Let's Go Back To The Start

Crazy About You

 

Sungyeol came running inside to see an empty house with absolutely no trace of anyone living. He went upstairs then down over and over again just to be slapped by the reality that Sungjong and his family really left. He immediately dialed up Hoya’s number knowing that Sungjong wouldn’t answer or leave his phone open, but Hoya’s phone was turned off, as well as Woohyun’s.

 

He took a cab to arrive at the school as fast as he can to talk to Myungsoo. Does he know? Is that why he seemed happy last night knowing that he’s informed of what will happen the next morning? If that’s the case, then he deserves some beating. That’s what Sungyeol thought. If Myungsoo knows, he’s not playing a fair game. Sungyeol has been very considerate with Myungsoo’s feelings. Even though he can mess up with Myungsoo every time an opportunity comes, he could’ve done so but no. Sungyeol thought that it wouldn’t be fair knowing that Myungsoo love Sungjong just as much as he does.

 

He rushed to the classroom the moment he arrived but Myungsoo wasn’t in his seat. He was nowhere to be found, too. Was I the only one left out? Sungyeol thought to himself. He left the classroom ready as ever to punch someone. He wanted to keep it cool but if he finds out that everyone left him out, he’ll never know where and how much his anger will take him.

 

He ran to places where students could be in when the classes aren’t starting yet. He looked at the library, the athletes’ locker rooms, the rooftop and even going back tons of time in the classroom asking their classmates if Myungsoo already went in but their answer remained the same. He hasn’t went in yet.

 

Just when he thought about going outside the campus, he took one last chance to see if they’re in the cafeteria only to find out that he was there all along, eating with Sunggyu and Dongwoo. He tried to slow down his pace while catching his breath as he was approaching them. Sungyeol sat down and stared at Myungsoo without saying a word.

 

    “Hey! Sungyeol, we still have 30 minutes before class starts. Go buy some snacks.” Sunggyu said, encouraging Sungyeol but he has no response. He continued staring at Myungsoo.

Myungsoo got startled with the way Sungyeol was staring at him. “Am…am I too handsome?” He joked around while Sunggyu laughed but Sungyeol remained silent.

Sunggyu cleared his throat, “What’s wrong?”

    “Sungjong.” Sungyeol finally broke his silence.

    “Sungjong?” Sunggyu asked, confused.

Myungsoo stared back at him. “What’s with Sungjong?” asking him, completely clueless.

 

And with Myungsoo’s question, Sungyeol felt the world drop down into his shoulders. Why is Myungsoo acting like he doesn’t know anything? There’s no sign of guilt or being boastful of the fact that he knew Sungjong was leaving. Does he really not know? Or he’s getting at pretending?

  

    “Sungjong…and his family.” Those were the only words that escaped from Sungyeol’s mouth. He looked at the three of them but they all seemed confuse with what Sungyeol wanted to say.

    “Why? What’s with him and his family?” Myungsoo asked then suddenly, he stood up getting excited. “Are they here? Let’s greet them!”

Sungyeol stood up to face him. “You really don’t know?”

    “Don’t know what?” Myungsoo asked, starting to get worried.

Sungyeol contemplated if he should tell Myungsoo or not because he didn’t want any trouble. But then he thought, it would be very unfair to Myungsoo if he’s left in the dark just as much as him.

    “Myungsoo…” Sungyeol struggled getting to even open his mouth. “Sungjong…his family…” he continued. Myungsoo was staring at him, waiting for him to spill those words he can’t even spit. Sungyeol knows what Myungsoo is capable of. He knew how it would break Myungsoo’s heart. They were just starting to get to know each other more but Sungjong left without even a decent goodbye. He was heartbroken by it, too. But Myungsoo’s heart will shatter more. He can’t help but feel mad at Sungjong.

