. So… please, milords, vote. I will give you a few minutes."

 

Choi Daesung approached his brother with a smirk. Everyone knew the six councilors had their loyalties divided between the Parks of the West and the East. So, it was a four-four voting. So, nobody noticed that the two brothers were talking.

 

"Are you sure you want to lose your best bodyguard, brother?" Daesung whispered.

 

"I cannot be blinded and play with the West and East factions as much as I can." Seung-hyun also smirked. "After my marriage to the Queen, I have recovered the support of the pro-Chinese factions in the north. And by chasing the Pirates, the backing of the South. I need the Parks of the East and the West fighting against each other so I can get back the control."

 

"Your witness always surprises me. You are just like mother. Then… do you expect me to untie this towards…"

 

"I want the Thunder as my son’s tutor. Please, brother."

 

The members of the State Council were always odd to avoid ties. And, knowing the Parks controlled half of the Council each, when Seung-hyun became king, he named his younger brother, Choi Daesung, as his Chief State Councilor. He was a calm and positive man. Maybe a bit too religious and superstitious in Seung-hyun’s point of view, but everyone has his flaws. They were playmates and rose together, since none of them was expected to become the Crown Prince. For that reason, Daesung naturally became the King’s best and most loyal friend. So, when the unavoidable tie arrived, Daesung shared a sight of complicity with his brother, and…

 

"I vote for Lord Park Sang-hyun to become the Crown Prince’s mentor and master."

 

After insults between the two houses and a new scream by Seung-hyun, the king proceeded with his speech, and, he knew, that was about to get even uglier.

 

"As you might already know, my wife, Queen Qing Mi-young, has took charge of her duties as the Lady of Gyeongbokgung and started a full-detailed revision of the Palace’s accounts. And well…"

 

Seung-hyun clapped his hands and some members of the Royal Investigation Bureau, led by Kim HeeChul and some guards, entered to the Council.

 

"Lord Ming, Lord Kim and Lord Kang, you are arrested by the Crown for corruption and treason towards the Kingdom of Joseon for confiscating public properties." the King informed.

 

By the faces of both Lord Park Sung-woo and Park Houng-jun, Seung-hyun knew they didn’t see it coming. Everyone knew the men he was about to punish were just some puppets under the control of both Parks.

 

"From now on, all the nobles in Court will get his finances investigated. I cannot tolerate corruption even in my State Council. And, if the Royal Investigation Bureau finds something suspicious, all the goods will be transferred to the public finances."

 

But, those detentions were only the beginning.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Where is princess Taeyeon?" Lee Hyori asked next morning, once again at breakfast time.

 

"Isn’t she with your daughter, Hyori?"

 

"No… Seung-wan is packing her things. As princess Taeyeon should be doing."

 

"Packing? Taeyeon and I?"

 

"Why not?" Seungri asked.

 

"Because, silly man, we have been kidnapped! How a kidnapped person can have any possessions to pack."

 

"You have not been kidnapped… you are our guests."

 

"Really? So, you force your guests to follow them, I guess. My bad, lord Seung-hyun… my bad."

 

"Do not mock me!"

 

"I’ll search for the princess, lady Hyori."

 

"Do not leave without an apologize." Seungri complained. 

 

"Would you mind to help little Seung-wan with her stuff?" Jiyong asked Chaerin. "I cannot continue helping Seung-wan with her packing. I am afraid I am not a good advisor for clothing… I will look for princess Taeyeon."

 

"Are you sure, Kwon Jiyong?"

 

"Yes, please. Save me from the hell of laces and colors!"

 

Chaerin giggled and accepted Jiyong’s offer. She could sense the pirate’s feelings towards Taeyeon had changed and were honest and pure. A blind man could see there was something boiling between the two of them. But, Chaerin, who was the responsible of the Princess’ security, wasn’t afraid: Taeyeon was a woman who put her duties as First Princess above anything else. And Kwon Jiyong loved her friend enough to let her follow her destiny. Even if that made him terribly sad he had to invent awful excuses to get a few more minutes of the princess company.

 

"Then go, lord Jiyong."

 

"I am not a lord. Not now."

 

"You have never stopped being one in my eyes, lord Jiyong."

