Getting Back Up

Crazy About You

    "Let me take you home." Sungyeol offered. 
    "No, it's okay. Woohyun and Hoya will come with me. Right guys?" 

Woohyun and Hoya looked at each other. "Oh, I don't think I can. I have a family dinner to catch." Woohyun said. "And I need to take care of my....uhm...dog!" Hoya added.
    "But you don't have a dog." Sungjong argued.
    "Did I say mine? I meant ny neighbor's. Dog sitting. Extra money." Hoya smiled with a hint of nervousness. 
    "So... We have to go! Okay? Bye bye. Sungyeol can take you home. Okay? Okay. Bye!" Woohyun said rushing and pulling Hoya with him. 
    "Bye! Take care of our friend!" Hoya said shouting as they run away.

 

Sungjong looked at them confused. He knows what they were up to but he was confuse how it was so easy for them to just leave him with some new guy. But to be very honest, he felt warm. He knew what this guy did back there. He protected him and that's enough reason to trust Sungyeol, and at the same time, get to know someone new.

 

Whenever he think about it, he never bothered meeting new people. It was always Hoya, Woohyun, the Student Council and of course, Myungsoo. He was so focused to Myungsoo that he never got to actually live his high school life the right way.

Sungyeol held out his hand to help Sungjong stand up then they left the school. He suggested walking home, which Sungjong thought was ridiculous considering how far his house is, but Sungyeol insisted that it'll give Sungjong some time to think, especially now that he has to re-assess his life after what happened.

 

    "Isn't it stupid?" Sungjong broke the silence. Sungyeol looked at him. "The what?" 
    "I wanted Myungsoo's attention so bad, it blew up in my face. I have it, but not the way I wanted it." Sungjong said looking at the sky. 
    "Maybe because you tried to do it the easiest way." Sungyeol said. 
    "What do you mean?"
    "You tried to communicate with him in a way that would make you stand out from other people. You went to the extent of doing silly things when actually, you can do it slowly but in a right way." 
    "The right way?" Sungjong asked. 
    "The right way. Being you." Sungyeol smiled. "You're funny, cute and hardworking in your own way. If he doesn't fall for you, then there must be something wrong with him." 
    "You talk as if you know me so well." Sungjong sneered. 
    "But I do." Sungyeol said. "You're very open, you know that? You're an open book. Everyone knows what kind of person you are. That's why..." Sungyeol then looked at the ground. "...that's why I was surprised with what you did. You didn't have to do that." He added.

 

Sungjong looked at him. It was obvious how disapponted Sungyeol was. But what surprised him more is how this person talks as if he cares so much about him. He looks so familiar, but not familiar enough for him to remember.

 

    "W-we're here." Sungjong said trying to break the silence again. 
    "Ohh. Yeah. Uhm, will I see you tomorrow?" Sungyeol asked, anticipating for the answer he wants to hear.
    "Maybe." Sungjong smiled. "I don't know if I can."
    "Take all the time you need." Sungyeol said. "Good night." He smiled and waved goodbye. 
    "Good night." Sungjong answered.

 

It was Friday the next day and Sungjong decided to just rest that day. After an emotional day, he needs to take a break from school so he'll be mentally prepared for monday.

 

Sungjong woke up earlier than he expected on Saturday mornings. There was a loud knock at the gate and his mother came rushing in his room.

 

    "Wake up! Wake up!" Sungjong's mom shook him. "There's a handsome guy looking for you."

 

Sungjong jumped up. "What?!" He immediately thought how doomed he is if Myungsoo suddenly turn up at their gate and expose what he has been doing. He hurriedly dressed up and didn't bother looking at his face in the mirror. He came out rushing from his room telling his mom to stay there, which his mom didn't do. The moment he step out of his room, he felt his heart drop.

 

    "Good Morning!" The guy cheerfully greeted.

    "S-Sungyeol? What are you doing here?" 
    "I figured you'll like to jog? To make you healthier." Sungyeol smiled.

 

Sungjong can't say anything. He still feels like he's dreaming because, obviously he's still sleepy.

 

    "Mrs. Lee! Tell Sungjong he needs it." Sungyeol said smiling and encouraging.

