Chapter 5 - I Need You

The watch you wanted to give me on March 14

Sakura POV

 

As I watch Ryosuke sleep, my hands naturally went up to his hairs, like how I always do it in the past… It feels the same, the Ryosuke who sleeps soundly beside me is the same from ten years ago… The only difference is he doesn’t know who I am now… But it’s alright, I don’t need him to remember me, I just want him to be happy…

 

“Sakura…….”

 

!!! Did I wake Ryosuke up?? I quickly moved my body away and pretended to be asleep.

 

Suddenly… I feel some heavy weight landing on my right shoulders…

 

I opened my eyes, and saw Ryosuke leaning on me and calling my name, “...Sa..ku...ra…”

 

Is he… dreaming of me?

 

I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him to sleep, I missed this… I missed the Ryosuke who sleeps in my hug… He’s back… he’s back to me….

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

ずっと抱きしめたい - KinKi Kids

 

僕の肩で寝てる君が

The you who sleeps on my shoulders

弱く見えて 愛しいから

Is looking fragile and cute

そっとシーツで 包みたいよ そう

It makes me wanna cover you with the blankets

時計の音も 止めたくて

And the urge to stop the clock from ticking

 

ドアを開けて さよならをしようとしたら

As I try to bid goodbye to you at the door

君の頬に 光る涙 僕を止めた

The tears that shine on your cheeks stopped me

 

世界中が みんな僕の敵だって

Even if the whole world goes against me

君がいれば きっと 僕は生きていける

If you are with me, I would definitely be able to survive

 

心につき刺さった

A heart piercing pain

こわれるような気がした

When I realise everything could be over

今の言葉 僕に 何度も

The words that come to me countless time is

ずっと抱きしめたい

I want to embrace you forever

何も言わずにただ

Don’t say anything

この腕が 二度と ほどけぬように

Just don’t let go of this hand ever again

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Ryosuke POV

 

I woke up feeling really good, it felt like someone was hugging me when I was sleeping… It can't be Sakura right? Speaking of which, where is she? Ah, there's some onigiri on the table, and… a note,

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ryosuke, I’m going to work. Made some onigiri for you. Eat them and take care on the way home.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

……

 

Why is she so kind to me?

 

I started eating the onigiri, it tasted soooo good. How I wish I can have Sakura’s home-cooked meal daily…

 

Wait… This is weird… Why do I keep having such thinkings…?

 

I was about to leave Sakura’s house when I spotted her wallet on the side table. I thought I should bring it to her… And out of curiosity, I opened her wallet to see…

 

“Is this Sakura…?”

 

I saw a teenage girl photo...and someone was standing beside her… Who’s that? The photo has faded, and I can't see the boy’s face clearly… I feel my heart getting tightened again… It’s painful… Why…?

 

Is this the person she wanted to protect…?

 

I kept thinking of that on the way to the convenience store Sakura works at. I was just few steps away from the store and I saw three person walking in, AH isn’t that Keito? And his two followers! Why is he here again? I need to go in quickly to check up on Sakura.

 

“APOLOGISE!!!”

 

I heard someone shouting that while I was about to enter the store, I went in and saw Keito pushing the heads of his two followers to bow to Sakura.

 

“Keito… It’s alright, really…” Sakura looked at Keito and said.

 

“NO, I want them to apologise properly to you.” “Chinen and Daiki! Quick! Apologise!” Keito was shouting at his two followers.

 

“Sorry…” Chinen and Daiki apologised to Sakura as instructed by Keito.

 

“Alright, I accept your apologies, so just raise your heads ok?”

 

“Sakura-chan, I’m sorry for causing you troubles, and your injuries too…” Keito went up to Sakura and held her hands again. AHHHH I CAN’T STAND THIS.

 

“HEY KEITO! TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF SAKURA!” I went up to grab Keito’s hands and took them away from Sakura’s arms.

 

“AH, shortie coward, why are you here?”

 

“WHAT DID YOU SAID? YOU WHITE-FACED BASTARD!”

