The Worth of a Brother

Love Him for Me

This story really overruns the original planned number of chapters. Another chapter split into two because it is getting too long. On a side not, I am removing some of the bonus chapters I said earlier because I've infused the gist in the main story. No more Ricdy bonus chapter. I guess how close the brothers are is already clear enough in the main story xD I'll still keep Jindy in my consideration.

The sudden loud bang of the door against the wall is what awoken the injured man. Eric immediately jumps up, poising himself in an attacking stance, at the same time trying to make the injury on his right shoulder less obvious to the intruder. But it turns out to be only Hyesung. A very angry Hyesung.

Eric’s face scrunches up in puzzlement as Hyesung marches over and stands directly facing him, his fists clenched and shaking in rage.

“You told me you were avenging Andy. All your previous victims are members of a crime syndicate. Why is it Junjin this time?!” Hyesung interrogates. He couldn't accept that the last life Eric wants to take is Junjin's.

Eric's own rage builds up. Is that why Hyesung is angry? That he wants to kill Junjin? Is Hyesung going to choose Junjin over him like what Dongwan did five years ago? Junjin is not even related to them, but Andy is his brother! Why do they want to shield the man that cause Andy's death? Why can’t they understand his pain?

Eric will not risk his life and break into the police headquarters without a reason. Everything he did for the past five years was for a reason; to avenge Andy. He wants to know Junjin’s whereabouts. He wants to talk to the man before taking his life. He wants to know why Junjin hated his brother.

The killer tries to hold back the tears that threaten to flow. “Why are you and Dongwan protecting this man that have no relation to you?!” He swings his arms in frustration to the nearest thing from him other than Hyesung. The metal tray containing the knife and other medical items falls to the ground, scattering its content around the two men.  Eric's carefully stitched up wound also breaks open and blood flows out, tainting his bandage red again.

“Because I know what kind of person Junjin is!" Hyesung snorts. "I was so naïve to try to convince Dongwan that everyone you killed deserve it. I don’t know who you took from him before, but now I know he has every rights and reasons to hate you. Junjin is his brother. His REAL BLOOD RELATED brother.”

Eric freezes at Hyesung’s word. Junjin…Junjin is Dongwan’s brother? The day he broke up with Dongwan and left his friends materialised in front of him.

The dorm mates stood silently behind Eric while he scattered Andy’s ash. He watched as the wind danced with Andy. He watched as Andy slowly settled down, fitting himself with the pure white sand that they used to run on.

His heart was breaking into pieces, disintegrating into dust. Andy was his angel that kept him going since his parents' death. Andy was his only family. Eric turns around; Junjin was behind him with teary face. Eric found the man crying mocking. Andy died because of him. Yet Junjin had never acknowledged Andy ever since the brothers joined the dorm. What use does Junjin's tears have when he had mistreated the man when he was alive? In his rage, Eric stepped forward and held Junjin by his collar.

“Eric!” Dongwan held his hand, eyes pleading.

“The man was aiming at Jin. It shouldn't be Andy!" Eric turned back to the youngest among them. "You treated Andy like a piece of trash since we joined the dorm! YOU DO NOT DESERVE HIM GIVING HIS LIFE TO SAVE YOU!

Junjin remained silent, the tears continued to roll down his face.

"Eric..." Minwoo sighed. He raise his hand to wipe away the tears at the corner of his eyes. "You know Andy. He will give his life to save anyone of us. Jin also didn't want this to happen."

What Minwoo said about Andy is true. Eric slowly let go of Junjin and swallowed.

“The syndicate…” Eric said after a while.  “I’ll hunt them down. I’ll torture each one of them that stole Andy from me and make them pay.” He turned to Dongwan and grabbed his lover’s hand. “Dongwan, leave with me. Both of us can take down the entire organisation. We can avenge Andy.”

“Eric, don't be like this.” Dongwan cried. “Andy will not want you to be like this.”

“THIS IS NOT ABOUT WHAT ANDY WANTS! HE IS GONE!  HE LEFT ME! THIS IS WHAT I WANT!” Eric shouted. He looked directly into Dongwan’s eyes, searching for a hint that the man is prepared to avenge Andy with him. “Leave with me.”

“Eric...please. I beg you...

A thought suddenly struck Eric. "Is it because of him?" He pointed to Junjin, his eyes continue staring into Dongwan's. "Is it because of him that you refuse to leave with me? Why are you doing so much for a random someone like he is your brother?  My real brother died because of him!"

The hurt in Dongwan’s expression intensified. "Eric...he is Junjin...he grew up with us." Dongwan’s voice quivered. But Eric's heart had hardened. It didn't matter that Junjin was once his friend and dormmate. Andy died because of him. If no one will avenge Andy, he will do it himself.

Eric turned and walked away from the three men. "I'll avenge Andy. I'll take any life that is responsible for his death," he mumbled to himself before turning back one last time to face the man he loves. "Kim Dongwan. You chose him over me today. We are over the moment you decide to betray Andy's trust (Andy was the one that pushed for Eric to confess to Dongwan). I'll leave Jin for the last. He doesn't deserve Andy to die for him."

“Why didn’t he tell me?” Eric says in a daze. He knows clearer than anyone the pain of losing a family member, yet all these years, he had been trying to put Dongwan through the same pain he had suffered. Eric plunges down suddenly and cries out loud. “He never betrays me. He never…”

The distraught man stands up abruptly and grips Hyesung’s arm. “There is only one way this can end.” He forcefully hauls Hyesung into one of the storage room and throws him inside, locking the door shut.

“What are you doing?! Let me go!” Hyesung bangs at the door. Eric is perceptibly out of his mind. The journalist reaches for his phone to contact Dongwan, only to realise that it was no longer in his pocket. Eric has confiscated it when he pulls Hyesung over to the room.

“Dongwan, I’m sorry. I should have listened to you.”

Explanation to my messy story xD

1) Why Ricwan called each other hypocrite in Chapter 3 is related to this chapter. Eric thought Dongwan should avenge Andy while Dongwan thinks Eric is doing something Andy wouldn't want to see.

2) As Junjin told Hyesung in Chapter 8, during their dorm days he was awkward with Andy because he secretly love the man. Eric, Dongwan and Minwoo thought he dislike Andy. So Eric was living with the impression that Andy died for someone that hated Andy, not knowing that the 2 were actually dating. 

3) Why Junjin didn't tell the hyungs that grow up with him about Andy but confessed to Hyesung: It's supposed to be Eric's recollection of the past so I can't focus on Junjin's feeling. The hyungs didn't know the real reason behind his tears and thought it was gratitute and guilt that Andy gave his life to save Junjin. Junjin practically lost his chance of telling Ricwanmin about his relationship with Andy when Andy died.

Lots of angst. Even my Eric is going semi crazy finding out the partial truth. I promise you the ending to this will be soon and I'll go back to Soulmate!!! <3 Like Eric said, there's only one way to end this xD Huge hint to the final otp in the story.