 

Sungjong's mom shrieked and giggled. "Go with this handsome guy! C'mon you look fat anyway." 
    "Mom!" Sungjong yelled, annoyed.
    "What?! Just go with him. Go go go!" Sungjong's mom pushed him to Sungyeol.

 

Sungyeol looked at Sungjong smiling. "Let's go?" He then draged Sungjong out. 
    "Have fun!" Sungjong's mom shouted then giggled. "Seonkyu! Your brother's getting married!" She shrieked rushing into Sungjong's brother's room.

 

Sungyeol brought breakfast for them to eat at the park and as they walk towards there, he figured he has to make Sungjong feel better.

 

    "So, how are you?" He smiled.
    "Okay, I guess. I've been getting support from my friends and even my old friends. Also, you." Sungjong said making Sungyeol smile. "It's embarassing how even my old friends knew." He added. 
    "Cheer up. At least you knew who your real friends are. They comforted you and they didn't judge you. That's a good thing, right?"
    "Yeah, I guess." Sungjong forced a smile.

 

Sungyeol put his arm around Sungjong and hugged him as an encouragement. He felt warm. He feels protected and he knew, with Sungyeol by his side, he will be protected.

 

They finished the morning with a healthy breakfast and jog. Sungjong loved how they enjoy their time doing simple things. Sungyeol is very kind and considerate. From then on, he knew, he needed a good friend like Sungyeol.

 

    "I hope we could do this again next time." Sungyeol said while walking Sungjong home. 
    "I know there will be next time." Sungjong smiled. "We're here." 
    "Why does it feel like walking you home seems like the fastest thing to happen?" Sungyeol joked. 
    "Maybe because we're good at killing time." Sungjong answered. "Take care in your way home!" 
    "I will. Tell your mom I said thanks." Sungyeol smiled and went on his way.

 

Sungjong felt happy. Sungyeol is bringing him back on track and it's very healthy physically and emotionally. Plus, he was very open too. He's on Class 1, same class as Myungsoo, who he figured was never in class but passes most of the time. He also figured that he's known in the Class 1 and boys and girls would often talk about him, too. But he never felt like he seems like an interesting topic. Maybe, now.

 

The moment he stepped inside their house, her mom splashed confetti around him with his brother, who seems forced and doesn't enjoy what was going on, and held out a Congratulations banner.

 

    "What is this?!" 
    "You tell me." Seonkyu answered.
    "C'mon Sungjong! I know you're already in a relationship." Then his mom winked two times. 
    "What?! No!" 
    "I'm not mad, c'mon! He seems like a good kid. And very handsome too. I like his aura better than that guy on your laptop screen." 
    "W-who?!" Sungjong was flustered. 
    "That guy on your laptop! He's too handsome I don't trust it. Sungyeol's the right kind of handsome." His mom giggled. 
    "What?! Stop it!" Sungjong stormed inside his room. "And don't touch my laptop!"

 

 

 

 

 

Monday morning felt different. Sungjong wasn't really ready to be the center of attention. Even with Hoya and Woohyun by his side, it still feels weak. He needs...

    "Sungyeol!" Hoya shouted. They called him signalling him to come with them, which Sungyeol gladly did. 
    "You go beside our friend." Woohyun winked and switch places with him. Sungyeol was now walking side to side with Sungjong and he felt ready to protect him.
    "We're right here." He said, making Sungjong assured that they got him.

 

To their surprise, no one attacked him. He does get looks or whispers but it was less worse than what he thought the school would be. Sungyeol accompanied them to their classroom and headed on his.

 

He seems to be more of a subject for Class 1. He got a few cheer from guys who weren't able to witness what happened and heard it from their friends.

 

    "We could've protected Sungjong together." One of his classmate said. 
    "Thanks on doing it on my behalf." Another classmate of his joked. "That was very cool."

 

Sungyeol smiled and laughed with other guys while Myungsoo and his friends doesn't seem to enjoy what was happening. Myungsoo approached him without fear.

 

    "Did you enjoy it for the show? Did you like how these guys praise you?" Myungsoo mocked.