 

“STOP!!!!!!!!!!!” Sakura shouted louder than either one of us.

 

“I SAID BEFORE RIGHT? IF YOU WANNA QUARREL THEN GET OUT!!”

 

“......................” Keito and I looked away from each other and kept quiet…

 

“Why are you here, Ryosuke? Didn’t I ask you to go home?”

 

“Ah… I’m here to pass you your wallet…”

 

“Ah, ok… thanks…”

 

“Sakura-chan, why does he have your wallet??” HAHA! Keito is feeling jealousy, I feel like I have won him already.

 

“You wanna know?” I was trying to piss Keito more.

 

“What? I’m not asking you!” Keito was getting more agitated.

 

*COUGH* Sakura coughed loud enough for us to hear and we both kept quiet again.

 

“Thanks Ryosuke, and you should go home already.” Arghh Sakura is chasing me home again.

 

“....... I don’t…” wanna go home…

 

“Go home and take a bath first and I’ll introduce you to our store manager. I told him you are keen in working here.”

 

“Huh… I haven’t agree yet…”

 

“You can start for a few days first, if you really don't like it you can quit anytime.”

 

“I…”

 

“You don't want it?

 

“Alright, I’ll be back later…” Sakura pushed me real hard on my back.

 

It's not that I don't know I am always wasting my time wandering around, it's just that I have no motivations for anything. Now that Sakura is pushing me to work here, I don't really hate it…

 

“Sakura-chan! Can I work here too?” Argghh it’s Keito again, “then I can see you more often!”

 

“Erm.. I can introduce you to the store manager too.”

 

Sakura didn’t reject him!? That Keito! Arrghh! I can't let him get close to Sakura!

 

At this point, one man in his forties entered the store.

 

“Ah Sugimoto-san! You’re here early, I’ll like to introduce you to two more students who are interested in working part-time here. This is Ryosuke, and this is Keito.” Sakura introduced us to the store manager.

 

……………………..

 

After a short interview, somehow both Keito and me were accepted by Sugimoto-san to work here...

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Sakura POV

 

Ryosuke… Thanks for willing to work here together with me. I am a selfish person, I want you to stay near me, so that I can look after you, protect you, and try to mediate your relationship with your mother. I know that you hate going home because of your mother’s pressure on you, but I want you to slowly talk to her about this, and not just running away from problems. In order to persuade you, I need time, I need you to be around me. This is just what I can do for you…

 

“Ryosuke, go home and take a rest first, you probably didn’t have a good sleep yesterday right?” After the short interview with Sugimoto-san, I asked Ryosuke to go back home to rest as last night he only slept on the sofa, I thought it would be uncomfortable for him.

 

“No… I had a good sleep…” Ryosuke said gently and looked away.

 

I’m relieved… that he’s currently comfortable around me… But… what if he knows that I’m the reason for his dad’s death? He would probably hate me right…? And also Ryosuke’s mother… If she knows Ryosuke is in contact with me, she would definitely get very angry… But right now I can’t think of so much, I’ll just do what I can bit by bit…

 

“Sakura.” Ryosuke called me.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Who’s the guy in the picture you placed in your wallet?”

 

“!!!!!!!!!!!” Did he see it…?

 

“The photo kinda faded, so I can’t see his face…”

 

“............Why do you wanna know about it…?”

 

“........I feel like I need to know about it…”

 

“............... He’s the person… I told you about…” And the person is you, Ryosuke…

 

“I guessed so… Do you want me to help you find him? Though the photo has faded, but you can remember his face right? You can piece his features for me and I’ll find him for you.”

 

!!!!!!!!!!!! What is Ryosuke talking about?!?! I don’t need to find him! He’s just right in front of me!!!

 

“Ryosuke… It’s alright, thanks for your help.” What excuses should I say…?

 

“Why? I thought you wanna find him?”

 

“..............I already found him…” And I said it.

 

“............you already… found him?” Ryosuke looks really disappointed.

 

“Hm…” I nod my head.