 

Jiyong smiled and started his quest to find the lost princess. And, surprisingly, he hadn’t a clue of where she was. Not even in the highest point of the Island he was able to see her. Then, he remembered the night when he realized her feelings for her, when she usually disappeared for a few hours at night.

 

He went towards the cliffs of the island, and started searching for any type of clue. Finally, after an hour trying to find her, he got the track of her feet. Without hesitation, Jiyong followed them, deep inside the forest. Suddenly, the track stopped in front of a well, so deep he couldn’t see its end.

 

Scared that something dangerous might have happened to the princess, he descended through the well as fast as he could. “Where are you, princess?” Inside the well, everything was dark, and Jiyong waited a few seconds before moving. Until his eyes were used to the dark. He saw a small tunnel, so he decided to crawl through it: maybe the princess tried to find an alternative exit, since the well was too deep to climb it back.

 

"PRINCESS TAEYEON! Where are you? Princess Taeyeon!"

 

There was no answer, and he got scared: maybe she was so hurt she couldn’t speak. And he panicked. He screamed and screamed and screamed, when, suddenly, he entered into a big hidden cave. He was blinded for a few seconds, because, surprisingly, it was well illuminated: small holes on the ceiling let the natural sunlight run brightened the place. Yet, it was so dry that Jiyong had to cover his nose and mouth a little, to avoid the dust.

 

"What are you doing here, Kwon Jiyong?" a surprised Taeyeon yelled.

 

"What am I doing here? Well, what are you doing here, princess?"

 

"Nothing…" she lied.

 

"LIAR!" he complained. "Let me see!"

 

Jiyong dodged Taeyeon and looked at what she was doing: behind her, there was a pile of well-packed wood branches, tied with ropes. He gaped, unable to understand and waiting for Taeyeon’s explanation.

 

"It is a stupid story." she confessed, quite ashamed and blushing in the process.

 

"I have time, princess."

 

Jiyong sat on a rock in front of her, waiting for the shameful details with a funny expression. Taeyeon kicked his arm shyly, embarrassed for her actions. Without looking at him, Taeyeon decided to explain everything.

 

"I was so desperate to leave this island that on my first days here I explored the land, trying to find a way to escape."

 

"And a secret cave is an excellent way to escape, I guess." he joked.

 

"Do not mock me, Kwon Jiyong!"

 

"Forgive me, your majesty. Please, continue, princess".

 

"By accident I found this secret cave, and, since it was the driest place in the Island, I thought it might be a good idea to store branches from the forest and let them dry. The whole Korean Navy is looking for me, so I thought that…"

 

"… with a big fire you would be able to pass the dense fog of Oeyeondo Island and give a signal to the Navy."

 

"Exactly!"

 

She was shocked for many reasons. The first one was because he understood her plan in just a few seconds, and she was disappointed at her lack of creativity. The second one, and the most shocking, was because he didn’t seem mad at all with her. On the contrary, he was sitting there, looking at her with a smile from end to end and which made his eyes look almost closed. “How can be so happy when I am telling him I was trying to escape?” she thought. But then she remembered she was talking with a man who had voluntarily set her free: he didn’t care about losing her sight.

 

"But… there is something I do not understand, princess."

 

"What?"

 

"Why are you packing the wood so diligently? It is a useless effort."

 

"That?! Oh! Since I am not going to use this wood for anything, I decided to give it to you and the Silver Dragons. You are quite in the north and winters here are cold."

 

Suddenly, Taeyeon felt really uncomfortable, because Jiyong was gazing her with such a sweet look, full of admiration and so steadily she couldn’t handle it.

 

"Stop, please, you make me uncomfortable."

 

"You have changed, First Princess Taeyeon." he became serious, too serious for Taeyeon’s taste. "From the spoiled, chubby selfish teenager I met years ago to the proud, brave and beautiful woman you are right now."

 

Taeyeon couldn’t close for the surprising words. She was experiencing too many shocking moments that morning.

 

"Do not look at me like that, princess. Please, it makes me sad, because you cannot see how incredible you are, and you should trust yourself more."

 

He stood up and held Taeyeon’s arms with his hands, trying to comfort her. His gaze was so intense that the princess had to look away.