 

Sungyeol stood up, "No. I did what was supposed to be done. By a real man." He bragged. "How about you? What did you do?" 
    "I guess you didn't hear after you felt like a hero. I gave everyone an earful. Noticed how no one dared to mess with Sungjong?" 
    "Oh. So you needed my coach. Don't worry, I'll help you again next time in case you dont know how to act like a decent man."

 

Before things got more heated up, their teacher arrived. It was a close call. What Sungyeol doesn't understand is what Myungsoo was after. Why does he care if Sungyeol protected Sungjong? Maybe he doesn't. He just doesn't want to seem like a jerk specially that Sungyeol earned respect from the students.

 

No one bothered Sungjong but no one talked to him, too. He prefers it better though, instead of girls flocking around him and hurt him. He ate with Hoya, Woohyun and Sungyeol. It looks like it will be his permanent friends and he couldn't be any happier.

 

While Sungjong was fixing his locker, Myungsoo approached him. He looks a bit hesitant, but he approached Sungjong anyway. Sungjong was taken aback. Why is he here? He doesn't seem to be affected but what he looks like the last time he saw Myungsoo was a face of a guy disgusted with what he learned.

 

Myungsoo stood there while Sungjong stared at him, nervous what his next moves will be. 
    "Do my project." 
    "W-what?!" Sungjong said, confused. 
    "I said do my project." Myungsoo left his materials and instruction at Sungjong's locker and left. It was all confusing. What does Myungsoo want? Is he trying to erase what happened? If so, Sungjong thought it'll be a lot better and easier that way.

 

Sungjong did what he was told. He left Myungsoo's project at his locker. The next time he saw Sungjong at his locker, he did the same. Sungjong kept doing his project as if he was used to doing so. Suddenly, the news got out that he was doing Myungsoo's project again when students saw him leaving it at Myungsoo's locker.

 

Hoya and Woohyun gave him an earful but Sungjong said he doesn't know what he was doing and he can't control it. Sungyeol was jut quiet, standing near them, not saying anything.

 

    "Sungyeol! What do you think?" Hoya asked. 
    "Let's just see where this is heading. I'll wait." Sungyeol said in a serious tone.

 

Sungjong knew it was wrong but he just can't stop. Myungsoo's presence just keep on making him do it until the news gets bigger and bigger. Students knew what he was doing and they start mocking Sungjong. "He never learn." The students said.

 

During break time, Sungjong was hanging out with Hoya, Woohyun and Sungyeol at the stairs when suddenly, Myungsoo approached him. He placed his materials and instructions in front of Sungjong. "Do my project." He said then started walking away.

 

Sungyeol had enough with Myungsoo. "What the f-ck are you up to?" Sungyeol said pushing him from behind. Myungsoo turned around and pushed him back. "Why do you care?"

 

    "He's my friend. Why? He's not your f-cking friend and I had enough with all this bullsh-t!" Sungyeol said grabbing Myungsoo by the collar.

 

The students started flocking around watching the heated up conversation. Sungyeol and Myungsoo were looking eye to eye, glaring and grabbing each other by the collar. Sungjong knew he had to step in. He pulled Sungyeol away.

 

    "Stop this." Sungjong said calmly with the help of Woohyun and Hoya separating the two. He started picking the materials up when Sungyeol grabbed it and tossed it to Myungsoo. "Here's your project and don't ever go near Sungjong again."

 

Sungyeol grabbed Sungjong away from the scene and went to the rooftop. "What the hell were you doing?!" He said, glaring at Sungjong. "You're letting him use you again?"

 

    "Again?" Sungjong said confused.
    "Yeah. Again! Because he was using you even back then. Knowing how you give him exemptions, he's taking advantage of you!" Sungyeol argued. He yelled before he tried to calm himself down.

    "Lee Sungjong. Stop doing this to yourself. You're hurting yourself again. You're getting back up. Don't pull yourself down."

 

Sungjong knew that whatever Sungyeol is doing, it's all for him. To help him. He was right. What was he doing? How can he not stop himself? He's scared to admit that he was obviously obsessed with Myungsoo. He has to stop this.

 

    "I need your help." 
    "I'm helping you right now." Sungyeol said. He playfully ruined Sungjong's hair to make the atmosphere better.