 

Sungjong was so unfair and inconsiderate, Sungyeol thought. He didn’t even had a second thought about leaving or worse, lying directly to his face. He can’t even explain all the emotions that he’s feeling. Only Sungjong can do this to them. Only Sungjong can make them happy and at the same time, get hurt. It was an awful feeling.

 

    “They’re gone.” Sungyeol finally said.

 

The other three was even more confused. “Gone?” Myungsoo asked. “What do you mean?”

    “They… they left.”

    “What?!” Sunggyu and Dongwoo said unison. Myungsoo, on the other hand was speechless. His brain can’t even process what he just heard.

 

Gone? Left? What does Sungyeol mean? That can’t be it. Sungjong can’t be gone. He just had the best day ever yesterday. They were all there, the four of them standing at the cafeteria, they were all hanging out. They all were having a good time. Why would he be gone? Sungjong can’t leave. He’s starting to build his life up again. He’s nearly off to college and he can start fresh when he attends a university. It’s impossible.

 

    “What do you—“

    “They left. It’s exactly as you heard it.” Sungyeol said, cutting off Myungsoo’s words. Sungyeol’s as frustrated as everyone and he just don’t want to talk more. He wants to hurry up and find the answers to all of their questions.

    “Is that why Hoya said he can’t come to school today?” Dongwoo suddenly stood up.

    “Ohh.” Sunggyu then reacted, “Is that why you’ve been down all morning?” he continued.

Sungyeol took a deep breath, “If you want to find—“

He was then cut off with Myungsoo running outside the cafeteria. Sungyeol quickly followed. They ran outside the campus, not letting the School Guard catch up on their speed. Where could they be? If they’re moving, it’s impossible to find them within just Seoul. Also, it would be impossible that they just left, knowing that Sungyeol saw the movers last night.

They were absolutely clueless. They were left without a hint. Even Woohyun and Hoya who’s a friend of theirs will not speak up about it. It was impossible that day, or probably even for the next few days. They were absolutely left in the dark.

 

 

Their day finished off drinking to death by the Han River. They needed to let it out. They needed to at least feel numb. The feeling they have was absolutely helpless. They themselves were helpless.

 

    “Lee Sungjong!” Myungsoo yelled. “You thought I was harsh?! You thought those girls were harsh?! Guess what! You’re worse!” He continued while catching for his breath.

 

The struggle of keeping his emotions and tears to himself was unbearable. Sungyeol, on the other hand, was lying down on the grass. He kept on thinking and thinking but no matter how much he wanted to think of a reason, he was out of it. Were they too much for Sungjong that he had to leave without even saying goodbye?

Sungyeol stood up after remaining silent all this time while Myungsoo lash out at every single thing he could touch. He then took a deep breath, “Myungsoo’s right. You know what, Lee Sungjong? You’re the worst person I ever met! Absolutely worst!”

 

Myungsoo was started with Sungyeol’s sudden action. Sungyeol was the type to just sit down and rethink their actions. He knew that at that time, Sungyeol was out of things to think about. It was all blurry.

Maybe he did it so he could finally escape the ugly memories he had with the school? But if that’s the reason, he could’ve left before.

Maybe because he doesn’t want to be with them anymore? Then he won’t ask to spend the last few days before moving with the people he had every right to despise.

He seemed fine. He looked happy. Why would he leave?

 

 

Myungsoo and Sungyeol woke up with street sweepers poking them with the broomsticks hearing, “Are they dead?” They were on the same spot as they were the last time they remember. Ahh- the things Sungjong cause them to do, they thought. It was horrible. The moment they woke up, they were reminded of the same reason why they wanted to feel out of the world the night before.

 

They had no intentions of going to school that day. They needed to go home. They needed space. They needed a break. The day after that, they agreed on finding the what-seems-to-be-impossible answers that they needed to know.

 

On the way home, Sungyeol saw Hoya riding the bus to their school. He quickly hopped on and sat behind him without making himself obvious. He stared at Hoya who seemed to be distracted with the smell: smell of alcohol. He then realized that he smelled so much so pulled out a body spray to hopefully cover the stench.