 

"To my eye, you are the woman with the prettiest mind, prettiest heart and prettiest soul in this world Taeyeon, my beloved princess. I love you."

 

And with a sweet gaze in his eyes, he closed the distance between them, kissing Taeyeon softly. He didn’t move, he didn’t expect anything from her. But, if she was about to leave him forever, he had to end things properly and let the princess know he didn’t hate her for what happened seven years ago. On the contrary: since they might not see each other again, Taeyeon had to know that the love Jiyong felt for her had made him feel alive for the first time in a long time. And Jiyong was going to take that energy with him to live his life to the fullest until his last breath.

 

After a few seconds, he ended the kiss and looked at Taeyeon, who was unable to pronounce coherent words. So, once more, Jiyong helped his princess.

 

"Shhhh." he laid a finger on her wet lips. "I know you don’t love me anymore, princess. You have made it clear so many times before. Do not hurt me with something I already know, please. But… can you do me a favor? Can I hold your hand while you show me the way to get out of here? Let me enjoy your company before you leave to the Palace."

 

Still in shock, Taeyeon couldn’t find the proper words to say. So, she did the only thing she could: she nodded and took Jiyong’s hand, granting the Pirate’s last wish. But she couldn't: a sharp pain in her chest made her faint on the floor.

 

"Princess Taeyeon!"

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"So… the purge has gone as expected, am I wrong, lord HeeChul?" the Queen, who was sitting gracefully on a stone by a pond, asked.

 

"Not at all, your majesty. The three nobles are held in the dungeons and tomorrow it will be their trial. But the evidence is too strong, my Queen."

 

"What will their destinies be, lord HeeChul? The three of them have children."

 

"They will be degraded to the sangmin and forced to do manual works to provide for their families. Maybe get a low-rank job as artisans. I cannot tell…"

 

"I am glad to hear the whole family will not be punished."

 

"That is not something we can recommend. As for now, all the Joseon noble families are linked by interests. The King must be severe, but merciful. If not we might have a rebellion."

 

"My family got the control of China thirty years ago because of a rebellion. I know very well the risks, lord HeeChul. You did not have to tell me."

 

"Forgive, your majesty, I have offended you." and HeeChul bowed, he could sense the Queen wasn’t alright, so he didn’t insist.

 

"I am sorry, milord. You have come to inform me about your discoveries at the border. I am sorry we could not talk before."

 

"We were busy preparing the purge. Nobody expected it!"

 

"Really? Not even Park Houng-jun? I think he has lots of illegal activities, right?"

 

"I was also shocked, your majesty."

 

"We will catch him… but, now. Tell me EVERYTHING."

 

Kim HeeChul breathed heavily, ready to explain to the Queen everything.

 

"We found a man who affirmed that Huang Qi Zhen, the famous Emperor’s assassin, killed his friends because they discovered him at the borders of our Kingdom. He was dressed as a shepherd to enter the country without getting to declare before to the local authorities. As you know, shepherds are exempted because sheep’s do not understand about borders."

 

"It is true. Sometimes the simplest answer is the least evident."

 

"Indeed…"

 

Mi-young showed a half-smile, and, HeeChul couldn’t understand if it was a product of fatigue or a bigger inner struggle.

 

"What is the problem, your royal highness? You seem sad."

 

"We have been through a lot together, haven’t we, lord HeeChul?" she changed the subject. "I can start to know when you are not being completely honest with me, milord. So, tell me, what do you have in your mind?"

 

HeeChul understood it was the right moment to tell the Queen EVERYTHING. Even the relationship he had with the Royal Secretary Lee Soo-Hyuk and the Silver Dragons. The Queen and the First Princess were close friends, so she deserved to know the truth and his plans to take her back when they stopped the Emperor’s plans. He felt it was the right thing to do. So, with all his courage, he explained the Queen all.

 

He expected her reaction: her eyes wide-opened and at first scolded him for his betray. But, after a few moments of reflection, she finally said:

 

"Acting against the King’s wishes was not right, lord HeeChul."

 

"I know, your majesty." he knelt down. "Please, forgive this useless servant of yours."

