Adventures In Babysitting

Of True Love And Inappropriate Texting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Come on Baekhyun, it's not that heavy!" Eunsoo rolled her eyes as Baekhyun struggled with the duffel bag, complaining non stop. He grimaced, stumbling over to her whilst trying to keep it off the ground.

"If it's not heavy then why don't you carry it?" Her fiancee challenged, scrunching his nose up as his fingers began to sting from holding onto the strap for too long. He was going to have swollen sausage fingers by the end of this, he swore.

"Because I was the one who drove here," Eunsoo stuck her tongue out, poking his arm."Come on, hurry up!"

"I'm hurrying, I'm hurrying!" Baekhyun tottered after her, shooting her a reproachful glare when she wasn't looking. They were in Bucheon, visiting Eunsoo's parents. It was their 35th anniversary and both Eunsoo and Baekhyun had managed to get the time off to go back to Bucheon for the occasion. They'd set off late in the evening, just in case anyone were to spot Baekhyun next to her in the car during the day. They'd arrived in the early hours of the morning, and Baekhyun was quite tired. Eunsoo used her old house key (she'd kept it after moving to Seoul, just in case) to open the door, stepping inside quietly. Her parents were already asleep, and so she and Baekhyun quietly made their way up to her old room, Baekhyun making disgruntled sounds under his breath as he had to drag the heavy bag up the stairs. Eunsoo had grown up in a pretty well off household; her childhood home wasn't a mansion or anything, but it was fairly large. 

Eunsoo's room was exactly how she left it, right up to the Hello Kitty bedsheets and the millions of sketches and music posters stuck up on the walls. SNSD took the pride of place stuck above the headboard of her bed. Baekhyun laughed quietly; he'd forgotten how much of a K-pop fangirl she was. Dumping the duffel bag at the foot of the bed, he snuck up behind his fiancee, who was staring at her old drawings with a smile. She always liked to look at her old work whenever they visited. He hugged her around the middle, tucking his chin comfortably on her shoulder.

"You should get an EXO poster, you know."

"Why? So you can inflate your ego?" She answered, teasingly pinching his arm.

Baekhyun pinched her back, pouting,"That is a despicable assumption."

"It's true though, isn't it?" Eunsoo turned around to raise her eyebrow at him, daring him to deny it. Her fiancee scrunched his nose up and, as he always did when he didn't have a comeback, tried to distract her. Eunsoo tutted when he tried to kiss her neck and fiddled with the straps of her dress, pushing his head away."Don't even try that. It's late, I'm tired and we have lots to do tomorrow."

"It's just a party, right?" Baekhyun mumbled, a little put out. Sure, he'd started it as a distraction, but now he kind of wanted to continue."And it's not even until mid afternoon..."

"My sister and brothers will be dropping in earlier to help set up," Eunsoo told him."And they'll be bringing their kids, so we'll have to help look after them."

"Oh," Baekhyun blinked."How many kids are we talking here?"

"Well..." Eunsoo bit her lip, counting them off on her fingers."There's Hara's Jinri, Daehyun's Jaehyung and Hosung's twins so...4. Jinri will mostly take care of herself, so it's really only 3 we have to worry about. Hosung's girls are usually pretty calm, it's just Jaehyung that we'll have to look out for. You know how he is..."

"Yeah," Baekhyun nodded, recalling his previous meetings with the 4 year old. He was very sweet and completely adorable, but he was also hyper every second of every day and never stopped running around or talking. It was like he was on a permanent sugar high, and it was a bit much to handle sometimes."Well, maybe you're right. We'll need as much sleep as possible to be able to handle him properly."

"Of course I'm right," Eunsoo giggled."I'm always right."

"Pfft. Now who's got the ego problem?" Baekhyun poked her forehead, shaking his head."Honestly jagiya, deflate that head of yours..."

"Oh, shush you," Eunsoo rolled her eyes, wriggling out of his arms. She stripped down and slid into her pyjamas, waiting for Baekhyun as he also changed. He slid in next to her, wrapping his arm around her and pulling her to lie against his chest. He tilted her chin up to give her his customary goodnight kiss, before they both settled down.

"Night, Soo," Baekhyun murmured, nuzzling her hair sleepily.

Eunsoo smiled, patting his stomach gently,"Night, Baekkie. Sleep well."

They were woken up by a ball of energy jumping on the bed. Baekhyun was the first to wake, blearily cracking open an eye to try to detect the source of the disturbance. Eunsoo just snuggled into him more, mumbling something irritably. The first thing the idol saw was a cute, maniacally grinning little face attached to an Iron Man t-shirt, and for a second he thought he was still dreaming and that Chanyeol must have turned into a little kid. Then, as he blinked the sleep out his eyes, he realized that the object was not in fact a little Chanyeol, but Eunsoo's nephew Jaehyung. The 4 year old was kneeling on the bed, bouncing up and down and generally looking like he'd drank about 50 cans of energy drink. Behind him, Baekhyun could see two small, nearly identical girls who were hiding shyly behind a taller, older girl. His brain eventually processed that this was Jinri (luckily, she was no longer the Satanic brat she used to be towards him, although she still made fun of him occasionally out of habit. At least now it was more joking than nasty) and Eunsoo's twin nieces Nana and Hana.