 

When Hoya seemed to be at peace, Sungyeol positioned himself where he could clearly see what Hoya’s phone. He figured, it’s the least he can do to know what’s happening without directly asking them because he knew for sure that he’s not going to get any answers.

 

Just when his luck seems to be on his side that day, Hoya opened the group chat flashing the name of the members Lee Sungjong and Nam Woohyun. He moved in closer to see the conversation pretty well.

 

Nam Woohyun: I’m on my way to school Hoya! Where are you?

Nam Woohyun: And where are you right now Lee Sungjong?! Contact us immediately!

Lee Hoya: I’m on the bus. There’s this man behind me who reeks the smell of alcohol. UGH!

Sungyeol suddenly got conscious while trying to spray more cologne to hide the stench.

Nam Woohyun: O

Nam Woohyun: M

Nam Woohyun: G

Nam Woohyun: Look at him! Complain!

Sungyeol quickly hid his face while still looking at the conversation.

Nam Woohyun: But is he cute? Kk~

Lee Hoya: No way! He could be a ert.

He didn’t know if Hoya’s response was a sign of relief or something he should get offended with.

Nam Woohyun: ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

Lee Hoya: I can’t belief you would actually want me to check someone out when you’re with Sunggyu now.

Nam Woohyun: Hey! I was trying to add more options.

Lee Hoya: What?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Lee Sungjong: Unbelievable.

Sungyeol’s eyes widen as soon as he saw the name he’s been dying to see. He wanted to grab the phone away but he needed to see the conversation fully before catching Hoya on the spot.

Nam Woohyun: Lee Sungjong!

Lee Hoya: Lee Sungjong!

Nam Woohyun: Where are you now?

Lee Sungjong: Hiiiiiii~

Lee Sungjong: We’re at a stopover then hop on a flight directly to LAX

.

“LAX?” Sungyeol thought to himself. He’s not just moving within Korea, he’s going overseas. He sat back to calm himself down. He didn’t care about what they talked about after. All he wanted to know was where the heck did Lee Sungjong went? And now he has the answers.

 

They finally arrived at the stop. Sungyeol went off the bus and walked silently behind Hoya. He should be full of energy knowing where Sungjong went but he felt like his soul just got up. Just as he was walking, he heard Woohyun shouting at Hoya. When he looked up, the two of them were staring at him, looking as if they just got caught red-handed.

 

But their expressions changed from scared to feeling pity. Little did Sungyeol know, tears were streaming down his face. It was flowing down non-stop. He felt so tired and numb that even the feeling of his tears doesn’t seem to bother him.

 

Why did Sungjong flew overseas? Was it serious that he didn’t even bid goodbye? Why would he lie about staying? Why did he look like he’ll stay? Sungjong left everyone without even saying goodbye to some people who loves him but…why does Sungjong seem so happy? Why does it seem like it wasn’t even bothering him that he left without a word? Were they unimportant? If that was the case, then Sungyeol and Myungsoo’s heart are shattered to the point where even a sand is bigger than it.

 

Sungyeol turned around without talking to them nor even bothering to talk. All this time, he wanted to know the reason. He wanted some answers to his questions but for the first time, he didn’t want any of it. He was scared to know or even think about it. He wished he didn’t see Sungyeol’s chat. He wished he didn’t felt Sungjong’s smile at his friends through the screen. Sungyeol wished he didn’t knew Sungjong and that’s when he knew, he’s starting to break down harder then he thought he will.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Both Myungsoo and Sungyeol were forced to go to school days later for the Graduating Activities. Sungyeol tried his best not to get caught by anyone, even wearing a mask inside the campus, but Myungsoo’s eagle eye caught him coming inside.

    “Hey.” Myungsoo said as he stood in Sungyeol’s way.

