Substitute

Love Him for Me

I am sorry for skipping the courtship between Ricsyung in the last chapter. But you get it, two months of Eric appearing in the cafe and being sweet. Most probably this will be more than 11 chapters because I am breaking them up into smaller ones xD

“Earth to Shin Hyesung, Earth to Shin Hyesung…” Eric teases the pretty man sitting across him when he catches his boyfriend in a daze. “What is in your mind? You are rarely in a daze.” He asks the journalist, stretching his hand across the table to hold Hyesung’s hand in his.

Hyesung raises his head apologetically to Eric. He was thinking about Dongwan. The officer never returned home the day before, and Hyesung’s call kept reaching the voice mail.

“Nevermind, don’t tell me. I don’t want to know.” Eric says quickly at Hyesung’s guilt-ridden expression. “Let’s talk about us. When are you going to show me a dance?”

“Why do you keep wanting to see me dance?!” Hyesung asks irritated.

“It will be cuteeee! Pretty please Hyesungieeeee. Tonight? Tomorrow night?” Eric pleads. Hyesung is surprised by how this serial killer can make such innocent puppy eyes. But there is no way in hell he is going to dance for Eric. Hyesung stands up and walks out of the café unexpectedly, leaving the wounded Eric frozen in place.

Eric’s phone rings immediately after. Eric quickly answers it when Hyesung’s name flashes across the screen.

“Hi love, don’t be angry ok?”

An angelic song sounded from the other end of the line. Eric holds his breath at the beautiful voice, right until when the song ends.

“Eric?”

“Hyesungie…your voice…it’s beautiful.”

Heat rushes up to Hyesung’s face at the compliment. He loves singing, but he never really has the confidence to sing to anyone. Nonetheless, he is contented with Eric as his only audience.

He thought he accepted Eric because he was lonely; now he realises it is because he had long fallen for the man.

***

“I don’t want Andy to die for nothing!” Hyesung hears Dongwan’s angry growl when he unlocks the door to his house. Dongwan hangs up angrily before turning to the door, or rather, to Hyesung who just steps in.

To much of his relief, Hyesung now knows that Dongwan is safe, yet he is ashamed to face him this moment. Hyesung turns his head away when the tears roll out of his eyes due to the many emotions that surface at the sight of Dongwan. He still loves the man deeply, even when he already has Eric.

“Have you been meeting him?” Dongwan asks disconsolately. He exhales slowly as his gaze meets the floor. “Were you with Eric?” The man advances towards Hyesung, stopping right in front of him, only a few inches gap between them. Dongwan looks up painfully at the tear-stained face, his nose whiffs in the traces of Eric Mun on Hyesung.

“Dongwan…”Hyesung croaks. Before he can make his apology, he felt a pair of lips gently kissing away his tears. The lips gradually move over to the frozen man’s lips. Hyesung’s heart beats furiously in contrast to his unmoving body. The kiss started soft, slowly becoming more passionate.

Hyesung’s mind is clouded when he returns the passion in the kiss; when he firmly pulls Dongwan towards him; when he gives in to all his bottled feelings for the man.

As if a switch clicks in his brain, Dongwan suddenly pulls back, his face full of horror as he looks at Hyesung.

“Dongwan?” Hyesung is suddenly frightened by the man’s expression. He is afraid he will lose Dongwan. Maybe he already did. Dongwan pushes him away, escaping to his room and bolting the door shut.

He kissed Hyesung, but in his mind he wasn’t kissing Hyesung. It scares Dongwan what he just did; what he never wants to do.

The man gulps down his saliva and shuts his eyes. He can hear Hyesung’s worrying voice asking if he is alright, and the gentle knocks on his door, but Dongwan cannot face the man. Not after he uses Hyesung as a substitute.

***

Hyesung strolls down the street unaccompanied, his mind cluttered. Guilt, worry, hurt, confusion…The feelings are never ending. He is so consumed in his misery he never notices someone coming out of the shop in front of him. The two of them collide into each other.

“I am so sorry.” A familiar voice apologises frantically. It is Junjin, one of Dongwan’s buddies.

“Junjin-ssi, it’s me.”

The usually charming officer recovers from his bow. Hyesung notes that Junjin looks unusually tired. “Hyesung hyung.” Junjin greets him with a weak smile. Hyesung never really had a friendly chat with any police officer other than Dongwan, since he knows the general impression the police force has of him, but now he just wants someone to talk to.

“How are you?” Hyesung asks.

“I’m good…” Junjin takes a deep breath, as if he is hesitating he next line. “How is Dongwan hyung?”

“He…” The unexpected question plays back the memories of Hyesung kissing the man, and Dongwan’s horrified expression in his mind.

“Not too good?” Junjin makes a sound like a combination of a humourless laugh and a resign sigh when Hyesung never answers. “I should have expected him to be angry with me.”

Hyesung suddenly recalls what Dongwan said over the phone before their kiss.

“Were you chatting with him over the phone just now?” After seeing Junjin nods, the older man probes, “who is Andy?”

Hyesung is taken back when the rim of Junjin’s eyes turns red.

As mentioned in my foreword, I am trying out something new and I realise although I can update faster, this style is causing a lot of confusion. That is why I have also been a lot more generous with spoilers as compared to the rest of my stories! =P

Ask me anything in the comments! Though there are some spoilers that I really cannot give yet (e.g. ricwandy) *wink wink* Explanations will start in the next chapter!