Choosing the Candle Flame

Love Him for Me

If the last part you read was:

1) Dongwan's horrified expression, go back to Chapter 6 and read the bottom part

2) Junjin's meeting with Hyesung, go back to Chapter 7

3) Eric talking to Andy, you are at the right Chapter now!!! :)

“You know, I’ve never seen you happy ever since Andy’s anniversary.” Minwoo tells his friend during dinner. Dongwan breaks his movement as his hand hovers over the piece of meat on the barbeque stove. Minwoo patiently waits for a reaction.

“How is that any different from these 5 years?” Dongwan finally answers, fishing up the piece of slightly too cooked meat and shoving it into his mouth. The incident five years ago has cost him too much.

“The difference is you tried to give yourself a chance,” Minwoo folds his arms and leans forward. “You stop trying.” Dongwan remains silent. Minwoo is the psychology expert in the special crime unit. He knows how to read his suspects and friends alike. There is no chance Minwoo will not pick up his change after the unscheduled meeting with Eric.

“Why didn’t you tell Hyesung you love him?”

“I don’t.” Dongwan reply curtly.

“Really?” Minwoo deliberately dips his chopsticks into the saucer filled with sesame oil. The journalist is not used to love and concern. He is a moth constantly looking for flower, and he will fly to anything that resembles a flower, even if it is a candle flame that can burn him into nothingness. That candle, is Eric. Although Dongwan hasn’t told, it is written all over his face that Eric has acted on his threat about claiming Hyesung. And it is not too difficult for Minwoo to predict the journalist’s answer.

“You cannot hold on to a past relationship forever.”

“Then why don’t you start dating me?” Dongwan jokes in an attempt to change the topic.

“You know I don’t swing that way.” Minwoo accepts Dongwan’s attempt. He has already made his point. There is no need to push the man further.

***

Hyesung stands in the queue, waiting to order his favourite cup of latte. He hasn’t realised he haven’t done this usual routine ever since Eric became part of his life. Before they became friends, Eric would always order the drink and wait at Hyesung’s usual table, despite the man’s blatant annoyance at him. After they started talking, Eric takes on the role of getting him lunch too so Hyesung can work without disruption. The sweet images of Eric waiting at the bus stop with an umbrella and Hyesung’s hot cup of latte during the rainy days surface in his mind, making a smile appears on the man’s face.

Today, he is back to his old routine because he is meeting someone else.

“Hyesung hyung.” Junjin enters the café.

“Jin-ah,” The man greets cheerfully. “Do you want anything?” Junjin shakes his head. After getting Hyesung’s latte, the two men set off to visit Andy. Junjin had asked Hyesung to accompany him.

Hyesung is surprised when Junjin parks his car. They are at the beach Eric confessed to him instead of a cemetery where he expected to visit. Junjin sees his expression and says while getting out of the car, “Andy’s ash is scattered here. This is his favourite place.”

“Andy-yah, I brought a friend to see you,” Junjin shouts to the sea.

The two walk silently along the beach, occasionally stopping when Junjin pauses to stares at random spots. Hyesung guesses he is reminiscing and never interrupts the younger one.

“How is Andy like?” Hyesung finally asks when they are chilling under a tree.

“He is the jovial and kind one.” Junjin replies, staring into the horizon. “He treats everyone really well, but I used to be awkward with him…” Hyesung can see tears forming in Junjin’s eyes as the young man recalls.

“I like him, more than a brother.” Junjin confesses. “I love Andy and I am scared of it. The hyungs thought I hated him.” Junjin finally let this secret out of his chest. He doesn’t know how to tell this to his other hyungs who grow up with Andy and him. Hyesung wraps his arms around the younger man, comforting him.

“I finally got the courage to confess to him…” Junjin sniffs.

“That’s good.” Hyesung pats his back, but the younger one shakes his head.

“If I didn’t, he might not have died.”Hyesung can feel painful throbbing in his heart as Junjin continues his sad story, “We wanted to let the hyungs know our relationship, but there was a sudden operation that required our squad…and he died in that mission.” The man is shuddering lightly in Hyesung’s embrace as he let himself live through the painful memories once again. “We didn’t have a chance to tell the hyungs.”

Andy is gone. Before Hyesung, no one knows about the relationship. No one knows he once belongs to Junjin. And every year during Andy’s death anniversary, they’d visit the beach, not knowing how much more painful it is for Junjin.

Hyesung silently walks along the street leading home after parting with Junjin. The younger man’s story keeps replaying in his mind. It pains him to see Junjin drowning in pain. Hyesung sighs and his mind drifts to Eric. Will Eric be like Andy? Will he disappear suddenly? Hyesung has traced all of Eric’s victims to criminals relating to a particular syndicate. What Eric is doing is dangerous. He never knows what is going to happening to his criminal boyfriend. Will he be apprehended? Will he get killed by the people seeking revenge? No matter what, Hyesung doesn’t want to regret like Junjin.

Dongwan is the first man that smiles sincerely at him in a very long time. He is the first man to touch Hyesung’s heart.

But his boyfriend is Eric now.

Wandy, Ricdy or Jindy? Lol, no matter if the first 2 happend, you now know Andy dated Junjin before he died.

And Minwoo is never wrong! Dongwan does like Hyesung in the story. But he can't get pass his past relationship to accept the fact. So for the moment, Hyesung belongs to Eric!!! 

It's more than half way through the story (bonus chapters included). This is like my fastest fic!!!