Chapter 20 - Reconciliation

The watch you wanted to give me on March 14

Sakura POV

 

I came back home after meeting Ryosuke’s mother and saw that Ryosuke was back home already.

 

“I’m home!! Ah Ryosuke! You’re back already? I bought some puddings! Come have some!! Ah!!”

 

The next moment I realized Ryosuke was hugging me tightly...

 

“....... Ryosuke….?”

 

“.............” Ryosuke was still keeping silence.

 

“Ryosuke…? What happened? Are you not feeling well?” I patted Ryosuke on his back. He seems to be behaving weirdly today…

 

“Thank you… Sakura…” Ryosuke finally spoke.

 

“Hmm…? Oh, for the puddings? Don’t take it to heart!! I didn’t know you like puddings so much haha~”

 

“No…… not for the puddings…”

 

“........ hmm......?” I moved away from Ryosuke, and saw his teary eyes.

 

“Ryosuke? What happened?” I caressed his cheeks, feeling very worried.

 

“You met my mother right?”

 

“........!!!!!!!!!! How did…”

 

“I followed you just now…”

 

“.......... What…? Didn’t you have tuition…?” I frowned at his confessions.

 

“That was a lie, I received my mid-term results today, and I did very well for it. So I wanted to give you a surprise at your workplace and I lied to you that I have tuition tonight.”

 

“........... Ah…. I see...”

 

“....... But you ran at a direction different from home after you got off work, so I just followed you...” Ryosuke was still looking earnestly at me.

 

“.......... Sorry…. I didn’t meant to hide it from you… I just… AHH!!” As I was trying to explain, fearing that Ryosuke will get angry, he grabbed me into his arms again.

 

“I know… I know all your intentions…” Ryosuke’s strength got even stronger.

 

“.......... Ryosuke……”

 

“Thank you, Sakura… Thank you for loving me so much…”

 

“......... Ryosuke… Don’t forget… Your mother loves you a lot too…”

 

“.............. I know… I saw her delighted face listening to you reciting stories about me.”

 

“......... Then Ryosuke… Are you willing to forgive her already…? She is very remorseful for her actions, she has also apologized to me, so can you…” I was trying hard to help change Ryosuke’s impressions of his mother.

 

“Sakura!” Ryosuke pulled me away from his hug.

 

Seems like Ryosuke is trying to stop me from saying further… I guess… He is not ready yet…

 

“Don’t say anymore… I know… I’ve actually more or less forgave my mother…”

 

“............!!!!! RYOSUKE!! REALLY?!?!?!” I looked at Ryosuke with my widely open eyes and smile.

 

“.......... Yeah…… And it’s your wish that I can reconcile with my mother too, right?”

 

“....... Of course!!..... Ryosuke…… You must remember that family is always the most important people to you. I’ve already lost mine, so I don’t want you to lose yours too…” My parents’ faces appeared in my mind again.

 

I miss them… I miss my parents…

 

“..... Sakura… Sorry… You must be thinking of your parents again, right?”

 

“........ No worries! I have you by my side right now, and that’s enough for me.” I gave Ryosuke a wide smile to assure him I am alright.

 

“You said it… Don’t ever leave me, alright?”

 

“...... I won’t…… I can’t bear to…”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

While we are having our puddings on the sofa, I was trying to bring up the topic of Ryosuke’s mother to him again.

 

“Ryosuke... I… The…” , I stumbled on my words. How should I say it…?

 

“What? What are you muttering?”

 

“.....The… Your… Do you…”

 

“Sakura, just say it, I won’t get angry…” Ryosuke caressed my my cheeks to calm me down.

 

“........... Do you… want to meet up with your mother…? It’s been long since she last seen you, and… she looks troubled tonight… So I thought…” I said it slow as I am feeling worried that Ryosuke might not want to meet his mother yet...

 

“..............”

 

Ryosuke is keeping silence again… Sigh, I guess he still needs a little more time…

 

“Sure…” Ryosuke replied after a short silence.

 

“!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY?!?!?!?!?” I was overjoyed!!

 

“Silly girl, why are you even happier than anyone else?”

 

“Because!! I really am!!!” I couldn’t close my mouth from smiling, and was just a step away from jumping with joys.

 

“Silly girl… Come over…”

 

Ryosuke wrapped my neck with one of his arms, and I landed on his chest. Using the same hand, he sweeped my fringe to one side, and using his other hand, he clipped something onto my hair.

 

“...... What’s this…?” My hands went to touch the metal-like thing which Ryosuke clipped onto my hair.

 

“It’s a Sakura hairpin for my dear Sakura.”

 

“......!!! Ryosuke… Thank you!! I’ll cherish it!!!”

 

Tonight, I am happy, seriously happy!

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Two days later, I arranged another meeting with Ryosuke’s mother.

 

“Good evening! Matsumoto-san!!” I smiled widely upon seeing Ryosuke’s mother entering the cafe.

 

“Good evening. The interval is short this time round, is there anything important you want to tell me?”

 

So far, we usually meet once every two to three weeks, it was not surprising that Ryosuke’s mother find this meeting so soon after our last meeting two days ago.

 

“Erm… Actually… Someone else is meeting you today…”

 

Ryosuke was sitting on another table just behind me, back-facing his mother. I stood up and walked over to pull Ryosuke over and got him to sit at the place I was sitting earlier.

