Chapter 26 - The Watch

The watch you wanted to give me on March 14

Ryosuke’s POV

 

How long has it been…?  

 

Sitting on the bench outside the operating theatre…

 

How many nurses have I seen running past by?

 

Going in and out of Sakura’s operating theatre…

 

How many times have I recalled?

 

My lost memories with Sakura…

 

Her cute smiles, her small hands, her warm hugs, her soothing voice…

 

It’s all coming back to me and hitting me hard.

 

What have I been doing all these years?

 

Why did I forget such important memories to me?

 

Sakura…

 

You…

 

Must be fine…

 

I am…

 

Going crazy…

 

“Master! Have some food! You’ve been sitting here without food and drinks for the past ten hours.”

 

“Naito… I’m not hungry…”

 

“Master, if you don't eat then you won't have the stamina to look after Sakura-san later on. I’m sure Sakura-san would be fine. She loves you so much, she won't leave you so easily.”

 

“........ Give it to me…” Naito is right… I need to… look after Sakura...

 

“Yes! Master!”

 

I gobbled down the food which I could taste nothing. I want to eat Sakura’s home cooked dishes…

 

“Naito.”

 

“Yes? Master?”

 

“Is the watch with you?”

 

“Watch? What watch?”

 

“The Sakura petal watch which I borrowed money from you to buy for Sakura ten years ago.”

 

“Ah… Yes it is…... WAIT! MASTER!!! HOW DO YOU KNOW OF THAT WATCH?!?! HAVE YOU…”

 

“Yes, I remembered everything. Seeing Sakura suffering from the same fate as my father triggered back my memories...”

 

“Master, though it’s not a suitable time to say, but I’m really glad that you could regain your memories…”

 

“Naito… Thanks… Thanks for taking care of a brat like me without any complaints all these while...”

 

“Master, you’re just like a grandson to me. I feel really blessed to be part of your life accompanying you as you grow up.”

 

“Naito… Please continue to stay beside me. I can’t bear to see any of my close ones leaving me again…”

 

“Master…”

 

*CLICKS*

 

The lights of the operating theatre went off!!!

 

The next moment I see the doctors coming out of the operating theatre!

 

“How’s Sakura?!?!?!” I ran up to the doctors as I couldn’t wait for even a millisecond!

 

“The operation is successful at the moment but…”

 

“............. but……..?” My fear was building up…

 

“She has suffered from heavy brain damage, and has already entered into deep coma before the operation. We cannot eliminate the possibility that she might become a vegetable.”

 

“.............................”

 

WHAT…

 

DID I JUST HEARD………..?

 

I felt my world turning upside down.

 

Before I could react further, I heard sounds coming from behind me.

 

“Master! Sakura is out!”

 

I turned back to take a look, and saw them pushing the bed carrying Sakura out of the operating theatre.

 

I almost couldn’t recognise her…

 

Her head and neck was heavily bandaged, her face has lost its colour, her pale face further contrast the dark red bruises on her face...

 

“Sakura… I’m Ryosuke… I’m here… Don’t worry… I’ll be with you this time...” I went up to hold her hands and followed where they were bringing Sakura to.

 

They separated us at the entrance of the ICU room, right before I could caress Sakura’s pale-looking face…

 

I want to touch Sakura so much… But my hands can’t reach her…

 

I could only feel the coldness from touch of the glass panel…

 

I saw the nurses inserting a lot of tubes into Sakura, Sakura had to rely on the life support equipment to continue breathing…

 

They told me that Sakura was to stay in the ICU for the next three days under tight supervisions.

 

While I could only stay outside of the room, looking at her weakened body through the glass panel, I can only stay by Sakura’s side, waiting for time to pass, and hoping she will wake up soon.

 

“Ryosuke… I brought you some food…”

 

Hmm…? Who is calling me…?

 

I looked up and saw my mother, who was looking as pale.

 

“Mother, are you feeling alright?”

 

“Not really, but I have to hang on, because I need to take care of you and Sakura.”

 

“.......... Mother…” My tears started dropping again…

 

Next moment, I felt warm around my shoulders, the warm from my mother…

 

“Ryosuke…… Sakura will be fine…”

 

*BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP*

 

…………………..!!! THIS SOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

I turned to look at Sakura, the red lights from the heart rate monitor was blinking non-stop!