 

"Nevertheless…" she took a minute: to make him suffer a little for his secret. "I think you did the right thing, milord."

 

"Truly?!"

 

"Of course. If my husband could have found the way to save his friend’s life, I think he would have tried. He is a tough ruler, but not a tyrant like my brother, the Emperor."

 

Her words comforted him.

 

"You saved a good man and his family of a terrible destiny. Imagine me without the First Palace Lady Kwon beside me! I would have perished in this Court the first day I arrived."

 

"I am really thankful for your words, your royal highness."

 

"But…" she changed the subject once more. "Then, was Huang Qi Zhen the murderer or just a mere spy of my brother?"

 

"I cannot tell, your majesty. But, if there is someone who might know something… it is your Security Chief, lord Huang Zitao."

 

"I accepted lord Huang as my personal bodyguard because he swore in front of the gods that he wanted to leave China and his father. That he did not want to be near his father. I highly doubt a decent man like him might aware of his father’s sins."

 

"It can be true.HeeChul said, yet he had his doubts. "But, in my humble opinion, your royal highness, we should ask him. Most of my birds are children or young kids because they can sense things. Maybe he heard his father talking about something he could not understand well."

 

"But give me a few days to ask him. We must be careful because lord Zitao was abused by his father when he was a kid, and he explained me the memories of his past make him suffer. I do not want to make him suffer."

 

"You are too gentle sometimes, your majesty."

 

"Only for the people I care. We must destroy our enemies, but take care of our allies as if they were our children."

 

"I should read The Art of War someday."

 

"You can start today. Go home and rest, milord. Have a clear conscience because you have done everything you could."

 

Kim HeeChul said goodbye to his queen, who called her guards to guide her to her chambers. Lord Huang Zitao was among them, and HeeChul got chills when he looked at him. He was a tall and intimidating man, with something a bit out of this world in his eyes. But, he had to trust Queen Mi-young’s judgment: maybe she was right.

 

He went to the stables to look for his horse, and he was surprised because there was nobody there, but he thought the stable boys were changing shifts. Nothing important.

 

It wasn’t until he felt the smack in his head and fell on the floor, when Kim HeeChul knew he was in deep trouble.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"You look lovely today, my Queen." Kwon Bo Ah said, while approaching the Queen a wet towel to wash her face.

 

"Maybe it is because I slept a lot today."

 

"That is uncommon, your royal highness."

 

"I did not have the best day yesterday, so I hope today will be better."

 

"That is a good decision, your majesty."

 

"Thank you, lady Bo Ah. Can I wear today the red hanbok?"

 

"It is my favorite. Of course, I will tell your maids to prepare it."

 

After a small breakfast, some morning exercise and getting dressed, Mi-young was once more ready to face the King. It was embarrassing to face him once more, but, she had to: today it was the moment Seung-hyun was going to officially show he accepted her as the rightful Queen, and nobody, even the Crown Prince, had the right to question it.

 

"Good morning, Queen Mi-young!"

 

The always energetic Ha Yi was walking through the gardens with her little brother, Yeon Jun. The little boy was a funny vision: he was walking while reading a book, but had enough experience doing that to avoid any type of obstacle.

 

"C’mon, Yeon Jun! The Queen is here! Stop reading and greet her properly, as I have taught you!"

 

She took her little brother’s book and pushed it as high as she could. That way, Yeon Jun was unable to reach it. Mi-young used to do that to her younger sister, Sooyoung. But, by the letters she sent her, it might be possible she was taller than her now.

 

"Alright! I will do it!" he bowed. "Good morning, your majesty. I hope you had a nice sleep."

 

"Good morning, Third Prince. I hope you had a nice sleep, too."

 

"Thank you, my Queen."

 

"Mi-young would be alright, only if you let me call you, Yeon Jun."

 

"Really?!" he opened his eyes wide-open, not expecting that.

 

"Of course, but just when there aren’t a lot of people around, okay? Your older sister does the same."

 

"And she had not told me! Ha Yi! You are mean to me!" the seven-year-old complained.

 

"Not sorry, little boy! Should we go to the Great Hall?" Ha Yi suggested. "The ceremony will start in an hour."

 

"By the way, Ha Yi… where is your father, the King?"

