Prequel - Confession

Love Him for Me

Throwing more chapters out. i'll proof-read next time~~Brain is kinda not working now. =)  Sorry for all the choppy prequel. Hopefully by the last chapter I'll get back the feels of writing for my new fic.

 

His stomach was in knots. His heart was clenching with tightness and his limbs felt unnaturally weak. But Eric’s state of mind was of a different degree of nervous wreak. He had never felt more lightheaded in his life up till this moment.


It had been hours since they returned to the dorm, but Eric had not quite escape from the enchanted day event. It was so beautiful and so surreal.


The pleasant memory repeated itself in his mind. 


The wavy black hair of the man tousled just above his sparkling eyes as Dongwan raised his hand to pass Eric the microphone.


The deep voice that told him Dongwan had picked a song for them on his own accord.


The presence of the man he was enthralled by jamming to his rap beside him. 


And the mesmerising smile as Dongwan raised his own microphone when Eric’s rap was nearing the end.


With his eyes on Dongwan's smiling face, Eric finished the last verse, “I just need to see your happy image, your smile, My love was like a fire.” [LIAR'S LYRICS FOR ERIC'S RAP]


And Dongwan's beautiful voice sounded once again when he continued with the song.


It wasn’t even a love song. But it was enough to make Eric's mind wild with the fallacy that his wish already came true.


He didn't think he could sleep that night.


Eric shut his eyes when he heard the sound of the twisting doorknob. It was a night he wanted no companion to intrude his “bubble”.


Andy patted the towel on his head, drying his wet hair. A gentle smile crept onto his face as his eyes landed on his brother who was faking sleep. Silently, Andy hanged his towel and exited the room. 


Junjin was on the couch, his eyes fixedly on the television. Andy strode over and sat down beside him, making sure there was enough space between them to not be obtrusive; or maybe not too obtrusive since he had always been a distasteful presence to Junjin. Despite the distance he consciously placed between them, Junjin still visibly stiffened.


“What are you watching?” Andy spoke casually, focusing on the television. From the corner of his eyes he saw Junjin swallowing. He thought the man would ignore him again, but after a few heartbeats, Junjin actually replied with the movie name.


Andy smiled dimly. He would have continued asking about the movie, but because it was Junjin, he decided not to push his luck further. Undue haste can only worsen their already-not-too-good relationship. Andy sat quietly  beside Junjin, both of them watching the show and not exchanging another word. Dongwan soon joined them after he came out from the showers.


“Where's your brother?” Dongwan asked while wiping his hair.


“He's fallen asleep.” Andy lied for Eric. Deep inside he was really laughing at the irony that Eric most probably wouldn't be able to get a wink, and all due to the man that was asking about him.


“Hmmm...” Dongwan's eyes slid to the closed door of Eric's room. 


***
“All ready to go up and flash your signature smile again?” Junjin nudged Dongwan who was already holding to 3 awards in his hands. 


It was the first day of the semester. Traditionally for the police academy, this day was the prize presentation day for students who excelled in their previous semester. As usual, the top cadet for each cohort would also be revealed.


“It might not be me,” Dongwan replied casually while clapping for the freshman who just went up the stage. He sensed Junjin's sudden astonishment and turned his head to the man. “3 awards,” he raised his hand, flashing the 3 envelopes he was holding, each representing him coming in first for a particular subject.


Junjin's lips parted slightly in mild realisation. Each semester students were packed with 6 subjects. Dongwan had always bagged in at least 4 “first” since Eric joined 3 semesters ago. Before that, Dongwan was used to getting full house on prize presentation day. This was the first time Dongwan had a tie, both him and Eric shared the same number of “first”, and it is down to their aggregate score to determine who will be the top cadet......


“And the top cadet for the 4th year,” the teacher paused and rechecked the list once more, looking doubtful. Finally, with an uncertain stutter, she announced – 


“E...Eric Mun.”


It was a familiar name during prize presentation, but definitely not for this award. 


A very brief but palpable silence descended in the hall before Dongwan broke everyone's trance by clapping. Eric’s fans were fast to come to their senses hearing the sound and they started cheering. But the outlandish atmosphere was far from over.


Eric was frozen among the awardees, unable to believe his ears.


Had he really done it? Had he finally proved himself worthy for Dongwan after 3 crazy semesters?


One of the teacher nearer to him pulled Eric out of the crowd with a smiling face and ushered him to the edge of the stage.


At another corner where the awardees were gathered, Dongwan ignored the many pairs of eyes around him that were trying to read him or trying to find the slightest trace of unhappiness in him. He continued clapping for Eric with the widest smile. No one would be able to find that trace they are looking for on his face, because there was honestly none of such feelings in Dongwan. He did his best, and he was ecstatic that Eric won him fair and square.


Dongwan did not know when he began to realise Eric's feelings for him. It could be one of those moments he caught Eric's gaze on him, at times piercing and at times gentle. It could also be one of those times when Eric got all angry or moody because of fans that stalked Dongwan. Or maybe it was those moments Eric blushed or smiled shyly when he did something Dongwan was not supposed to witness.


Dongwan did not know exactly when, but he just found out. And his heart started to reciprocate that feeling towards Eric along the way. The man brought him a comfort that none others could.


Yet they were still living in an “arch enemies" facade Eric and the school built for them.


Dongwan hopped up and went to the side of the stage when Eric was almost done. “Congratulations!” Dongwan extended his hand to the man who loves him.


Eric looked vacantly at Dongwan's outstretched hand. But beneath his stolid expression, his heart was bungee jumping, plunging and recoiling non-stop.