    “Move.” Sungyeol answered without even looking at Myungsoo.

    “Hey.” Myungsoo then said, grabbing Sungyeol’s arm with force. “You said we’ll look for answers together the day before yesterday. Where were you?!”

 

Sungyeol sighed not even wanting to have any of it. But then again, his guilt acted up before he even push through Myungsoo. He took his mask off and looked at Myungsoo straight in the eye.

    “Sungjong’s overseas.”

    “What?!” Myungsoo, Sunggyu and Dongwoo said in unison.

    “It seems like your boyfriends aren’t even telling you something. Have you even talked to them?” Sungyeol asked Sunggyu and Dongwoo, but the both of them shook their head.

    “They’re even avoiding our gaze and it’s driving me crazy!” Sunggyu said while ruffling his hair.

Myungsoo stood still staring at nothing.

Sungyeol let out a sigh. He was feeling weak again. He’s been out of his mind ever since he knew where Sungjong is. If it drives Sunggyu and Dongwoo crazy that the two has been avoiding them, what else for Myungsoo and Sungyeol? It’s not even an inch of what they felt the moment they knew he was gone.

    “I know what you feel. That’s what I felt the moment I knew.” Sungyeol simply said, avoiding further conversation before passing through the three and putting on his mask back.

 

But Myungsoo was different. Unlike Sungyeol who felt like dying after thinking about the possible weakening reasons Sungjong has, Myungsoo wanted to know reason. He wants to hear it himself. If he has to use everyone he knows, he will. And so he did.

 

At first, Myungsoo felt bad knowing that Sunggyu and Woohyun’s more excited compared to the other two because they’re new to their relationship, and Dongwoo wouldn’t want to just use Hoya. With just one call from one of them, the other comes running. He knew he had to do it. He just needs to swallow his guilt.

 

The moment Woohyun arrived and saw Myungsoo, he wanted to run as fast as he can. But seeing Sunggyu’s guilty face, he knew he had to end this hide and seek and at least have a closure for the three of them. Woohyun sat down glaring at Sunggyu before taking a deep breath.

    “Sungjong’s overseas.”

    “I know that already.” Myungsoo said. What else?” he then added, very eager to know the reason first and hear it out loud.

    “He went there to study. He’s going to college. That’s why he left.”

    “That’s it?”

Woohyun nodded.

    “That can’t be it.” Myungsoo argued.

    “Then what else do you want to hear?” Woohyun said with his voice starting to rise, but Sunggyu continued to keep the both of them calm.

    “That can’t be it. It can’t be that simple. Why would he want to spend time with us, even separately, if that’s all he’s there for? He could’ve hanged out with the both of us.”

    “Well, he did. Didn’t he? At the amusement park.” Woohyun argued back.

Myungsoo let out a sigh, not believing what he’s hearing. “I’m not buying any of this.”

    “It’s okay if you don’t want to believe me. But I said all I can so please—“

    “Are you sure that’s all?” Myungsoo said, cutting Woohyun off.

Woohyun simply nodded.

    “Okay. Then why did he lie to Sungyeol the night before? Why did he lie about not leaving? I mean, keeping it from me, I could totally understand. But Sungyeol? The one who was there for him when I was being a jerk? The one who took care of the three of you while the other people mocked you? Why would he lie to Sungyeol’s face? Why? Why?!” Myungsoo asked, raising his voice, emphasizing everything he wants to know.

 

He felt the eyes of other people attached to him but he did not care even a little bit. Why would he care? He wants to know the reason why someone he love left him without even saying goodbye. He wants to know why Sungjong confessed that night. Was it all planned? Was that some sort of goodbye gift? If it was, he wished that Sungjong should’ve pushed him away. Then, he’ll feel the hurt of him leaving knowing that he stands no chance with Sungjong at all rather than knowing that he still likes him.

 

Woohyun sighed. “Myungsoo, I don’t know what to tell you. But one thing’s for sure. I’m not lying when I said that he went there to study.”