 

“............ I brought Ryosuke here!!! Have a good chat!!! I’ll go for some shopping now!!!”

 

I said and left the cafe, giving the mother and son some time for themselves.

 

I took a stroll along the quiet streets, and when I was crossing the bridge, I saw someone familiar coming from the opposite direction.

 

“....... Miki…?”

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Ryosuke POV

 

I sat down in front of my mother and silence began. Neither one of us was planning to break the silence. But after one or two minutes, I took the courage to start the conversation.

 

“............ Mother… Did you lose weight?”

 

That was the first sentence for my mother. I asked that because what I am seeing now isn’t a strong and cold woman I thought to be, my mother was looking more fragile and weaker than before.

 

“Did I? I’m having a diet recently, glad to hear that it’s effective.” My mother lied to me with smiles. But I can see through her totally.

 

“Don’t lie to me. It hurts me to see that, because it means you find me not dependable.”

 

“Ryosuke, I don’t mean that! I just…”

 

“I know, you just don’t want me to worry. But, I’m your son, right…?” To be honest I do feel a little embarrassed saying this, but, I feel my mother is facing some problems as well after meeting her.

 

What Sakura felt wasn’t wrong, my mother must be hiding some things from me…

 

“.......... Ryosuke...…”

 

“Are you facing issues in the company?”

 

“...........!!!! Why do you ask so…?”

 

“Other than your problematic son, the company is probably the only thing which could make you reveal such a troubled face.”

 

“..................................”

 

“Tell me, mother…” I realized I could naturally call my mother properly.

 

I guess I have changed, and it is all thanks to Sakura.

 

My mother started telling me about the crisis that the company is currently facing. Miki’s father, a huge customer of Yamada’s Holdings, is trying to withdraw handling business with us. I’m guessing it must be Miki’s tactic to force me to marry her.

 

“What is the situation now?” I asked my mother.

 

“We ordered a few tonnes of goods, amounting to a few billions which was supposed to be sold to Yamamoto’s Holdings. If they refuse to accept the goods, then it’s probably going to land us in huge debts.” My mother revealed a really worried face.

 

“Can we sell them to other customers?”

 

“We are still in the midst of finding customers who can accept those goods, but so far, the progress isn’t going too well…”

 

“............ I’ll come back and help you.”

 

Yes, I made a huge decision. I can’t leave my mum to handle all these alone. Although I’m not sure if I am capable of handling this yet, I want to try. I am doing this not only for the sake of my family, but also for Sakura. Otherwise I am afraid that Miki might go threaten Sakura to leave me in order to save my family business. I cannot allow that to happen.

 

“Ryosuke, are you serious…?” My mother looks delighted at what I have just said.

 

“Yes… This is something father and you built together right? I cannot see it go down without doing anything.”

 

“Ryosuke…”

 

My mother held my hands, and her tears started to drop, I saw the wrinkles that appeared around her eyes. What on earth have I been doing exactly up till now? I feel guilty for my foolishness all these while...

 

I had further discussions with my mother regarding how to save the company, but I try to keep it short as I think Sakura is wandering around the neighbourhood waiting for me. I told my mother I would go to the office for further information within the next few days and bidded goodbye to her before I go find Sakura…

 

After I left the cafe, I felt really happy. As I could finally have a proper talk with my mother, and revive our relationship of a mother and son...

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

ギフト - 嵐

 

いつから大事な言葉ほど 素直に言えなくなったんだろう

Since when did I become unable to express truthfully the important words

ふと見つめた その背中は少しだけ 小さく思えた

I took a glance, and find that your silhouette is getting smaller than before

 

自分の弱さを知るたびに あなたのぬくもりを知りました

Whenever I realized my own weakness, I can feel your warmth

 

この歌が響くようにと 届くようにと 飾らないそのままの思いを

I hope this song can reach and ring in your ears, with my truthful feelings

僕がいつか誰かを 守るときがくれば あなたの手を思い出すだろう

If one day I found someone whom I must protect, I’ll definitely remember your hands

 

あなたは痛みや悲しみを 決して人に見せたりしないのに

As for your pain and sadness, you always try to hide it from others

僕の弱さを 自分の痛みかのように 小さく笑った

But towards my weakness, you took it as if the pain is on you, and gave a little smile

 

旅立つ僕に何度も何度も 生きる勇気をくれました

Many times you gave me the courage to continue my journey

 

それはまるで どこか懐かしい 匂いがするような一輪の花

It was as if, there was a nostalgic scent of some flowers

僕がいつか誰かを 守るときがくれば あなたの手を思い出すだろう

If one day I find someone whom I must protect, I’ll definitely remember your hands

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s Note: Hi readers!! I am back from Japan!! Had a great holiday, and it was hot over there!! XD Bought many stuffs and spent a lot money too… T__T Now it’s back to writing!! Updating a new chapter, and continue writing my third fanfic.

 

Arashi’s song, “GIFT” is a song dedicated for mothers, so I thought it is suitable to put it in this chapter where Ryosuke reconciles with his mother yet again. And I’m sure this is the final reconciliation they would have… =)

 

If you would like, please listen to the cover I did for this song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uelGVbHxRU

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------