 

“I see… Then take it I didn’t say anything… I’m going off first…”

 

“Ryo…” I saw him leaving and I couldn’t bring myself to call him.... I’m scared… I’m scared I will tell him the truth… I can’t tell him yet, at least… not now…

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Ryosuke POV

 

Sakura has found “him” already…? Does this mean there is no hope between Sakura and me anymore?? I felt a sudden loneliness… I want Sakura to be mine… My mind hasn’t stop thinking of this since I left for home...

 

“You’re finally home? I don’t get to see you even once a week.”

 

Oh god why is that old woman at home now. Ah it’s a Saturday, no wonder…

 

“...............” I ignored her question and continued walking to my room.

 

“Ryosuke! I’m talking to you!”

 

“I have nothing to talk to you.”

 

“HOLD ON.”

 

“What?”

 

“How long more do you plan to waste your time away wandering like a lost kid?”

 

“I’ve just decided to stop wandering around today.”

 

“Oh really? So I guess you are coming to the office and learn about our company?”

 

“No, I’ve found a part-time job in a convenience store.” And this lady is going to shout at me.

 

“WHAT? WHAT ARE YOU THINKING OF? YOU’RE THE HEIR OF YAMADA’S HOLDINGS!!”

 

“Whether I am a heir of Yamada’s Holdings or not, this is my life, and I will lead how I want it to be.”

 

“You! I’ll………”

 

“Madam, calm down, I don’t think it’s a bad thing for Master to work in a convenience store. He’ll get to face a lot of different people, and I believe the work experiences would help him become a better person.” Naito tried to speak up for me.

 

“................. By the way I’ll plan for your marriage with Miki-chan after you graduate from high school.” Yamamoto Miki is the daughter of some businessmen and that old woman wants me to marry her.

 

“HUH? I am not your puppet! You don’t decide my life for me! I’LL NOT MARRY HER.” I shouted at the old woman and dashed back to my room.

 

“RYOSUKE!!!!!!!!!”

 

…………….. I hate this! I hate my life!! Why?? Why can’t I lead a normal life like others?? I want to make friends, I want to do what I like, but why can’t I?? Suddenly… Sakura’s face appeared in my mind…

 

“Sakura… Help me…” I cried in my bed, wishing Sakura would come save me…

 

*RINGSSS*

 

Who’s calling me…? I took my phone and saw an unknown number… I didn’t want to pick it up, but my hands wasn’t listening to me…

 

“Hello? Who’s this?”

 

“Ryosuke? It’s Sakura.”

 

!!!!!!!!!! Sakura??? Why does she have my number?? And… calling me just when I need her… I feel my emotions bursting, I want to cry……

 

“I got your number from Yuto.” Sakura continued saying.

 

“Oh… is there anything for me…?” I tried to control my crying...

 

“...... Nothing actually… Just somehow… I feel you’re calling for me…”

 

……………. My tears started falling non-stop, I cried so hard I can’t even speak properly…

 

“Are you alright? Do you want to meet up with me?”

 

“..............”

 

“..............Ryosuke, I’ll be with you… Don’t worry…”

 

!!!!!!!!!!! This!!!!!!! The exact same sentence that I dreamt of!!!! What’s happening?!?!?! Why?!?!? Ahh! My head hurts!!!

 

“Sakura… Help me!!!!” My head hurts so much!!

 

“Ryosuke!! Where are you?!?!”

 

“I’ll… go find you…” I tried to withstand the pain in my head, and left the house to find Sakura.

 

I need her, I want her by my side…

 

I ran in the direction of Sakura’s house, as fast as I could, and when I was almost reaching, I saw Sakura, she came running to me after she saw me as well, as fast as she could. When our bodies got nearer, we hugged each other. It’s weird, why do I desire for her hug? But I don’t care already, I need her, I want her to give me warm.

 

“Everything’s alright, Ryosuke…” Sakura my hairs and patted my back.

 

“Sakura……” I cried even louder in her embrace.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: A chapter that shows the bond between Sakura and Ryosuke is strong despite Ryosuke’s lost memories of his past. Seems like the relationship between Sakura and Ryosuke is changing...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------