    “If that’s really it, then why didn’t he bid goodbye to the two people who loves him so much, they’re willing to fight over him both physically and verbally?” Myungsoo argued.

Woohyun stood up. “You know what Myungsoo? That’s the problem. That’s the problem right there. You were fighting for him, even in front of him. What? Do you think he liked the idea of being fought over? Verbally and physically? Can you hear yourself or you’re too blinded by the idea of fight for you love?” he sighed, trying to catch his breath and remain calm.

    “I do have something I know but I can’t fully assure you that it’s true. It’s that his father took them for two reasons. One, for Sungjong to study there. Two, to move with him knowing Sungjong’s state because of the two of you. It seems reasonable isn’t it?” Woohyun added, then rolled his eyes.

    “Now that I think I said everything that I can, my Sunggyu and I will go now and have a date that we can’t have because of the two of you.” He grabbed Sunggyu’s arm while Sunggyu kept on apologizing to Myungsoo for standing up. “I think that’s enough for the two of you, Myungsoo. You and Sungyeol are both my friends now, but my best friend needed me the most. And come to think of it, he suffered the most. So please, just wait until he comes back and don’t bother him until then”

 

Woohyun and Sunggyu then went out, leaving Myungsoo feeling like he’s at his worst. It was because of him. It was because of the two of them. They were both hating what Sungjong did, but little did they know, it happened because of them.

 

The next day, he saw Hoya along the corridor. He wanted to believe that Woohyun said that out of anger, but when he went to confront Hoya, he heard the same thing. It wasn’t like it was planned out to be said that way. He really felt that it was the truth, the harsh reality why Sungjong had to leave.

    “His mom told his dad about it because she was so worried when Sungjong had to leave school for the Academy. At first, it was just that. But then, his dad found out that the two of you still hangs out with Sungjong despite transferring away from you guys. He had to pull him away. Sungjong didn’t want it, but you know, it’s his parents.” Hoya said, sighing. “Whatever he said or did before he left, that wasn’t part of the plan. He was hurt, too. Actually, he was hurt the most.” He then added.

Myungsoo nodded. “We should’ve known. We were too insensitive, just thinking about ourselves.” He scoffed at his own remark. “Jerks.”

Hoya stood up and pat Myungsoo. “I hope you didn’t hated our best friend too much. Come to think of it, he sacrificed a lot. He had to leave us, you guys, this school. He had to leave everyone and even graduating with us, he gave that up, too.” He then started sniffing, remembering how much they wanted to graduate together. “I don’t want to blame you guys when everyone’s already doing so. I believe this is a perfect opportunity to improve yourselves and meet with the better versions of the three of you in the future. Time heals everything.” He finished off before walking away from Myungsoo.

 

Little did they know, Sungyeol was at the staircase just below theirs. It felt like someone drilled a hole right in the middle of their hearts. It was the most heart-aching truth they have ever felt. It hurts so bad, they can’t feel the beat of their hearts anymore. What Hoya said was right. They could use this for self-improvement. But despite hearing the bright side of it, their world never seem to find the light knowing that Sungjong went away because of them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

CONGRATULATIONS, GRADUATES BATCH 2017!

A loud cheer from thousands of students can be heard all throughout the hall. It was another ending and another beginning for the chapters of their lives. Everyone hugged their closest friends as it was the last time they could see each other for a while as they head on to college for their future.

 

As Sungyeol was going around, saying his goodbyes to their classmates, he met eyes with Myungsoo. They stare at each other with meaningful smiles. They all had it hard. High School was a beautiful nightmare. Despite having to close their high school lives with a pain in their chests, it was still a beautiful memory that the both of them would never forget.

 

They heard it loud and clear from Hoya. Sungjong wanted to stay. He did things that wasn’t planned. He said things he shouldn’t said but he decided to. He wanted to stay despite having the hardest time, but he has to go. He has to leave. It’s enough. It was a time out for their struggling hearts.