 

It was strange, because, usually, before a great ceremony, the King usually spent some hours with his children, reviewing with them what they should do and what it was expected of them. But, that day, he wasn’t there.

 

"Oh! Mi-young! It is so funny! Father was supervising Jeongwan at the stables. He is being there all day and Jeongwan smells like horses so much he is now taking a bath."

 

"He smells to poop!" Yeon Jun giggled. "And father too!"

 

"It cannot be true…"

 

Mi-young had to control the urge to laugh. The idea of Jeongwan cleaning something was quite funny, and a fair punishment for his lack of respect. But she couldn’t say that out loud.

 

The eunuch announced their arrival, and the nobles who were standing at the stone patio bowed to the royal family.

 

"Please, take a seat, my Queen." Huang Zitao said.

 

"You look tired, milord. I have told you to go to sleep early."

 

Usually, lord Huang Zitao had natural eye bags, but that day, they were unusually purple. And Mi-young feared his security guard wasn’t feeling alright.

 

"I know my Queen, the problem is that I am not used to it. Forgive me, your royal highness."

 

Mi-young took her seat next to the King’s throne, and the royal children sat on her feet.

 

"Now it is not the moment to read, Yeon Jun!"

 

Ha Yi took the young prince’s book and place it between the folds in Mi-young’s seat. It was covered with silk cloths with the emblem of the House of Choi. In bright red and blue.

 

"Forgive me, my Queen."

 

Huang Zitao stepped on the silky cloths and tried to avoid a deep yawn.

 

"You should go and rest. I will have another guard to protect me today."

 

"No! I insist, your majesty."

 

"As you wish, lord Huang."

 

The drums started to sound, and the King made his appearance, followed by the Crown Prince. Both were equally handsome, so the view of both of them walking so solemnly and dressed in their best garments was something Mi-young found quite pleasing.  

 

The King sat on his throne, and the prince bowed in front of him.

 

"TODAY! We celebrate the Crown Prince’s twelfth birthday. In these twelve years, we have suffered and faced the shadows surrounding us. And your Crown Prince has grown to become a clever and energetic boy." he looked at his son with a mischievous face. "Sometimes a bit proud and arrogant, but, I completely trust him. One day, when my reign is over, the Crown Prince Jeongwan will be a fair and right ruler. And that is why, on his twelfth birthday, the Queen of Joseon and I, the King, offer the Crown Prince his first sword and a tutor, lord Park Sang-hyun."

 

Jeongwan had to control the urge to smile, because he felt so happy about the idea of having his uncle as his mentor. “The best sword in all Joseon, cool” he thought.

 

"You shall treat this sword." and Seung-hyun waved his hand, giving Mi-young the permission to take it. "We hope you keep working hard and become a great soldier for your nation, my son."

 

Mi-young took the sword from its case and walked towards the Crow Prince. It was a sunny day, so she had to turn her head a little to avoid the bright rays of light.

 

If that day had also been a rainy day, everything would have been different, because the Queen wouldn’t have seen Huang Zitao’s worried face when she stood in front of the Crown Prince. It was a subtle expression, but Mi-young knew him for years and was able to see it.

 

Huang Zitao never shows any type of facial expression, why is he worried that I stand in front of the Crown Prince?” she thought.

 

Then, the facts of her investigation, the tales she had heard about the murderers of Park Bom and Park Sandara… everything made a click on Mi-young’s head.

 

And she saw it, the arrow which was going straight towards the Crown Prince’s chest. Out of nowhere and too fast to stop it.

 

"NOOOOOOOOO!" she screamed.

 

Everything went so fast… the dry sound of Jeongwan’s falling on the floor because Mi-young pushed him, the sharp sound of her screams when the arrow hit her, the screams of Ha Yi and Yeon Jun, seeing the closest they had to a mother figure falling on the ground, the painful scream of the King.

 

"NO!"

 

"Brother!"

 

Daesung screamed for his brother Seung-hyun, who was already holding the Queen Qing Mi-young in his arms. The stains of blood were invisible thanks to her red hanbok.

 

"Call the Great Doctor, NOW!" Daesung ordered, and sat next to her too, pressuring her wounds so the blood would stop flowing.

