I Still Like You

Crazy About You

 

"Sungjong wants to hangout with you this weekend." Sungyeol said as he barged in the entrance, walking ahead of Myungsoo.

"W-what?" Myungsoo wondered as he was trying to fix his scattered thoughts. "H-hangout? Sungjong? Huh?" He said to himself before he sprint to catch up with Sungyeol's pace. "What do you mean?" he said as he slightly hit the side of Sungyeol's arm.

Sungyeol sighed in dissatisfaction. “It is what it is. He wants to hangout with you.”

    “Without you? Just us?” Myungsoo asked in confirmation while Sungyeol nodded unwillingly. Myungsoo burst out laughing, “Without you.” He teased.

    “Yeah, laugh all you want, but I wonder who he hangout with every night.” Sungyeol answered back which cut off Myungsoo’s laughter.

Myungsoo then cleared his throat, “Why?”

    “What do you mean why?” Sungyeol asked, confused.

    “Why is he asking to hangout with us out of the blue? I mean, maybe not ‘out of the blue’ but even separately when he’s the one who’s dying to make us friends.”

    “I wonder too.” Sungyeol sighed. “It’s making me worry.”

 

They both turned silent.

 

    “I know!” Sungyeol broke the silence, “What if you try to ask him to at least tell you why?”

    “You mean you haven’t asked him yet?”

    “I did, but… he seemed so down and… I don’t think he’ll tell me.” Sungyeol said, feeling discouraged.

Myungsoo felt the need to liven up the mood, “Well,” he cleared his throat, “Maybe because I’m the only one who can make him say it.” He bragged. “Maybe ‘cause he only trusts me, not you.”

Sungyeol scoffed, “Yeah, right. Or maybe it’s too sad or serious that he doesn’t want to see me disappointed ‘cause he likes me that much.” He smirked. Sungyeol expected Myungsoo’s answer but he remained quiet with his head down.

Myungsoo sighed, “You…you think so?”

    “Think what? That he likes me? Yeah. Absolutely!” he laughed playfully.”

    “No.” Myungsoo said, still looking gloomy. “You think it’s that serious that he won’t talk about it?

Sungyeol stopped laughing and his smile turned upside down. He felt like his heart dropped from Myungsoo’s words. What if it really was? What if all this time, Sungjong was really preparing to leave? What if he’s sick? What if he’ll be gone in a few years…months…weeks…days? Sungyeol wanted to punch himself so bad from thinking about the worst case scenarios but he just can’t stop getting the bad feeling.

He didn’t want the both of them to keep thinking something bad. Maybe Sungjong just really wanted to hangout. That’s it! Right? That could be it. What else could it be? They just have to trust Sungjong’s words. Only Sungjong’s.

    “Hey, buddy! Cheer up. What could possibly go wrong? It’s Sungjong! The tough and strong Sungjong that we both learned to love. Just… just take care of him when you hangout, just like how I took care of him every night.”

Sungyeol sighed and remained positive. He tapped Myungsoo’s shoulder and ran ahead, stopping the both of them from getting worried more.

 

 

 

Instead of a happy feeling, Myungsoo felt nervous as he was preparing. He needs to make sure to let Sungjong feel that everything he needs is right in front of him, that Sungjong’s life is perfect as it is and he does not need to be anywhere else but here.

Myungsoo prepared the best gifts he could have ever prepare and went straight to Sungjong’s house. He showed up with a complete set of breakfasts and gifts for Sungjong’s family. Health, beauty and food related gifts. He wants this weekend to be the best weekend Sungjong and his family could have.

As he was waiting for Sungjong before leaving, he saw his mom, staring at him with such pitiful eyes. They were teary eyed, both from being touched at his efforts and sadness. Her eyes were filled with mixed emotions that he does not know what those emotions even mean. But one thing’s for sure, he could clearly see the sadness overpowering her other emotions.

    “Myungsoo!” Sungjong called out which diverted his attention to him. Coming down the stairs was the most precious person Myungsoo had ever met. Everything he was feeling a while ago was now replaced with excitement and love. He thought, it does not matter what happens after this weekend, he just wanted to make sure he’ll end it with Sungjong, still by his side, and never leaving his side.