 

Sungjong will come back. They were sure of it. They might never know when, but the world is too small for three people not to meet once again. If their hearts desire to meet, fate will lead the way.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5 YEARS LATER

 

Myungsoo was rushing to his car. He just celebrated his 1st year on his workplace the night before so he was too drunk, he commanded his friend to park it at the parking lot in front of his apartment. He was too busy fixing his tie to look at the streets but the sound of the last 5 seconds startled him, he had to run to his car. Also, he was running late.

 

As he was running, he bumped someone on the street. The person’s things fell down and collided with his but he made sure to get all of his separated from the other person. He handed the other person’s things without bothering to look while apologizing. When he was about to leave, looking at his things, he figured one of his folder missing, but the guy handed it to him from his behind.

    “Here you go.” The guy said.

    “Oh, thank you.” Myungsoo answered bowing then ran to his car.

 

At the back of his said, he thought, the voice sounds oddly familiar. He looked at the guy as he was riding the cab. His voice and even his figure was very similar to the guy he loved and still love from way back High School. He wanted to figure who that person was, but a call he got flashing the name of his boss made him forget what just happened.

 

As he was walking to his desk, someone strangled him from behind, causing him to yell in a very funny way. Again, it’s another familiar person.

    “Hey, Lee Sungyeol! This je—“

    “Wait, wait, wait. You’re in the office now.” He cut Myungsoo off as he ruffled his hair. “Jerk.” He added before running away while laughing.

 

Myungsoo sighed in disbelief. “This person. Ahhhhh!”

    “Hey!” Sungyeol peeked in.

    “What?” Myungsoo said while trying to fix his hair.

    “Morning meeting, in approximately…” Sungyeol looked at his watch before turning his head back to Myungsoo. “…1 minute” he smirked and ran off.

 

Myungsoo knew that it’s either he rans fast to the 8th floor from the 6th floor that instant with a ruffled hair, or he fix it well and arrive late. Either way, he was doomed. He had no choice but to run after Sungyeol and just fix his hair as he walk to the meeting, which seemed to be impossible to be back the way as how it is. Before entering the room, Myungsoo made sure to strangle Sungyeol first to get back.

 

    “Good Morning!” The Office Manager announced.

    “Good Morning!” everyone responded.

    “First of all, I would like to congratulate the employees who celebrated their first year yesterday in our company. May we all spend more time together.” He once again announced. “Let’s now proceed with today’s agenda”

The meeting went on for like forever. Myungsoo and Sungyeol felt like they were going to lie down the chairs any moment now, but they fight through the urge to sleep.

    “Okay. Before officially closing today’s meeting…” it was then followed by sighs from everyone in the room. “…I would like you all to welcome one very important person in my life. He’s a very close nephew and he just got back from the US after studying.”

 

Sungyeol and Myungsoo felt their body froze from hearing the introduction. They were reminded of someone close to their hearts. It’s been years, too. How was he? Is he doing fine? When will he be back? They felt envious of the fact that the Office Manager’s nephew got back and the one they’re patiently waiting for, isn’t still around.

   

    “He will start fresh as an intern and slowly make his way up, so don’t worry about biases or anything else, it wouldn’t happen.” Everyone laughed at the Office Manager’s remark. He then opened the door near him to introduce the intern.

 

    “No way…” Sungyeol whispered to himself when the intern went inside the room.

    “We must be dreaming. We must sleeping right now.” Myungsoo whispered to Sungyeol.

Both of their jaws drop and hearts beat fast. They stood up to see a better view. They never felt as excited and scared like this. It was as if they travelled back to time from 5 years ago. It can’t be…or is it really...

 

 

 

 

    “Lee Sungjong?!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING “CRAZY ABOUT YOU”!

Thank you for all the comments, up votes and subscriptions. Please look forward to more of my works! ♥