 

"Did I save the Crown Prince, my King?" her face was getting paler by moments.

 

"Yes, I am here, your majesty. Please, live. Please."

 

The scared Crown Prince was sitting next to her, also trying to stop the hemorrhage. All the royal family was surrounded by a circle of soldiers. Jeongwan hold Mi-young’s hand, trying to give her strength.

 

"I cannot see him." and she started to cry: her strength was leaving her.

 

"Yes, he is safe, thanks to you, my Queen." the King said in a whisper.

 

"Thank God you are safe, Jeongwan."

 

"Please, save your strength, your majesty." Jeongwan begged.

 

"I am so sorry, I am so sorry…" Mi-young whispered. "You must find Huang Zitao… his father killed them…"

 

"It is alright. Keep your strength… you can explain me later, when you recover."

 

"WHERE IS THE DOCTOR?!" Daesung screamed.

 

"I am so sorry…"

 

And it was when Mi-young eyes started to lose their shine, when his garments were covered in blood… When Choi Seung-hyun realized he was in love Qing Mi-young, more than he could have ever imagined.

 

"Thank you, my love."

 

"Am I in Heaven now?" she smiled, her teeth covered in blood.

 

"No… I am so stupid. Please, my love, do not leave me. Please."

 

"I love you, my King." she whispered, it was difficult for her to talk: she was in so much pain.

 

"And I love you too, my Queen. With all my heart."

 

Mi-young closed her eyes, fainting because the pain was too terrible to handle. A smile on her face, because the love of her life, finally, corresponded her feelings.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

Taeyeon awoke on her bed, covered with a soft blanket. Summer was coming to an end, and the weather required it. The last thing she remembered was the soft lips of Kwon Jiyong in hers. Then, a sudden pain on her chest, and everything turned dark. She tried to get up, but the soft hands of Chaerin stopped her.

 

"You fainted, milady. You should rest."

 

"When?"

 

"I do not know. Lord Jiyong brought you in this state. Do you not remember, princess?"

 

She denied with her head and tried to get up once more.

 

"Lay a little more, please, Taeyeon."

 

"But… My chest hurts. I need to get up to recover."

 

"Milady…" she warned.

 

"Chaerin…" she warned too.

 

Carefully, Chaerin helped Taeyeon to get up, and after a few steps on the room, the pain on her chest became less tolerable. She even tried to walk through the room, alone, thinking about that kiss and that confession.

 

She had never kissed a man before, and knowing she accepted the kiss because she felt pity of Kwon Jiyong, made her feel she had wasted it. Her mother once told her that princesses and queens usually marry for political reasons, so they have to reserve themselves to men they might not love. But, that if she wanted, the only thing she could ever do for the man she loved, was offering him her first kiss.

 

But, it was her first kiss, after all, so, it was difficult for her to get used to the sensation. It was wet and warm, all at the same time. And that confession… it made her feel special and so…

 

"A SHIP! A SHIP IS COMING!"

 

The screams of Tae-hyun made her return to reality, and run towards the entrance of her house. From there, she could see it clearly: a ship, with the emblem of the House of Lee, was approaching to the Island.

 

Kwon Jiyong got out of his house, and Taeyeon blushed. Luckily for her, Jiyong didn’t pay attention, since he was wide smiling.

 

"It is Lee Soo-Hyuk, the master constructor!"

 

Everyone got happy about the news, so they run towards the beach, where Lee Soo-Hyuk’s ship was being tied up.

 

"Please, Chaerin, help me! I want to greet him."

 

"But, your chest..."

 

"It is an order."

 

Chaerin followed her order without hesitation and helped Taeyeon to walk slowly through the irregular roads towards the beach. When both women arrived to the beach, Lee Soo-Hyuk was already greeting the Kwons. But, what shocked the most to Taeyeon wasn’t his presence in the Island: it was the fact that his ship was guided by a blind crew.  “How can they guide the ship if the only person who can see is lord Soo-Hyuk?” Taeyeon asked herself. Then, she remembered something Seungri explained her once, one of those things she never cared for, because it was Kwon Seung-hyun who was talking.