 

Running footsteps were heard consequently, doctor and nurses were seen running into Sakura’s room!!!

 

……………!!!

 

“SAKURA!!!”

 

My heart was pounding at a rate I have never felt before.

 

*BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP*

 

“Doctor! Her blood pressure is decreasing rapidly!!”

“Her heartbeat has stopped! Prepare the defibrillator!!”

 

The voices of the doctor and nurses sounded extremely piercing to my ears.

 

I was squeezing my hands hard, so hard that it was trembling non-stop…

 

“Ryosuke… Sakura will be fine, she will be fine!!!”

 

My mother was holding onto my tightly crunched fists, trying to calm me down.

 

I can’t lose Sakura, I can’t let her leave me…

 

Please… someone… save Sakura...

 

*BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP*

 

The beeping sound came back gradually and steadily!!!

 

“Her heartbeat has returned!!!”

“Her blood pressure is back to normal too!!”

 

Sakura… she came back…

 

I know she won’t leave me alone...

 

I felt a huge burden taken off me…

 

Why am I feeling so light now…?

 

Why is my vision darkening…?

 

I want to see Sakura……

 

Sakura……

 

“RYOSUKE!! RYOSUKE!!!”

 

I heard my mother calling my name…

 

Why does she sound so panicked…?

 

I……. can’t think anymore…

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Ryosuke! Happy Valentine’s Day!!! This is chocolate for you!!!” A young Sakura passed me a small box.

 

“Thanks Sakura-chan!!! AH!! THIS IS MADE BY YOU?!?!?!” I opened the box and got a shock.

 

“....... Yes… only for you…” Sakura was blushing badly.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Naito!!! I’ve received handmade chocolate from Sakura-chan!!!”

 

“Master, then you should return Sakura-san a gift on White Day!!”

 

“White Day…?”

 

“Yes!! February 14 is Valentine’s Day, where girls would give guys they like some handmade chocolates, and March 14 is White Day, where the guys who received chocolates from the girls should return a gift to them!”

 

“Oh? Does that mean… Sakura likes me??”

 

“Master, I believe it’s so…”

 

“I’m so happy!! I’ll find a gift to give back Sakura-chan on March 14 then!!!”

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The images of my past conversations appeared, I was smiling while looking at those images…

 

Till I opened my eyes…

 

Where is this place…?

 

“Madam!! Master is awake!!”

 

“Ryosuke!! How are you feeling??” The image of my mother with a worried face came into my sight.

 

“Where is this place…?”

 

“Ryosuke, you fainted and have been sleeping for two days!”

 

Two days…?

 

Sakura…

 

“HOW IS SAKURA?!?!?!”

 

I quickly got up from the bed and was going to rush to Sakura’s ward,

 

“Ryosuke!!! Wait!! Sakura’s been transferred out of the ICU!! She’s currently in the normal ward now!” My mother held my hands and said.

 

“Mother… You’re not joking right…?”

 

“Yes, Sakura has got out of critical condition. But she has yet to wake up…”

 

“Bring me to see her…”

 

I went into Sakura’s ward, she was still sleeping soundly. The tubes that were plucked into her fragile body was taken off. But she was still wearing an oxygen mask.

 

I went to her bedside and held her hands tightly.

 

Her hands were so cold… Totally different from the one I always held onto...

 

“Sakura… I’m Ryosuke… Can you hear me? I’ll be here, I’ll stay with you until everything is over and you wake up to see me again…”

 

“Sakura… I won’t leave you alone anymore…”

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

停電の夜には-On the night of a blackout- - KinKi Kids

 

激しい嵐の夜だって 静かに時間は過ぎて行く

In the night of storm, the time still passes quietly

二人の瞳に映っていたのは…永遠

What is reflected in our eyes is… eternity

 

君さえいれば 何にもいらない

If you’re around, I won’t need anything else

未来はすべて 君のために 奇跡が起きる

The future will become a miracle, just for you

停電の夜は 何かが見えるよ

That’s why I can see something even in the night of blackout

 

君しかいない

Only you

君しか見えない

I can see only you

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s Note: Aww this chapter is heart throbbing… Will Sakura wake up for Ryosuke…?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------