 

Of course, the girls won't be out of the picture as long as Myungsoo is in it. 
    "Congratulations! You've openly become Myungsoo's slave!" The leader of the girls said as Sungjong and Sungyeol walk back inside the school.           "Guess some things won't change. But Lee Sungyeol! Look at you! Stop ruining your image by hanging out with this guy." She said then smirked. 
    "How about you all stop ruining your image as the school's jerks? But, there's nothing to ruin anyway. You're already at your worst state." Sungyeol argued grabbing Sungjong away.

 

Sungyeol, Hoya and Woohyun all decided to visit Sungjong at home. They wanted to help him improve and show everyone that he's more than what he is right now. Sungyeol decided to help Sungjong with his studies. Hoya and Woohyun talked to the Student Council to ask if he will be given another chance. Fortunately, at the next school year, he can apply again but he has to defend himself and clear his issue first among the Student Council administration.

 

When it comes to appearance, Sungjong looks okay. He's a pretty boy and simple the way he is. They decided to improve him through his studies and services instead. He's capable of doing more than what he can right now.

 

They plan to move Sungjong, Hoya and Woohyun to Class 1. They need to work hard so that next school year, they'll be in the same class considering that they'll be Seniors by then. Just two more quarters, and they'll be off to next year.

 

Sungjong, Hoya and Woohyun worked hard and reached a grade they never thought they'll achieve. They started coming into the top 10 among their class and eventually, top 50 for the whole year. All they need is to make the cut of Top 30 to be able to make their way into the Class 1 next year.

 

Sungjong spends a lot of time with Sungyeol these days. They're often seen together, studying. They spend each time they can. It was a win-win situation. Sungjong gains confidence and he's making himself better while Sungyeol spends time with Sungjong, which is all he wanted all along.

 

Little by little, Sungyeol helps Sungjong take Myungsoo of his mind. He had been living his life around Myungsoo, even though he clearly shouldn't. To take it into a much easier explanation, he experienced a one-sided love because of Myungsoo and Sungyeol took the responsibility to help him clear Myungsoo off of his mind. He understand that it wasn't an easy thing to do, but he has to. Otherwise, Sungjong will keep on falling and get crashed.

 

Taking his mind into studying, Sungjong was beginning to change his image once again. By gradually raising his grades up, he was known as the underdog and one of the student to look upon, instead of being Myungsoo's stalker and a slave for him. He had been under that name for as long as he can remember and now, all he wants to do is to step up his game and have a better image....and grades.

 

He does get random mock from athletes and other students but having half of the people in the school knowing him by his achievement isn't bad. Eventually, he knows everyone will know by that.

 

Sungjong was slowly becoming what Myungsoo was like before. His grades were raising plus the Student Council is making him do extra works for then without campaigning so he can join once again next time. It's his last time to re-join and if he messes up again, he can no longer be a part of Student Council. He admits he took part of it because he wanted Myungsoo's recognition but now, he just wanted to build himself again.

 

Things were turning great as the school year ends. The three of them were hoping to be with Sungyeol in Class 1. Unfortunately, they wont be able to hear the news until the enrollment. They all agreed to not spoil the news. Each year, newly added students get to be introduced and Sungyeol said he'll wait for the three of them by then.

 

 

 

 

    "Welcome Class 1 to your final school year!" The class cheered after the Teacher.
    "We'll get to meet 5 new students! These students aced the last 2 quarters making their GWA higher than the students who unfortunately, was removed in the Class 1. Let's all give them a warm welcome shall we?" Once again, the class cheered ready to welcome the students. Boys were expecting pretty girls and Girls were expecting handsome boys, that was basically the reason why they cheered.

    "Kim Sunggyu." 
    "Jang Dongwoo." 
    "Nam Woohyun." The girls cheered with his entrance but he rolled his eyes.
    "Lee Hoya." Once again, the girls cheered louder than the first two. He felt awkward because he wasn't expecting the girls' welcome. Sunggyu and Dongwoo looked at each other. "Are we ugly?" And scoffed. 
    "And the very surprising ace student, whom maybe all of you knows. Lee Sungjong."

 

And with his name called the guys cheered excited to see the flower boy. Sungyeol cheered with them, proud that all of them was able to succeed. But one person seems to feel uneasy. Sungyeol looked at Myungsoo and smirked.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"You better be ready."