 

"It is the helmsman the only one who has control over a ship’s heading. This is why I am indispensable for the Silver Dragons." that was what he said.

 

Taeyeon waited while the Kwons greeted his friend, and, minutes later, he was bowing in front of her.

 

"My princess." he said.

 

"Of all the people in the world, I would have never expected you, the most loyal servant of my brother, to be behind all this."

 

"Forgive me, my princess. But I tried to protect the royal family. I always try, sometimes…" he looked at her, quite sad. "I cannot."

 

"I do not understand."

 

Lee Soo-Hyuk feared that moment, more than anything else. He could deal with the consequences of being caught as the master constructor of the Silver Dragons. But he couldn’t deal with the fact it was his duty to tell Princess Taeyeon the news. So, he took a deep breath, and, with the softest voice he could do, he proceeded to explain.

 

"I am so deeply sorry to announce you, my dear princess, that three days ago, during the celebration of your nephew’s twelfth birthday…"

 

"Is the Crown Prince alright?" she interrupted him, holding tight Chaerin’s hand.

 

"He is alive."

 

Both women hugged each other, and all the people present at the beach smiled.

 

"But only because Queen Mi-young saved him from a fatal wound."

 

"WHAT?! QUEEN? MI-YOUNG? HOW HAS THIS HAPPENED?!" she couldn’t believe it. "WHY MI-YOUNG?! IS SHE ALRIGHT?!"

 

"I am afraid the doctors cannot do more for her. If she doesn’t awake in a few days, she will die."

 

Everyone looked at Taeyeon, and she hated it. Jiyong run next to her, to hold her. But, Taeyeon refused him. She was too angry, too frustrated and too mad to deal with anyone back then. All she did was look at lord Soo-Hyuk, with a poker face.

 

"You must come with me now. I will tell everyone the Silver Dragons released you on a local beach and that is why I left the palace in a hurry. Because I did want to verify the rumors of your return. But, maybe your presence at Gyeongbokgung will help your family to recover from their struggle."

 

Taeyeon nodded and started to walk, really slowly, towards the beach. Nobody dared to move or to interrupt her. Lee Hyori was holding her tears, and little Lee Seung-wan was crying on her mother’s lap.

 

Taeyeon didn’t want to face them or see how pitiful they were for her. She couldn’t bear it, because, it was too much. Not only had she lost his father and oldest brother at the age of ten and her sisters-in-law when she was just a teenager. Now, death was taking away another beloved one. And she couldn’t do anything about it.

 

So, she did the only thing she could: once she was at the seashore, she took sand between her hands, and throw it with anger towards the horizon, looking at the sky.

 

"WHAT HAVE I DONE TO YOU, GODS?! TELL ME?! IS MY FAMILY SO SINFUL TO BE TREATED THIS WAY?! TELL ME!"

 

She kept throwing sand and kicking the water with her feet. Chaerin was about to approach her, but, Jiyong was faster than her.

 

"Let’s leave them alone." Seungri suggested, and offered his hand to Chaerin.

 

Kwon Jiyong didn’t touch her or tried to talk to the princess. He let Taeyeon express her grief in silence. The grief of a woman who didn’t deserve all that.

 

 

 

 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"You told me your mechanical crossbow was very precise and that no-one except the Crown Prince would been hurt!" the second shadow complained to Huang Zitao. "You have killed the Queen!"

 

"That’s why I must leave now. No time to explain to the others."

 

"Why? Queen Mi-young…"

 

"She knows it was me and has informed the King. I saw her expression a few seconds before and she realized I was connected with the case."

 

"Are you sure?"

 

"I have protected her all my life. I know when Mi-young suspects of somebody."

 

"Where will you go?"

 

"To China. There I can hide properly and nobody will ever find me. That way, I won’t be captured."

 

"And our identities will be saved."

 

"Yes! Now! Go and continue with what you were doing! Talking like this in a public corridor is dangerous for us."

 

"Of course. Good luck, Huang Zitao."

 

"Good luck to you too."

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Are you sure do you have to leave?" Son Na-Eun asked Taeyeon before she got into the ship.

 

"My family needs me. I hope you could come with me. I’ll miss you." and she hugged both Arisa and Na-Eun, at the same time.