"Hey, buddy," Baekhyun yawned, absently running a hand through his hair."What are you doing here?"

"Appa said to come wake you because you're sleeping for too long," Jaehyung told him, still bouncing. Eunsoo, by this point, had grudgingly begun to wake. She glanced over at the clock, before groaning and slapping her forehead. It was 11 o'clock, which was way past the time they should have gotten up. Obviously the drive there had taken more out of them than she'd thought.

"Okay, go tell him we're up," she rolled onto her back, waving vaguely at all of them. Jinri waved back enthusiastically, whilst the twins shyly raised their hands before hiding their blushes in her sides. Her eldest brother's daughters were always shy, which was strange because Hosung was the exact opposite. They reminded her a lot of how she used to be. 

"Yes noona! I'll do that!" Jaehyung nodded enthusiastically, scrambling backwards. He ended up tumbling off the bed, to the couple's shock, but he was up before they could ask if he was hurt or not. He turned to the three girls, clapping his hands together."Let's race! Ready steady GO!"

And with that he tore out the room. The twins looked at each other, before they followed him with cute little giggles, shyness momentarily gone. Jinri, as the eldest by a good few years, was far less enthusiastic as she followed them out, not even bothering to run and instead muttering about them being childish. She was at that age where she wanted to be grown up, but was still a kid at heart, as was evident by her kitten ear headband and Disney princess t-shirt.

"Is it just me or is he even more hyper than before?" Eunsoo mumbled, covering her face. Baekhyun yawned again, nodding in response as he swung his legs out of bed. He got dressed before she did, being far more of a morning person than she was due to his schedule. In fact, he managed to put on an entire outfit and sort out his messy bed hair before Eunsoo even started to move. Baekhyun chuckled quietly at her, watching her cute frown as she rubbed the sleep from her eyes.

"Wakey wakey, SooSoo," he cooed, clapping his hands. The glare she sent him was terrifying, but before she could make him pay for his actions he'd bolted out the door, relishing in the fact that she wasn't dressed and so couldn't go chasing after him. Of course she'd get him later, but it was worth it.

After he managed to greet everyone in the house (and congratulated Eunsoo's parents on their anniversary), Eunsoo finally emerged. Her hair was still messy and she was clearly struggling to stay awake as her eyelids were extremely droopy, but Baekhyun grinned and immediately moved to hug her, placing a kiss on her nose.

"Morning, y," he murmured, doing a cheesy wink. Eunsoo scrunched up her nose, rubbing his saliva off it with a tiny whine. This, naturally, made him do it again, because her reaction was so cute and amusing that he felt he had to see it again. It was after about the 5th time that she flicked his forehead and pushed him away.

"Behave," she told him sternly. He pouted, but let her go. If they hadn't currently been in the kitchen with Eunsoo's older brother and her nieces then he probably would have tried to in more creative ways, but he wasn't about to risk being punched in the face and/or corrupting children. Hosung was trying to reassure Hana and Nana that they would be fine whilst he was running errands.

"It's just for a bit, and you'll be with unnie and oppa, alright?" Hosung said, pointing at Baehyun and Eunsoo. The twins frowned in sync, and Hosung sighed."Come on girls, don't be like that..."

"Hey, why don't we play racing games in the garden?" Baekhyun said, an idea popping into his head. He leaned down to their level, shooting Hosung an 'I've got this' look, smiling sweetly at the girls."You like racing, don't you? We should ask Jaehyung and Jinri to come race too and...and the winner can choose what game we play afterwards."

"C-Can oppa race too?" Nana spoke up, popping her thumb out . She was generally the more talkative out of the two, and had been her thumb since she was a baby. Although the twins were very similar looking, Nana's ears stuck out more than Hana's did, which made it easier to tell them apart. 

Baekhyun grinned, ruffling her hair,"Oppa can race, but you'd better be careful. I'm a racing champion."

"No, Baekhyun oppa isn't a racing champion," Hana, now that her sister had started to speak, seemed to become more confident."I heard Soo unnie say he was something else..."

"Oh?" Baekhyun smiled encouragingly, wondering if they knew what an idol was. He'd be impressed if they did, as they were only 6."What is Baekhyun oppa? Do you know?"

"Well, unnie said on the phone that you're a pabo," Hana said, pointing at Eunsoo. The artist froze in the process of making her coffee, feeling Baekhyun's look on her back. She turned around to face his half-amused, half-irritated face, smiling innocently.

"I love you?" She bit her lip, trying to aegyo her way out of this. Her fiancee raised an eyebrow, and she deflated, fixing her gaze on her reflection in the coffee."Okay, my bad..."

"What's a pabo, Appa?" Nana asked curiously. Hosung pressed his lips together, looking very much like he was trying desperately to stop himself bursting out laughing, and patted her head gently.

"It's...a not nice word that you shouldn't call somebody," Hosung tutted at his little sister, who had the decency to look ashamed of herself."Unnie was very bad to say it about Baekhyun oppa."