He shook Dongwan's hand only for a brief second, afraid that Dongwan would feel the pattern of his heart through his palm.


“Thanks,” Eric muttered softly.


***
Andy twisted the door knob and strode into the room, depositing his bag beside the desk. He glanced at Eric who was beside the desk. His brother was trapped in his own world, his gaze fixedly on his open palm. Andy turned and spotted Eric's top cadet certificate on the desk. He glanced back thoughtfully at his brother.


“Dongwan hyung congratulated you and shook your hand?” Andy guessed. 


Eric snapped out of his trance instantaneously, suddenly aware of Andy’s presence.


“Yes...he...he shook....” Eric stuttered. 


“You love him.” Andy cut in.


Eric's heart missed a beat. Did he hear Andy correctly? “How...how did you find out?” He croaked.


“I am your brother. Your feelings are the most obvious thing to me next to the sun,” Andy replied matter-of-factly.


Eric lowered his head in guilt. “Sorry Andy...”


“What for?” Andy retorted as if Eric just said the most ridiculous thing. Because Eric DID just say the most ridiculous thing. “Hyung,” Andy inhaled deeply. “Your life is not solely for me. And I am happiest when you are happy too.”


Eric looked at his brother, unsure of what to make out of the situation. Andy always saw right through him. It was true his life was solely for Andy before he came to the dorm. And then a man by the name of Kim Dongwan appeared.


“Why not let him know that too?” Andy asked.


“I...” Eric's voice trailed off.


Why not?


Because he did not know how.


He worked so hard to prove he was worthy of Dongwan, but now he was also desperately stuck in this “arch enemy/rival" loop. How does he let the man know instead of competing with each other, what he really wanted was to just to spend happy times with him?


“You and Dongwan hyung only have 3 more semesters to graduation. Hyung, are you willing to let him go like that, after all you had done?”


Eric let his eyes settled on Andy's again. He found nothing but encouragement in them.


“Hyung...” the corner of Andy's lips curled up affirmatively. “If you really love him. Go for it.” Andy squeezed Eric's arms. “Stop hesitating and just go for it. Dongwan hyung is someone I'll trust my brother with.”


Eric finally managed to let out a shy smile, and Andy took it as a green light for him. He walked to the cord phone in the living room and dialled Dongwan's number.


“Dongwan hyung, where are you now?”


“I'm at the beach with Jinnie. Why? Anything urgent?” Dongwan asked.


Andy smiled, “Stay there. We're going over.”


“Speaking of the devil,” Dongwan hanged up and smiled at Junjin. 


“Eric hyung is coming over?” Junjin asked.


Dongwan nodded. “With Andy,” he replied. Junjin tensed up.


“Jin-ah, why you never talk to Andy?”


“I don't know...I just...” Junjin paused. He just didn't want Andy to find out and hate him.


Dongwan raised his eyebrow at Junjin. “I've known you since you were 7. You are not the kind to dislike someone. Why Andy?”


Junjin sighed.  “I don't really want to talk about him. How about you, hyung? Are you really feeling okay?”


Dongwan laughed, “I've told you a zillion times, Jin. I am happy for Eric. Truly happy for him. Since I first sparred with him I already knew this will happen one day. It makes life interesting too, isn't it?”


Junjin still eyed him cautiously. Dongwan only smiled. Junjin had spent the effort to drag him out after school just to checked on his emotions. He really did appreciate Junjin's concern for him. Because to Dongwan, Junjin is someone more than a friend. 


“Thanks Jin-ah.”

Despite Eric's and Andy's plight, somewhere deep within Dongwan was envy for the brothers. Because he too have a brother. But he could not acknowledged him. To his brother,  he was just a really good friend. It was a secret he would bring to his grave if he could. For Junjin's sake.


Dongwan let his thoughts returned to Andy's call. 


Eric was looking for him.....


The face of his handsome “arch rival" take form in his mind as Dongwan's lips curled up into a mystery smile.


Was it finally happening? Because Eric got over his own barrier of needing to prove himself? Was Eric finally going to spill the truth to him?


Dongwan leaned back and observed the beautiful sunset. “Don't worry so much, Jin. You will grow old very soon if you continue,” he joked.


Not too long later, the sound of shuffling footsteps approached. Dongwan turned his head and saw Andy practical dragging the very hesitant Eric behind him. 


“Dongwan hyung! Jin!” Andy greeted chirpily.


Dongwan returned the greeting with equal enthusiasm. Eric blushed immediately and mumbled Junjin's and Dongwan's names softly. 


Amidst the greetings, Junjin was thinking hard how he could get away from Andy. “Eric hyung,” Junjin managed and stopped at that, not acknowledging Andy's presence. Andy did not seemed to mind so much.


“Dongwan hyung, my hyung has something he wants to tell you.” Andy happily pushed the helpless Eric over and gripped Junjin's hand, pulling him over. “Let's go Jin, they need some privacy.”


The unexpected sensation of Andy’s grip on him electrocuted his brain. Junjin was too petrified to react. Before he came to his senses, Andy had already pulled him a good 100 meters away. He turned back to see the figures of the two hyungs. Why did it look like an awkward confession?


“My brother has liked Dongwan hyung for something now.”


Junjin felt his jaw drop literally.


Eric hyung...was he really confessing to Dongwan hyung?!!!!!!


A burning question made him turned to face Andy.


“You...you are okay with it? You do not find it disgusting?”


Andy furrowed his brows. Disgust is the last feeling he will ever feel towards Eric or such a situation.


“Jin-ah...nobody is disgusting because of what they love. People are only disgusting because of hatred.”