    “Hi.” Was all Myungsoo managed to say when Sungjong was right in front of him. “L-let’s go?” Sungjong nodded as he yelled goodbye to his mom.

 

Myungsoo took Sungjong to a nice restaurant. It was nice and cozy, enough to make Sungjong comfortable with his surroundings. They had a nice lunch, followed by watching a movie and ending the day with a stroll in the park.

It was a cold night. Myungsoo took the chance to keep Sungjong by his side by keeping him warm. It was a simple gesture, but sweet enough to make Sungjong’s heart beat faster. Having Myungsoo by his side was something unimaginable 2 years ago.

A lot had happened ever since he saw Myungsoo for the first time during sophomore year. It flashed before his eyes; the beautiful but painful memories of having Myungsoo in his life. I guess this is when he could always confirm to himself that Myungsoo still makes the most of his student life.

Everything seemed to be connected with Myungsoo and there was never a second that he hated it. Blinded by love, if he could say. Even the worst day turns into the best, as long as he have Myungsoo, he thought.

As he was slowly getting lost into his thoughts with Myungsoo, the image of Sungyeol comes creeping in. He’s in love with Sungyeol, but not in a way that he loves Myungsoo. If he were to put it in to words, Sungyeol’s ‘just a friend.’ But sometimes, he gets confused. He never really know if he confuse his love for him as a friend into something romantically, or it’s the other way around.

What if he really loves Sungyeol now and just having the thought of Myungsoo being by his side now, when he was unreachable back then, feeds his emotions and confuses it as if he still loves Myungsoo? When all along, he just wanted this to happen back then, and now that he gets to do it, his brain tricks him into thinking that Myungsoo’s still the one?

 

His thoughts were scattered when Myungsoo suddenly shook him. “Hey, you okay?” Myungsoo asked.

    “Huh? Oh...” Sungjong nodded. “Yup. Hmm-mm. I’m okay.” He smiled.

    “Oh, alright.” Myungsoo smiled back.

Myungsoo looked at him, filled with curiosity. “What were you thinking about?”

    “Nothing.” Sungjong shook his head and smiled. “It’s nothing. I’m just trying to catch up with my school works.”

    “Is it too much? I could help you!” Myungsoo offered.

    “No, no. It’s fine. It’s just that I feel pressured to catch up. School year’s ending soon and I just…” Sungjong sighed before finishing his sentence. “I felt like it was a bad idea to transfer when…”

    “When you could’ve graduated with us.” Myungsoo cut him off. He sighed, then looked at Sungjong eyes directly, before patting his head. “I’m sorry.”

Sungjong was startled with Myungsoo’s words and actions. “Sorry for what?”

    “For everything. If it wasn’t for me, and maybe Sungyeol…but mostly me. If it wasn’t for me you could’ve graduated with us.”

Sungjong stared at him. He then caressed his face, “I wouldn’t graduate with you either way…” he whispered and stopped himself. “Uhm, I mean…” he messed up Myungsoo’s hair then ran away.

Myungsoo got so confused that he stood still before running after Sungjong. “Hey! Where are you going!?” he was worried at first but then Sungjong turned to look at him and laughed. “I’m going to catch you!” Myungsoo yelled while laughing with Sungjong.

They ran around the park like little kids. Sungjong ran so hard that Myungsoo tried his best to slow his pace down. He enjoyed seeing Sungjong this way. Carefree and still beautiful as ever. Myungsoo looked at the way Sungjong’s hair goes with the wind. The way his eyes and lips smile at the same time, showing the joyful Sungjong as he really was. He was back to how Myungsoo met him during sophomore.

But that happiness, still gets creeped up by sadness. Sungyeol felt like it was a goodbye, but Myungsoo mostly felt regret. He regretted not treating Sungjong better. He regretted not seeing this happy Sungjong and that he only gets to see the sad, mad and confused Sungjong. What’s worst is that those emotions were caused by Myungsoo. He wanted to see Sungjong’s smile but he failed to make him happy and that’s what making him feel all these regret and sadness that spoils the fun in that night.

 

    “Myungsoo!” Sungjong yelled when he stopped running, still keeping a far distance from him. Myungsoo stopped running too. “What?” he answered back.

