The Criminal named Eric Mun

Love Him for Me

Hyesung holds his breath to hear better his surroundings. It seems his kidnapper has left him alone. The man mentally reproaches himself for being careless, but he has expected such a day ever since he started his career. He is a crime journalist. One who tracks the most dangerous criminals and spins tales about them. The police hate him as much as the criminals do, for he was always hindering their work. Hyesung even make a request for an officer to protect him under the personal protection act, much to the annoyance of the police force. The man laughs at his own attainment of being hated by both the law enforcers and the law breakers.

But there was this one attractive officer that seems to be able to stand Hyesung – Kim Dongwan. Kim Dongwan was the lastest policeman sent to keep him safe, the only who would really befriend him. He thought apologetically if Dongwan will be demoted if he got killed. He once overheard Minwoo and Junjin talked about the man being demoted once before. Dongwan used to be in the special crime unit with the other two officers (Junjin and Minwoo).

“Will you continue to shout out my name at the summit of every mountain you climb if I die now?”

“He shouts your name?” An amused voice asks. Hyesung shudders, realising that he is not alone all these while. He hears a humourless laugh as the man removes his blindfold. An icy cold travels down Hyesung’s spine at the exposure of his kidnapper’s identity.

Eric Mun.

“Don’t be scared. I’ve read your work about me and I pretty much love all of them.” Eric paces to the chair facing him and sat down deliberately. The criminal criss-crossed his fingers and levels them around the height of his chin. “I am not one of those criminals offended by your work.”

“What do you want?” Hyesung asks indignantly. He is not fond of mind games.

“I just want to know more about you.” Eric laughs. He pulls out a piece of paper and unfolds it in precise movement. Maybe a trait of snipers, Hyesung thought, unwillingly recalling some of Eric’s luckier victims who weren’t tortured. If he had managed to find more evidences of the man’s crime, the man in front would be behind bars now.

“27 November 1979.” Eric read out his birthday. A glimpse of sadness flashes in Eric’s eyes before they become cold again. “You can’t dance.” The killer commented.

“Does that concern you?” Hyesung spits out.

“But you can sing.” Eric continues, as if Hyesung had not interrupted him. “And from my records, you are persistently naggy.” The man snorts, thinking about the number of law enforcers that was harassed by the writer in order to complete his stories. Eric stands up suddenly and walks towards the window, staring at something Hyesung could not see from his position.

“One more…” Eric says with a distant voice. “One more person has to die for this to end.” He turns around to Hyesung. “I want you to write more about me. To keep me in his mind.”

***

The ajusshi, with hands full of groceries, struggles to answer his phone. “Why do you love to call at inconvenient time?” He grumbles to his best friend’s face flashing on the screen.

“Minwoo-ah” He greeted chirpily after finally managing to answer the phone.

“Dongwan, where are you?! We’ve lost Hyesung!”

The many bags he is carrying fall onto the floor and the content escapes and decorates the ground.

“Where did you lose him?” He blares at his friend, at the same time his leg taking him to Hyesung’s apartment with the fastest speed possible.

The beautifully carved timber door bangs pitifully into the wall behind. Dongwan barges in to the house of the man who trusts him enough with the key. He no longer looks like an ajusshi who goes to the market. His piercing gaze scans the surrounding and a layer of sweat glisten on his muscular build. There is no sign Hyesung is at home.

“Hyesung…”Panic starts to rise in the man. If there is anything Hyesung lacks, criminals that hate him is certainly not one of them.

Dongwan turns to exit the house, but collides with the owner instead. “Syung! Where have you been?”

Hyesung shakes his head tiredly. “Somewhere.” He pushes pass Dongwan and rest himself on the couch. According to Eric, he has one last target in mind.