 

"Chaerin…" Arisa murmured. "I’ll miss you a lot."

 

"Me too, Arisa. Take care of Key."

 

The girls hugged and said their goodbyes properly. Then, all the Silver Dragons crew did the same, and, for once, Taeyeon left the manners behind and hugged everyone. Even the hesitant Seungri.

 

"Am I allowed to hug a princess?"

 

"Let’s pretend I am not one for a few seconds, shall we?"

 

The two last remaining were Kwon Yuri and Kwon Jiyong. The Black Pearl, to her surprise, hugged Taeyeon too. She wasn’t expecting that.

 

"I wish we can be friends again in our next life." Yuri was trying to hold her tears. "But in different circumstances…"

 

"I thought you hated me, Lady Yuri."

 

"I hate your title and what it represents. Not you, First Princess."

 

"Thank you, Lady Yuri, for everything."

 

And the last… Kwon Jiyong, The Dragon. He looked as fierce as the first time Taeyeon saw him inside the Silver Dragon. He was holding his sword with strength, and his expression wasn’t possible to read. Sadness? Anger? Joy because she was leaving. Taeyeon couldn’t tell. As with the others, Taeyeon hugged him, whispering a soft goodbye into his ear.

 

"The winds of autumn are going to be good. Your trip will be safe, princess."

 

"Thank you, lord Jiyong."

 

"I am not a lord, princess".

 

"Neither a despicable pirate."

 

"True, princess. True. You should go now."

But before Taeyeon left, she kissed Jiyong’s check, and looked at him with the most gratitude anyone had ever shown to him.

 

"May the Heavens reward you with the life of an Emperor in your next reincarnation, Dragon."

 

"Dragon?" he asked, in shock.

 

"Of course. The dragons are the most honorable creatures on Earth. And you are one of the most honorable men I know, Kwon Jiyong."

 

After saying this. She didn’t look back, and got into lord Soo-Hyuk’s ship. Without looking back. Her life as the hostage of the Silver Dragons had come to an end. She was once again the First Princess of Joseon, Choi Taeyeon.

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

"Why didn’t you confess your feelings to lord Jiyong, princess?" Lee Hyori asked, once her daughter was taking a nap on the deck.

 

"Am I that obvious?"

 

"Even a blind man could see it, your majesty."

 

"Really?"

 

"Would you mind to tell me why?"

 

"Well, lady Hyori… he almost died because his love for Sandara consumed him. If I tell him I love him, Jiyong will come back to me, and, if he gets caught, he will be beheaded for high treason. It will kill me, to see him die."

 

"But you will be miserable."

 

"If he is alive, I will never live a miserable live, because the Gods would have granted my biggest wish: save him."

 

 

 

 

 

 

__________________________

 

A/N: I know it has been a while since my last update and I apologize. But when I do not update, is because I do not have time. Truly.

I also suffered a problem with my computer: it broke and I lost the last chapter of the Silver Dragons. I was so mad that I couldn’t write for a few weeks. But, well, I think this chapter is better than the previous one, so, be happy.

That’s why I tried to make menses with this chapter. Let’s sum up. If you are reading this first, warning! SPOILER!

  • Mi-young and Jiyong confessed. I didn’t want the men to be the only ones confessing.
  • Taeyeon and Chaerin are leaving Oeyeondo Island to return to the Joseon Court.
  • Seung-hyun has made a check towards the Parks of the East and the West.
  • Taeyeon admitted she still had feelings for Jiyong…
  • Mi-young is severely wounded. Hope you’ve noticed the similarities with Bom’s death in chapter 3. Some of the lines are the same.
  • The shadows attacked.
  • Kim HeeChul has been kidnapped.
  • Seung-hyun has finally admitted his feelings for Mi-young.
  • Le Hyori and Lee Seung-wan (Red Velvet's Wendy) are also leaving the Island… and HeeChul is going to adopt her! Why so sudden?!

Question: who do you think the shadows are? In next chapter, we will know the identity of one. The least shocking of the three. So, you might get disappointed. Sorry in advance.  

 

Question II: what do you prefer? Short or long chapters? Because I think it would be a good idea to cut the chapters in two parts, I don't know what to do.