    “Thank you for tonight!” Sungjong yelled again and smiled. “See you tomorrow!”

Myungsoo smiled back as he was staring at Sungjong running before he realized that he could’ve walked him home instead of staring at him like a fool and letting him run back home alone.

    “Aish!” he stomped his feet hard and hit his head, annoyed at himself.

 

 

 

The next morning, Myungsoo did the same. He brought them breakfast and more gifts while continuously being told that he doesn’t have to. But he continuously answered that he has to.

That day, Myungsoo decided to take Sungjong to the amusement park. Myungsoo wanted that day to be filled with laughter. He wanted to make the weekend to be worth spending with him and especially, to see Sungjong’s smile again. It felt like a drug. He needed to see it, even just a glimpse of it to make his day complete.

They spent the day going to rides, going through souvenirs and buying all the food they can possibly eat. As they were walking, Sungjong was startled seeing Sungyeol, Hoya, Woohyun, Dongwoo and Sunggyu sitting down and eating while waiting for them.

    “Hoya! Woohyun!” Sungjong rushed to hug the both of them, feeling super excited that they’re there. “Why are you here?”

    “Should we leave? I bet you’re enjoying his company alone too much. I’m going” Woohyun said pretending to feel bad, when suddenly Sunggyu got in his way, “Then spend the day with me.” Sunggyu winked.

Woohyun was left speechless. He scoffed, “Well I don’t have a choice, do I?” he said pissed. Sunggyu pouted which made Woohyun suddenly smile. Sunggyu was surprised he yelled, “He smiled! He smiled!” while jumping and attempting to hug him. Even Woohyun himself was surprised that he smiled, but he was thankful that he did. Because without a doubt, he did fall for Sunggyu overtime.

    “Today’s our first day.” Sunggyu said, copying the famous line. Woohyun scoffed again, “What do you mean?!”

    “What? Hoya and Dongwoo’s official, why can’t we?” Sunggyu said pointing at Hoya and Dongwoo while the other two were attempting to stop Sunggyu from spilling everything.

Everyone looked at the two. “What?!” they said in unison. Woohyun and Sungjong charged at Hoya, spanking his about hiding the fact that they finally ended up together.

    “See? They ended up together, right? So why can’t Woohyun and I be together then? After us, it’ll be Sungjong and…” Sunggyu stopped himself before he mention a name.

Everyone then shifted their gaze to Sunggyu.

    “Continue what you were saying.” Sungyeol said.

No one was talking for a good 20 seconds as the atmosphere became awkward.

After a long silence, Myungsoo decided barge in. “Sungjong and Sungyeol and Myungsoo! Right? We’ll become a trio! No one will be left behind.” He said, trying to save the happy atmosphere. He pulled Sungjong and Sungyeol in for a hug, showing how much he wants to keep the both of them by his side.

Myungsoo tried so hard not to show his real emotion. He tried not to let them show how sad he was that at the end of the day, he’ll only get to keep one by his side. Even if he admit it or not, Sungyeol became one of his best pals. Sungyeol helped him mature in a good way and if he were to change something, it was that he’ll meet Sungyeol not because of Sungjong, but he’ll meet him as his classmate and a friend.

    “Let’s go!” Sunggyu screamed, pulling Sungyeol out to his side, trying to make up with what he said.

 

That day was the one of the best days all of them had. It was a day when they didn’t thought of anything else but being happy and enjoying the day with everyone they were with. With just one of them absent, it would be meaningless. They would feel incomplete. They grew fond of each other. Sometimes, they would wish that romantic love would not exist and that it would be just plain friendship. Where you could enjoy the day with anyone you want to without feeling like you’ll hurt or offend someone, or feeling jealous that another person was able to spend time with one of the people you treasure the most.

If only it was possible to stay the way they were that day, they will. Their smiles resemble their youth and joy that they should be feeling right now. Without anything to worry about. No school, no enemies, no puberty going on, just being a kid the way they were that time.

 

But the earth seemed to be cruel, it was already late before they know it. The amusement park announced that it would closing soon, so they had to leave, separating from one another. Myungsoo took Sungjong in his car and said that they’ll just go around for a drive. Even though, Sungyeol doesn’t feel good, nor does the rest of the group feel good for Sungyeol, they let them be. They know it well how much Myungsoo and Sungjong wants to make up.