"You bet she was," Baekhyun muttered, pouting slightly. He pointed at Eunsoo sternly."I think you should apologize to me, jagiya. No, even better, I think you should compose a full letter of apology and read it out in front of everyone."

Eunsoo's remorse was rapidly fading,"Baekhyun, I'm not going to-"

"You know, to set a good example for the children."

"There is no way I'm writing you a-"

"Won't you think of the children, jagi?"

"Oppa, please take the twins out the room," Eunsoo hissed menacingly, taking a step forward."I'd rather not make them see what I'm going to do to my fiancee if he doesn't shut his-"

"I think we should race now, what do you say?" Baekhyun cut her off, clapping his hands together gleefully.

"Yes!" The twins clapped with him, giggling. 

"Great, let's go!" Baekhyun rushed out the kitchen before Eunsoo could grab for him, the twins running after him, tripping and laughing. He winked at her glare, blowing her a kiss before rushing down the hall and calling for the other two children to join them in the garden for some games. Eunsoo sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. He was in one of those moods, obviously; not that he wasn't always teasing her, it was just that he was being particularly mischievous that day. Perhaps it was because they were back in Bucheon, or perhaps he was showing off for the kids. Who knew what went on in her fiancee's head sometimes? Still, although she was irritated she had to admit that Baekhyun running around with the twins was a sight that made her go all gooey inside.

"He's still amazing with kids, huh?" Hosung asked, voicing her thoughts. Eunsoo smiled and nodded, gulping down some of her coffee. Hosung chuckled, reaching forward to ruffle her hair like she was still a little kid."I've said it before, and I'll say it again; you've got a keeper, tiny."

"Don't," Eunsoo whined, trying to sort her hair out. Hosung sniggered at her reaction, doing it one last time before backing away.

"Anyway, now that the girls are occupied I have to set off," he shook the keys at her, waving."Got decorations to collect, party food to set out...take care of my babies, alright?"

"We will," Eunsoo glanced out the kitchen window, through which the garden was visible. She could see Baekhyun pretending to stretch in a goofy and exaggerated way, to peals of laughter from the twins and Jaehyung. Jinri was sitting on the sidelines, pretending like she wasn't interested but secretly laughing behind her hair. Baekhyun was mock scolding them for laughing, all the while doing a really bad attempt at lunges. He caught her look and his outraged face softened into a wide smile and he waved happily, before returning to his goofy antics.

"Yeah. We've got this covered, oppa."

"No! You'll never get my treasure!"

"Quick! Stab him JaeJae!"

"Okay! Charge!"

Eunsoo watched, laughing uncontrollably as Baekhyun, pretending to be a dragon, was poked in the stomach by Jaehyung's cardboard sword and went down like a sack of potatoes, clutching his stomach and rolling away like he was in intense pain.

"No! Curses, foiled again!" He shook his fist at the sky dramatically. Eunsoo sniggered at his antics, whilst Jinri, seated next to her, rolled her eyes.

"It's so silly..." she mumbled, and Eunsoo tutted. She nudged the girl, shaking her head.

"No, it's funny," she raised her voice so that the brave knights (AKA Jaehyung and the twins) and the so-called terrifying dragon of Trampolineland (Baekhyun's idea; the handful of crayons that passed for treasure was on the trampoline and he was able to curl up around them protectively like a real dragon) could hear her."Quick, I think he's going to breathe fire! Jump on him!"

"What?" Baekhyun didn't have time to process what she'd said before the kids had piled on him. He grunted, shooting her a weak glare as Jaehyung squashed his stomach and the twins held his legs down."Ah! I surrendered, I surrendered I promise! Just take the treasure! I quit!"

"See, funny," Eunsoo said, a wicked glint in her eye. Payback was well and truly served. Jinri didn't look convinced, but Eunsoo just decided to let her do what she wanted, watching fondly as Baekhyun coughed and gently pushed Jaehyung off him, wincing a little as he sat up. The kids rushed over to claim the 'treasure', waving their cardboard swords and shields in the air (Eunsoo had helped them with the making of the swords, using old cardboard boxes and felt tips). Baekhyun got to his feet, stealthily backing away as he watched them carefully to see if they'd noticed he was gone. When he saw that they were too busy celebrating, he suddenly bolted towards the patio, unexpectedly grabbing Eunsoo's hand and lifting her out of her seat.

She yelped,"B-Baekhyun!"

"AHA!" He ignored her, pointing triumphantly at the children."You may have my treasure, but I've kidnapped the princess!"

He lowered his voice, whispering in her ear,"Play along, jagi."

Eunsoo giggled, bemused but willing to do what he said. She gasped, placing a hand on her forehead dramatically,"Oh dear! An ugly dragon has caught me!"

"Handsome dragon," Baekhyun coughed, and she rolled her eyes.

"Sorry, handsome dragon," the youngsters were whispering to each other, staring at them with wide eyes. Eunsoo cleared , putting on her damsel in distress voice again."Oh, if only there were some brave knights to save me..."

"Let's save her!" Nana said excitedly, clinging

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter