Prequel - When the heart changed

Love Him for Me

No proof read so please bear with any horrid writings below =X I don't want to wait another month to get this out.

His two years of respite for his friendship with Junjin flew by. In the blink of an eye, it was Andy’s graduation day.

A broad smile hung on Eric’s handsome face as he arranged the collar of Andy’s uniform, like a father filled with pride. Eric took a step back and inspected his brother. The approving nod of his head came naturally with his subconscious.

“You look PERFECT!”

The younger brother smiled as he recalled a piece of memory in the orphanage. You look PERFECT. The exact words Eric said when he tried to get Andy another family. They had come a long way since. Now he really had a new family, without the need of losing his brother.

Andy turned when he heard Dongwan coming out of the room. The buff man had Andy’s luggage draped over his broad shoulders, just like how he appeared the first day the brothers joined the dorm. Dongwan beamed when his eyes caught Andy’s on him.

“I’ll put the things in the car. Both of you get ready soon!” the man tasked to be the driver and the mover (Andy was also moving into their apartment) said to the brothers. Eric quickly answered his boyfriend and did some last touch up to Andy’s look before the brothers followed Dongwan to the door.

Andy paused when his leg hovered over the invisible line separating the dorm from the outside world, his heart overwhelmed with nostalgia. He turned, taking one last glance at the place where his and Eric’s lives change 5 years ago. They were no longer orphans.

“Minwoo sends his apology,” Dongwan told Andy in the car. “It’s his girlfriend’s birthday today.”

Andy nodded with a mechanical smile. Dongwan’s words forced him to acknowledge the void in his heart he had been trying to disregard since waking up. It wasn’t Minwoo’s absence that caused the void. It was Junjun’s. And Andy was fully aware he had no good reasons to be feeling this way. Junjin had already come 2 days ago to celebrate with him. And he knew their friendship was supposed to be hidden from the older ones. Yet, the inexplicable disappointment still conquered him. Andy leaned back into his seat, watching the ever-changing scenery outside of the car as Eric’s and Dongwan’s excited chatter played non-stop in the background.

Everything that happened during the ceremony became mechanical because of Andy’s ludicrous disappointment. Andy stood right at the front, leading the oath as the valedictorian after the graduating cadets received their symbol of rank. But oblivious to him, hidden in the audience and smiling proudly, was Junjin.

Junjin woke up and left house earlier than anyone because he could not take the car with Eric and Donwan hyung. He did not even let Andy know he would be coming because he thought it might give hint to his feelings for the man. He had already congratulated the new valedictorian and celebrated with him 2 days back, but he still had to come. Because this day was a milestone of Andy’s life, and Junjin didn’t want to miss it.

As the ceremony moved towards a closing, Junjin quickly took the chance to leave silently, leveraging on the crowd that gathered around Eric and Dongwan so as not be noticed. He smiled at how the popularity of his two flat mates never seemed to fade ever after they had already left the academy for 2 years.

The sky turned from a romantic orange tint with pink into a dull greyish blue as the bus slowly crawled into the city. The mental keys strung together in a keyring clanged noisily as Junjin unlocked the door of the rented apartment. A smile spread across his face spontaneously when he saw Andy in the living room, but he noticed the unfamiliar vibe from the younger man almost immediately.

“Jin, you are back!” Dongwan came out of the kitchen before Junjin got his chance to ask Andy what was wrong. Eric followed shortly with dinner the couple prepared for everyone. Junjin sighed mentally, turning over to greet his hyung and pretending to take no notice of Andy. He could feel Andy’s eyes on him as he made his way to his room. It was uncomfortable, but he persisted with his acting that they weren’t friends.

The couple were the only ones that truly enjoyed dinner that night. An overbearing ominous cloud loomed over Junjin as he discreetly studied Andy who was lost in his own thoughts. The man just graduated as valedictorian and returned to his brother’s side after 2 years. How Andy was acting did not click with the facts Junjin knew. Yet he dared not asked the younger man anything in front of the hyung.

***3 years later***

The live band started singing another jazz song when Eric toasted Junjin, congratulating the younger man whose application to the special crime unit was finally approved.