 

Myungsoo took Sungjong to a nearby beach and out some fireworks. He lit it up hoping to see an excited response from Sungjong. Unfortunately, he could only a half-hearted emotion. Sungjong isn’t good at hiding his emotions, that’s for sure. If there’s anything that he wants to hide so bad, Myungsoo could see it clear as a day. He could see Sungjong’s sadness. He could see the same emotions as what Sungjong’s mom has. He knew it was for the same reason, but whatever that reason is, he doesn’t want to know.

No. He wants to know. But he wants to avoid from knowing the reason. He knew pretty soon that the reason would come and slap him in his face but he just wants to avoid it for now. He wants to focus on seeing Sungjong’s worry-free face and hopefully, the first step would be playing with the fireworks.

He took out more fireworks. He started lighting them up. Some were colorful, some were elegant and some were simple. He stared at Sungjong and felt joy as he see Sungjong’s face slowly brightening. In a few minutes, they started playing with the fireworks just like how Myungsoo was intending. The only thing he could think of to make Sungjong smile is to play. He admits it’s childish but if it’s the only way, then he’ll do it.

After playing with all of the fireworks that seemed to be endless, they sat down and enjoyed the breeze from the cold beach in front of them. No one was talking but that moment was priceless. It was the perfect way to end the best day that they could have possibly spent together.

 

    “Myungsoo.”

    “Hmm?”

    “Thank you.”

Myungsoo changed his gaze to Sungjong. “There you go again.” He smiled.

    “No, seriously. Thank you. For everything. I know how hard you’re trying to make the days we spent together happy. It’s just that, I tend to think about the future more compared to the present.”

Myungsoo turned to face Sungjong. “Does that mean the future you’re thinking about is sad?”

    “What do you mean?”

    “If you said that I’m trying to make you happy but it’s not what you’re showing because of the future, then does that mean the future you’re thinking about…it will get sad?”

Sungjong turned to face Myungsoo and stared at him in the eyes.

    “I’m afraid so.” He said as he tried to keep himself from tearing up. “But, I will try not to make it like that.” He continued.

    “Then…how will you do it?” Myungsoo asked.

    “By stopping what could happen to make the future sad.”

It was all too confusing for Myungsoo. But he felt like Sungjong’s going to make a decision that could either make him happy or sad. He didn’t want to ask any further questions. He let Sungjong remain quiet because knowing too much could be the worst thing that could happen.

They changed their gaze back to the sea.

    “Myungsoo.”

    “Hmm?”

    “I want to go home now.” Sungjong said as his voice shake.

    “Hmm.” Myungsoo answered without looking at Sungjong.

Myungsoo helped Sungjong stood up and he didn’t realized that he was walking ahead. Sungjong intentionally stopped to stare at Myungsoo. He stared at Myungsoo from head to toe. This was the figure that he keeps on wanting to see. This person that makes him happy, that even without all those efforts he made, he would still be happy as much as he is right now. This was the man he wanted to keep by his side.

    “Myungsoo.” He yelled. Myungsoo turned around, surprised to see that Sungjong stayed where they were earlier.

    “Why are you still there?”

    “I have something to say!” Sungjong said without answering Myungsoo’s question. Myungsoo stared at him and smiled. “What is it?”

 

Sungjong took a deep breath.

    “I still like you!”

 

Myungsoo doesn’t need to ask Sungjong to repeat himself because he heard him loud and clear. He smiled and ran towards Sungjong. He hugged him so tight as if he will never let go. And he doesn’t want to let go. It was a perfect night as it is and with Sungjong’s confession, he was ready to continue doing what he was doing and make sure to keep Sungjong by his side all the time.

 

The drive home was happier than it was in the amusement park. Myungsoo didn’t let go of Sungjong’s hand until they get home.

    “I wanted to sleep here if I can.”

    “I’m sorry but you can’t.” Sungjong teased.

Myungsoo pouted. “Really?”

    “Hmm-mmm.” Sungjong responded.

He took Sungjong in for a hug.

 

    “I love you.”

