Chapter 21- Leave or Die

The watch you wanted to give me on March 14

Sakura POV

 

“......Miki…?”

 

Miki appeared in front of me, and she wasn’t looking too friendly.

 

“Hah! Old woman, just what tactics have you been using on Ryosuke? To make him fall head over heels in love with you?”

 

“............ Miki, my love for him is real, and I can proudly say that.”

 

“Don’t you feel ashamed for liking someone younger than you? And I’ve checked on your family background, you are in no position to aid Yamada’s Holdings for their business expansion. Your love for Ryosuke is only going to be a burden to him!”

 

“............ Is that what you are going to say? If that’s so I’m leaving.” I was about to turn my back on Miki.

 

“You can leave if you want to, but I just want to warn you, there is nothing I can’t get in this world. The things that I’ve decided I wanted, I will get them no matter what.”

 

“And the point is?”

 

“I’ll make you leave Ryosuke willingly.”

 

“.............. I won’t leave him…”

 

“Really? Have you not heard of it? That the Yamada’s Holdings is currently facing a crisis because I asked my dad not to deal businesses with them?”

 

“...................What…?” She sure is despicable.

 

“Hah! I’ve caught your attention huh? Unless Ryosuke promises to marry me, I’ll ask my dad not to deal businesses with them again. And it’s going to be game over for Yamada’s Holdings. It’s all your fault, old woman!”

 

“...........You are despicable…….” I couldn’t refrain myself from saying that.

 

“Say whatever you want. It’s either you leave Ryosuke, or you make Ryosuke suffer.”

 

“................................”

 

What should I do…? I promised Ryosuke I will never leave him… But if I don’t, I will bring much troubles to his family. Is this my fate? Am I destined to be a jinx forever? For a moment I thought of agreeing to Miki’s request of leaving Ryosuke.

 

“And I’m scared of something even more…”

“......What is it……?”

“That you’ll leave me……. I can’t imagine what I’ll become if you leave me……”

“...............Ryosuke….. I won’t leave you…… I promised you….. Right?”

 

I recalled the conversation I had with Ryosuke when he first found out that Miki had been finding me troubles.

 

Then his frightened face when he thought I was being knocked down by the car when we were back in Nara emerged in my mind.

 

Next, his voice of asking me not to leave him umpteen times ringed in my ears.

 

I can’t.

 

I can’t leave Ryosuke.

 

He will go crazy.

 

“Have you decided?” Miki’s voice brought me back to reality.

 

“Yes. I’ve decided.”

 

“Oh? You’ve finally thought through? Make sure you get out of Ryosuke’s life completely then.”

 

“No…….. That’s not it.”

 

“....What…?” Miki frowned.

 

“I’m not leaving Ryosuke, I won’t leave him.”

 

“WHAT?!?! DO YOU REALLY LOVE RYOSUKE??? DO YOU WANT HIM TO SUFFER WITH YOU???”

 

“No matter what happens to Ryosuke, I’ll stay by his side to support him. No matter what sufferings he may experience, I’ll share the burden with him. That’s my way of loving him.”

 

“YOU CRAZY WOMAN!!!”

 

“Yeah I think I am, but I guess I’m not as crazy as you.”

 

“..............Then there is only one way to make you leave Ryosuke…”

 

“........What…?” My body shivers as I sensed something is not right.

 

“You can choose not to leave Ryosuke if you live, but what if you die? Then it’ll be a different case...”

 

“.............What are you talking about…”

 

“I’M ASKING YOU TO DIE!!! JUST DIE!!!”

 

Miki came running towards me, with her hands in a perpendicular position to her body, she looks intimidating. I couldn’t move my body, soon her hands reached my shoulders, and I felt the strength from her palms. The impact on my shoulders was so huge that I began falling backwards.

 

“AH!!!”

 

My back hit the railings on the bridge, my eyes shutted for a moment from the piercing pain. The next moment when I opened my eyes again, I saw Miki’s palms again, she was pushing me again.

 

“AHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

My upper body fell off the railings, I wanted to catch hold of something to prevent myself from falling but I couldn’t find anything to hold onto. Miki pushed me one more time on my body.

 

I’m falling down.

 

I’M FALLING DOWN!

 

Within seconds I fell into the river with strong currents.

 

I couldn’t breathe…

 

Help… Help…!!!

 

HELP ME!!! RYOSUKE!!!

 

………………………………..

 

Ah... I’m losing my consciousness…

 

Ryosuke…??

 

Ryosuke’s smiling face appeared…

 

But it disappeared soon as my vision become darker…

 

I think I am dying...

 

Ryosuke… I love you…

 

That was the last thought I had…

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Ryosuke POV

 

After I left the cafe, I walked around the streets to find Sakura. I passed by the bridge and saw a familiar figure standing there. I went closer to take a look… Ah!! It’s Sakura!!

 

She is talking to someone…?

 

I looked to the right to see who she was talking to, and it was the person I dread the most now.

 

MIKI?!?!

 

!!! Miki must be threatening Sakura to leave me!!! I need to go stop it!!!

 

Before my legs started running, I saw Miki running towards Sakura and pushing her to the railings. WHAT IS MIKI DOING?!?! Miki continued pushing Sakura which caused Sakura’s upper body to be swaying over the railings.

 

DON’T TELL ME MIKI IS PUSHING SAKURA DOWN THE BRIDGE?!?!

 

I started dashing towards Sakura, hoping to save her but the next moment, she was being pushed again by Miki.

 

“SAKURAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

I shouted at the top of my voice when I saw Sakura falling off from the bridge and eventually crashing into the river.