“Thanks Eric hyung,” Junjin said, bringing his glass of beer to his mouth. He finally made it! And now he only had to wait for Andy to also join the unit. The last 3 years was horrid. He couldn’t talk to Andy in front of the hyung, and Andy was constantly caught up with things when Junjin tried to get them alone, to the point he sometimes suspected Andy was escaping him. But he always dropped that ludicrous thought because whenever he did get hold of Andy, the man was so natural with him.

“Andy, you will also be applying to our unit, right?” Dongwan asked. Andy puckered his brows lightly, unable to give an immediate answer. Thankfully, Minwoo interrupted, covering for Andy’s offbeat pause.

“All of you are going over? What about me? Don’t leave me alone!”

Andy was no longer following the flow at their table when everyone reacted to Minwoo. He lowered his eyes as his mind drifted into thoughts again. It was once a very clear path for him to join the special crime unit. Eric was there. But this path blurred when Junjin applied to and was accepted into the unit. Somewhere along their 2 years of respite, Andy no longer saw Junjin as just a friend. He only established this feeling when he was deciphering the inexplicable disappointment he felt on his graduation day, and the answer he got confused and scared him, very much.

Andy raised his eyes again after another soft sigh. The rest were now trying to convince Minwoo to join the Special Crime Unit so that the five friends can be together. Pursing his lips, Andy wondered – if not the Special Crime Unit, where he should go. He stood up and excused himself to the washroom.

Junjin perfunctorily bottomed up his beer as his eyes followed Andy who was disappearing into the crowd. He placed his empty glass on the table and sheepishly excused himself shortly after, pretending to take a call. When the younger one exited the washroom, Junjin strode forward and grabbed Andy’s arm, pulling him to a corner.

“Jin?” Andy exclaimed, startled by the sudden yank. Instinctively, he turned to the direction of their table, making sure none of the hyung saw them, “What are you doing? The hyung are around!”

Junjin stopped when they reached somewhere far enough. “You are not planning to join the Special Crime Unit, am I right?” Junjin asked urgently.

Andy became stupefied. He let out the breath he was holding after a while. Junjin saw him hesitating to Dongwan’s question.

“Maybe…” he gave an inadequate answer. Years ago he was the one that told Junjin with so much conviction he wanted to be in the Special Crime Unit. Years ago, he was willing to fight tooth and nail to get in there. But now it was just a mockery. He could not bear to face Junjin every single day if he was going to be so insecure about himself, about his feelings towards the man in front of him.

“Are you avoiding me?” Junjin asked gingerly. And the innocent words hit Andy like a tsunami. He did not want it to be obvious.

“Jin…” Andy could hear his own pounding heart resonating in his ears. He wanted to explain, but he couldn’t. He was so rational when he saw Eric loving Dongwan, but now he realised he had been too chic about it. Loving a man was nothing simple. It was more than just worrying if the love will be reciprocated. How his brother managed, he did not know.

But a distinct difference between the brothers’ situations was Eric would lose Dongwan if he did nothing, but Andy on the other hand, might lose Junjin if he did something.

Junjin smiled sadly, knowing he hit bull-eyes. So his suspicion was true. He clenched his teeth, trying to abate the pain in his heart. It did not help much, but he could not let Andy see it. He did not need Andy to feel sorry or explain anything to him. He had no rights because he did the same to Andy before, and with magnified intensity and even hostility.

“I can cancel my application if you want me to,” Junjin forced himself to say. There was no point for him to be in the Special Crime Unit if Andy wasn’t there. Eric was only an excuse he came up with since he knew Andy will go wherever Eric was at. He looked up and held Andy’s gaze. At the very least, he wanted to tell Andy his reason for applying to the unit.

“But I joined the Special Crime Unit for you.”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I know I am really late for this >.< It should have been out 2 months back, but I was rushing work so I can go to Andy's FM, and I got a little lazy after returning xD Hope you like Andy's change of heart =)) I don't know why I am making things difficult for myself. The prequel wasn't even planned as a full story but choppy flashbacks to explain the original story. But somehow Junjin and Andy's story took a life of their own. And at some point I can't resist ricwan's past, which make everything so messy again since there wasn't a clear focus. But oh well... I still wanna do Jindy and Ricwan together. So bear with me and this overrun prequel...Targeting 11 chapters I said...and now it is already at 12 chapters and growing =X Bear with me...