 

Myungsoo blurted out. Sungjong couldn’t response as he felt his tears building up. He hugged him tighter as a response while carefully wiping his tears, trying hard not to show Myungsoo.

    “You should go now. It’s late.”

    “You’re not going to respond?” Myungsoo pouted again.

    “One confession at a time.” Sungjong said again, teasing.

 

Myungsoo stayed for a minute, staring at Sungjong before he drove home. As he was pulling away, he saw a figure similar to a man familiar to him.

    “Sungyeol?”

 

 

As Sungjong was going in, someone called out to him, not far from their house. He turned around to see Sungyeol standing, which seemed like he was waiting for them to arrive for such a long time.

    “Sungyeol? What are you doing here?”

Sungyeol didn’t respond, but Sungjong could clearly see Sungyeol’s emotions full of sadness, disappointment and anger.

    “Is this about Myungsoo? I can explain…”

    “No.”

Sungjong was confused. “N-no?” Sungyeol didn’t respond and just stared at him. Sungjong cleared his throat, “Okay. Just tell me what’s on your mind so I…”

    “Are you leaving?” Sungyeol cut him off.

Sungjong was startled that he couldn’t response properly. “Uhm wh-what leaving…what do you mean…”

    “Are you leaving?” Sungyeol asked again, firmly.

Again, Sungjong couldn’t response. He lightly shook his head and avoided Sungyeol’s gaze.

    “You’re lying.” Sungyeol said, with his voice shaking. “You’re leaving.”

Sungjong turned to Sungyeol, “No. I’m not leaving.”

    “Yeah. You’re not leaving. Your whole family will.”

    “Wh-what are you talking about…”

    “Don’t play dumb with me.” Sungyeol’s tears started streaming down his face. “You’re leaving. That’s why you’re doing this, aren’t you?”

Sungjong couldn’t response. He felt bad enough that he’s seeing Sungyeol cry before his eyes, and he know that every response he’ll say will hurt Sungyeol more.

    “I saw your mom with a moving company. I saw boxes and I saw the things in your house being loaded in the truck. I saw everything Sungjong. I saw everything!” Sungyeol argued as he was trying hard not cry but his emotions kept getting the best of him.

    “No.” Sungjong argued. “No, we’re not leaving. You misunderstood everything. I’m not gonna leave you, Hoya, Woohyun and Myungsoo. I’m not gonna leave all of you. Please, don’t think that way.”

Sungyeol didn’t respond and just stared into Sungjong’s eyes. He knew perfectly what was happening and even if he misunderstood it this time, he knew that anytime soon, it could happen. Sungyeol knows Sungjong enough to know if he was lying. But this time, he wasn’t sure. He doesn’t know if Sungjong changed, or that he might be thinking all the worst thing that could happen by himself.

He wanted to hear something from Sungjong but he knew that whatever it is, if it’s a lie or the truth, it will both hurt him like getting stab right before your very eyes. He can’t be wrong. All of the evidences were clear. Sungjong was leaving. He was. But he kept saying he won’t. And Sungyeol wanted to believe it but his heart seems to be halfway believing and doubting.

Sungjong then pulled Sungyeol in for a hug.

    “Don’t leave me, please.” Sungyeol pleaded.

Sungjong sighed and nodded, trying to keep his emotions from showing. “I’m not leaving you.” He answered back.

    “I will be here tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, the day after that and the day after that…”

 

Sungjong felt as if he’s feeling the same amount of pain as what Sungyeol’s going through that night. It was unbearable. It was something he had never experienced before and he wishes not to experience. Having that pain in his chest made him wanting to reassure Sungyeol of something. That he’s not leaving.

He made sure to make Sungyeol feel the assurance that he’ll be there no matter what. He wanted to send Sungyeol home feeling better and feeling that he will never leave anyone behind. He wanted Sungyeol to feel that he had it all wrong. It was supposed to be the best day that everyone will experience and he wanted Sungyeol to feel that joy. He made sure to make Sungyeol know that they’re as one. Wherever it is that one’s at, the other one should be there, too.

 

But Sungjong was a great liar that night. Sungjong lied about staying. He lied about not leaving anyone and he lied about being there the next day. Because the moment Sungyeol arrived at his house first thing in the morning…

 

Sungjong was gone.