 

My heartbeat stopped for a moment, but soon I picked up my pace again. I ran to the riverbank and saw that the currents were very strong. Without hesitating, I jumped into the river searching for Sakura.

 

It was getting dark, and the visibility was very bad, I couldn’t see anything when I dived into the water. I swam around for a while but still couldn’t spot Sakura!!

 

I’m running out of breath!!!

 

I went out of water, preparing to take a deep breath before diving in again, it was then I saw something glittering on the water surface in a direction diagonally away from me. I squint my eyes to take a closer look.

 

Sakura petal…?

 

AH! It’s the Sakura petal hairpin I got for Sakura!!!

 

I quickly swam towards that direction, but as I got nearer, I realized that it was only the hairpin that has fallen off Sakura’s hair. Sakura was still nowhere to be found! I quickly dived back into the water at the spot where I found the hairpin, and finally I managed to spot Sakura sinking at the bottom of the river. I grabbed Sakura’s body and swam upwards.

 

“Sakura!!! I’m here!!! I’m here to save you!!!” I called Sakura’s name when we finally got out of water but she has lost her consciousness. I quickly swam back to the riverside.

 

“Sakura!! Wake up!!!” I laid Sakura’s body on the riverbank, but she wasn’t reacting to my callings.

 

I checked for Sakura’s breathing and pulse, and she had none! I started doing CPR on her, even with me doing chest compressions on her, Sakura still hasn’t resume her breathing! I continued with the CPR blowing air into Sakura through my mouth.

 

“Sakura! Wake up!!! Don’t scare me!!!”

 

Sakura still wasn’t reacting to my rescue… I don’t know what to do, I’m going crazy…

 

…………………………………….

 

*COUGHS*

 

“Sakura…????”

 

*COUGHSSSS*

 

Sakura started coughing out the water she has swallowed and resumed her breathing heavily trying to catch back her breath.

 

“SAKURA!!! I’m here!! I’m Ryosuke!!!” I placed myself right on top of Sakura to make sure she can see me once she opens her eyes.

 

“......Ryo...su...ke……” Sakura called my name using a lot of her strength.

 

“Sakura… You’ll be fine, I’ll send you to the hospital now.”

 

“......Ryosuke… I thought… I can’t see you ever again…” Sakura was on the verge of tears.

 

“Sakura, don’t waste your energy crying, ok?? I’ll send you to the hospital now…” I caressed Sakura’s face gently, she looks seriously fragile.

 

It was the first time I’m seeing Sakura like this… My heart is aching, my heart is aching really badly.

 

Apparently someone had called the ambulance, and we reached the hospital in minutes after they came.

 

Sakura received treatments and was asked to stay in hospital for the night before discharging the day after.

 

I watched Sakura’s face as she sleeps. I felt useless, I kept making Sakura suffer for me. The moment when I think of Sakura’s pain, tears start flowing down my cheeks.

 

“Ryosuke…” I heard Sakura’s voice.

 

I quickly wiped away my tears before she sees me crying.

 

“Ryosuke… Are you crying?” The first thing Sakura asked was that after she woke up.

 

“No, I’m not…” I can’t make Sakura worry even more.

 

“Don’t lie to me… And sorry… I… made you worried again…” I couldn’t hide anything from Sakura.

 

“Sakura, I’m the one to be sorry. I shouldn’t let Miki have the chance to bully you over and over again. I should have handled this issue properly…”

 

“......arghh…” Sakura released sounds of pain as she try to sit up.

 

“Sakura, don’t force yourself, just lie down.” I stood up from my chair trying to get Sakura back to lying on the bed.

 

But Sakura grabbed onto my arms and used her remaining strength to sit up, and pulled me to sit on the bed before she hugged me.

 

“Ryosuke, it’s not your fault either… Do you know? When Miki asked me to leave you, I almost gave in to her request. But your saddened face appeared in my mind, your lonely voice rang in my ears, I tell myself, I can’t leave you. I just can’t make you sad.”

 

Sakura hugged me tighter and tighter as she speaks.

 

“I won’t lose to Miki, because my love for you is so much more than hers. So don’t worry, I won’t leave you.”

 

“Sakura…” My tears flowed down non-stop, I was very touched by what Sakura had said.

 

“I’ve decided.”

 

“...... hmm...?” Sakura let go of me and gave me a confused face.

 

“I seriously need to handcuff you to me from now on and never let you go out of my sight again.”

 

“Stop joking…” Sakura pinched my nose as she smiled at my suggestion.

 

And I accompanied Sakura in the hospital that night...

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

ボクの背中には羽根がある - KinKi Kids

 

ずっと君と生きてくんだね

I wanna live together with you forever

胸に頬寄せて確かめる

Place your cheeks on my heart to confirm my feelings

どんな辛い未来が来ても

No matter what obstacles we may face in future

二人だったら乗り切れるさ

If we are together, we can overcome it

嘘じゃないよ

I’m not lying

今 “優しさ”に触ったみたい

Right now, I feel like I’ve touched “gentleness”

 

ずっと君と生きてくんだね

I wanna live together with you forever

ボクの背中には羽根がある

The wings are growing on my back

どんな夢もかなう気がする

I feel whatever wish I may have, they will all come true

君を抱いて空も飛べる

Just by hugging you, the sky can fly

嘘じゃないよ

I’m not lying

今“幸福”に触ったみたい

Right now, I feel like I’ve touched “happiness”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s Note: Miki has started her cunning actions in this chapter, but it further confirms Sakura’s feelings for Ryosuke...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------