The Most Important Person

Love Him for Me

I'll fix this chapter next time. I know the end is a little messy, but for now I just wanna post xD

Hyesung unlocks the door to his home. Dongwan is sitting on the couch, reading. The sight used to cheer him up and make him forget about all unpleasant things. But today he feels burden by it.

He recalls the kiss he shared with Dongwan several days ago; how the other man had run from it and locked himself in the room. He never had the chance to clear things up with Dongwan. Maybe the policeman was really busy, or maybe he was just avoiding Hyesung.

“Hey…” he greets. Dongwan turns over, startles at the sight of Hyesung. No wonder Hyesung can finally meet him. Dongwan wasn’t actually reading. He is deep in thoughts and never realises when Hyesung steps in.

Somewhere along their journey, the happy-go-lucky Dongwan has disappeared.  The officer no longer keeps a silly grin on his face, nor cook dishes swimming in sesame seeds and oil. But Hyesung was the first to break that trust in their relationship by going out with Eric.

Eric…

Hyesung breathes in deeply. He already makes his choice when he parted with Junjin earlier. There is no point ruminating over what he had with Dongwan. It was a one-sided love anyway.

“I am sorry about the kiss.” Hyesung starts. “I was out of my mind, and shouldn’t have done that.”

“I should be the one apologising.” Dongwan says quietly, clenching his fist hard as his racing heartbeat resonates in his ears. He was the one that kissed Hyesung first.

Why didn’t you tell Hyesung you love him?

He can reply Minwoo with lies. He can repeat the lies to himself. But who will believe him? He loves Hyesung. However, Dongwan dares not walk into another relationship until he can really let go of the other man. But the kiss…it wasn’t for Hyesung. It was for him…

“I am dating Eric.” Hyesung announces. The simple words feel like Hyesung just slashes his heart multiple times. The relationship itself mocks Dongwan. But to hear the confession coming out of Hyesung’s mouth hurts like hell.

“Dongwan…You are a very important friend to me. I don’t want to lose you just because I am going out with Eric.” Hyesung pauses to conjure his words. “He isn’t as bad as you think. The people he killed are all criminals.”

“Really?” The rhetorical question in Dongwan’s icy tone sends a chill down Hyesung’s spine. Are there any innocent men among his boyfriend’s victims? Did he miss out on any information when researching on Eric’s crimes?

“Why do you hate him so much?” It is another mocking statement that rifles the wound in Dongwan’s heart.

“He took away the most important person in my life.” Dongwan replies painfully. He closes his eyes when wetness starts to gather around them. “He is planning to take more.”

***

Hyesung stretches his hand to the other side of the bed, feeling for his boyfriend. But like the many times he awoke in the middle of the night when he stayed over at Eric’s place, the man is not beside him. Hyesung sits up and glances into the living room, like all other times, Eric is dazing by the window with a silver pendulum watch hanging from his hand. Usually Hyesung would return to sleep and pretend he hasn’t seen any of it. But he calls Eric this time. The aristocracy-looking man turns over.

“Hey love. Did I wake you?” Eric swiftly drops the watch into his pocket and returns to the room. He wraps his arms gently around the shorter man and rests his chin on Hyesung’s shoulder.

“Eric…” Hyesung hesitates.

“Yes love?”

It is a dangerous question, but curiosity is part of the journalist’s nature. And this… it is important to him.

“Why did you kill Andy?” Hyesung asks.

Eric let go of him brusquely. “What did you say?”

The pair of eyes that were gentle before suddenly becomes lethal. “Who said I killed Andy?” Eric’s voice is laced with cold rage.

“Dongwan said you took away the most important person in his life... and I assume…” No one knows that Andy was a couple with Junjin, and Andy was the only person Hyesung knows was close to Dongwan that already died.

A tint of pain flashes in Eric’s eyes at Hyesung’s words. He moves and sits at the edge of the bed, shutting his eyes. “Dongwan really said that?” He asks softly, turning to his boyfriend. He exhales in a resign fate when Hyesung nods.

“Andy is my brother.” Eric says quietly, answering Hyesung’s preposterous question. “I have been avenging his death all these years, killing those that took him away from me.” He reconnects his gaze with Hyesung, this time looking at the fine man though the tears in his eyes. He initially takes interest in Hyesung because of his many similar traits to the man Eric once loved, and still love. But Eric has learnt that they are two different people. The man would do anything just to put a smile on Eric’s face, especially his embarrassing and awful dance. But Hyesung, he is shy. Instead of the dance, he would use his angelic voice to summon the smile on Eric’s face.

Eric stands up and plants a long passionate kiss on the familiar pair of lips. He studies Hyesung’s face after pulling away, trying to imprint the man’s features in his mind.

“I love you. I love you Hyesung. I love you for who you are.” Eric finally lowers his gaze. “Go back to Dongwan.” He says unexpectedly.

“Eric?” Hyesung is horrified. Is Eric breaking up with him?

“There is no future for us. I am a serial killer and you are a crime journalist. Go back to the policeman. I know you still love him.”

“I chose you. I love you. I swear to you one day I can forget about him.” Hyesung tries to embrace the other man desperately, but Eric backs away and pushes his hands aside.

“Will you still say that if you know Dongwan loves you?” Eric yells. He takes the chance to push the paralyse Hyesung out of his house.

He hasn’t avenged his dead brother yet. He cannot return to Dongwan his most important person; and he still has to take away the man Dongwan wants to protect. The least he can do is to return Hyesung to him.

Any idea why Eric wanted to see Hyesung's dance so badly even when he knows Hyeusng cannot dance? =P